Daily, weekly and monthly rivals

Today is a Pace Setter at Zolder in the Zakspeed Ford Capri Group 5. Zolder's a fun track that I haven't run all that often, with an interesting variety of corners. Straightening out the chicanes a bit can knock a fair bit off your lap time, but being a Pace Setter, you have to be really careful not to exceed the track limits, and those steep curbs on the first chicane can really bite you as well if you get it slightly wrong. The Capri is a very tail-happy car, especially when you hit that torque peak in each gear; takes some careful driving and some countersteering to keep it under control in the faster corners. Quite a bit of fun once you get the hang of it, though.

The Capri is a very tail-happy car, especially when you hit that torque peak in each gear; takes some careful driving and some countersteering to keep it under control in the faster corners. Quite a bit of fun once you get the hang of it, though.

You've described it well. I really enjoyed driving it, for the 10,000 rpm redline and the satisfaction of taming it. Going up and over that crest after the chicane if you don't slightly lift the car gets light and full wot it will get sideways... My type of sports car handling. Fun to drive.

Today is a Hot Lap at Fuji in the Nissan 300ZX Turbo IMSA. I do like this car; nice solid FR racing car which provides just enough fairly predictable oversteer to get around the corners well. I will confess that I'm not a fan of Tilke's Fuji, though.

Today is a Pace Setter at Brands Hatch Indy in a Caterham Seven 620 R...in the rain. This is not an easy car to drive in the wet, for sure; it's not exactly grippy in the best conditions as it is. Paddock Hill is very tough in the rain; you have to slow down a lot more than you might think and take a very late apex so you can get it pointed straight at Druids and get the power down ASAP. If you try to take a shallow entry, you'll just get dumped right off into the gravel as soon as you give it any gas. The Surtees and McLaren complex is also really tricky, because if you carry too much speed into Surtees, you'll end up in the huge puddles on the inside of McLaren and then you're done. You have to slow down a lot more than you would ordinarily for that complex, and keep to the dead centre of the track all the way through. The puddle on the inside of Clark isn't too hard to avoid in this layout, though; just take a wider line through Clearways (which you'll likely be doing involuntarily anyway since you'll be skating sideways through the corner) and you'll miss it easily enough.

Today is a Hot Lap at Rouen Les Essarts Historic in a Porsche 917/10 Can-Am. I found this car strangely difficult to get a handle on; it's reasonably planted, especially through the high speed corners with all that downforce (though it can get a bit slippery due to wheelspin in the lower gears), but the steering feels very slow and dead for some reason. The rear is also significantly wider than the front, and if you touch the edge of the track at any point with the rear tyres here, you'll instantly go flying off the course, so combined with the oddly unresponsive steering, it can be difficult to drive it on the edge.

Today is a Hot Lap at the International short version of Not-Suzuka in a Ferrari 488 Challenge. Good solid car, as is typical for a Ferrari Challenge car; easy to drive on the edge, but still a lot of fun. The blind corner complex after Not-Spoon Curve is somewhat less terrifying in this car than in the previous Rivals event here, but it still takes quite a bit of courage to get through there fast and clean. Getting through the tight final sector with the various cut-throughs smoothly is also key to a fast time; it's easy to get one of those very bumpy and sharp corners a bit wrong, especially in the dark.

This has probably been posted before but why haven't SMS fixed the bugs in Rivals? By looking over the past months they've been there since release!

Oh well, managed to platinum every event in my first and only full months competition but as it's pointless because of the bugs I'll only be competing in events that I'm really interested in going forward.

Impossible points scores :banghead:
Project CARS 3_20210402055041.jpg

17/36 events? Really? :banghead:
Project CARS 3_20210402053210.jpg

And this is why I dislike SMS! All of the PCars games to date have had such great potential and they've brought some outstanding gameplay features (LiveTrack for example) to console but they fail to fix some of the stupid niggly little bugs that are there from release! That pisses me off no end!

And no SMS.... every car isn't a McLaren :rolleyes:

New events for the new month today.

Daily is a Hot Lap of the short Havana Malecon Loop in a Ferrari Enzo. I found it difficult to get this car around those last couple of corners; it goes from oversteer to massive understeer really quickly, and it's hard to find the right line through there.

Weekly is a Pace Setter at Bathurst in the Ford Falcon V8 Supercar. Definitely not an easy task to manage three clean fast laps of this difficult track in a beefy Supercar, but it is a fun one. Just don't push too hard coming down the mountain, as it only takes one tiny mistake to ruin your run.

Monthly is a Hot Lap at the classic Hockenheimring GP layout in a Formula B. Gotta nail that first corner just right to get a good lap, and you can also pick up a huge chunk of time by absolutely sending it through the second chicane. Not sure yet if it's possible to actually do it without lifting (I don't think you can make the following curve without slowing a bit), but it's not far off. Just don't hit the curbs (there or anywhere else); they're mostly very tall and they will really unsettle what's otherwise a very grippy little formula car. Watch out for turn 13 as well (the second turn in the arena section); it's much tighter than it looks, and I blew more than one good lap by going into there just a little too hot, missing the apex, and understeering straight off the track.

Today is a Hot Lap in the rain at Oschersleben B in a '66 Mustang. Fun car to powerslide through all those long corners in the wet. The puddles really don't bother it too much, though they can be a bit slippery in the turns. You can use a garage car, but only if it has no upgrades, so strip yours back to stock parts if you want to show off your sweet custom livery.

Today is a Hot Lap in the rain at Oschersleben B in a '66 Mustang. Fun car to powerslide through all those long corners in the wet. The puddles really don't bother it too much, though they can be a bit slippery in the turns. You can use a garage car, but only if it has no upgrades, so strip yours back to stock parts if you want to show off your sweet custom livery.

Found this very surprising. The car just blows through puddles. Pretty cool.

Today is a Pace Setter at Long Beach in the Ligier P2 car. It does like to understeer through those tight corners, so getting it to rotate better by breaking the rears loose a bit with the throttle can help you get around the track a bit quicker. Just don't overdo it or you'll slap the wall with the tail or won't be able to get the power down on exit. Brake nice and early as well; if you go in a little too hot you'll miss the apex and you'll have to almost stop the car to get it around the corner (and that's if you don't just plow straight into the wall).

Today is a Pace Setter at Long Beach in the Ligier P2 car. It does like to understeer through those tight corners, so getting it to rotate better by breaking the rears loose a bit with the throttle can help you get around the track a bit quicker. Just don't overdo it or you'll slap the wall with the tail or won't be able to get the power down on exit. Brake nice and early as well; if you go in a little too hot you'll miss the apex and you'll have to almost stop the car to get it around the corner (and that's if you don't just plow straight into the wall).

My best is 1:12.076
One of my runs here

Today is a Hot Lap around Zolder in a Radical RXC Turbo. Fun little "road car", but much tamer than the Ford Capri from the last event here. Being a Hot Lap, once you've gotten a solid enough run in you can try straightening out those chicanes to knock a fair bit of time off your lap.

Today is a Hot Lap at Shanghai Wusong Chase in an Aston Martin DB11. Takes some aggressive driving to get this nose-heavy car to rotate through the corners quickly; brake relatively early, aim for the apex, then slam the throttle down and get the rear tyres sliding a bit to counter the understeer. If you try to roll gently through the centre of the corners then you'll just run wide on exit and have to slow down. Note that it's a bit harder to break the rears loose on the waterfront pavement; it's not so bad on the wide sweeping curve at the entrance, as you have a fair bit of room to deal with the understeer, but be aware of that on the sharp hairpin at the exit. The tunnel chicane is also tricky in this car, as it doesn't change directions quickly; takes some practice to get it just right through there.

It's Corvette Day today, apparently! Today's Daily event is a Hot Lap at Donington Park GP in a 2020 Stingray. This mid-engined 'Vette is a fun sports car to throw around; nicely balanced, but still exciting to drive. It handles the corners at Donington much better than you might expect, so don't slow down too much for 'em.

The new Weekly event is a Hot Lap at the Daytona road course in the GT version of the Stingray, the C8.R. A speedy GT car, nicely balanced like the street version. It can sometimes get a bit tail-happy driving out of the slower corners, but is otherwise pretty easy to handle, and it doesn't mind grabbing plenty of curb through the backstretch chicane, so you can go through there pretty fast; just brake a bit early to hit the best line through it.

Today is a Pace Setter at Mugello in a Ferrari FXX K. I've always found this car difficult to get a handle on; it always feels like you're having to actively fight the significant and often rather unpredictable understeer through every corner. Mugello's a nice flowing track that does let you settle into a rhythm, but it still feels like a three-lap wrestling match trying to get this car to turn.

I was enjoying my laps in Ferrari on Mugelo, perfecting the time... until game told me that I have only one try! I was so mad :banghead:. Now the event is blocked for me. Next time I'll pay more attention to this:lol:

Last edited:
Today is a Pace Setter at Mugello in a Ferrari FXX K. I've always found this car difficult to get a handle on; it always feels like you're having to actively fight the significant and often rather unpredictable understeer through every corner. Mugello's a nice flowing track that does let you settle into a rhythm, but it still feels like a three-lap wrestling match trying to get this car to turn.

It takes a lot of concentration to push the FXXK on the edge for three laps. It tests your skills to drive it well on Mugello because there are corners where you want to keep the car planted with understeer and then some you want to rotate it. It was satisfying to drive on the limits. The three hairpins turns 1, 12, and 15 the car enters with understeer. The beginning of the downhill and fast sweepers Turns 6,7,8 you can do some aggressive weight transfers to move the grip to the front tires and get the car to rotate so you can get on the gas earlier.

My pace setter time was a 1:41.820

It takes a lot of concentration to push the FXXK on the edge for three laps. It tests your skills to drive it well on Mugello because there are corners where you want to keep the car planted with understeer and then some you want to rotate it. It was satisfying to drive on the limits. The three hairpins turns 1, 12, and 15 the car enters with understeer. The beginning of the downhill and fast sweepers Turns 6,7,8 you can do some aggressive weight transfers to move the grip to the front tires and get the car to rotate so you can get on the gas earlier.

My pace setter time was a 1:41.820

Almost had yi. Only 63 hundredths away. :cheers:

Back