Dakar 18 (PS4, XOne, PC) - Release date September 25 2018

• Thread starter er185es
  • 587 comments
I see a MAZ at 0:10. :drool:
1450961814_0_567beb96ec990.jpg

Brands confirmed:
· Bikes = KTM, Husqvarna, Honda and Yamaha.
· Quads = Yamaha Raptor (no AWD quads).
· Cars = Peugeot, Mini (4x4 and RWD), Toyota, Renault/Dacia and Mitsubishi.
· UTVs = Polaris (no Yamaha or Can-Am).
· Trucks = KAMAZ, Renault, Tatra, Maz and MAN (no IVECO because they did not allow the devs in time and all trucks except for the Renault have short noses).

This still looks terrible. The vehicles look and move like RC toys. I commented about this when they announced it earlier this year, the devs have a terrible track record so set your expectations loooooooooooooow.

My concern with this is that they might be looking to make it a bit too authentic - it's hard to tell from all the very short teasers, but I haven't seen any gameplay yet that looks terribly interesting..............lots of driving in straight lines in wide open areas, mainly!

Having said that the devs get praise from me for simply having a crack at it - an open-world Dakar game hasn't been done before, and I love it when devs have a go at novel ideas with the potential to take games in new directions. Particularly with racing games, where so many aspects of the genre are the same game after game after game. Now this forum has taught me that there are lots of people who seem to be perfectly happy with that, but personally I dislike how dismissive some can be of first attempts at ambitious projects (Dirt 4's procedural stage generator is a good off-road example of that IMO). I very much hope the devs will be able to find some success with this game.

JOE DONALDSON is WRONG in many things:

· The suspension was not increased 12 inches, it was the car's length, with most going to the wheelbase. This was done to increase stability and make room for a much bigger fuel tank (almost triple the size) and the ever-important spare parts.
· The suspension was only increased by 3 inches. In some videos you can see how the car shakes when going over the bumps. It had even less suspension than the modern-age FIA T1 4x4 cars and those are limited to 10 or 12 inches (10" independent suspension, 12" others).
· The engine was not updated due to the move towards cross-country rallies. That engine type had already been used by the 205 Turbo 16 Evo2 in the 1986 WRC. The interiors of the Evo2 and the Grand Raid are almost exactly the same (French Wikipedia has photos of both).
· The engine did not lose power because of "bad fuel", it intentionally lost power to increase the durability while keeping most of the original torque. The measurement of 360hp was made with proper pump fuel you can find in Europe.
· Not all 205T16GR left Europe so bad, only Ari Vatanen's unit had problems during the first stage (that horrendous placement includes trucks, which were not a full-blown independent class back then, only a subclass of the cars). Ari's 205T16GR was the only one to not have major problems in Africa though.
· 6 of the 10 stages won by the 205T16GR were at the hands of Shektar Mehta, a 5-time rally winner in the African WRC rounds of the 70s and 80s.

Please rewrite this article, it is in the Buzzfeed level of FAKE NEWS.

JOE DONALDSON is WRONG in many things:

· The suspension was not increased 12 inches, it was the car's length, with most going to the wheelbase. This was done to increase stability and make room for a much bigger fuel tank (almost triple the size) and the ever-important spare parts.
· The suspension was only increased by 3 inches. In some videos you can see how the car shakes when going over the bumps. It had even less suspension than the modern-age FIA T1 4x4 cars and those are limited to 10 or 12 inches (10" independent suspension, 12" others).
· The engine was not updated due to the move towards cross-country rallies. That engine type had already been used by the 205 Turbo 16 Evo2 in the 1986 WRC. The interiors of the Evo2 and the Grand Raid are almost exactly the same (French Wikipedia has photos of both).
· The engine did not lose power because of "bad fuel", it intentionally lost power to increase the durability while keeping most of the original torque. The measurement of 360hp was made with proper pump fuel you can find in Europe.
· Not all 205T16GR left Europe so bad, only Ari Vatanen's unit had problems during the first stage (that horrendous placement includes trucks, which were not a full-blown independent class back then, only a subclass of the cars). Ari's 205T16GR was the only one to not have major problems in Africa though.
· 6 of the 10 stages won by the 205T16GR were at the hands of Shektar Mehta, a 5-time rally winner in the African WRC rounds of the 70s and 80s.

Please rewrite this article, it is in the Buzzfeed level of FAKE NEWS.
Thanks for bringing this up in such a courteous and appropriate manner.

Count me in! I’ll definitely be getting this, it looks like a lot of fun. Will be a different style of Rally that I would usually try as well. Last time I played anything related to Dakar was in Colin McRae DiRT 1 in those trucks going up and down the desert.

Would love if this was made by the same Evolution team that put together the original Motorstorm and Pacific Drift. With that being said, I hope they can come really close to meeting the target render of the trailer.

When comparing this game to other games, let's keep in mind this is an indie game made by a very very small team. It's looking good and the navigation mechanic can surely make it unique if properly implemented.

I don't think the graphics are a priority (not GTS or FM level of graphics for sure).

I remain intrigued in this game as it has potential to be a great unique addition to the genre. However, the vehicle physics/handling still seem so off to me.

Gonna keep watching the game though, hoping the best. I love offroading and I really want this game to succeed :)

Wish Enthusia was on ps4 or got a remaster!
A remaster is almost impossible since, you know, Konami... But I'm still begging for Backwards compability on PS4!!. And obviously as well, that Gran Turismo can add some of the cars to the rooster. I still wonder myself why PD didn't add (for gt4) the 2003 Nurburgring 24h winner (Opel OPC Astra V8 DTM N24h) to the GT4 lineup, that would have make the Falken star GTR not alone and with a good rivalry (including the BMW M3 GTR), or the Vodafone CLK DTM for the same with the TT-R DTM :D... The team GOH R8?? Just add the car for GTS and let us do the rest ;D

Returning to the main theme. Also, cannot wait for the game!! :D Our Peruvian desert (Marcona stage with the Mini) looks so cool!! :D

I really like the idea of this game, the navigation aspect intrigues me.
Ditto. Somehow I wasn't taking on this sim too much before but after watching the vid on post #142 about what it is about it's intriguing me also. Liking the idea of the open world navigation/exploration as opposed to the hectic racing of Pcars 2 etc. I already have Pcars 2 and GTsport for that so it would be cool to have this game for a different experience. Think I'll get it when it comes out. Just hope it's compatible with the G29 which is the wheel I currently have. So once I can use my wheel it should be fine.

Back