COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
SEI_88282450-e1626694844742.jpg

He's wrong; it's both and this anti-lockdown protester's failed the latter.

Last edited:
The usual suspects are losing their rag over the 'pingdemic' - people being told to self-isolate by the NHS app because they have been in contact with a COVID-positive person recently, which currently includes the UK Prime Minister and Chancellor who were 'pinged' the other day, only to announce publicly that they would not be self-isolating because reasons, and then only to backtrack and announce publicly that they will self-isolate.

Workplaces across the country face crippling staff shortages as more and more people are 'pinged'... denier/skeptic solution: get rid of the app :ouch: Of course, the reason this is happening is because the Government have scrapped COVID restrictions and are deliberately letting the virus spread like wildfire through the country. And so now they've created an unholy mess of a situation whereby people will either get the virus itself or have to take time off work. Either way, workplaces across the country face closure.

Of course, they could have done things very differently - they could have replaced self-isolation with daily testing (but they haven't)... they could have kept a lid on the delta variant wave (they haven't)... and they could have postponed 'freedom day' (but they haven't)... and so we're left with this untenable situation.

Meanwhile, hundreds of utter jackasses are protesting in London about vaccinating kids - surely you can't have it both ways... if you have openly advocated against every attempt to stop infections from running out of control, then you cannot advocate against vaccinations for anyone. While I personally think older children/young adults should be vaccinated (e.g. 12-17 y.os), I also think that it would be less of an issue if we weren't allowing the virus to rip through the country as we have now decided to do.

It's going to be a horrible mess in a few weeks' time, unless by some miracle herd immunity kicks in and prevents hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of unnecessary infections.

Netherlands...

Hospitalisations (July 14): 14 (2 lower than 7 day average of 16
Total number of beds occupied by covid patients: 158
Deaths: 1

:lol:
361 as of today, a rise of 50 in one day. Highest number since May 10th. 84 on the IC. 9 new cases in a day. Highest number in 7 weeks.

But as that doesn't fit your narrative, you are predictably silent.

Last edited:
This week is likely to see getting on for 500,000 UK cases reported - and that's without any effects of 'freedom day', and with case numbers falling in Scotland.

Next week could well be around the million mark.

Even if that's the peak and it drops off quickly, the week after would be ~500,000 again.

@Touring Mars - the "if not millions" is almost certainly incorrect; it will be millions more thanks to not tackling delta.

How anyone can make it in the medical field and believe that vaccines alter your DNA is mindboggling.
Common lack of mental flexibility, I'm afraid. Humans usually try to fit new information into what they want to believe.
I saw numerous people, despite having the required intellect to understand science, denying the major role of human activity in the global warming, despite overwhelming evidences.
A study case have been made with the Trump inauguration crowd aerial pictures, and subjects were seeing more people on the picture it was really showing based on where they were leaning politically.
1626710117047.png

1626710133206.png

It's going to be a horrible mess in a few weeks' time, unless by some miracle herd immunity kicks in and prevents hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of unnecessary infections.
UK is very useful to watch from outside, as it has, for the case of France, a month in advance. All eyes are on UK hospitalization figures right now.
I'm still hearing here on TV the same stupid analysis than last year: that since the contamination is high and the hospitalization numbers are low, it must be because the virus is becoming harmless. Totally ignoring that the younger adult generation (20-29 yo) is by far the most infected at this early stage...
1626711174342.png

A study case have been made with the Trump inauguration crowd aerial pictures, and subjects were seeing more people on the picture it was really showing based on where they were leaning politically.
1626710117047.png

1626710133206.png
Trump inauguration well to be fair.jpg

EDIT: Inb4 "KkK aRe aLL DeMoCrAtS" rebuttal... we now return you to the regular Covid discussion

Last edited:
UK is very useful to watch from outside
Likewise looking from Australia.
Our vaccine uptake is terrible and really the main hope is getting enough of the population vaccinated in time the limit the current and any future outbreaks.

As we know the vaccine doesn't stop the virus but can only hope it does enough to limit hospital cases and utimately deaths.

On the topic of child vaccination a quick poll of those members that have children.
As of right now with all the current evidence would you allow your children to be vaccinated if say they where not of the age/maturity to make that decision and it was your call.

I'll use my youngest as an example as he's still legally a child at 15.
I would certainly discuss and encourage him to take the vaccine but as I feel he's mature enough to make and informed decision ultimately I'd leave the call to him.

What's the thoughts here?

361 as of today, a rise of 50 in one day. Highest number since May 10th. 84 on the IC. 9 new cases in a day. Highest number in 7 weeks.

But as that doesn't fit your narrative, you are predictably silent.
Silent? Please excuse me if I don't spend my time constantly adding to the post count in here... I'm just trying to live as normal a life as possible and coming on here to read the endless gloom isn't a priority.

But seeing as you tagged me...

Netherlands
Hospitalisations (July 18): 21 (6 lower than 7 day average of 27)
Total number of beds occupied by covid patients: 277
Deaths: 1 (7 day average 2). 7 day average deaths (2) is equivalent to c.0.5% of total daily deaths in NL (c.400/day)

Hospital bed capacity as of 2018: 54,000
Covid utilisation of hospital bed capacity: 0.5%

Population 17M

Source: NL government dashboard (hospital beds: Statisica)

Terrifying.

On the topic of child vaccination a quick poll of those members that have children.
As of right now with all the current evidence would you allow your children to be vaccinated if say they where not of the age/maturity to make that decision and it was your call.

I'll use my youngest as an example as he's still legally a child at 15.
I would certainly discuss and encourage him to take the vaccine but as I feel he's mature enough to make and informed decision ultimately I'd leave the call to him.

What's the thoughts here?
Full disclosure: I don't have kids.

But if I did, they would've been required to have various vaccinations just to enter grade school as a toddler and this one is just adding another to the list. I think back to when I was fifteen and I had the ability to weigh pros and cons and make decisions...I was bad at it, but I could do it. I imagine any kid raised by reasonable parents would choose to take the vaccine. But ultimately I would not leave the decision up to them. If they decided no, I would override. At the very minimum, a 15 year old is still under the guardianship of parents in the US and if my kid were to get Covid and get sick or worse, that responsibility would fall on my shoulders legally and morally.

I'll admit I haven't been keeping up on this Covid stuff much at all because I'm chipped, basically everybody I know is chipped (even the Republicans, some of whom got it 2+ months before I did), and things are pretty chill in the suburbs of Ohio. Our biggest problems is not the politics involved with not allowing a bunch of unemployed people to go bankrupt because governors across the land have their heads up their asses and are losing lawsuits for breaking federal law by blocking available federal benefits. Guess what party most of those governors are from?

Anyways, I'm hearing a whole lot of our allied countries, UK and Australia in particular, really struggling with variants. Why? Is the US not shipping vaccines overseas? Are we not watching out for our pals? I mean, politically we've run out of people to chip over here so I see no reason to not start shipping them across the globe. I hear there's been a shortage of chips anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input @Keef I suppose I'm lucky in the sense with my youngest. We have already had the discussion and he said he would have it.

I totally get the moral responsibility you mention, as it stands here right now legally you aren't required to get any vaccine (it isn't anywhere is it?) nor are you limited to do anything of you don't have though I can see that changing in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input @Keef I suppose I'm lucky in the sense with my youngest. We have already had the discussion and he said he would have it.

I totally get the moral responsibility you mention, as it stands here right now legally you aren't required to get any vaccine (it isn't anywhere is it?) nor are you limited to do anything of you don't have though I can see that changing in the future.
In the US vaccines for anything aren't required in general but (from the entire time my boomer parents were kids to when I was a kid) vaccines are required in various states for kids to enter public schools. Thus, the vast majority of Americans got vaxxed for smallpox, polio, etc etc. I don't even know what's on the list but it's a bunch.

Edit: Here's Ohio's list. Apparently smallpox is so effectively eradicated (barring antivaxxer magic) that it's not on our list anymore.

capture immunizations.JPG

Does anyone know how to embed PDFs? That would've been way easier.

Sorry @Keef I should have been clearer, it's the same here with the other vaccines with school etc. The current crop of Covid vaccines not yet.

Edit
As I've mentioned I'm all for vaccination for the whole population, just trying to get a feel for what people's thoughts are on their kids and where would they draw the line of enforcing it on them as we all know a simple age doesn't really work.

Last edited:
Silent? Please excuse me if I don't spend my time constantly adding to the post count in here... I'm just trying to live as normal a life as possible and coming on here to read the endless gloom isn't a priority.

But seeing as you tagged me...

Netherlands
Hospitalisations (July 18): 21 (6 lower than 7 day average of 27)
Total number of beds occupied by covid patients: 277
Deaths: 1 (7 day average 2). 7 day average deaths (2) is equivalent to c.0.5% of total daily deaths in NL (c.400/day)

Hospital bed capacity as of 2018: 54,000
Covid utilisation of hospital bed capacity: 0.5%

Population 17M

Source: NL government dashboard (hospital beds: Statisica)

Terrifying.
In NL, it's pretty much the same as the rest of the world: high number of infections, low to zero hospitalisations under those who are vaccinated. So IMO just get on with the vaccinations and we'll be fine.

Sorry @Keef I should have been clearer, it's the same here with the other vaccines with school etc. The current crop of Covid vaccines not yet.

Edit
As I've mentioned I'm all for vaccination for the whole population, just trying to get a feel for what people's thoughts are on their kids and where would they draw the line of enforcing it on them as we all know a simple age doesn't really work.
We asked our daughter (14) what she wanted: she wanted a vaccination, so she's getting one this Friday. It's not hard. :)

Last edited:
71 cases of Covid in the Olympic area according to the BBC news channel just now.
I'm so sad to see what is happening with the Olympics, it would be awful if they end up cancelling events now, but the people of Tokyo are rightly concerned about the impact of the Games on the city.

The BBC interviewed a young Japanese lady yesterday who was part of the Olympics propaganda publicity squad and her comments about the Olympic spirit and watching the Olympic flame come to life were inspiring, beautiful and... erm, a tad suspicious. The more she went on, the more she started to sound like a North Korean tour guide... it was actually quite sad to watch because although I believe she was sincere on at least one level, it was ridiculously corny and a bit embarrassing.

And I am one of the few who still wears a mask indoors, I am extremely disappointed in my fellow country people that because we no longer have a mandate, no one thinks that perhaps it would be wise with these exploding numbers to still put on the not even mildly inconvenient piece of cloth.
Well said. 👍

Nope you're not the only one. Definitely not. I'm still wearing my FFP2 masks indoors. And also outdoors when I come in contact with another person and on special occasions my FFP3 masks.

Last edited:
A bit of (much) brighter news here in Scotland:

Case numbers are still falling, and test positivity rates (a clearer measure of what is going on) appear to have peaked, reaching a high point of 10.18% 16 days ago. Since then, the 7-day average of case numbers has steadily fallen back to under 2000 a day - still high, but definitely on the decline.

Hospitalisations are continuing to rise though, and are now approaching around 50% of the hospitalisations seen in the last peak, albeit with a higher number of cases.

What this might be showing is that case levels have hit an 'immunity ceiling' in Scotland - at least for the moment - and hence England, which can expect to see hefty rises in case numbers over the next couple of weeks, might not be far behind. In other words, the worst-case scenarios of 200,000+ new cases per day in England might just be avoidable if herd immunity starts to take effect...

A bit of (much) brighter news here in Scotland:

Case numbers are still falling, and test positivity rates (a clearer measure of what is going on) appear to have peaked, reaching a high point of 10.18% 16 days ago. Since then, the 7-day average of case numbers has steadily fallen back to under 2000 a day - still high, but definitely on the decline.

Hospitalisations are continuing to rise though, and are now approaching around 50% of the hospitalisations seen in the last peak, albeit with a higher number of cases.

What this might be showing is that case levels have hit an 'immunity ceiling' in Scotland - at least for the moment - and hence England, which can expect to see hefty rises in case numbers over the next couple of weeks, might not be far behind. In other words, the worst-case scenarios of 200,000+ new cases per day in England might just be avoidable if herd immunity starts to take effect...
Good news indeed! Can expect admissions to start falling as well, to follow prior case numbers.

In England, I believe it's a somewhat similar picture as Scotland for the NW, but the rolling wave is creeping southwards.

200k/day seems very unlikely given the way it's spreading. More likely to have a very broad top rather than an actual, easily identifiable peak, IMO. My prediction is that the highest numbers will be seen quite soon (a week or two) then fade off very slowly. But, compared to Ferguson's model, I doubt there's much difference in overall number of cases over the next two months.

Last edited:
I'm so sad to see what is happening with the Olympics, it would be awful if they end up cancelling events now, but the people of Tokyo are rightly concerned about the impact of the Games on the city.

The BBC interviewed a young Japanese lady yesterday who was part of the Olympics propaganda publicity squad and her comments about the Olympic spirit and watching the Olympic flame come to life were inspiring, beautiful and... erm, a tad suspicious. The more she went on, the more she started to sound like a North Korean tour guide... it was actually quite sad to watch because although I believe she was sincere on at least one level, it was ridiculously corny and a bit embarrassing.
I'm not sure exactly what the Olympics procedures are but the NBA Bubble in 2020 worked flawlessly. Almost the entire league was in the bubble from July to October and played a shortened seeding season and a full playoffs schedule. Zero covid cases the entire time. The bubble benefitted from Disney's property basically being self-sufficient, able to disconnect itself from everything else, but players and staff still had to be transported around the area. I'd figure that facilities built specifically for the Olympics would be able to be isolated as well since they're not used for other things.

test positivity rates (a clearer measure of what is going on) appear to have peaked, reaching a high point of 10.18%
Good to hear some things are indeed improving somewhere. Down here in South Africa, though, our positivity rate is still hovering around 29 to 30% every single day for the past... what, almost four weeks now? And we aren't even doing lots of tests, either.

:boggled:

And with the week-long riots and all those looting sprees, I'm guessing things down here will only get worse...

I'm not sure exactly what the Olympics procedures are but the NBA Bubble in 2020 worked flawlessly. Almost the entire league was in the bubble from July to October and played a shortened seeding season and a full playoffs schedule. Zero covid cases the entire time. The bubble benefitted from Disney's property basically being self-sufficient, able to disconnect itself from everything else, but players and staff still had to be transported around the area. I'd figure that facilities built specifically for the Olympics would be able to be isolated as well since they're not used for other things.
Scale is massively different. Two weeks ago I thought there is a chance that the Olympics could go forward. Now I pretty much feel it's a coin-flip because cases are rising everywhere and if major sponsors are pulling out (Toyota, Panasonic, NTT already have dropped out), the incentive to continue is getting worse and worse.

UK have big balls to completely open everything, despite themselves admitting they may have 200k daily cases... I have to say.
Those amount of cases could easily mean several hundreds of daily deaths too, I dont know if this can be considered acceptable.

Someone realised that dead people don't vote and the stock market tanked over Delta-variant fears.
The stock market is weird - people have been talking about the delta variant for weeks. Why did 'it' decide yesterday was the day to tank?

Back