COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
Ben Schapiro is part owner of The Daily Wire. They have more than 100 employees.

Here is the video I posted earlier. It is 3 ½ minutes long, and explains why they are opposed to Biden's mandate. I think this is the other owner, but I'm not sure.

I'll pass on the video, but the best information I can find is that they have 106 employees, however, it doesn't state how those employees are broken down. Quite a few journalists work as "independent contractors" and while they're paid by an organization, they hold a business license and are technically an LLC. This is how my wife works. She works at an established shop but is an independent contractor who holds a business license in her name and she's the sole proprietor. So while she gets paid by the shop she works at, her business is just one employee, herself. It also protects them from lawsuits too, which a journalist is at risk for due to libel.

My guess is that there are more than 6 people on the Daily Wire's payroll who fall under this and thus wouldn't meet the 100 employee requirement. Also, it appears that The Daily Wire has 75 employees who work at its headquarters in Nashville, which would fall under the limit as well.

Still, OSHA could be a thorn in their side if it wants to be, but I think they have bigger fish to fry.
I know it's a little off-topic, but I know Ben Shapiro as being this famous guy who, in spite of that, cannot please his wife in bed. How pitiful!
Yes.

How are you going to comment about something you didn't even watch?

Here is Ben Shapiro on the same subject from an appearance this morning.

Because I don't watch or contribute ad revenue to fake news, which is what The Daily Wire is?

I'm just saying how they can likely get around it and even if they do have 106 employees on the payroll, OSHA is likely not going to go after them for the foreseeable future because they're just not that big. I mean the Fox Corporation, which included Fox News, has over 9,000 employees.

Just like everyone who had an opinion about a music video I posted but only 2 people admitted to watching it...
Go figure...
I know empathy is not a strong suit here, but give it a shot.

It takes only a few seconds to read someone's post and make an appropriate comment on it. Opening a (I'm guessing) 3 minute music video, full of music you don't like, or a 7 minute long yack yack news segment like @Chrunch Houston posted above is a bit more of a commitment. In some cases, it requires changing audio setups. In my case, it requires pausing the music I'm listening to while I work and then I sit and stare at a dumb news segment or music video. It's more disruptive.

If I clicked on every video posted in the opinions forum (even if it was just the ones I didn't like), I'd get nothing else done in a day. I can't do it. I have to rely on other members to view and comment, or I have to just pass. If they make a good point, at least summarize it so that I can see whether it's worth the investment.

It's just common courtesy for having a discussion.

I can have an opinion on Ben Shapiro, or music video lyrics (not that I did in either case), independent of whether or not I watched the music video or saw what Ben had to say on some news segment. The lyrics speak for themselves, and Ben's comments are not limited to news soundbites.

If you want to have a discussion, try harder to engage others respectfully.

Last edited:
I'm struggling to figure out what is unconstitutional about requiring workers to provide a weekly negative COVID test, or even to get vaccinated.

It might upset a lot of people, and they might even call it or believe it to be unconstitutional, but is it really?

It strikes me as odd that there must be an absolute tonne of employment laws and regulations that exist in America and yet there's not a great deal of 'constitutional' protesters about those, but yet when it comes to a mandate or law that requires you to either provide evidence that you are not infected with a potentially lethal virus, a huge number of people are up in arms and declaring such a law to be 'unconstitutional'.

I'm certainly no expert on constitutional law, but then again, I don't believe that all that many people who think are experts on the subject really are either.

It might upset a lot of people, and they might even call it or believe it to be unconstitutional, but is it really?
Well, if the 1905 Supreme Course case Jacobson v. Massachusetts is anything to go by, then no, compulsory vaccines aren't unconstitutional. The 1922 case Zucht v. King furthered this and found that preventing unvaccinated children from attending school was a Constitutional practice.

Essentially, the Supreme Court said that vaccines aren't oppressive as long as they don't "go so far beyond what was reasonably required for the safety of the public" and that one person’s liberty can’t trump everyone else’s.

So there are precedents set for vaccine mandates. Whether they will continue to be upheld is anyone's guess, but as of right now, it appears that they can legally happen.

Just like everyone who had an opinion about a music video I posted but only 2 people admitted to watching it...
Go figure...
Music videos are usually symbolism to some degree. I read the lyrics, they conveyed the point enough whether I took them at face value or deeper meaning.

I'm struggling to figure out what is unconstitutional about requiring workers to provide a weekly negative COVID test, or even to get vaccinated.

It strikes me as odd that there must be an absolute tonne of employment laws and regulations that exist in America and yet there's not a great deal of 'constitutional' protesters about those, but yet when it comes to a mandate or law that requires you to either provide evidence that you are not infected with a potentially lethal virus, a huge number of people are up in arms and declaring such a law to be 'unconstitutional'.

I'm certainly no expert on constitutional law, but then again, I don't believe that all that many people who think are experts on the subject really are either.

Well, if the 1905 Supreme Course case Jacobson v. Massachusetts is anything to go by, then no, compulsory vaccines aren't unconstitutional. The 1922 case Zucht v. King furthered this and found that preventing unvaccinated children from attending school was a Constitutional practice.

Essentially, the Supreme Court said that vaccines aren't oppressive as long as they don't "go so far beyond what was reasonably required for the safety of the public" and that one person’s liberty can’t trump everyone else’s.

So there are precedents set for vaccine mandates. Whether they will continue to be upheld is anyone's guess, but as of right now, it appears that they can legally happen.

I have to think the Biden admin has researched this. They seem confident that it will hold up. Especially given the testing alternative, it seems pretty tough to say that it's unconstitutional, it would take a very new take on old precedent.

Edit:

I mean, if I wanted to, I could explain why doing it through OSHA specifically is unconstitutional. But that also requires a very different take on old precedent. Administrative Law (which OSHA regs are an example of) is blatantly unconstitutional, but the supremes have looked the other way on that for a very long time. That legal battle is long done with and Administrative Law is still a thing. In otherwords, my side lost. Arguing that the vaccine mandate is unconstitutional because OSHA is unconstitutional (and only for that reason) is a very Danoff thing to do, but it's also extremely academic and not at all of concern to the Biden admin, and not the rally cry of the GOP either, and for bonus points, would have nothing to do with vaccine mandates at all.

Last edited:
A few minutes ago another one of the 20 somethings that I work with came up to my counter and my manager (who isn't vaccinated either) was here too. The 20 something said that he went and got his first Covid shot last night I think it was. He was saying how it has really knocked him for a loop so far and how he brushed his arm up against something earlier and it hurt.

Again at the risk of starting trouble with any other employees I generally try and bite my tongue and stay out of conversations when I have an idea of where they are heading. But I asked him which version he got and he said Pfizer. So since I'm Team Pfizer too I thought I would tell him how it can be an uncomfortable first 24-36 hours but eventually it goes away and you will be fine. He said he was very against getting it before and he gave the same old tired theory that he was young and healthy and figured he would be fine, yadda, yadda, yadda. But I think it was one of his older relatives that was putting heat on him by telling him "there are people your age dying from this too". So he caved in and now has his first shot, YAYE!!

But when I was telling him what to possibly expect in terms of temporary side effects I told him that the tetanus shot I got in June hurt my arm much worse and longer than the covid shot did. He said, "yeah that tetanus shot is rough, I got mine a few months ago...." and I had to stop him right there. I said "You got a tetanus shot?" "Yeah" he said. I asked, "why did you get a tetanus shot?" He said, "so I won't get lockjaw". I said, "hang on just a minute, why are you willing to get one shot in order to possibly prevent a very random thing from happening to you but you were against another shot that does the same thing?" "Well, uh, uh....." is the only repsonse I got before my phone started ringing and he walked away.

That's what I don't get about these people that are hesitant to get the vaccine. Why they can't equate one possible preventative measure with another or several other preventative measures they already take in their everyday lives? My manager and I were talking late one evening last week and he was again using the logic that he thought he was healthy and fit enough that covid shouldn't bother him if he got it. Yes he does go to the gym almost every night, he's also got the bigger arms etc. but he also has horrible back problems so he's not as invincible as he thinks he is. But when he brought that people die in car wrecks everyday, I asked him, "you wear your seat belts right?" "Yes, he said". "Your car has air bags right?". "Yes". And I told him those things aren't 100% effective from you getting killed in a car accident but they can increase your odds of surviving with minimal injuries or you might not be injured at all. And then again you get the rolling of the eyes and "Yeah well....uh...uh" response.

Last edited:
That's what I don't get about these people that are hesitant to get the vaccine. Why they can't equate one possible preventative measure with another or several other preventative measures they already take in their everyday lives? My manager and I were talking late one evening last week and he was again using the logic that he thought he was healthy and fit enough that covid shouldn't bother him if he got it. Yes he does go to the gym almost every night, he's also got the bigger arms etc. but he also has horrible back problems so he's not as invincible as he thinks he is. But when he brought that people die in car wrecks everyday, I asked him, "you wear your seat belts right?" "Yes, he said". "Your car has air bags right?". "Yes". And I told him those things aren't 100% effective from you getting killed in a car accident but they can increase your odds of surviving with minimal injuries or you might not be injured at all. And then again you get the rolling of the eyes and "Yeah well....uh...uh" response.
That's different. :rolleyes: Bill Gates didn't put microchips in the air bags. Well, uh... uh... except the ones which tell them when to deploy. Anyway, MAGA! /s

Last edited:
Channel 2′s Wendy Corona

What an unfortunate name :lol:

But ya, I wouldn't get too excited until we see something peer-reviewed with large-scale clinical trials. A positive outcome in ten people with no indication of the control isn't much to place a bet on when it comes to drugs. Honestly, this is the kind of stuff that leads people to start buying horse dewormer or drinking aquarium cleaner.

Also, fun facts: Probenecid is used to mask certain PEDs in athletes and was used during World War II to help reduce the amount of penicillin a wounded soldier needed.

I don't get about these people that are hesitant to get the vaccine.
I think it boils down to a matter of freedom and choice. Otherwise sensible people are making a poor choice (IMHO) when they choose not to be vaccinated on the basis that it must be their choice and not a government mandate, even if it kills them. Personally, I like the freedom to choose dangerous activities like racing or mountain climbing. But I chose to be vaccinated because I consider it a wise choice, mandate or not. To evade vaccination in a global pandemic on the altar of freedom and choice would be a Pyrrhic victory both for a person and for human rights.

I chose to get vaccinated as I didnt fancy my chances or those of my wife if either of us caught it. Plus I have a small amount of experience within the medical scene and I figured that they (medical science people) had made vaccines for various things before and knew what they were doing. 100% safe? I cant answer that but I asked my doctor for her medical opinion and her answer assured me.
We have a couple of people at work who wont get vaccinated and after listening to their reasons, I can't help but think they haven't come to their stance by themselves but rather reiterating something they think makes them cool.

I think it boils down to a matter of freedom and choice. Otherwise sensible people are making a poor choice (IMHO) when they choose not to be vaccinated on the basis that it must be their choice and not a government mandate, even if it kills them. Personally, I like the freedom to choose dangerous activities like racing or mountain climbing. But I chose to be vaccinated because I consider it a wise choice, mandate or not. To evade vaccination in a global pandemic on the altar of freedom and choice would be a Pyrrhic victory both for a person and for human rights.
If it was just a matter of their own health then nobody would care about whether or not they take the vaccine, but the problem is that it increases the risk for everyone else too. It’s almost like asking for the freedom to go racing on public roads.

It’s almost like asking for the freedom to go racing on public roads.
It's more like demanding the freedom to go racing on a busy road in the middle of rush hour... :banghead:

A couple of days ago, I overheard someone busy rambling on and on about your usual anti-vaxx, anti-mask, covid-denial drivel. However, this person's nonsense stuck in my mind because it took on a pretty scary racist, xenophobic tone. He was a Coloured guy, around maybe in his 30s. ("Coloured" isn't a derogatory term in case if you were wondering, at least not in South Africa...)

He was saying the vaccination drive was rich white people's ploy to enslave the African population and colonise the continent once more, then went onto say there's no covid threat, that it's been manufactured by the Chinese so the upstanding Africans need to kick all whites and Asians out of Africa, etc, etc...

The dude this Coloured guy was talking to, a black guy, was visibly uncomfortable but didn't dare to butt in. Unsurprising, because the Coloured guy was so passionate about his "truth" that you might have gotten stabbed right there and then if you dared to disagree...

Last edited:
It's more like demanding the freedom to go racing on a busy road in the middle of rush hour... :banghead:

A couple of days ago, I overheard someone busy rambling on and on about your usual anti-vaxx, anti-mask, covid-denial drivel. However, this person's nonsense stuck in my mind because it took on a pretty scary racist, xenophobic tone. He was a Coloured guy, around maybe in his 30s. ("Coloured" isn't a derogatory term in case if you were wondering, at least not in South Africa...)

He was saying the vaccination drive was rich white people's ploy to enslave the African population and colonise the continent once more, then went onto say there's no covid threat, that it's been manufactured by the Chinese so the upstanding Africans need to kick all whites and Asians out of Africa, etc, etc...

The dude this Coloured guy was talking to, a black guy, was visibly uncomfortable but didn't dare to butt in. Unsurprising, because the Coloured guy was so passionate about his "truth" that you might have gotten stabbed right there and then if you dared to disagree...
Like believing you can be cured of AIDS by a virgin.

The jig is up, folks. They know COVID mitigation measures are just a distraction.

Ernst clearly didn't set the bar low enough when she called for Biden to be impeached...in February...of 2020...before the Democratic primary...for nothing allegations of impropriety in Ukraine.

Crap, I heard it was a ploy for the radical left to take over the world.

The jig is up, folks. They know COVID mitigation measures are just a distraction.

Ernst clearly didn't set the bar low enough when she called for Biden to be impeached...in February...of 2020...before the Democratic primary...for nothing allegations of impropriety in Ukraine.

So basically she is mad because he is giving her too many things to criticise him for and she can’t handle the tempo?

So basically she is mad because he is giving her too many things to criticise him for and she can’t handle the tempo?
I think it's more that she's pissy Biden beat her bronzer daddy in an election that she refuses to acknowledge was legitimate. That's just where the GOP is and likely will be until at least 2025, which is to say detached from reality.

Last edited:
I feel like I’m reading Fox News just share their Tom Clancy fan-fics these days with their takes.

Last edited:
How many people died in the pandemic compared with 9/11?
I see this comparison made a lot, though when I do see it I can't address it without first taking steps that I'm not willing to take. Since it's come up here, I'm compelled to say, respectfully, that I don't think this comparison should be made on any occasion, much less today.

I see this comparison made a lot, though when I do see it I can't address it without first taking steps that I'm not willing to take. Since it's come up here, I'm compelled to say, respectfully, that I don't think this comparison should be made on any occasion, much less today.
My intent wasn't to diminish the tragedy of 9/11 but to emphasise, in context, the inappropriateness of Ernst using 9/11 to diminish the tragedy of the pandemic by suggesting the latter is merely a distraction from the former. The comparison has already been made on this thread before so I'm sorry if it caused any offence.
For reference, this is 9/11... every day.

Last edited:
Scotland's coronavirus hospitalisations continue to rise sharply, hitting 182 yesterday...

The red line shows the 7-day average hospitalisations scaled to fit with the blue line (test positivity rate)...

The key point here is that hospitalisation numbers are approaching around 2/3rd of the previous worst peak - even though far fewer cases are translating into hospitalisations, as expected the sheer number of cases is leading to high hospitalisation (and ICU) admissions, even with a very high vaccination rate.

przST9g.jpg

The only pieces of good news is that the TPR (which is effectively case numbers), which although not a perfect metric, may have peaked and we may start to see a (hopefully rapid) decline in case numbers... also, hospitalisations lag case numbers by 7-10 days (I've corrected for a 9-day lag above, for example), and by that estimation, yesterday's count of 182 hospitalisations could also be close to (if not exactly) the 'peak'.

But... Scottish universities return tomorrow, and widespread new outbreaks are anticipated... (indeed, I am supposed to be doing face-to-face teaching as of the 29th Sept, and I'm not very happy about it...)

So, I think case numbers may decline for a week or so and then start shooting up again.

The next few weeks are going to be 'interesting', but maybe not in a good way.

Last edited:
Back