COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
So I'm not in the know about this by any means, but the way I understand it is that the FDA is requiring a longer period of follow-up data for kids and it's likely that Pfizer didn't know about it initially. It kind of continues with the idea that Pfizer and the government just aren't communicating with one another very well.

Honestly, I would rather Pfizer publish their findings then let me decide whether or not to vaccinate my kid or wait. If the data showed that there were minimal side effects within a two month time frame, I'd likely go ahead with the vaccine.
Well Pfizer started their trial in March, September is 6 months from then, so it seems like their September figure might hold up to a 4-6 month data requirement.

2 days left before the UK goes full send into T1 @ Monza with regards to Covid.

Wish us luck.
Oh, we need luck anyway! Over 50,000 cases today, and the timing of this surge from ~30,000... I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the footie was a week ago. Then there's 140,000 attending Silverstone this weekend.

OTOH, an ONS survey has found that 2/3 of people will continue to wear a mask after Monday.

Predictions for breaking 100,000 cases/day anyone? I'll say next Friday :(

Last edited:
Well Pfizer started their trial in March, September is 6 months from then, so it seems like their September figure might hold up to a 4-6 month data requirement.
I really hope this holds up because have the vaccine made available to kids at the beginning of the school year is going to be way more effective than making it available around winter break. I suspect the government will drag its feet though since there's already tension between the feds and Pfizer.

This is going to be a disaster:

Hospitals are already struggling and being hit with another wave is going to stretch an already exhausted staff even further. And while I know some will say it's not that big of a deal, we're going to quickly see people in need of medical attention either turned away, diverted to a hospital much further away, or receive less than ideal care. I mean imagine needing urgent cardiac care and the ICU is packed with people who refused to get vaccinated?

Some people also don't seem to understand that Delta is different than last year's COVID virus. For example, say your uncle had COVID last July and he just felt crappy for a day or two then ended up being fine. You might assume you'll follow that same path. Unfortunately, you very well might be in for a bad time with Delta.

Between selfishness, idiocy, and outright lies, we're teetering on the edge of another big-ass wave (not to be confused with a bit ass-wave).

While I'm not too concerned about the well-being of people who willingly choose not to be vaccinated. I'm absolutely concerned for those who legitimately can't get vaccinated along with kids under 12. We're seeing an uptick in hospitalizations among younger kids whereas before COVID typically meant kids might have the sniffles.

I also worry about the state of our health systems too. Medical professionals are already burning out quickly and health systems are running into issues actually paying these people for all the hours they're required to work.

Here's some more of that vinegar.

E6dijp4XsAQUj-Q.jpeg

Last edited:
So Sajid Javid, the man who knows everything about Covid, has got Covid.

Fills me with confidence for Monday.
I don't think he was appointed on merit or suitability for the position. Perhaps everybody else who was available for the post crossed their fingers and said "not it" before Saj could.

A friend's friend who works in the local hospital has told us they're braced for an increased wave of hospital admissions in the coming month since we're only 17% protected against the Delta variant. Happy days.

<Dwayne Johnson>Finally...the vaccine is coming to my arm!</Dwayne Johnson>

Yeah, so I'll be getting my first Pfizer dose next Wednesday. If only it really did make me a walking, fleshy 5G mast, then I'd be able to use Three's mobile internet in my own garden. :lol:

I know it was bound to happen sooner or later, but somebody from my hometown in regional Victoria contracted Covid from Melbourne. Now there's a growing amount of exposure sites in the area. We'd had a small handful of cases in the past, but never any spread in the community.

Apparently said person had been in isolation until they received a negative test, though a few days later they got quite sick and tested positive.

Low vaccine supplies/vaccination rates + a generally lax attitude to restrictions due to complacency has gotten me worried, though hopefully this has been a bit of a wake-up call and people will start taking this more seriously.

I know it was bound to happen sooner or later, but somebody from my hometown in regional Victoria contracted Covid from Melbourne. Now there's a growing amount of exposure sites in the area. We'd had a small handful of cases in the past, but never any spread in the community.

Apparently said person had been in isolation until they received a negative test, though a few days later they got quite sick and tested positive.

Low vaccine supplies/vaccination rates + a generally lax attitude to restrictions due to complacency has gotten me worried, though hopefully this has been a bit of a wake-up call and people will start taking this more seriously.
Bacchus Marsh?

I think Gladys needs to take a fair bit of responsibility for this with her political point scoring, oh look at us managing it without needing to lockdown like Melbourne.

Bacchus Marsh?

I think Gladys needs to take a fair bit of responsibility for this with her political point scoring, oh look at us managing it without needing to lockdown like Melbourne.

Or Mildura.

Edit: SA have just changed the restrictions to that region.

Yep, Mildura. Keeping a close eye on the exposure sights, I heard from a few friends that the infected person would've been everywhere around town whilst potentially infectious.

Not their fault at all seeing as they were following the health advice, just unfortunate that symptoms developed much later.

Back