COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
We've dropped our mask mandate and lifted most of the other restrictions and whadoyouknow?? Cases doubled in a week. 4208 v 8541 this week.

4aaW5ZT.gif

a2Zb4y9_460s.jpg

Shocked Futurama GIF

Shocked Oh My God GIF
Oh My God Wow GIF
Omg GIF

Highest number of infections in a day since Christmas. 👍

11064. 👍

And I am one of the few who still wears a mask indoors, I am extremely disappointed in my fellow country people that because we no longer have a mandate, no one thinks that perhaps it would be wise with these exploding numbers to still put on the not even mildly inconvenient piece of cloth.

At this point they deserve to get sick. **** em.

11064. 👍

And I am one of the few who still wears a mask indoors, I am extremely disappointed in my fellow country people that because we no longer have a mandate, no one thinks that perhaps it would be wise with these exploding numbers to still put on the not even mildly inconvenient piece of cloth.

Cathartic, isn't it?

Just, uh...just don't go peeing on anybody.

Just keep in mind that there are unvaccinated people out there who do not have a choice. My children for instance.
Hopefully for not much longer. Right now we're being told to plan on September for kids 6 months and up. However, with the way things are going between Pfizer and the CDC right now, that might throw a wrench into it. The CDC isn't exactly thrilled Pfizer came out and said a third shot is needed for its vaccine and I know there's some tension between the two at the moment. Hopefully, that doesn't mean kids end up getting screwed over with getting the vaccine in a timely manner.

Interesting mix of posting styles here. Personally I really like the way Touring Mars does it; address vaccine concerns in a calm and factual manner while also recognizing that some people actually do have legitimate concerns. That's how you turn people from sceptics into jab receivers. That's how I convinced my mom to get the vaccine (and my dad, because he does everything my mom does apparently).

Now, how many people do you think you are going to convince by going the vinegar route, serving profanity cocktails and making fun of IQs...

Just keep in mind that there are unvaccinated people out there who do not have a choice. My children for instance.
I'm talking about adults who should be able to think by themselves that this is going the wrong way fast, maybe I need to put my mask back on and keep distancing again.

Now, how many people do you think you are going to convince by going the vinegar route, serving profanity cocktails and making fun of IQs..
I appreciate the kowledge, intent and tenacity of TM and company, but at the same time I believe their efforts to be folly. These people aren't going to be convinced. They'd sooner chomp on "immunization" pellets and acquire falsified vaccination cards than actually get vaccinated.

That's assuming they actually acknowledge the risk that failure to vaccinate or make other effort to stem the spread poses to them and those around them.

Last edited:
Interesting mix of posting styles here. Personally I really like the way Touring Mars does it; address vaccine concerns in a calm and factual manner while also recognizing that some people actually do have legitimate concerns. That's how you turn people from sceptics into jab receivers. That's how I convinced my mom to get the vaccine (and my dad, because he does everything my mom does apparently).

Now, how many people do you think you are going to convince by going the vinegar route, serving profanity cocktails and making fun of IQs...
Reckon it really depends who is the target audience - a range of approaches for each type. Similar to what @TexRex says, there's no point trying convince the kind of sceptic who has gone out looking for 'reasons'. The more honest kind of uncertainty is better dealt with by addressing the source of uncertainty - if it's an anti-vaxxer video then explain why it's false, if it's general distrust then point out the data from trials and early adopters, if it's risk then try to explain comparative risks, etc.

There's a huge difference between having a low IQ and being wilfully disrespectful of facts.

Last edited:

11064. 👍

And I am one of the few who still wears a mask indoors, I am extremely disappointed in my fellow country people that because we no longer have a mandate, no one thinks that perhaps it would be wise with these exploding numbers to still put on the not even mildly inconvenient piece of cloth
So here's what it means in my life. My youngest daughter is due to fly to the Netherlands in August to start university. She has delayed this a year already due to Covid. The expectation was that in-person classes would resume again at the end of August. With the huge spike in infections over the last 10 days, this is starting to seem less likely. On the other hand, young Dutchies have been able to party for the last couple of weeks like it's 1999 ... so there is that.

Netherlands...

Hospitalisations (July 14): 14 (2 lower than 7 day average of 16
Total number of beds occupied by covid patients: 158
Deaths: 1

:lol:

Last edited:
Netherlands...

😂
You do realize there is a delay between reporting new cases and hospitalizations, right? So if today has 11k cases, it's hard to say what hospitalizations will look like in a week.

Also, as said numerous times, COVID is more than just hospitalizations and deaths.

Last edited:
Netherlands...

😂
We have a new name for people like you here in the Netherlands. A wappie.

On the other hand, young Dutchies have been able to party for the last couple of weeks like it's 1999 ... so there is that.
BUT! The Hague has apologized for the mistakes they made with removing the counter measures all at once. There was no way to know (Great Britain) that the Delta strain was that contagious.

A wappie.
I looked this up and was surprised that it's so recent, but then I've noticed a significant uptick in conspiratorial claptrap since the start of the pandemic and such a word may not have been necessary before.

Last edited:
I looked this up and was surprised that it's so recent, but then I've noticed a significant uptick in conspiratorial claptrap since the start of the pandemic and such a word may not have been necessary before.
I think that I have said it before in this thread but we Dutchies used to have a saying : Doe maar normaal dan doe je al gek genoeg. Just act normal, that is crazy enough.

Something changed in the last 10-15 years, and I suspect that it has something to do with the internet giving every moron and special one a voice and place to find each other. The Dutch sobriety is dying.

I see the mayor of Utrecht has also apologised, after over 1,000 caught COVID at an outdoor festival with 20,000 people.

The politicians have really outdone themselves during this pandemic by responding too late to just about anything, and then of course apologising afterwards.

Last edited:
I think that I have said it before in this thread but we Dutchies used to have a saying : Doe maar normaal dan doe je al gek genoeg. Just act normal, that is crazy enough.

Something changed in the last 10-15 years, and I suspect that it has something to do with the internet giving every morons and special one a voice and place to find each other. The Dutch sobriety is dying.

The politicians have really outdone themselves during this pandemic by responding too late to just about anything, and then of course apologising afterwards.
We typically want instant gratification, to be done with the virus. Too bad, but the virus is not done with us. 😖

It's simply amazing to me that two ultra Mormon politicians from Utah are continuing to be the voice of reason in the GOP.

In addition to Cox's comments, Romney also called conservatives and Republicans politicizing the virus "moronic".

Sometimes there's just a glimmer of hope that Utah isn't completely hopeless.

Anti-Frisian racism. 😡
?

Edit.

We've hit an R number of 2.91. High score!

And hospital numbers are now rising. I expect we will see a massive rise in a couple of days. Something we can really use now that parts of Limburg are being evacuated due to flooding.

Last edited:
So it's like "Karen"?
Apparently Wappie is a common (female) name in Frisia ... so Frisians are furious. My (other) daughter's boyfriend's family is from Frisia. The grandparents are bilingual - they speak Frisian ... & passable Dutch.

So it's like "Karen"?
Apparently Wappie is a common (female) name in Frisia ... so Frisians are furious. My (other) daughter's boyfriend's family is from Frisia. The grandparents are bilingual - they speak Frisian ... & passable Dutch.
So it is like people complaining about "Karen", then.

Last edited:

Was a common name.

Looks like September might be a little ambitious for kids under 12, but hopefully we're still less than six months away:

What I'm concerned about is whether or not I will need a booster at this point. In about a month it will be 6 months since I received my 2nd shot and there still isn't any consensus on what we should do.

Looks like September might be a little ambitious for kids under 12, but hopefully we're still less than six months away:

This article is hard to make sense of:

"The regulatory agency is asking for four to six months of safety follow-up data for kids under age 12, the FDA official said. Just two months of follow-up data was required for the clinical trials in adults."

Is this new information or old information? Has Pfizer known about this all along or did we just switch it on them? Pfizer said this, but I've seen this statement before the article.

"Pfizer said in a statement to NBC News it anticipates results on its clinical trials in kids ages 5 to 11 sometime in September, and then could apply for emergency use authorization. "Data for kids 2 and under 5 could arrive soon after that," the company said, adding that results on kids ages 6 months up to 2 years may not be released until October or November."

So if Pfizer has known about the 4-6 month requirement, and had previously said September for 5+, and still seems to be saying September, maybe we can still move on this potentially even in September.

Last edited:
What I'm concerned about is whether or not I will need a booster at this point. In about a month it will be 6 months since I received my 2nd shot and there still isn't any consensus on what we should do.
It's hard to say, I want to trust the CDC but at the same time, their track record is kind of eh. On the other hand, I want to trust Pfizer since it's their product and they're not going to risk a massive lawsuit if they harm people, but there data is kind of weak.

I think on the surface, the data shows a booster is likely needed at some point but I'm not sure if six months is really the right time frame. If anything, I'd say it's closer to a year or until a new variant comes out that can thwart immunity. It'd be helpful if Pfizer and the CDC actually discussed this before making any kind of comment, but it seems like both just said their piece then decided to have a meeting.

This article is hard to make sense of:

"The regulatory agency is asking for four to six months of safety follow-up data for kids under age 12, the FDA official said. Just two months of follow-up data was required for the clinical trials in adults."

Is this new information or old information? Has Pfizer known about this all along or did we just switch it on them? Pfizer said this, but I've seen this statement before the article.

"Pfizer said in a statement to NBC News it anticipates results on its clinical trials in kids ages 5 to 11 sometime in September, and then could apply for emergency use authorization. "Data for kids 2 and under 5 could arrive soon after that," the company said, adding that results on kids ages 6 months up to 2 years may not be released until October or November."

So if Pfizer has known about the 4-6 month requirement, and had previously said September for 5+, and still seems to be saying September, maybe we can still move on this potentially even in September.
So I'm not in the know about this by any means, but the way I understand it is that the FDA is requiring a longer period of follow-up data for kids and it's likely that Pfizer didn't know about it initially. It kind of continues with the idea that Pfizer and the government just aren't communicating with one another very well.

Honestly, I would rather Pfizer publish their findings then let me decide whether or not to vaccinate my kid or wait. If the data showed that there were minimal side effects within a two month time frame, I'd likely go ahead with the vaccine.

Last edited:
Back