CRAP Club PCARS 2 Time Trials - Thanks for taking part everyone, we will return one day!

3:33.699 - Loose

Thankfully, a storm near me and some heavy winds blew away all the heat this evening, so I had another go...funky digits.

WgAGo8a.png

I'm struggling here, and it's got nothing to do with driving :(

Every time I try to start PC2 in VR it crashes my headset. Seems to be a Steam thing, as all my native Oculus games are just fine. Tried PC2 & ACC and the headset does the same thing in both. Going to try switching to the Steam beta channel to see if that helps...

Failing that it'll be back to setting a time with the pad in 2d (can't use the wheel without VR, no space to get everything set up in front of a screen without rearranging my entire living space!) and I'm not sure I can drive in 2d any more lol.

What brake bias did you use?! I'm suffering a lot with the brakes!
Didn't touch it. Doesn't it count as a modified setup run if you change the brake bias on-track? Never tested it myself.

Stable presets tend to have more bias towards the front. The loose setup's brakes felt pretty balanced to me.

Didn't touch it. Doesn't it count as a modified setup run if you change the brake bias on-track? Never tested it myself.

Stable presets tend to have more bias towards the front. The loose setup's brakes felt pretty balanced to me.
Nope it doesn't count as setup changes AFAIK.
As for yours being at default, wow... The problem must be then the idiot behind the wheel... The car was spinning like a Samba dancer! I had to bring it forward like 5 clicks, just to be able to get a clean lap.

Just to confirm everyone, brake balance is accepted....I never have changed it myself for the TTs, but you can do it if you wish to..

Results up in an hour or so.

Nope it doesn't count as setup changes AFAIK.
As for yours being at default, wow... The problem must be then the idiot behind the wheel... The car was spinning like a Samba dancer! I had to bring it forward like 5 clicks, just to be able to get a clean lap.
Yeah, the rear wheels lock up right away if you brake with the automatic clutch off, so I bound a button on the wheel to toggle it off when accelerating and on when approaching a corner. :lol:

The new CRAP PCARS 2 TT is.....

The 2012 Caterham SP300 R At Cadwell Park GP!!

2012 Caterham SP300 R (Trackday B).jpg

1200px-Cadwell_Park_track_map.svg.png

Conditions:

To be done in “Time Trial” mode using stock setup on "loose", "Stable" or "OEM" (If available).Brake balance can be adjusted also. (if you have a saved setup for this combo, please return it to “default” before trying, as times with the “setup used” symbol will show in the in game timing screen, and won’t be counted!) You can use driver aids if you wish! Post an in game screen shot of your time and post it here for it to count, Good luck!! ;)

This TT will run until next Tuesday night, the 7th of July, good luck!

Play, and stay safe! ;)

Yeah, the rear wheels lock up right away if you brake with the automatic clutch off, so I bound a button on the wheel to toggle it off when accelerating and on when approaching a corner. :lol:
And you wonder if changing brake bias is acceptable or not?! :lol:
I drive without any help so ofc without automatic clutch. Maybe that's the issue then and I thought it was the brake bias! 👍

1:20.180 - Loose

This car has a KERS system which adds ~40 horsepower and lasts for an entire lap on this track. It's a bit of a faff to keep the button pressed when driving though...and I have no idea how someone managed to get into the high 17s, that's alien speed! :lol:

fzDu3CZ.png

You don't happen to have any Razor SW installed, do you? Specifically Razor Cortex?

It's not that - I found a thread about that on Steam yesterday but I haven't got any Razer stuff, double checked anyway and definitely none of their software either. The only things that have changed recently is a Steam update, an nVidia driver update and a Windows 10 update. Tried rolling back the nVidia driver but it made no difference. The Windows update is for the new version of Edge and isn't easily removable, and Steam doesn't let you roll back. Tried going onto the beta channel in Steam but that didn't help either.

Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated :) I'll keep fighting with it!

It's not that - I found a thread about that on Steam yesterday but I haven't got any Razer stuff, double checked anyway and definitely none of their software either. The only things that have changed recently is a Steam update, an nVidia driver update and a Windows 10 update. Tried rolling back the nVidia driver but it made no difference. The Windows update is for the new version of Edge and isn't easily removable, and Steam doesn't let you roll back. Tried going onto the beta channel in Steam but that didn't help either.

Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated :) I'll keep fighting with it!

Ah - have you've gone to Windows 2004? Honestly I tend to stay away from the feature updates until they're practically forced on me.

Windows 2004 introduced quite a few changes to WMR AFAIK. Theoretically this should only have any effect if you have WMR installed, but given that it's buried quite deeply in the Windows system it may be that some parts linger there anyway and are having some side effects with steam VR and the Oculus drivers.

Sorry I can't help further as I'm really a Windows newbie having switched from Mac 6 months ago, mainly for gaming.

Ah - have you've gone to Windows 2004? Honestly I tend to stay away from the feature updates until they're practically forced on me.

Windows 2004 introduced quite a few changes to WMR AFAIK. Theoretically this should only have any effect if you have WMR installed, but given that it's buried quite deeply in the Windows system it may be that some parts linger there anyway and are having some side effects with steam VR and the Oculus drivers.

Sorry I can't help further as I'm really a Windows newbie having switched from Mac 6 months ago, mainly for gaming.

Not on 2004 yet, no - it's just Edge that got updated. Looks like that's not the culprit either, I've found a way to remove that and it's still the same :(

I've got my VR back! :D :D :D :D Happy happy day, - I'll put a quick how-I-fixed-it at the end of the post. In the meantime, I've been having an absolute blast with the Caterham at Cadwell. What a combo! It's an absolute rollercoaster ride, last time we were here was in an old Ferrari I think - this is a bit different. Tricky, but when you get through the first few corners and just line them up right it's glorious. I love this combo :bowdown:

I'm not that fast at it mind, but I'm enjoying myself :lol: - I'll start off with a 1:22.581 on the pad. By the time I figured out the VR issue I didn't want to wake the neighbours dragging the wheel out and setting it up....

20200704001611_1.jpg

The VR fix turned out to be similar what @Slapped was referring to the other day - I went back to the Steam discussion that I'd found that mentioned Razer software and while I don't have any of that stuff, this time I was paying attention and noticed a reference to a game boost mode. That rang a bell, and sure enough my Antivirus software (Bullguard) has that setting too. I reckon I switched it on when it was particularly warm here in an effort to stop my laptop self-igniting while gaming, but because it was so hot didn't do anything in VR for a week or so - by which time I'd forgotten I'd changed it.

Bottom line - turned it back off and I have VR back in Steam games :)

Edit - forgot to say, @NekoPufferPPP - it's not a KERS it's a Push-to-Pass. That means you don't need to hold the button down, just hit it once and it activates. Not sure how long it lasts but you get 10 shots I think, which is plenty for a lap!

Last edited:
@gregc, good to hear mate - it's almost always some stupid setting buried somewhere that appears to have no logical connection to what you're actually trying to do.

As my PC rigs are pretty much purely dedicated to gaming I try to keep them stupid simple and rely only on Windows Defender coupled with a good adblock (Ghostery in my case) to keep them free of nasties (all my work stuff is still on Mac). Even so weird crap still happens from time to time.

So far the best thing I've found about Windows is that when this weirdness does happen you can google it and almost always find a solution. With Mac not so much, you're often left on your own.

Still on the pad, just cba to set the wheel up. Made a decent improvement, just a couple of tenths off Neko (watch him go knock a second or two off now :lol:). I have fallen utterly head over heels in love with this combo, they are a match made in heaven. SO MUCH FUN!

New time - 1:20.362

20200705232551_1.jpg

And a ickle vid....

The new CRAP PCARS 2 TT is...

The 2016 Chevrolet IR-12 Road Indycar At Daytona Road Course!!!

2016 Chevrolet IR-12 Road Indycar.png

daytona road course.png

Conditions:

To be done in “Time Trial” mode using stock setup on "loose", "Stable" or "OEM" (If available).Brake balance can be adjusted also. (if you have a saved setup for this combo, please return it to “default” before trying, as times with the “setup used” symbol will show in the in game timing screen, and won’t be counted!) You can use driver aids if you wish! Post an in game screen shot of your time and post it here for it to count, Good luck!! ;)

This TT will run until next Tuesday night, the 14th of July, good luck!

Play, and stay safe! ;)

Today is a sad day... I received a phone call from my mom, and right before answering I had a really bad feeling... The feeling was correct. She had told me that the engine on our '01 Clio had fallen off its mounts...

I dunno what's salvageable, hopefully it's not a complete write-off. It fell as she started moving, so thankfully it wasn't at speed, else it could've ended up much worse...

The last trip to the mechanic went a bit half-:censored:d, and the engine mounts weren't replaced, as deemed necessary by the inspection garage in April. Plus, things happened, corona postponed stuff, and...unfortunately, it was an accident waiting to happen.

That cute little car has been in my life since I was 3...it's 19 years old and is only a couple thousand kilometers off having travelled the distance from the Earth to the Moon... Losing it would be like losing a family member...

Edit: False alarm. Mechanic checked it, turns out the engine's fine. Apparently some piece of plastic was the thing that started scraping on the floor... My mom looked under the hood and the engine seemed (to her) to be lower than usual. Anyway, she might've thought that because she was panicking... I should've known everything was fine when I asked her if the gearstick is still in the same place and she said yes... :banghead: But I was in a state of shock and couldn't think straight...same as her, I suppose.

On another note, my throttle pedal's spring half-broke...I took the pedals apart and saw the spring is on the verge of breaking. The pedal felt really light, that's why I had to check... Anyhow, the spring has to be replaced. Unfortunately, I think it's kinda impossible to have Thrustmaster send me a new spring, so...I made my own out of a wire with nothing more than two pliers, and it actually works! The wire's a little thinner than the original spring...so I might have to give it another twist for more resistance. The pedal's still lighter than usual but at least now it springs back fully. DIY for the win! :D

1:32.020 - Loose

4EX47mi.png

Last edited:
Had another quick go...or so I thought. I had to reassemble my pedals because the little motor which detects pedal movement (potentiometer?) wasn't in the correct position after I had replaced the throttle spring (gave it another twist so it's a bit stiffer), leaving a huge deadzone at the start of the throttle pedal...then I had to keep screwing the lid on and off and on and off until I got it right.

That was not the end of it though, as I had quickly realized the brake pedal's potentiometer was also mis-positioned! :banghead:

Recalibration didn't help, as they were turned beyond their detection range. Didn't think it would be such a big deal...

So basically, a lot of literal screwing around before I could hit the track... I don't have much energy left in me after all that...made a slight improvement, but that's all from me on this one.

1:31.893 - Loose

QuQwNff.png

I think I'll call this one fellas, I don't think anyone else will set a time in the next hour or so. I wish I could be taking part in the TTs, missing the fun!

Here are the results of the TT in the 2016 Chevy Indycar at Daytona Road Course.....

@NekoPufferPPP 1:31.893

@gregc 1:34.059

Well done again Neko for the win!! The new TT is coming right up!

The new CRAP PCARS 2 TT is.....

The 1988 Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth (Group A) At Classic Silverstone!!!

1988 Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth (Group A).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Conditions:

This TT will run until next Tuesday night, the 21st of July, good luck!

Play, and stay safe! ;)

Back