Customizable Interface

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 11 comments
United States
Everywhere
I would LOVE to have a customizable race-time interface with simple scripting ability. If I could place items on the display, and calculate values on the fly, I would be so freaking happy! In addition to getting the leader's time, or second place's time, I'd want everyone's time.

I'd like to be able to see more lap splits. I would want to see how I was doing in an individual sector as compared to the previous laps.

Basically a way to pick a hotspot on the screen, set the font size/color/attributes, and assign an equation to the hotspot that is calculated on the fly. This would require lots of scripting ability be built into the interface with simple scripting commands - but I think it would pay off big time.

Similar note: I'd like a ghost car in simulation mode. I'd like to be able to scroll through each of the car's best laps.

I'd also like to move the speedometer and tachometer, and maybe the gear display.

I'm all about interface.

~LoudMusic

And what game was it that I was playing where the car on the map stayed pointing toward the top of the screen and the course rotated around it as you drove the race? It made it so much easier to spot your own car on the track and see where you were headed next.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic
And what game was it that I was playing where the car on the map stayed pointing toward the top of the screen and the course rotated around it as you drove the race? It made it so much easier to spot your own car on the track and see where you were headed next.

~LoudMusic

I remember that - wasn't that one of the F1 games - the EA one maybe?

I don't know that I've played those. I think this was a much older game. Did the early Need for Speed games do that? And Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero did that pan thing because the maps were so huge. If the maps had higher detail so you could see width a little, and sand pits and walls were marked, having the map pan would be cool. Or if it zoomed in and out according to speed like GTA1 and GTA2 did with the main screen ... wow.

~LoudMusic

But that gets to the point of being heavily distracting. There's a rant about all the stupid animations in OS X somewhere else.

I just want to be able to calculate my own time fields so I can have very detailed improvement measurements on the screen.

~LoudMusic

Sheesh - and I'm already *****ing about the course map obstructing my view in WRC2001 (and thanks to the occasionally late call from the co-driver you need it on!)

Originally posted by F2002
more cars on a grid would be nice too...

I'm not sure I know what that means. You want more cars at the starting line? I don't see how that has anything to do with the race time interface.

About the map ... if it were to zoom in and out, I wouldn't want the whole thing to be on the screen. There would be a defined box that it had to stay in. I don't know how useful it would be on small courses, but if they started making really large courses that were spread out, it could be handy.

I'm sticking with my "rotating map" thing though. I think that'd be nice.

~LoudMusic

yeh, NFS3 and NFS4 had that.......

nfs4 is still going pretti strong, the community is still growing and the cars ppl are makin are unreal.

a 70K poly car came out last week :D

Originally posted by LoudMusic
I don't know that I've played those. I think this was a much older game. Did the early Need for Speed games do that? And Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero did that pan thing because the maps were so huge. If the maps had higher detail so you could see width a little, and sand pits and walls were marked, having the map pan would be cool. Or if it zoomed in and out according to speed like GTA1 and GTA2 did with the main screen ... wow.

~LoudMusic

Actually, now I remember, it was old Sega arcade game, Virtua Racing - the rotating track was quite hypnotic.

Yes, this is a great idea, LoudMusic. Although I think Polyphony would consider most of detailed scripting too advanced for most gamers ( :rolleyes: ), it's a possibility.

Back