COVID-19/Coronavirus Information and Support Thread (see OP for useful links)

• Thread starter baldgye
  • 13,234 comments
I know what I disagreed with. Everything you said.
I know. You just don't know why because you have absolutely no information on the thing you said in response.

I said it’s expensive, but I didn’t know the exact price. I’ll never know how that is such a problem.
Not only did you not know the exact price, you didn't know any price. You knew nothing about something you brought up. Actually, your only point of reference was working at some store 20 years ago and that only old people used delivery services.

Listen to yourself already. This is the COVID thread and you’re losing it over some grocery delivery charges. Get real.
You brought up the subject of not being able to get groceries, I said there's options. I mean... It's really looking like you're the one losing it.

If you want to do something as ridiculous as arguing against something when you literally have no clue about, go for it.

Last edited:
Well, that was all... something. Quite something.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming wherein this thread contains useful information and news about COVID-19 and not how vaccination programs are bad because supermarket home delivery costs are impossible to find out.

So I didn't really realize how different Omicron was compared to Delta or Alpha, but this breaks it down pretty good and it's kind of wild to see on a chart:

Preliminary research suggests that it might date back as far as Feb 2020. There's also a theory that it may have evolved in an "animal reservoir" and evolutionary biologist Mike Worobey of the University of Arizona, Tucson provides an example that 80% of Iowa's whitetail deer population had chronic COVID. The deer avenue would be an intriguing one too since whitetails can cause Bovine Tb in humans and I know back in Michigan if you hunted a deer in a certain area it needed to be checked for Tb first.

The good news regarding Omicron is coming from Europe:

Right now 79 confirmed cases are being followed alongside several cases that are under investigation. Currently, it looks like everyone infected is either asymptomatic or has mild symptoms. While this would certainly not be good for case rates, it seems like it could be a positive sign that hospitals aren't going to be underwater if Omicron breaks out.

For more general information on Omicron and for a summary of what we currently know, you can look here:

The second confirmed case of Omicron found in the US:
The article preview says Omicron was first discovered in southern Africa. Is it not now understood to have been first observed elsewhere (I'm drawing a blank where that is) or have I misunderstood reporting on it?
Had to wait a while though - possibly the biggest queue for a prick since James Corden's last show.
I like Reggie.

Last edited:
The article preview says Omicron was first discovered in southern Africa. Is it not now understood to have been first observed elsewhere (I'm drawing a blank where that is) or have I misunderstood reporting on it?
I think we first discovered it in humans in South Africa, but where it actually originated is still a question mark for researchers. As for the observations, it seems like we maybe saw sort of a proto-Omicron in other places? I think it's all kind of muddled at the moment.

As what @Joey D said,
The 2nd case happens to be found here.
From a man that was vaccinated coming from New York on the 22nd. Tested positive on the 24th for it. Which is the same day that they announced a new variant out of South Africa and the first of what appears to be community spread as there was no evidence of being in South Africa.

Now since we have Omicron.
What happens if we run out of Greek letters for Covid?
Will it be then turned into Influenza-19?

I just want this to either just let it go about it's business and we do too, or enough posting about how have to go get vaccinated or boosted because it's mandatory. It'll be forever here now it's a matter of how long do we have to endure these bans and lockdowns.

But Andrew Rambaut of the University of Edinburgh can’t see how the virus could have stayed hidden in a group of people for so long. “I'm not sure there's really anywhere in the world that is isolated enough for this sort of virus to transmit for that length of time without it emerging in various places,” he says.
Clearly SOMEONE hasn't heard of Madagascar!

SHUTDOWNEVERYTHING.jpg

That divergent line is pretty incredible, though!

TB
Clearly SOMEONE hasn't heard of Madagascar!

SHUTDOWNEVERYTHING.jpg

That divergent line is pretty incredible, though!
Ahhhhh way back when. Back when that was just a silly flash game and not a vision of the future.

What happens if we run out of Greek letters for Covid?
I got you:

Basically, the WHO will pick some other arbitrary set of names to use. Thankfully, there's a decent amount of dead languages we can pull from. My guess is something in Latin though.

I got you:

Basically, the WHO will pick some other arbitrary set of names to use. Thankfully, there's a decent amount of dead languages we can pull from. My guess is something in Latin though.
I love how they skipped Xi because it's a name. We straight up name Hurricanes people names. I think we ought to do that with COVID variants too.

"A new COVID-19 variant has been found which will be named COVID Donald..."

A study of NBA players shows that breakthrough infections clear faster than infections for unvaccinated individuals.

Breakthrough infections among vaccine recipients were characterized by a faster clearance time than that among unvaccinated participants, with a mean of 5.5 days (95% credible interval, 4.6 to 6.5) and 7.5 days (95% credible interval, 6.8 to 8.2), respectively. The shorter clearance time led to a shorter overall duration of infection among vaccine recipients (Figure 1G).

Last edited:
Apparently 6 cases of the Omicron variant in Glasgow, UK have been linked to a concert held just a few hundred yards from my flat...

And to add insult to injury, it's the very same venue that until a few months ago was Scotland's largest COVID vaccination centre.

I know exactly nothing about Steps, but based solely on the picture shown in the tweet above, I can't imagine they're anything but awful.

I know exactly nothing about Steps, but based solely on the picture shown in the tweet above, I can't imagine they're anything but awful.
My mate used to run a Pub Quiz in London and he had a round where you had to guess the band name from the clue.

His brillant clue for this lot was "Take them to avoid them"

...and I thought I was in trouble because the Colorado case is an 45 minute drive from me.
Yes, it's a bit unsettling, because the crowds from these gigs go for drinks before and after the show in the bars right next to my flat. I've actually avoided drinking indoors in my local pubs but now it is too cold/wet to drink outside, so it looks like I'll be staying away from my local pubs for some time.

Last edited:
Apparently 6 cases of the Omicron variant in Glasgow, UK have been linked to a concert held just a few hundred yards from my flat...
Would you say it's a Tragedy or would you say It's the Last Thing on My Mind that's Better Best Forgotten?

I Surrender though and I'll get my coat...it's a Deeper Shade of Blue after all.

*Don't judge me, I know all about the Steps pre-1999.

My mate used to run a Pub Quiz in London and he had a round where you had to guess the band name from the clue.

His brillant clue for this lot was "Take them to avoid them"

Yes, it's a bit unsettling, because the crowds from these gigs go for drinks before and after the show in the bars right next to my flat. I've actually avoided drinking indoors in my local pubs but now it is too cold/wet to drink outside, so it looks like I'll be staying away from my local pubs for some time.
Stepping away*

Yes, you guessed it, he was unvaccinated.

Recap.

He's under 60
A former athlete, so presumably healthy
Was in the hospital for two and a half months
Was on a ventilator for over one month
Couldn't hardly move
Has blood clots in his neck (which can lead to a stroke)
Has no feeling in his right arm

And he's one of the lucky ones.

At least a bunch of people are getting vaccinated because of this.

Back