"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still not happy leaving my SR in the 80's, I decided to do DTS again. Started P13/16 on a mixed grid of mostly DR/A and B with a couple of Cs and five of us Ds. I decided to give @05XR8 current weapon of choice, the zoomzoom mobile a crack. For some weird reason the way it behaved reminded me of my Subaru :dopey:.

The race starts and a Viper comes up the outside round the bend headed towards the chicane. It's obvious he's going to get there first so I didn't see the point to charging in. I picked my way through the chicane painfully slowly, because the cars in front were painfully slow. One thing I noticed with the Atenza was I seemed to be constantly held up at the chicane because everyone I came across was slower. Nice turn in, and it really grips the exit under power. I just could never get a clear run through there.

Had some interesting moments. Two cars going at it suddenly veered off coming out of the esses, one to the left and one to the right. I just sailed down the middle. I cleared through another altercation, driving through a ghost and hoping it stayed ghosted :scared:. And then my fav. A car spun out in front of me, didn't ghost, and by some miracle I managed to swerve in time to miss them :eek:. I've seen so many people t-bone a spun out car they couldn't avoid. It wasn't good driving, it was pure blind luck :lol:.

I guess the highlight of the race was getting passed. I was side by side for a long way with the guy who started 2 positions behind me. Having the track so wide meant it was easy for me to give him space on the outside. He finished 2 positions ahead of me. As for me I finished P11. Could have been higher but I messed up the bus stop once.

Must have been some contact somewhere. No penalties, but I didn't get the full +5 SR I know is up for grabs. Did get another 2 which puts me up to 90. DR loss was about 100. Another day above DR 1 :dopey:.

Here's a summary of my "daily" racing; spent most of my time on Bathurst.

View attachment 760296

Each day pretty much did some qualifying hot-laps with a few cars, then decided which one felt the best/fastest, and then raced.

Tuesday tried the Hyundai, Alfa 4C, Viper, and the Jaguar F-type. Went with the F-type as it felt really stable on the downhill run thru the dipper, but seemed a bit lazy on the top of the mountain.

Wednesday tried the Toyota Supra, FT-1, Nissan GT-R and the Mercedes AMG GT '16. Went with the Merc as it felt really good everywhere, but it seemed to lack a bit of speed on the straights unfortunately. The Supra was just slow, the Ft-1 handled really well but 2nd/3rd gears was really tail-happy, and I felt the Nissan understeered too much for my liking.

Friday tried the VW Beetle, VW GTI VGT, and the Aston Martin. Chose the VW GTI for two races; it's a monster on the straights and pretty good overall, but I felt laps 4 and 5 were getting a bit too slideways. Finally used the Aston Martin; it was generally pretty good but seemed to used more fuel than the other cars I tried.

One thing I noticed was that matchmaking got worse as the days ticked by (My usual time slot is normally 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm New Zealand time). Although I improved my qualifying time each day, I was really surprised to get pole 4 races in row (I have 38 poles in 560+ races).

Looking forward to Gr.1/Le Mans combo.

That's pretty much in line with my experience although the Beetle and GTI VGT drank more than the Aston Martin in my case (AT).

As the week progressed times seem to get longer instead of improving. The dirtier people outlasted the faster clean drivers. Yesterday was the slowest and dirtiest day of the week with worst matchmaking. A+/S to D/S rooms during prime time.

Since I was racing in the fast room (over 90 SR) all the time I can sort of calculate the pace for each day. Average winning times:
Monday 19:19.690
Tuesday 19:15.823
Wednesday 19:21.867 (some slower rooms included, briefly visited 80-89 range of SR.S)
Thursday 19:19.264
Friday 19:17.804
Saturday 19:15.542

Actually the pace at the top did improve, however the pace in the back definitely got worse as I kept starting behind more and more D/S drivers. Still yesterday only barely improved on Tuesday thanks to one fast driver having free reign in a number of races.

My race history updated for Bathurst, too long to post :) I did 4 more races with the RCF GT3 after completing driving every car at least twice.
A total of 75 races this week (so far) over the mountain without qualifying.

Total number of positions gained: 700, average 9.3 cars passed per race.
Total SR gained: 470 gained - 59 lost = 411 net gain, average 5.5 SR per race. (out of max 15 per race)

12 out of 75 races had red SR. Worst was Wednesday, -19 for one race getting stuck in the middle of two pinball accidents. Yesterday the quality of racing was by far the worst, though at some point the dirty drivers all knock each other off without posing a threat beyond the first lap.

Next week GR.1 testing on LeMans!

Yeah, GTI VGT sure drinks a lot on that track, had 1,8 laps fuel left at L5 even with decent amount of shortshifting. But I don't think that car can last more than 5 laps due to tyres getting trashed by lap 5.

Still incredibly fast at some parts, lacks bit of top speed tho.

Gladly I'm not alone with these SR problem. Today at "dailyrace" I got bonus about -clean race- but my SR dropped S-> A... what
I'm starting to hate this game...

Whats happening? Is it just me or is there something going on? Since the new tyre model i've dropped like 6000 DR points. No matter how much quali laps i put in, i always start at the back. Even with a time of 2.04.XXX i start 17th at Panorama. My time at the previous tyre model was a 2.03.XXX. but it always had me in the top 8, most of the time higher up. Or am i just worse with this tyre model and other people are just better?
Of my last 16 races only 3 races where i lost places, the rest of them i only gained, but almost never get a DR up... and when it does is't like 100 points.
Also machmaking seems a bit off lately! 2 A's with all B's or worse. How im i supposed to get my DR up while being put in the same soom as DR D?!

Had a good week of "daily" races overall. I probably raced 30 times at DT Seaside on Wednesday and Saturday combined. Some ups and downs but in the end I think I net-gained about 6000DR despite being disconnected two different times and losing a total of about 3000. I also increased my consecutive clean race streak from 4 to 5....I know that's not impressive but my streak of 4 was pretty long-standing so I'm glad it went up. I'm still perfecting my racecraft, I have to remind myself I've only been doing this thing for about 8 months and I'm racing against guys who've been competitive for years in some cases. Also, going for clean races and winning at the same time in A/S lobbies is pretty tough to do if you're not alien-like (I'm not).

Having said that, I managed to get my Seaside qualy time down to 1:46.3, which was usually good enough for top 5-8 on the grid, always top 10. I think I could have gotten down to 1:46.1 maybe 1:45.9 had I been willing to put in more laps, but I just wanted to race from a good position, not spend half a day hot-lapping. Oh, and that time was in the Corvette, as I refuse to drive the Veyron (not only because it's meta, but I also suck with AWD). Had a ton of great races with the guys up front, seems like there were a few who were racing all day like me (Turtle12, Freemanphoenix, among others).

Shout out to my new friends who raced clean with me this past week, and I look forward to meeting more of you :cheers: :gtpflag:

Prolly my last b race today. One red bar guy in second on my inside in turn one and caused me to get overtaken so up the hill in p3.
Good race. Good battle. Midway through second lap lagger guys car kind of stops so I am in p2 and overtake for first final lap and then don’t defend final corner and get overtaken.
P2.
Looking forward to new races.
Have fun!

Still not happy leaving my SR in the 80's, I decided to do DTS again. Started P13/16 on a mixed grid of mostly DR/A and B with a couple of Cs and five of us Ds. I decided to give @05XR8 current weapon of choice, the zoomzoom mobile a crack. For some weird reason the way it behaved reminded me of my Subaru :dopey:.

The race starts and a Viper comes up the outside round the bend headed towards the chicane. It's obvious he's going to get there first so I didn't see the point to charging in. I picked my way through the chicane painfully slowly, because the cars in front were painfully slow. One thing I noticed with the Atenza was I seemed to be constantly held up at the chicane because everyone I came across was slower. Nice turn in, and it really grips the exit under power. I just could never get a clear run through there.

Had some interesting moments. Two cars going at it suddenly veered off coming out of the esses, one to the left and one to the right. I just sailed down the middle. I cleared through another altercation, driving through a ghost and hoping it stayed ghosted :scared:. And then my fav. A car spun out in front of me, didn't ghost, and by some miracle I managed to swerve in time to miss them :eek:. I've seen so many people t-bone a spun out car they couldn't avoid. It wasn't good driving, it was pure blind luck :lol:.

I guess the highlight of the race was getting passed. I was side by side for a long way with the guy who started 2 positions behind me. Having the track so wide meant it was easy for me to give him space on the outside. He finished 2 positions ahead of me. As for me I finished P11. Could have been higher but I messed up the bus stop once.

Must have been some contact somewhere. No penalties, but I didn't get the full +5 SR I know is up for grabs. Did get another 2 which puts me up to 90. DR loss was about 100. Another day above DR 1 :dopey:.
YES! The main problem IS that it has such great cornering exit, it's difficult to maximise with cars being slower.
Through the uphill esses, I can catch any car by dipping my inner wheel rim on the inside of those curbs, a la Initial D. It just hooks me and keeps me from sliding outward, keeping my speed up.

Definitely doesn't have to all out top speed at the start, but then it's more a momentum car. Awesome thing it is.

I've gone for the Cayman and Mustang to end the week. They're both really good steers, to break away from the awd contingent.

anyone know what the new weekly races will be? I heard somebody say Gr.1 @ La Sarthe and I got moist...

Will there be a meta car next week for the GR1 C race at Lemans? It seems like the Mazda gets used a lot in the GR1 races. I haven't done a ton of GR1 races, so I'm not sure which would be best suited for that track. Is the group balanced enough that we'll be seeing a good mix of cars? I know it's just speculation, at this point.

Thanks bud, I knew that page existed but didn't realize that it displayed next week as well. I guess I should just scroll down next time, lol.

Will there be a meta car next week for the GR1 C race at Lemans? It seems like the Mazda gets used a lot in the GR1 races. I haven't done a ton of GR1 races, so I'm not sure which would be best suited for that track. Is the group balanced enough that we'll be seeing a good mix of cars? I know it's just speculation, at this point.

The last time this was Race C I used the Audi R18 ('16) as it had better fuel economy than the '11 version. It is faster on the straights than many of the other cars that handle as well. It had some spots in the top 10 but so did the Porsche 919 Hybrid and even the weird FF Nissan was up there. The newer Gr.C cars have crazy top speed, like way faster than the normal LMP1 cars, but they handle like crap in general (for me). I think the Peugot Gr.1 was also up there, I think it has good top end as well but sacrifices some handling. I'll probably go with the Audi R18 again, either that or the Porsche. Overall I'd say it was a pretty good mix on the track last time but majority Porshce's and Audi's.

That's pretty much in line with my experience although the Beetle and GTI VGT drank more than the Aston Martin in my case (AT).

As the week progressed times seem to get longer instead of improving. The dirtier people outlasted the faster clean drivers. Yesterday was the slowest and dirtiest day of the week with worst matchmaking. A+/S to D/S rooms during prime time.

Since I was racing in the fast room (over 90 SR) all the time I can sort of calculate the pace for each day. Average winning times:
Monday 19:19.690
Tuesday 19:15.823
Wednesday 19:21.867 (some slower rooms included, briefly visited 80-89 range of SR.S)
Thursday 19:19.264
Friday 19:17.804
Saturday 19:15.542

Actually the pace at the top did improve, however the pace in the back definitely got worse as I kept starting behind more and more D/S drivers. Still yesterday only barely improved on Tuesday thanks to one fast driver having free reign in a number of races.

My race history updated for Bathurst, too long to post :) I did 4 more races with the RCF GT3 after completing driving every car at least twice.
A total of 75 races this week (so far) over the mountain without qualifying.

Total number of positions gained: 700, average 9.3 cars passed per race.
Total SR gained: 470 gained - 59 lost = 411 net gain, average 5.5 SR per race. (out of max 15 per race)

12 out of 75 races had red SR. Worst was Wednesday, -19 for one race getting stuck in the middle of two pinball accidents. Yesterday the quality of racing was by far the worst, though at some point the dirty drivers all knock each other off without posing a threat beyond the first lap.

Next week GR.1 testing on LeMans!

Damn, 75 races at Bathurst in one week is impressive! Great work; I look forward your Le Mans week, although I can kind of guess which cars will be the best but will be interested to see how tyre wear and fuel consumption have changed.

One thing you need to do is get some liveries for your cars!

QUESTION: What does the number you get on your car in the race signify ? It is not the starting position, so what is it ?

I have had a great run at Race B during the week and got my DR up over 25,000 for the first time ever.
So I thought I'll do a few more laps tonight ... well you know what happened. the bumper car drivers were out and I stopped after my DR had dropped 1300 and my SR dropped from S to A.
I'm looking forward to new tracks next week. I basically focus on one track for the week so it gets a bit repetitive ..

QUESTION: What does the number you get on your car in the race signify ? It is not the starting position, so what is it ?

I have had a great run at Race B during the week and got my DR up over 25,000 for the first time ever.
So I thought I'll do a few more laps tonight ... well you know what happened. the bumper car drivers were out and I stopped after my DR had dropped 1300 and my SR dropped from S to A.
I'm looking forward to new tracks next week. I basically focus on one track for the week so it gets a bit repetitive ..
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-to-improve-yours.375507/page-4#post-12433814
Give this a read, it should help you to understand:tup:

Started the weekend at dr 35690 and sr 80 and after racing a fair bit on bathurst made my way up to 42301 and sr 99.

Good fun did some racing from the back before doing some qualifying and getting a couple of wins away. Did my best qualy lap in the gt40 test car but had to turn countersteer assist on for all the MR cars just cant get them from skyline down to conrod straight in anywhere near a competitive time. Ended up with a 2.02.475 good enough for 12th in asia/pacific last night but thats down to 15th now.

Favourite cars for driving were the Jag, AMG GT3 and Lancer. The Lancer feels the best after the update while the biggest improvement ive found was to the Jag.

Looking forward to gr1 on le mans this week usually go pretty well there

I think it was a battle between the Porsche and the Toyota last time. Battle of the hybrids, mostly 919's on the track. It's not very well balanced, hopefully the new tire model will sort it out a bit, yet it might make the older cars even less competitive.

Damn, 75 races at Bathurst in one week is impressive! Great work; I look forward your Le Mans week, although I can kind of guess which cars will be the best but will be interested to see how tyre wear and fuel consumption have changed.

One thing you need to do is get some liveries for your cars!

I tried to convert my profile picture or something similar to whatever GTS accepts, it went horribly wrong. Then I went back to racing.

I'm going for the 90 races this week. I was at 310, got to make it an even 400. 2 to go.

Heres P1 and P2 having a little get together which secured me P2, the replay reveals no reason for this unless somthing happended in an earlier race. Quite the dive bomb indeed.

Then a nice win, although I messed up the bus stop first lap and lost the lead, but a demon move on the last lap got it back. I thought so anyway after loads of races getting shunted off I went for it.

People on their best behaviour last race. The Vette did pretty good. Top 4 cars finished within 2 seconds. Might use this when the next Gr. 4 week comes around.
DlBPFryUwAAX_3O

Heres P1 and P2 having a little get together which secured me P2, the replay reveals no reason for this unless somthing happended in an earlier race. Quite the dive bomb indeed.

Then a nice win, although I messed up the bus stop first lap and lost the lead, but a demon move on the last lap got it back. I thought so anyway after loads of races getting shunted off I went for it.

Dude that wasn't a nice move at all. It only happened because of P2's excellent spatial awareness

It's pretty much you using AT. Shortshifting comes a really long way, and the Corvette not only is more fuel efficient in this method, it's actually faster since that's its ideal powerband

Do try. Manual will be instinctive with time and the advantages it gives is really worth it :)
The irony is strong with this one. I tried the manual gearbox and the race was a complete mess. Consistently missing shifts and losing places as a result. My fuel economy was better but my lack of experience with a manual negated any benefit. Then again my button arrangement was really strange; L1 to up shift and R1 to down shift. However if I allocate the down shift button to L1, I struggle to apply the brakes. I use 2 fingers to grip the controller, and my thumb to operate the steering, leaving me with just two fingers to operate the brake and gearbox. Having R1 to down shift is much easier because I can put two fingers on the brake as opposed to one - and my right thumb is being used to grip the controller. EITHER WAY I struggled and my hands were soo sore from constantly up shifting and down shifting. It may be easier for someone who isn't disabled and doesn't have small hands, but I have both of those things, so back to automatic it is. In addition I lost 7 places and went from an S SR to a B. Can't risk doing that all the time. But at least I tried.

Rather run manual through hot-lapping and use automatic during racing until you get used to it and don't suffer your races...

Genesis gave me good fuel economy and quick enough over the top, to have a lonely race after pit stops.
DlBdTy2UYAAYVZE

Now, can I hustle it around the lake in Italy?

The irony is strong with this one. I tried the manual gearbox and the race was a complete mess. Consistently missing shifts and losing places as a result. My fuel economy was better but my lack of experience with a manual negated any benefit. Then again my button arrangement was really strange; L1 to up shift and R1 to down shift. However if I allocate the down shift button to L1, I struggle to apply the brakes. I use 2 fingers to grip the controller, and my thumb to operate the steering, leaving me with just two fingers to operate the brake and gearbox. Having R1 to down shift is much easier because I can put two fingers on the brake as opposed to one - and my right thumb is being used to grip the controller. EITHER WAY I struggled and my hands were soo sore from constantly up shifting and down shifting. It may be easier for someone who isn't disabled and doesn't have small hands, but I have both of those things, so back to automatic it is. In addition I lost 7 places and went from an S SR to a B. Can't risk doing that all the time. But at least I tried.
Ouch :(
Hmm, maybe not in Sport mode, but try manual except shift up is square and shift down is x. I found it intuitive using them, even though it was my first time in that control scheme having used L1 for shift down and R1 for shift up back in GT5 and GT6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back