"Daily" Race Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter LordDrift
  • 79,453 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
This week's races aren't really grabbing my attention, to be honest.

Race A I know I can be quick and I've been up the top end of the grid every time I go in, but they've all been pretty dull races and the car is so slow that 7 laps of tsukuba feels like a reaaaally long race. Plus people are too impatient not to battle at every corner so the field gets incredibly spread out and the leader is usually just gone.

Brand's Hatch well, I've declared my love for this circuit many times, but I'm really sick of seeing that damn Mégane trophy and the stupid thing is it seems whatever car I pick I have some advantage or other over the Meganes. I wish people would think for themselves over car choice as tbh as OP as the Mégane is you're not gonna get that advantage if you aren't a top tier driver. Gr. 4 and 3 is way more fun in diverse grids where the cars show their different character - that's the whole bloody point of GT racing irl!

Not just that but while I love the circuit, I have no interest racing around it with the crowd in C and B rank. I am mainly passing people who have spun themselves out, and any race can be ruined at paddock hill by that one dude who just thinks he is "the guy".

Race C well, I like the car, but I really haven't enjoyed the few TTs I've done so far, matter of opinion I know but most of the track feels like a chore rather than fun, and again, I doubt the C and B crowd are capable of racing this kind of car.

Also I've picked up serious man flu.

If I'm gonna do anything again, I dunno, probably race B? But the thought of another 14 Mégane grid just turns my stomach. I guess I'll wait for another opportunity to drive the gr. 3 NSX.

Brand's Hatch well, I've declared my love for this circuit many times, but I'm really sick of seeing that damn Mégane trophy and the stupid thing is it seems whatever car I pick I have some advantage or other over the Meganes. I wish people would think for themselves over car choice as tbh as OP as the Mégane is you're not gonna get that advantage if you aren't a top tier driver. Gr. 4 and 3 is way more fun in diverse grids where the cars show their different character - that's the whole bloody point of GT racing irl!

Not just that but while I love the circuit, I have no interest racing around it with the crowd in C and B rank. I am mainly passing people who have spun themselves out, and any race can be ruined at paddock hill by that one dude who just thinks he is "the guy".

Race C well, I like the car, but I really haven't enjoyed the few TTs I've done so far, matter of opinion I know but most of the track feels like a chore rather than fun, and again, I doubt the C and B crowd are capable of racing this kind of car.

If I'm gonna do anything again, I dunno, probably race B? But the thought of another 14 Mégane grid just turns my stomach. I guess I'll wait for another opportunity to drive the gr. 3 NSX.

Agree that they need to do something with the BOP. Boring seeing a grid with 80% the same car.

Disagree that you have to be some kind of demi-god to gain an advantage using the Megan. I am an average skilled driver at DR.B, and I can lap Brands MUCH faster in that car than any of the other group 4 cars. Maybe I could go as quick in something else given enough practice time, but the braking and turn in points are so different in most other Gr 4 cars, that it is like learning a different circuit entirely and I only have a couple of hours free time for GT Sport most weeks.

I also love the track, but it's similar to Suzuka in that almost every place gained is from another persons mistake. I did two clean passes the other day and won the race. Since then it has been an absolute crash fest full of terrible dirty driving and multiple crashes. And that is at SR.S.

I absolutely HATE this game some days! Dirty C race.. Finished last. First B race... Dirty... Finished last. Second B race that I made an error on and spun out in the grass and I rage quit. 🤬 it! DR down almost 3,000. SR down from 99 to 82. Whatever. Done with this BS for the week! :mad::mad::mad:

Seriously sick of idiots in Meganes. So over it! Here's where I start kicking around the idea (again) about switching to iRacing. People there actually want to race clean.

I jumped back in to the B race last night after an absolutely dismal Monday night as described above...

Much better racing last night. I had time to get some good qually laps in with a variety of cars (none of which were the Megane) and do 3 races. Also did qually laps once I was in waiting for the clock to count down on each of the 3 races. Turned a fair amount of laps around Brands last night. Got a good rhythm going.

Qually'd decent enough in the NSX to start 6th in the first race. I started the night at SR82. After Monday night's crazyness, I was at 82, the lowest I've been since I started playing GT6. There was a mix of A, B and D drivers in the race. Finished the race 4th with a CRB. SR up to 88.

NSX is good! Enough power to slowly pull away from Meganes. That's actually something I heavily considered when trying out cars for this race; can it pull away from Meganes and does it have bad understeer? NSX has minimal understeer and enough power to get away from those dumb Renaults!

Second race in the Viper! Understeer is manageable. The power is fantastic!!! Started this race 8th. This race was all B/S drivers. I was taking it easy through corners because I didn't want to overdrive the car and then have the understeer catch me out so there were a few times that Meganes caught me going in, thru or out of a corner, they'd get up to my door and then I'd just smoke em once I got on the gas! :D That was my funnest race last night! Finished 5th with a CRB!

Third race in the Ferrari. Similar handling to the NSX but with more power. Started this race 8th. All B/S drivers again. Made it up to 4th by the end of lap one and then I made an error going into turn one. I got on the brakes and put some steering into it and got loose... wiggled my car across the track and into the kitty litter. Thankfully I didn't spin. The nose stayed pointing in the right direction. Came out of the kitty litter in 10th and then it was on! Had to gain spots back! There were some drivers that had a a little bit of argy bargy in front of me... They took each other out on short straight after turn 3. I'm up to 8th now. Next lap, the guy I started behind who was also driving a Ferrari, was ghosted and rolling backward, perpendicular to the track coming out of the last turn. Now I'm up to 7th going into the last lap. I get to turn 4 and there's a Megane going off into the barriers all on his own. He might've gotten on the grass trying to make that tight left as wide as he could. I'm now up to 6th. I was hard charging. I could see 5th place going down the straight under the bridge and he's got a 2 second penalty coming up. I get around turns 5,6,7 and 8 as fast as I have all night! He ghosts for his penalty right as I'm coming around turn 9. I get up to him on his left just as he stops being a ghost and we go into the last turn door to door. This guy is in an Evo. I've never driven that car so I don't know what it's power and handling is like so I had no gauge on what he could do on the inside of that turn or down the straight. I romped on it and pulled away pretty easily though. Finished 5th with a CRB!

SR back up to 99. DR up 1,203 points from Monday night's loss of about 3,000 points. I'm happy with it!

Everyone was pretty much minding their own business and trying to run clean races last night. I saw no real stupidity from any drivers last night in any of the races I ran. No rammers or dive bombers that I could see. That was refreshing! A rare thing for sure!

Exactly! I don't get it with the Megane. Handles very nice around corners but just a turd on straights. GR3 and GR4 races are so much more fun and interesting with a variety of cars. The 3 B races I ran last night, all had 16 drivers and in all the races, I counted no less than 11 Meganes. It's silly!

I prefer one makes, where the only difference in the end is the driver, not what car they chose. I just don’t understand why people care what others drive? Hell, I don’t even see my own car during a race, I don’t even care what car I drive as long as it works for that track. :lol:

Last edited:
I prefer one makes, where the only difference in the end is the driver, not what car they chose. I just don’t understand why people care what others drive? Hell, I don’t even see my own car during a race, I don’t even care what car I drive as long as it works for that track. :lol:
Well, you're not wrong...

I get the appeal of one make. But we have plenty of one make races available, at least one a week. We are also SUPPOSED to have these balanced groups of race cars which should allow for diverse grids.

I'm talking that classic British Saloon Car dynamic - you take the Ford Galaxie and smash up the straights with V8 power, and I'll take the Mini and beat you in the twisty bits, but on paper we're balanced.

I'm not interested in proving I'm faster than you in the same car in a Gr. 4 race - I can go to either of the others this week to do that. Race B should be the option for a proper racing grid, and it wouldn't take much to sort out.

It's a criminal shame that the Mégane, 4C, Huracan, GT-R and the like have been allowed to dominate for so long and there are a stack of cars in gr. 4 that have never had a chance to be remotely competitive.

I really enjoy Race C. I don't know how people can run 44's and even 43s in the race. I do NOT have that kind of confidence. lol

using -5 BB in the qualy and the race.

I've zero race pace, also. No grip whatsoever in the races, I've no idea what the car is doing at any given time, though terminal understeer is the theme.

Sub 1:43s in qually. Mid 1:45-46s in race.

So if a driver is the only A+ in a race, is he just guaranteed to lose DR, no matter what happens?
You'd think the game should let him gain at least a little bit, as long as he wins.

I’ve gotten as little 50 points for a win before but have never lost any, it could have been a partial DR reset as well during the race that caused it.

Well, you're not wrong...

I get the appeal of one make. But we have plenty of one make races available, at least one a week. We are also SUPPOSED to have these balanced groups of race cars which should allow for diverse grids.

I'm talking that classic British Saloon Car dynamic - you take the Ford Galaxie and smash up the straights with V8 power, and I'll take the Mini and beat you in the twisty bits, but on paper we're balanced.

I'm not interested in proving I'm faster than you in the same car in a Gr. 4 race - I can go to either of the others this week to do that. Race B should be the option for a proper racing grid, and it wouldn't take much to sort out.

It's a criminal shame that the Mégane, 4C, Huracan, GT-R and the like have been allowed to dominate for so long and there are a stack of cars in gr. 4 that have never had a chance to be remotely competitive.

Theoretical question, if the BoP was actually well balanced like it should be, wouldn’t it still technically just be a “one make” with cars that don’t look the exact same? :)

I’ve gotten as little 50 points for a win before but have never lost any, it could have been a partial DR reset as well during the race that caused it.

Theoretical question, if the BoP was actually well balanced like it should be, wouldn’t it still technically just be a “one make” with cars that don’t look the exact same? :)
Well yeah, if you made them all the same, but I still think it's more than possible to balance the cars and still let them have some individual character.

Gr. 4 has all the drivetrains so that marks them out individually as it is, and you can still have cars skewed towards straight line performance or handling without having such extreme outliers as the Mégane.

Gr. 3 is a lot closer to the mark - many of the cars are pretty damn similar with just a couple of outliers, chiefly the F1GTR (which is nerfed by its own brakes) and the R8 (which is nerfed by tire wear).

PD has made the balance too wide and that makes it very track specific. With the cars closer together, we might see more power cars at Brand's, or more handling cars at Tokyo. Right now a lot of the playerbase can just look at the track, maybe look at top 10, and pick one car to drive for the entire week, which is well within their rights but very dull.

There's also the "follow the YouTubers" mentality, but that's a wider thing with gaming in general, and I'm not about to blame anyone, but it's never been my style to Google "fastest car for X race" and just use that, much as it never was to Google "best gun for medic class" or anything else like that. I like to be good on my own merits, but that's just me.

Well yeah, if you made them all the same, but I still think it's more than possible to balance the cars and still let them have some individual character.

Gr. 4 has all the drivetrains so that marks them out individually as it is, and you can still have cars skewed towards straight line performance or handling without having such extreme outliers as the Mégane.

Gr. 3 is a lot closer to the mark - many of the cars are pretty damn similar with just a couple of outliers, chiefly the F1GTR (which is nerfed by its own brakes) and the R8 (which is nerfed by tire wear).

PD has made the balance too wide and that makes it very track specific. With the cars closer together, we might see more power cars at Brand's, or more handling cars at Tokyo. Right now a lot of the playerbase can just look at the track, maybe look at top 10, and pick one car to drive for the entire week, which is well within their rights but very dull.

There's also the "follow the YouTubers" mentality, but that's a wider thing with gaming in general, and I'm not about to blame anyone, but it's never been my style to Google "fastest car for X race" and just use that, much as it never was to Google "best gun for medic class" or anything else like that. I like to be good on my own merits, but that's just me.

That makes sense. I guess I just assumed that it was the cars individual traits(drivetrain and power plant) that was putting things so out of whack in the first place. :)

Race A I know I can be quick and I've been up the top end of the grid every time I go in, but they've all been pretty dull races and the car is so slow that 7 laps of tsukuba feels like a reaaaally long race. Plus people are too impatient not to battle at every corner so the field gets incredibly spread out and the leader is usually just gone.

You are right about the perceived advantage. I think that more people run off in the Mégane Trophy than in any other gr 4 car, it's fast but so many people have troubles keeping it on the tarmac. I run all B/S and can easily keep up in my Mustang as long as no one PIT-manouver me.

can it pull away from Meganes and does it have bad understeer
The Mustang can, the Jag can, the BMW can.

Looking forward to next week's GR.2 & GR.3 races.

Suzuka will probably be NSX dominated, but I love driving the Lexus in cockpit view. However, I'll use all six GT500, to see the differences.

Will be fun trying different cars at Big Willow as well.

The 3 B races I ran last night, all had 16 drivers and in all the races, I counted no less than 11 Meganes. It's silly!

It's the same scenario at Gr.4 Bathurst, the Megane (not Trophy) outclasses everything. When a car is so dominant that it devalues using almost every other, I think a nerf is in order.

On the other hand, I find it rewarding to beat followers of the top 10 meta car in my off-meta choice.

Looking forward to next week's GR.2 & GR.3 races.

Suzuka will probably be NSX dominated, but I love driving the Lexus in cockpit view. However, I'll use all six GT500, to see the differences.

Do we know next week's races already?

I really enjoy Race C. I don't know how people can run 44's and even 43s in the race. I do NOT have that kind of confidence. lol

using -5 BB in the qualy and the race.
I also have 0 confidence in the race. It's actually pretty fun to thrash it around in qualifying, but in the race, after the first lap it just gets constant oversteer under braking. I lose quite a bit of time through turns 1 and 2 because I can't throw the car into the corners without the back end stepping out, while I have no issues in qualifying.

Variety is the spice of life. If everybody looked the same, we'd get tired of looking at each other :P.

It's the same scenario at Gr.4 Bathurst, the Megane (not Trophy) outclasses everything. When a car is so dominant that it devalues using almost every other, I think a nerf is in order.

On the other hand, I find it rewarding to beat followers of the top 10 meta car in my off-meta choice.

Yes, beating a full pack of meganes is a fun job to do

I also have 0 confidence in the race. It's actually pretty fun to thrash it around in qualifying, but in the race, after the first lap it just gets constant oversteer under braking. I lose quite a bit of time through turns 1 and 2 because I can't throw the car into the corners without the back end stepping out, while I have no issues in qualifying.

When it starts to oversteer - help it a bit with the throttle. Also, when in dirty air - brake a bit earlier and get a slower entry with a slightly tighter line an then floor it a bit earlier. I only did some races on Monday, as during FIA I tend to race dailies only if it is a good combo for gaining DR. And it would be a very good combo, and fun - if only we would make it past Turn 1 untouched...

Agreed. I got lucky a couple of weeks ago winning 2 races at Brands. Still can't get over the one driver disconnecting on the final straight. :eek:

The Mustang can, the Jag can, the BMW can.

The Viper can as well. The main difference in all of those cars is the handling Comfort that a driver has with each. When I first started, the Mustang was king for me. As time had gone by, my skill & changes by PD have brought the Viper up, surpassing the Mustang as one of my favorites.

giphy.gif

I got confused Monday morning. I thought this was Big Willow week. Glad to see that I haven't missed all of the fun. I'm used to seeing Gr. 4 races at Willow. But I'm really excited to see Gr. 3 cars out there. Might be time to dust off my Ford GT. :mischievous:

That was kinda my experience in the RB Jr. The oversteer was consistant from qually to race for me but it was there and that's not my favorite. No matter what I did with brake balance, I had the constant oversteer. It was manageable but oversteer on braking that made me have to kinda gather up the car on corner exit. Either approach it that way or tip toe thru corners and lose even more time.

That was kinda my experience in the RB Jr. The oversteer was consistant from qually to race for me but it was there and that's not my favorite. No matter what I did with brake balance, I had the constant oversteer. It was manageable but oversteer on braking that made me have to kinda gather up the car on corner exit. Either approach it that way or tip toe thru corners and lose even more time.

Interesting, as I've got the opposite for the most part. Assuming you're using DS4? I think oversteer literally translates to too much steering input in this case. May be worth looking at the steering sensitivity or just backing the steering off just a touch. And don't downshift early, that really pisses it off.

Interesting, as I've got the opposite for the most part. Assuming you're using DS4? I think oversteer literally translates to too much steering input in this case. May be worth looking at the steering sensitivity or just backing the steering off just a touch. And don't downshift early, that really pisses it off.

Jr seems to handle very much like the kart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back