Crash Bandicoot Discussion - (It's About Time 10/2 Release)

• Thread starter GTvsForza
  • 383 comments
I completed Slippery Climb for the first time yesterday and only died 3-4 times in the process - I found it easier than quite a few levels I could mention, but I guess the challenge is to do it without dying at all - at least I am now much more hopeful that I can do it... shifting to the D-pad was a good move for this level though.

I completed Slippery Climb for the first time yesterday and only died 3-4 times in the process - I found it easier than quite a few levels I could mention, but I guess the challenge is to do it without dying at all - at least I am now much more hopeful that I can do it... shifting to the D-pad was a good move for this level though.
Linear and side-scrolling levels are better with the D-Pad.

I dunno who else realized this, but the DLC for Stormy Ascent is available for Crash 1. I completed it... after about 50 deaths. :lol:

It's difficult, obviously, but not frustratingly so. I still think the High Road is more difficult.
crash-bandicoot-stormy-ascent.jpg

I had quite a frustrating night with the game last night - I got stuck on 'Jaws of Darkness' (those bloody rotating/dropping stages) and so opted to try another level on Crash 2 (Bee-having and Ruination) or 3 (Road Crash) instead, only to be thwarted by those as well. I ended up winning on the latter (which is probably the easiest) and then stopped playing, since it's always a good idea to quit while you're ahead in this game. I'm sure I will get past Jaws of Darkness in the not-too-distant future, but it is mighty frustrating... I'm finding it hard to control using the analogue stick, but the D-pad is not great for this particular section, as you need to be able to move mid-air/jump at strange angles, and so far I have failed miserably at it. As for the Crash 2 levels, at least there is two to try, but both are quite tricky. I had quite a few attempts at Bee-having but was starting to lose patience with it after a while! As for Road Crash, I got it eventually but I don't like these 'racing' levels.

I haven't touched Crash in about a week. The High Road is a lot trickier than I thought, especially the beginning part.

I haven't touched Crash in about a week. The High Road is a lot trickier than I thought, especially the beginning part.
I didn't even bother trying to do it 'properly' and used the rope trick for the entire way.

I tried doing the rope trick, but I still fall.
Yeh, it's still a bit of a pain - but I managed it by going slowly and adjusting my lateral position slightly using the D-Pad so that Crash's feet are visibly on both sides of the rope at all times... I didn't need to do that in 'Road To Nowhere' but may be I just got lucky. By the end of 'The High Road' I was shuffling along incredibly slowly, but I made it. The other thing is jumping onto the stanchions that separate rope sections - you can get from one stretch of rope to another just by jumping on to (and subsequently dropping down from) those stanchions, and it makes getting on to the rope in the first place a lot easier. But you must then move very slowly away since Crash's feet are obscured for the first couple of steps - but you can use the D-Pad to make tiny adjustments and you soon get to a point where you can see Crash's feet and then see what you are doing. It is still not exactly easy though, but it is probably about a hundred times easier than doing it the conventional way!

-

I got the second key in Crash 1 last night, after struggling a bit with the rotating pillar section in 'Jaws of Darkness' - I eventually got it, but it is still tricky. But for every frustrating section in the game there is always something to make up for it - the level is fun to play and I love the sneakiness of the pathway to the gem route - thankfully I knew what to expect thanks to watching a walkthrough on Youtube.

I had a vivid dream last night where I was on a work away day to some castle high in the mountains somewhere. There was about 50 of us, and we came to a walkway that spanned an enormous drop, hundreds of feet above a deep ravine. We ventured round until the whole walkway was occupied by people from my work, but being near the front of the expedition, I had reached the end of the walkway and looked back, only to notice that the middle of the walkway was looking very precarious and ready to collapse at any moment. I pointed this out to the people standing next to me and they looked over in concern, but just as I was preparing to alert the people on the fragile-looking section, a square of concrete fell away and the woman standing on it fell to her certain death. Everyone else hastily scampered back to safety, but for two others who stayed behind to see where the woman had fallen, only for more sections of the walkway to collapse under them, and they too fell to their deaths.

I think I spent too long playing 'Jaws of Darkness'.

Alright I have two other questions:

How is the save system in the first game?

Is the first easier or harder than the original?
The save system is as you would expect in a modern game. Across all three games you hit L2 to bring up the save menus in the warp rooms. No passwords here.

The first game is harder than the original, or at least that's what many people are saying, and I would agree. With a slight change in the physics engine and collision detection you might find that the game isn't as precise as the original game.

The save system is as you would expect in a modern game. Across all three games you hit L2 to bring up the save menus in the warp rooms.
Good. I think we can all agree the first had a bad save system.
The first game is harder than the original
Okay, I am not liking the sound of that already. I have been playing the original Crash lately, I am only 1/3 of the way through and I am already wanting to rage quit from the game due to how unbelievably hard it is. The first seems much harder than the second and if it is even harder on the N'Sane Trilogy, it's making me second guess buying it. (Which I hate to say)

One other thing I meant to ask is do you have to beat the 1st to play the 2nd and such? To the ones that have played the game, in your experience, do ya'll actually consider it harder than the originals?

Okay, I am not liking the sound of that already. I have been playing the original Crash lately, I am only 1/3 of the way through and I am already wanting to rage quit from the game due to how unbelievably hard it is. The first seems much harder than the second and if it is even harder on the N'Sane Trilogy, it's making me second guess buying it. (Which I hate to say)

One other thing I meant to ask is do you have to beat the 1st to play the 2nd and such? To the ones that have played the game, in your experience, do ya'll actually consider it harder than the originals?
I suppose it's worth saying that it may only seem harder if you are used to the original game (the first game only, the second and third don't seem to be so difficult) and with some time getting adjusted it's not so bad. Sure, there are a few standout levels, the bridge ones, which are pretty frustrating to complete, but by no means is it a deal breaker.

You can play all 3 games right from the start, no need to unlock any of them. The developer even suggests you start with 2 or 3 to get a hang of the physics/ game-play before playing the first game.

Good. I think we can all agree the first had a bad save system.

The save system was designed for those without memory cards back in the day. It meant you could get back to exactly where you left off provided you wrote down the cheat code.

Just dive in and play it. It can be a little frustrating but I bet you will enjoy it, especially if you enjoyed the original.

it's making me second guess buying it. (Which I hate to say)
I finished Crash 1 the other day, so it really can't be that hard. Just like it was 20 years ago, it can be frustrating at first, but something strange happens - you learn each section of each level before getting stuck on a particularly hard bit - you then become so determined to finish the level that you blaze through the rest of the level without even thinking, and then eventually you get past the hard bit, and then you have no trouble doing it again. It's a bit like 'The Karate Kid' - you spend loads of time waxing the car and painting the fence without realising that you are becoming highly skilled at 'not dying', and before you know it you are completing the game. I really loved Crash Bandicoot back in the day, but I didn't actually play it all that much - this game is a near-perfect remaster and is worth the price just to have it for posterity, but in fact it is just as good (if not more so) than the original and you'd be mad not to buy it just because you've heard it's too hard... it's not. That said, I don't fancy my chances at the platinum trophy!

You can play all 3 games right from the start, no need to unlock any of them. The developer even suggests you start with 2 or 3 to get a hang of the physics/ game-play before playing the first game.
Good! I was a bit concerned I had to beat the 1st the played the 2nd, but I am glad that's not the case. Chances are I may start out with the 2nd since it's what I grew up with.
I finished Crash 1 the other day, so it really can't be that hard. Just like it was 20 years ago, it can be frustrating at first, but something strange happens - you learn each section of each level before getting stuck on a particularly hard bit - you then become so determined to finish the level that you blaze through the rest of the level without even thinking, and then eventually you get past the hard bit, and then you have no trouble doing it again. It's a bit like 'The Karate Kid' - you spend loads of time waxing the car and painting the fence without realising that you are becoming highly skilled at 'not dying', and before you know it you are completing the game.
You do have a point there.

you'd be mad not to buy it just because you've heard it's too hard... it's not.
Good to know. I was skeptical about people saying it was harder, which was why I asked ya'll since I know ya'll have a good understanding of the game. Considering I don't have to beat the 1st to play the others, that makes me feel a lot better about the game.
The save system was designed for those without memory cards back in the day. It meant you could get back to exactly where you left off provided you wrote down the cheat code.
I don't mind the password system personally, it's the process of getting it that bothers me. What it makes it bad in my opinion is the fact you can only save/get the password when you collect the tokens and beat the bonus level on certain levels. If you die, well that's tough luck really.

Flush with confidence after completing Crash 1, I had a go at the last levels on Crash 2 and swiftly got my arse handed to me on a plate - they are quite tricky!

edit: Completed Crash 2 last night and got those Speed Shoes - although those platinum times are ridiculous!

Last edited:
I had a quick shot of the game yesterday morning and managed to complete 'Fumbling In The Dark' - unfortunately I didn't get the gem because:

I missed the seven boxes at the start of the level - you have to track back before starting the level :embarrassed:uch

Flush with confidence after completing Crash 1, I had a go at the last levels on Crash 2 and swiftly got my arse handed to me on a plate - they are quite tricky!

edit: Completed Crash 2 last night and got those Speed Shoes - although those platinum times are ridiculous!
GarlandTheGreat makes those Platinum times look like Bronze! He is insanely fast!

I just got the red gem in Slippery Climb :D

I got so close on my first attempt this afternoon - I screwed up the jump on the birds right at the end... I think the resulting expletive may have made it into the Guinness Book of World Records. I then tried it again and screwed up a few times getting the boxes in the final recess, but I nailed it this time around - thank goodness for that, and now I only need the two clear gems for which the red gem is required to have all 26!

edit: Just got 100% on Crash 1 👍 Now just to get those gold relics :nervous:

Last edited:
Is it bad I had an easier time on that level than some of the other ones on the original Crash? (It wasn't easy by any stretch, but it was easier than some others I had done)

I doubt I'll ever finish Crash 1. The High Road is stupid hard.
Try going back to Road To Nowhere and use Time Trial mode - there you can practice the rope trick as much as you like without burning through lives... once you have mastered it (or at least practiced it) The High Road is not that bad. There are sections of The High Road that are fine to do without the rope trick, namely the first two sections - use your shadow to get more accurate landings... also the turtles at the end are easy if you use your shadow to position your landing. Good luck though - I've still not finished the level without using the rope trick, but I'm working on it!

On a related note, I just completed Road To Nowhere in Time Trial mode for the first time - a whole 13 seconds off a Sapphire relic :ill:

Last edited:
Speaking of which, is it possible to kill that stupid hog that can somehow float in the air on The High Road and Road to Nowhere in The N' Sane Trilogy?

I didn't think about that. You know it's kind of dumb how you can kill Papu Papu along with other large bosses, heck you can even destroy N. Gin's mech, but you can't kill that stupid pig! I really don't see why a spin or jump attack shouldn't defeat it.

Back