Crash damage

• Thread starter BMfan
  • 31 comments
BMfan\GTP_BMfans
I thought it would be good if everyone explained what sort of crash damage they would like in GT5:P. I think that if they do put damage in it must be proper, in other words if you hit a wall head on at 124mph \200km\h your car is totalled and you need to get a new one.The damage must be close to real life(excluding driver) with the option to turn it off. That's just what i think, i have played forza 2 and i found that the damage was a joke.I hope that PD will read this and see what we would like.

eh, i don't really care so much about damage...if you hit a wall you're already not going to run your best lap anyway.

I just want the online fixed, and adding damage will only make it worse. Now when you get shoved into the wall you're out of the race for good? Want that just encourage ramming? Because the more cars they take out, the less competitors they have?

I'd like the damage to be 100% realistic. If you total a car, your race ends, it's totaled and you have to buy a new one. If you damage a car, it stays damaged until its repaired.

I thought it would be good if everyone explained what sort of crash damage they would like in GT5:P.

Isn't GT5:P already out? Do you mean the final version of GT5?

When I hit the wall at 124mph, I want to wake up in hospital surrounded by beautiful nurses. :)

If a road car's involved in a 124mph-accident, you'll probably wish you were dead if you wind up in a hospital.

I agree with the 100% realistic Damage Idea, Will encourage ppl to drive how the simulator wants them to drive, which would hopefully encourage proper online racing!

And if they dont make it 100% realistic can they call it 'the real driving simulator'?

I think damage should definately be online, but probably with a slight difference to offline. eg, damage done to the front of the car is far more severe than done to the rear, so if some one decides there going to arse end u at high speed they will mess up there engine so lose speed or even write off there car, as this would massively reduce ramming!

But also with online there should be flexibilty, if ur hosting a private race you should have the option of something like Simulation, Light Damage or No Damage.

Pupik, it's a game. I was joking. :rolleyes:

But seriously, crash damage would spoil the game. Unless of course you like wrecking cars. Maybe there could be a demolition derby mode? Perhaps where hapless drivers could choose... any non-Nissan make of car... and then get crushed, instantly, under 7 tons of GTR?

Crash damage, when coming, should be realistic. But I'm not sure how I would like it implemented. Offline I would have liked to pay for certain repairs. But I lean towards per race crash damage, which is gone before the next race.

Online should have self inflicted damage only. Another guy deliberately ramming you should cause damage to him, not to you. This way rammers, wall riders and cheaters will be penalized. What I would welcome even more is flag-rules.

Blue flag drivers when a considerably faster driver tries to pass. Yellow flag when there's a danger, and so forth.

eh, i don't really care so much about damage...if you hit a wall you're already not going to run your best lap anyway.

I just want the online fixed, and adding damage will only make it worse. Now when you get shoved into the wall you're out of the race for good? Want that just encourage ramming? Because the more cars they take out, the less competitors they have?

If the punters online who are out to cause damage try to give it to you they will get it in return if damage is consistent. If you hit someone hard enough to send them into the wall at 125mph in the current GT5p physics chanes are you will cave your front end in and/or do enough damage to yourself that you won't be competitive anyway. Most of the punters I've seen can barely turn a corner let alone planning a way to punt someone without fully ramming them off the circuit.

But seriously, crash damage would spoil the game. Unless of course you like wrecking cars. Maybe there could be a demolition derby mode? Perhaps where hapless drivers could choose... any non-Nissan make of car... and then get crushed, instantly, under 7 tons of GTR?

thats why i said you could turn it on\off ,for people that don't want damage

I don't really need graphical damage, I would be happy with just poor performance or your car pulling hard to left/right or something like that. I do think if you hit a wall dead on at 120mph, then you should at least be out of the race.

All the ideas you guys have sound good. I guess it's all about what they can do with the code. I think we are complaining about penalties and how they are applied, but I wonder if it's real difficult to code the game where it knows the intentions of the player. I'm not a game designer so I have no idea, but from what I do know about programming I would think it's difficult.

EDIT: Just read Kikies link, I guess my idea sucks. lol

If the punters online who are out to cause damage try to give it to you they will get it in return if damage is consistent. If you hit someone hard enough to send them into the wall at 125mph in the current GT5p physics chanes are you will cave your front end in and/or do enough damage to yourself that you won't be competitive anyway. Most of the punters I've seen can barely turn a corner let alone planning a way to punt someone without fully ramming them off the circuit.

it doesn't take much of a hit to high-side somebody at daytona :(

How many threads do we need about damage?

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=105030&highlight=damage
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=104589&highlight=damage
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=104056&highlight=damage
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103700&highlight=damage

And that's not including various threads that the subject has been brought up in.

PD is going to do it how they want to do it, if at all. It's impossible to give realistic damage with all the cars so there will be some sort of compromise.

I want absolute realism, as much as possible, no compromises. And I don't just want it to be aesthetic either. I want the internals of the car to sustain damage as well, like the radiator, intercooler, suspension parts, tires, driveshafts, etc. And if the damage isn't detrimental, I want the car to drive accordingly. Like if you rear wing falls off, you should feel massive amounts of oversteer.

I bet this sort of damage would greatly decrease the number of jackasses in the game. We could see all the punters go up in smoke as their radiators and intercoolers puncture.

I like the idea of taking the damage away from your winnings. Why should you have to buy a new car. If you have too much damage you don't win anything. If you ram a car, you accept their damage bill. How about footing the bill to the drivers that are only out there to put people to the wall. I am ok with my car being messed up if I hit a wall. If someone else makes me hit the wall, fine I can take damage to the car.... but foot them the bill. Maybe then they will go back to playing NFS or Nascar.... or whatever they play.

I foresee more hosts quitting the game after a crash if damage reduces the payout.

I love the idea, but I fear for the consequences if it's not implemented with care.

rofl yeah. well just have to be a more careful and realistic racer. i can see myself going so broke in the game and having to start a new one every month. but it would be nice to see damage in our favorite game.

My suggestion: There should be some kind of "career" mode with progression through a series, perhaps gradually moving up through classes. Full damage would be an option. Within the career mode there would be a linear progression. Repairs would have to be paid for out of winnings & totally wrecking the car would obviously eliminate you from that race. You could not simply replay events in order to accumulate winnings.

Playing career mode through a season or several seasons without restarting, would add a completely new dimension to GT racing - you would be forced to moderate risky driving behaviour in the short-term with long-term goals in mind - finishing the race, finishing the season. Of course, it would have to be combined with better AI & collision physics.

I believe this game-play structure would make for far more realistic, immersive & tense racing. Please see F1:CE for an example of how this works in practice... 👍

My suggestion: There should be some kind of "career" mode with progression through a series, perhaps gradually moving up through classes. Full damage would be an option. Within the career mode there would be a linear progression. Repairs would have to be paid for out of winnings & totally wrecking the car would obviously eliminate you from that race. You could not simply replay events in order to accumulate winnings.

Playing career mode through a season or several seasons without restarting, would add a completely new dimension to GT racing - you would be forced to moderate risky driving behaviour in the short-term with long-term goals in mind - finishing the race, finishing the season. Of course, it would have to be combined with better AI & collision physics.

I believe this game-play structure would make for far more realistic, immersive & tense racing. Please see F1:CE for an example of how this works in practice... 👍

Great Idea!!! I just want to add on thing, for me if you repair your car after a light damage your car could be repaired to its full potential but if you go strait in to the wall at more then 50 mph there is no repair that could make the car drive the same way. So if you crash your car hard enough you should buy another one or the game could erase from you garage because you totaled you car in that race.

It would be like a RPG Mode.

In a mode like this you will create a bond to the car the you buy because you know you will loose it if you drive like a mad man.

I thought it would be good if everyone explained what sort of crash damage they would like in GT5:P. I think that if they do put damage in it must be proper, in other words if you hit a wall head on at 124mph \200km\h your car is totalled and you need to get a new one.The damage must be close to real life(excluding driver) with the option to turn it off. That's just what i think, i have played forza 2 and i found that the damage was a joke.I hope that PD will read this and see what we would like.

Forza 2 had options for damage and I think the system worked really well.

==========================

Cosmetic = Just graphically damage. No aero, gearbox, shocks, steering etc.

Limited = Some physical damage to the vehicle. About 50% of normal.

Simulation = Not nearly 100% realistic, but you could kill your car depending. A front engine car hitting a wall at 100 mph or so, could total it. It depended on what part(s) were damaged at what angle, speed, where is the engine etc.

=================================

Normally in a race a decent collision could hinder aero and take 3-5 seconds or so off your lap time. Steering or shock damage could do about the same. Gearbox would kill your acceleration or eliminate a certain gear.

Bottomline is that Turn 10 didn't want to stop you from finishing your race, but there was a significant penalty if you planned on winning.

I think it worked really well. Some rooms used simulation, some limited. Very few rooms used cosmetic. When simulation damage is on people do drive more realistically. It's disappointing to get taken out by someone, but the community knows it's and issue and the offender apologizes profusely or is quickly scorned and booted. It works. I hope PD offers something very close to the same system.

If we have to choose between perfect graphic damage and damage, I'd take damage any day. Screw the perfect graphics. This isn't a showroom for Nissan and Mitsubishi. It's a racing simulator. I vote "no" to bumper cars. :)

EDIT: Repair costs were minimal and automatically taken from your winnings at the finish screen after an online race. It didn't bankrupt anyone and wasn't a big deal. More like a damage "tax".

==============================

Just saw this in an earlier post. It's KY's quote on damage.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3005599&postcount=1

How accurate do you model the car damage and how does it affect the driving of the car?
- It’s almost impossible to make the damage completely realistic, because even a minor damage can make the car impossible to drive. That’s why the damage must be balanced in a right way. Car damage will most likely be more of a visual effect than changing the way the car behaves.

Kill me now...

Forza 2 had options for damage and I think the system worked really well.

==========================

Cosmetic = Just graphically damage. No aero, gearbox, shocks, steering etc.

Limited = Some physical damage to the vehicle. About 50% of normal.

Simulation = Not nearly 100% realistic, but you could kill your car depending. A front engine car hitting a wall at 100 mph or so, could total it. It depended on what part(s) were damaged at what angle, speed, where is the engine etc.
+1
People who don't like damage don't have to complain about damage being implemented in GT5, because if there is some sort of a damage on/off button like JackB descibed, they can play GT5 without damage. People whom like damage can switch damage "on".

Well no, if they ram you, they're likely to suffer serious damage, enough not to be able to complete the race or at least not pass anybody anymore.

Having physical and cosmetic damage for offline is a great idea to Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. If you both have physical and cosmetic damage for offline and your car got damaged, your prize CP would be deducted due to the damage. If your car got totaled, you can always restart the race. For online, I think it's fair to have physical and cosmetic damage because it's like going to a drive meet, race for practice and if you lose control, your car get damaged. Online should be different until then. If your car got totaled in online mode, it's over and you don't automatically and manually pay for the damage at all. It'll be fixed by itself after you're done, quit or be out of the race. This game has to have realism similar to the real life counterparts, but not too real though. I also want the online to be lag-free. That's all there is to it and all Gran Turismo 5 Prologue online players out there should drive clean at all times. If not, they would be upset. I get upset easily in online mode, so don't bother.

Great post JackB

I for one am interested in online damage model and would like to see it as a way to promote 'racettiquette'.

An indea would be that car damage to the back of someones car doesn't influence it's behaviour, but damaging the front would (like in radiator broken).
Now try and ram me out the first corner of suzuka, i'll surely catch up with that rammers heating engine, and i won't punt him off because i like my radiatior in functioning order ;)
The guy ramming will also think twice before doing the same trick as he risks dropping out.

Well, i guess you get the idea, how can we best use a damage model to persuade people to drive carefully and competitive.
The wallsurfers are surely ****ed with some damage, as long as it's not mere cosmetics but damage that breaks down a cars performance.

I'm already having a blast online, i don't know why but i always seems to start at the end, which is great because the first place is so far away, i'm just looking for signes of 'another one biting the dust'.
It's so much fun just staying on the track and gaining places because others want to make up 5 seconds in 1 corner ;)

When I hit the wall at 124mph, I want to wake up in hospital surrounded by beautiful nurses. :)

Hey man, I'm a nurse and I sure aint beautiful! ;) But there are quite a few on my floor alone.

Anyways, implementing crash damage online would take some creative thinking to keep punters and basher from ruining the race. If everyone was to race proper and professionally it would be a great feature. If private rooms are implemented with crash damage implemented, then that would be a great game.

I agree, I have forza 2 also, and damage was definitely poorly implemented. While the aesthetics of the damage was quite pleasing to see, it was all very unrealistic. Collisions that happened at high speeds resulted in a car that was able to still finish a race at reduced speed, when in reality or in a simulation type of environment, it would have been a DNF, and the racer would have been out of the race for good.

As much as I would like damage to be implemented, I want it implemented properly more. Hoping PD gets it right, just like they got a lot of physics right in the game.

I would like to see realistic damage that affects performance and can end the race if severe enough.

Perhaps there should be options just like in physics, where you could choose damage degree.

The simulation fans (like myself) would play with full damage and those that want only cosmetic / no damage could select that as well.

Damage from ramming should be mitigated so that the rammer gets more damaged than the ramee.

Back