COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
I also think people have gotten a bit more crazy during covid times. And it's not the good kind of crazy.
Hooligans are bat**** crazy lately. Being locked up and not being able to lose that aggresion results in ...

attacking of a fanpub in Antwerp

which was then retaliated with more violence during the game

Last edited:

With only 56% of the US vaccinated there's still a long road ahead for sure. The vaccine mandates will certainly help push that number up a bit, but it's likely we won't hit 70%. It'll be even far less once you factor in booster shots too.

Thankfully, it looks like the Mu variant ended up not being something to be overly concerned with:

I'm not up to date regarding anything with Lamda though and it looks like the next variant to emerge will be either designated Nu or Xi. Whenever the new variant emerges and is named, we will be more than halfway through the Greek alphabet (Mu was the midpoint).

Long time lurker, but finally reactivated my old account to post. I'll admit ashamedly that I was initially resistant to receiving a COVID-19 vaccine. Out of morbid curiosity I'd visited some deep and deprived sections of the internet. Perhaps my thinking had been corrupted by them. Fortunately, I've read over many pages of this thread and all the sources of information and medical articles/papers that have been presented, and as such have booked my first dose of a vaccine tomorrow. Considering I'm in NZ, that vaccine will be Pfizer (it's the only vaccine approved for use by Medsafe).

Ashamedly, as with most other nations, there are many vocal anti-vaxxers here. I suspect that as we were one of the last nations on earth to be breached by the delta variant, as well as the fact that for most of the past year and a half we have lived with no community cases and almost no restrictions, people have become very complacent. I knew that with the delta variant our 'elimination' strategy was no longer viable. Seems like many others didn't share that opinion until delta breached containment in Auckland in August.

With only 56% of the US vaccinated there's still a long road ahead for sure. The vaccine mandates will certainly help push that number up a bit, but it's likely we won't hit 70%. It'll be even far less once you factor in booster shots too.

Thankfully, it looks like the Mu variant ended up not being something to be overly concerned with:

I'm not up to date regarding anything with Lamda though and it looks like the next variant to emerge will be either designated Nu or Xi. Whenever the new variant emerges and is named, we will be more than halfway through the Greek alphabet (Mu was the midpoint).
Good that Mu does not appear to be a significant threat.

I can just imagine the problems that will arise in some sectors when we get to Xi. For a start, they'll be too dumb to realise it is a Greek letter and nothing at all to do with the leader of the CCP...

I was advised by my GP to get my 3rd shot when I am eligible so in around 2 and a half weeks, I will be doing so.
Good that Mu does not appear to be a significant threat.

I can just imagine the problems that will arise in some sectors when we get to Xi. For a start, they'll be too dumb to realise it is a Greek letter and nothing at all to do with the leader of the CCP...

When we get to "Pi" I am expecting a free Boston Cream. When "Omega" comes, I demand a free watch.

Last edited:
What's the eligibility criteria?
Currently, it's immunocompromised/immunosuppressed, over 65, or in a high-risk occupation which is left pretty vague, but it includes things like healthcare, grocery store workers, and anyone considered "frontlines". Basically, anyone who wants a third dose can just say they work in a high-risk occupation and no one is going to question it.

Currently, it's immunocompromised/immunosuppressed, over 65, or in a high-risk occupation which is left pretty vague, but it includes things like healthcare, grocery store workers, and anyone considered "frontlines". Basically, anyone who wants a third dose can just say they work in a high-risk occupation and no one is going to question it.
I've been told that anyone who also is overweight to borderline obese (guilty) is also eligible.

Just imagine the scenes if it emerges from China. :lol:

They'll skip Nu, because it's pronounced "new" (like Mu is pronounced Mew) and people will get too easily confused by the new nu variant.

Also "xi" will be "chi" or "x". It's written as an X in Greek but literally transcribed as Chi (chee) - it was written as Xi in some dialects but not particularly widespread and the standard Ionic alphabet used the X/x alone.

They'll skip Nu, because it's pronounced "new" (like Mu is pronounced Mew) and people will get too easily confused by the new nu variant.

Also "xi" will be "chi" or "x". It's written as an X in Greek but literally transcribed as Chi (chee) - it was written as Xi in some dialects but not particularly widespread and the standard Ionic alphabet used the X/x alone.
I'm surprised that the utter stupidity of humanity isn't running to get "Mew" and try to re-sell it at higher prices.

That would be the "correct"/Greek pronunciation, but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear/get 'English' pronunciations, such as phi, psi and chi all rhyming with "high"... (figh, sigh and kai)

Last edited:
Wow, flashback, must have been at least 20 odd years since I heard that song.

The land of Mu is underwater so there won't be any covid there.

That would be the "correct"/Greek pronunciation, but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear/get 'English' pronunciations, such as phi, psi and chi all rhyming with "high"... (figh, sigh and kai)
Chi, the drink that knows it's own name. If you want pronunciation advice definitely ask a beverage.

I'd always heard it "ksee" by my college professors.

But then this website says "ksaai"

https://jakubmarian.com/pronunciation-of-the-greek-alphabet-in-english/
ξ – xiksaai (as in sick sigh) or zaai

The FDA will meet on October 14th and 15th to discuss Moderna and J&J booster shots. Pfizer vaccines for 5-11 year olds, will be on the 26th.

In medication news, AstraZeneca will be looking for approval for its drug that prevents COVID and isn't a vaccine. Instead, it's an antibody prophylaxis. I mean I guess whatever you need to do to get people who outright refuse vaccines some protections. It's going to be wild though to see people flock to this but at the same time refuse vaccines. Hopefully, this is some big brain play from AZ.

Here's some more information on the drug @HenrySwanson posted about from Merck. Can we just take a second and appreciate that it is named after Mjolnir?

Last edited:
Back