Cursed Political Content

• Thread starter TexRex
  • 5,770 comments
Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan...you know as well as I do that that sort of interpretation doesn't fit modern American conservative discourse.
I know, every day it seems republicans are a little more open to claim that someone they don't agree with should not be a representative or have representation.

Last edited:
I'd never heard of him before and only just found out the people whose immigration he so strongly opposes are seeking the same kind of political asylum as his grandfather did when he fled the Holocaust.

[EDIT] ... although maybe I should have heard about him when @Rex posted a tweet of his earlier in this thread.
[EDIT EDIT] Even more embarrasingly I
posted about him too. He's just so damned forgettable

Last edited:
I'd never heard of him before and only just found out the people whose immigration he so strongly opposes are seeking the same kind of political asylum as his grandfather did when he fled the Holocaust.
You and your facts. :irked:

Reminds me of Stephen Miller's Jewish ancestors fleeing persecution in Eastern Europe (prior to the Holocaust, mind) and making it to the US just a couple of years before the America Firsters that Dr. Seuss drew in his editorial cartoonist days closed the borders off to Jews.

Edit: I'm not so vindictive that I'd oppose refugee settlement here based on the slim chance we'd end up with more hateful ****ers like Miller and Mandel in a few generations.

Last edited:
Edit: I'm not so vindictive that I'd oppose refugee settlement here based on the slim chance we'd end up with more hateful ****ers like Miller and Mandel in a few generations.
Of course not, but their hypocrisy should absolutely be exposed.

Of course not, but their hypocrisy should absolutely be exposed.
I appreciate the sentiment here but I don't think this is actually hypocrisy. Neither approved of or opposed their ancestors coming to this country, but it's not a stretch to conclude that they've benefitted from it. It's more insidious than hypocrisy. I don't know that there's actually a term for it.

I appreciate the sentiment here but I don't think this is actually hypocrisy. Neither approved of or opposed their ancestors coming to this country, but it's not a stretch to conclude that they've benefitted from it. It's more insidious than hypocrisy. I don't know that there's actually a term for it.
I don't quite get this. Shouldn't the Afghans also be allowed to benefit from going to America as well as Joe Mandel?

I don't quite get this. Shouldn't the Afghans also be allowed to benefit from going to America as well as Joe Mandel?
Yes. My apologies if I didn't clearly state what I was suggesting before. Let me try again.

Miller and Mandel are likely here because their ancestors chose to come here for the opportunities available. The potential for future generations to suffer descendants of these refugees as despicable as Miller and Mandel isn't reason to oppose their settlement here. Saying it as I did was an external response to a hypothetical internal idea of my own.

Seems it may have been a swing and a miss on my part.

The author of "Tech Panic" is unable to do simple arithmetic?

Thats Terrifying GIF by reactionseditor

TB
The author of "Tech Panic" is unable to do simple arithmetic?
I figured he had a tech panic at the notion of attempting to use a calculator.

I generally respect Reason but there are some really out there takes, and they seem to be almost exclusively from Robby Soave.

Cursed or George thread?

His name came up recently, actually. He was having a paddy on Twitter about Afghan men "coming over here" to Oklahoma with their child brides.

It would have been rude to point out that the then-18-year old Jackson Lahmeyer married 17-year old Heather Grubb in 2010 who, as a minor, required a parental signature of consent to marry. Of course they've since split and he has five kids with his second wife, Kendra Lahmeyer (nee King).

Because something like 600-700 of the victims were non-white, right? Or that 90+ countries lost 400+ people in the attacks?

What a completely disrespectful stance to take & on a religious one, at that.

Tell me you're a worthless piece of ** without actually telling me you're a worthless piece of **.

20210912-114830.png

The Homosexuality thread, obvs.

:P
These takes are sooooo bad. "Now you give a damn" as if a 19 year old Omar should've been there in NYC when it happened to "prove her patriotism" or something.

These takes are sooooo bad. "Now you give a damn" as if a 19 year old Omar should've been there in NYC when it happened to "prove her patriotism" or something.
I suspect the implication is that Omar didn't give a damn when she said "some people did something," indeed this phrase was widely panned by right-wing media and political figures as "downplaying the events of September 11th." The problem is that that notion breaks down when you present those four words in their full context, which was Omar calling out those who used wrongs perpetrated by some as justification for wrongs perpetrated against others. What she actually said was factually inaccurate, but context shows the aim wasn't to downplay.

Back