"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ThePhantomAli Is nothing personal, I'm just discussing the action, not the individual. You can argue whatever you want, but if someone goes around hard ****ing people from behind (as the SR graphics proofs) nobody will want to race with you. And you have the nerve to say that is the other guy's fault, and... you get offended when someone discusses your post in a public forum :D, which is ironic if you think about it. (you can always use the ignore function of the forum, I understand that you don't want to read negative feedback)
Next time you drive someone off track, don't bring it here (not without a video at least, so I can get the popcorn and I can comment it better:cheers:). Also, don't take it personal, every time I read crap like this I react the same way, no matter who writes it.
PS: consider watching the brake lights and give some space next time, so you don't have to blame others for your own mistakes.

But you aren’t discussing the action, as Sven said it’s bad manner to change line in the braking zone, he actually changed line and put on his brakes before the braking zone but you haven’t acknowledged that whatsoever. Anyway all of this is no use without a video so we’ll leave it here until it gets uploaded.

Have a nice day.

Another crack at chasing the Dragon, this time with the Atenza. After driving the trophy last night , since it's no longer flavour of the month, the Atenza was the only thing I seemed to boogy with. Tried my old favs, the Viper and NSX and just couldn't seem to get comfortable, or anywhere near my trophy times with any consistency. Even gave the M4 a go. I managed to beat my trophy time with the Atenza. I qualified P5/15 in a mixed grid of DR/C and D.

There seemed to be a fair bit of shoving happening after T1. I got rear ended by a Citron, which then proceeded to veer off into the wall and then bounce between the left wall and the track all the way to the hair pin. and down to last place. It was like they had turned damage on for him :odd:. Very messy. Next was not my finest hour. I had more speed at a bit of a snails pace at the hair pin and *thought* at the time there was enough space for an inside pass. I went half on the grass and that wasn't enough. I pushed him slightly wide but we both came out of the corner on the track. When I looked at the replay, there was clearly no way I was going to fit, it was a dick move on my part :banghead:.

He was right on my tail for a while. I'd pull away and get a 3-4s gap through the "4 brothers" and the twin 90s onto the main strait, then that gap would drop to 1s at the hair pin. I was expecting a pass and any moment, when he suddenly disappeared on the final lap. His NSX was a bit unstable through corners after the hair pin and two cars mugged him and spun him out. I crossed P4, barely. I also used this race as practice for the Isle of Man TT:

20180829000837.jpg

SR unchanged despite the contact. Kinda shows the penalty system is flawed still. DR bumped me up to DR/C for another sight seeing tour.

Just reached DR B for the first time.
Was it hard reaching B? was it harder than reaching C? My qualifying times are still good in C but I don't know what is better, to play in peak hour or to race late to find less people. (Peak hour helps in D to reach C if you have a strong qualifiying time)

Was it hard reaching B? was it harder than reaching C? My qualifying times are still good in C but I don't know what is better, to play in peak hour or to race late to find less people. (Peak hour helps in D to reach C if you have a strong qualifiying time)

I wouldn’t say it has been easy. I’ve done a lot of hot lapping and tested different cars. I haven’t got the hang of GR3 yet. I prefer to learn without TCS. Generally I only race if my times are half decent. This was tricky when races were daily.

I practiced DTG on Sunday so I could hit the ground running on Monday. Knocked a second off my qually time this morning, then did three races. I’m a 1:39.0 at DTG.

Playing GTS has been my priority since Friday. Took time off work.

I accidentally punted someone off at the DTG hairpin, not liking the Vettes brakes compared to the Stang, first time out. So I slow down a touch to allow the Megane back through before the 4 brothers and they pull along side then try to take me out, and end themselves in the process, it was as effective as a kid tapping me on the shoulder. Megane Vs Muscle, what did they expect, and the position was theirs for the taking. Oh well.

Did some test laps to pick a car for Race C @ Suzuka. At 2:03 in the Hyundai, I'm over a second quicker than I am in the Porsche or Ferrari :dopey:

20180829000906.jpg

Really liking the Beat at Yamagiwa, you can slide this thing for days in the high speed corners. You can really feel the difference in the tire model. So happy I just put up a top 10 time of 2:10.8!
Any tips? Can't get under 2.14. I've watched the alien replays but just can't get the two high speed corners right. It's like they're constantly sliding! What BB do you run?

I’m honestly really curious to know the rationale behind this line of thinking.

Shared corners are probably the single most common cause of people being punted. They go into a corner overlapped with a car on the inside and then think that because they have a half car lead that they can just smash in on the apex. If you do that, while hitting your rear flank against their front bumper, you'll punt yourself.

Going two wide on the inside with an aggressive driver, I'll literally stagger my car back just in case they try to close the door on me. They'll usually punt themselves off of the course trying that nonsense. Shared apex rights are probably the biggest misunderstood aspect of this game.

is it possible that you talk us a bit about your rig? Looks awesome (the mechanics talking in the green screen are slightly distracting, lol)

I'm having fun with my green screen setup, too many ideas.

Okay, my rig is actuall a static direct drive system, build mainly for iRacing VR using Oculus RIFT CV1.
The steering system powered by direct drive system build by SimRacingBay.com and connected to PS4 via GIMX emulator,
alongside with my MANU Factory Porsche CUP replica sequential system and Fanatec V3 Loadcell pedal with 90 kg damper addon.
Seat is fixed size for my 181cm / 95kg body :D

TV is 49 inch 4K HDR from sony X7000E and PS4 is pro version, streamed in 1080p 60 fps

I'm finding on Yamagiwa anything under 2:20 requires some risk trying to stay in a higher gear. Which is not too hard on an empty tack. But hard to do from behind traffic.

Had one race last night from the back. Good clean race but only the front cars were able to keep full speed in Lap 1. In the back there was more caution. By the end of lap 1 there was about a 10 second gap from the front pack and the rest. Nothing dirty or unfair. Just the difference in space to go full out and keep the flow.

It definitely worth it to qualify as high as possible. Also in my opinion worth it to prioritize keeping speed instead of passing.

I’m honestly really curious to know the rationale behind this line of thinking.
Braking zones are what comes to mind first. When you're going 150 mph, within 1 or 2 car lengths of another car and they brake even 100 meters before the normal braking point, as the trailing car there's not enough time to react when those brake lights come on unexpectedly. It happens all the time without malice. It can also happen on corner exit when you're right behind someone who gets loose. Sometimes it's unavoidable.

Last edited:
Any tips? Can't get under 2.14. I've watched the alien replays but just can't get the two high speed corners right. It's like they're constantly sliding! What BB do you run?

I'm just using default BB. You have to minimize sliding and be super smooth in all corners. Carrying max speed out of T1 is crucial to maintaining a good pace up the hill. I find the 2nd high speed sweeper is easier to master. Tap the brake on entry and hug the curb. The chicane at the bottom of the high is critical to carrying speed up the hill afterward. I find the second to last corner the trickiest, I have spun the most times there, you can get through here very quick and make up big time. If you're not using a wheel I think it will be quite difficult to go fast. This car requires lots of countersteering.

Took my Vette to Suzuka and came home with a trophy. It's kinda fitting that I earned it here as this is one of my favorite tracks next to DT Seaside. I feel they share a lot of the same characteristics and have a nice flow to them. I'll probably spend most of my time racing here this week. Might try DT Gardens because I haven't really learned that track yet. But I think I'm gonna take a pass on Yamagiwa. I just can't come to grips with that Beat. Paul Simon comes to mind, "Slip Sliding Away". :D I barely broke 2:17 and just don't have the patience to improve. And I can only imagine what would happen in a race with the way some people drive.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180828055639.jpg

I'm now down to a 2:12.737 at Yamagiwa, and it would probably be under 2:12 if/when I get a complete lap together. I can't seem to get the braking point for the hairpin after the chicane, I always go too tight and lose speed on the exit (based on the times when I'm following someone into it and they pull away from me on the exit).

Oh, and see people weaving to stop people passing them or getting a slipstream? On the first lap of this race? Get a grip.

Shared corners are probably the single most common cause of people being punted. They go into a corner overlapped with a car on the inside and then think that because they have a half car lead that they can just smash in on the apex. If you do that, while hitting your rear flank against their front bumper, you'll punt yourself.

Going two wide on the inside with an aggressive driver, I'll literally stagger my car back just in case they try to close the door on me. They'll usually punt themselves off of the course trying that nonsense. Shared apex rights are probably the biggest misunderstood aspect of this game.

That makes sense. I guess I just wouldn’t consider that being “punted off” rather than it being a racing incident since it’s due to racing hard most of the time. When I think of being punted off, I think of it involving pure carelessness and disregard for other people’s race.

Braking zones are what comes to mind first. When you're going 150 mph, within 1 or 2 car lengths of another car and they brake even 100 meters before the normal braking point, as the trailing car there's not enough time to react when those brake lights come on unexpectedly. It happens all the time without malice. It can also happen on corner exit when you're right behind someone who gets loose. Sometimes it's unavoidable.

That’s still the fault of the car behind though, it’s their responsibility to not hit the car in front. Yes, there are unavoidable situations, but hitting a car from behind isn’t one of them and shouldn’t happen if you’re prepared for any possibility.

Have to say the weekly races for race c are growing on me, A and B I would prefer to see rotate once or twice a week maybe every 2-3 days. You get a chance to try a lot of different cars and find out what you like.

Ive noticed so far at Suzuka I really dislike almost every MR car I have and the FR cars seem to favour the way I drive but one or two dont quite have enough bit on turn in like the Mustang just wants to understeer even with trail braking and a rear bb. The sls is even worse for it.

Still have the Viper, Beetle and 911 as my picks so far and am about halfway through testing from the back.

Maintained Sr99 but dipped about 3k on Dr from about 41k to 38k noticed my door number getting higher as I raced last night. Should improve once I decide to do some hot lapping hopefully back over 40k on the weekend.

Had a go at Suzuka last night, but didn't feel like banging anything out. Out with the fat Porsche (aka the love bug) and qualified P12/18 on a mixed grid of everything but DR/E. Too many Ds for anything but a top half finish to be in for some points. Mixed SRs too.

The race was pandemonium. A lot of people coming off, and my race was atrocious. Too many Hail Mary down shifts trying to keep it on the track. I bounced up and down the order whilst somehow staying on the track so many times I was getting sea sick :crazy:. Bumped a few times, but still on the tarmac, till the final lap. The guy behind me rear ended me in the hair pin, then braking for spoon, which gave me too much speed and put me in the tarmac between the astro turf and the sand, where he hit me again, and a third time finale putting me into the sand :rolleyes:. He would have gotten an additional penalty for that effort, all for 1 place. P11. The really sad thing is, the penalty system is only effective *if* they finish the race. The race timed out as we reached the final chicane, so he had a red dot, but no time penalty recorded. They say karma is a bitch, but really? I didn't knock anyone off at DTG :banghead:.

SR maintained, DR dropped, not sure by how much. Day 0 visiting DR/C :dopey:.

Just had a wonderful clean race in the Beat. As a C driver in a pack of 6 A drivers, 2 C and 4 D coming 7th is expected but swapping places all race with 2 fellow brits and making no contact in the process gives me faith that the dailys are now cleaner while the FIA seems to be dirtier. Used to be the other way round! Better this way I guess.

Alright! First ever sport mode on Gardens! Practiced some this morning and jumped on the game after work. Four minutes to start! Entered up and turned in a 41 qual. Not my best but on with it.
Start tenth b s. Nice clean early going just maintaining position behind a Ferrari and vette. Some awd on my tail but I’m not lookin back (much)
Anyhow coming out of the sweepers before the 4 brothers mr Italia had a moment. Zippydeedoo by him.
Nailed the four brothers perfect and blew past the Vette on exit. He had contact in my backside in the hard brake zone before the start finish straight and got my inside. Think it was honest mistake but should have been a penalty imo. No worries I can do this. I’m in 8th chasing him And he bobbles before the 4 bros but not enough to get by clean. Now he goes slow through and I am stuck and another car is on my radar uh oh. Start finish straight he gets a bit of pull and overlap and I’ve never seen this guy before I give him room to squeeze by on the first turn then hop on his tail looking for the exit in the right left. BOINK
On two wheels. Yikes lost my exit. Spend rest of lap catching and then again last lap BOINK. GOSH DARNIT!
Anyhow clean race picked up a spot but could have been better if I hadn’t got stuck behind the vette.
I’ve had such a hard time with this track compared to Seaside but I found I find I enjoy racing online on it. Been a lot of laps to learn to do better. Love that McLaren here and never used it much before.
Broke the ice.
I don’t always race, but when I do I race clean. Stay thirsty my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back