Dakar 18 (PS4, XOne, PC) - Release date September 25 2018

• Thread starter er185es
  • 587 comments
Is there any place I can go to see what all the different symbols and notes in the map guide mean? Everything I've found just goes over the basic CAP heading and distance crap that I already know. I feel like there's a lot of information that I'm missing out on.

Is it good enough or better wait for the 21 sequel? @doblocruiser, physics, controls, and game in general decent really?
There has been no news or new screenshots of the new game for 6 months so I wouldn't be 100% that it will launch at all. Hopefully it does come at some point, the original was badly flawed but still enjoyable as something different.

There has been no news or new screenshots of the new game for 6 months so I wouldn't be 100% that it will launch at all. Hopefully it does come at some point, the original was badly flawed but still enjoyable as something different.
Yeah, it just now on sale too today on psn in n.a. for a mere 6 bucks, pretty tempting,unless the flaws just make it not enjoyable..

Edit: just checked some gameplay, seems to look pretty good. Maybe it was updated. Plus its different regions than the new one is gonna be i think, so ill try it. At that point price, plus 2 dlc are free.

Edit2: i got it and tried it a little, and im pleasantly surprised, im finding all super nice enough. Must have been updated enough, unless i get into bugs later on. Physics are nice, graphics,sounds etc. Big seemless areas.
Maybe id wish for some more performance vehicles, but i havent tried all. Cool sim style game. Looking forward to the sequel if ever.

Last edited:
Seen on the game's official Discord, there will be news about the next Dakar videogame soon.

Saber-Porto.jpg

Last edited:
If the gameplay looks half as good as the trailer this will be a really pretty game. The original was a bit of a mess but fun nontheless. I'm in for the sequel.

From the Discord:

My dear friends,
after more than 2 years I can finally release my breath and scream: DAKAR DESERT RALLY!! (the title of our new Dakar game).
I hope you loved the trailer, it has no fake CGI... all shots were captured from the gameplay, with fancy camera positions, plus nice editing and music.

We (you guys and our team) grew up together and learned a lot about what should be a Rally Raid videogame.
And joining Saber Interactive was a great decision that allow us to have all the support to do this awesome and unique game.
In the last 2 years, we have been working intensely to have a masterpiece made... with a lot of love dedication and affection.
Now can speak about this and we will gradually reveal more and more gameplay features.
We will also collect more data on the Dakar Rally in Saudi Arabia (January 2022), and then... we will work to polish the game.
In the end, I can promise you no less than "Infinite rally raid competition and fun!!"
Love you guys!

Last edited:
Hmmm. I'm not that into graphics. Not my primary point for games and racing games especially. I even liked PCars 3s looks and would be very fine with a GT7 just looking like GT Sport with the whole GT offline content and cars in close to same graphics like GTS but I watched this trailer and thougt wow even the 3 year older Dakar 18 looked better in my memory. Also it states all ingame footage at the beginning of the trailer down on the left corner. I mean it is ok for a small studio but really pretty game wouldn't be my first thought for this. The dust is horrible and many things including the vehicles doesn't look like they belong into the world. All a bit flat and no real reflections in the sun. Even the wet vehicles and tyres are still flat a don't reflect anything. Do they all have the F1 trending flat paint liverys without any gloss?
The island in the first helicopter shot just isn't connected to the world it seems and floats over the water like a ufo. The movement of the cars looked like they didn't even had a lateral movement in the suspension in the dune section. The closer shots looked better with some good details on the vehicles especially the side by side Polaris things and also the raindrops looked good. But I don't know. A bit biased since I really liked the different navigation approach on the first one and was hoping for a improved 2022 version. Especially the getting stuck not knowing why-scenario which killed the game for me in the end trying to run the full dakar rally...

Not a big fan of lensflares in ingame footage. Same for the raindrops on my view. Both suggesting that you look through a camera lens and not you own eyes. Ok (and nice) for trailers, cinema and cutscenes but just killing the immersion ingame for me since you just don't get lensflares and lots of small raindrops on human eyes. Only appearing on lenses and (in different form) googles :boggled:

Some (partly questionable) caps, good (or better) ones in the next post - scroll down:

[1920x1080] vtime=[0_09], take=[2021-12-11 01.48.53].png
[1920x1080] vtime=[0_22], take=[2021-12-11 01.50.14].png
[1920x1080] vtime=[0_25], take=[2021-12-11 01.50.52].png
[1920x1080] vtime=[0_26], take=[2021-12-11 01.51.14].png
[1920x1080] vtime=[0_49], take=[2021-12-11 01.44.00].png
[1920x1080] vtime=[0_49], take=[2021-12-11 01.44.13].png
[1920x1080] vtime=[0_54], take=[2021-12-11 01.44.39].png
[1920x1080] vtime=[0_58], take=[2021-12-11 01.45.58].png
[1920x1080] vtime=[1_11], take=[2021-12-11 01.47.05].png
[1920x1080] vtime=[1_22], take=[2021-12-11 02.04.14].png

Last edited:
Hmmm. I'm not that into graphics. Not my primary point for games and racing games especially. I even liked PCars 3s looks and would be very fine with a GT7 just looking like GT Sport with the whole GT offline content and cars in close to same graphics like GTS but I watched this trailer and thougt wow even the 3 year older Dakar 18 looked better in my memory. Also it states all ingame footage at the beginning of the trailer down on the left corner. I mean it is ok for a small studio but really pretty game wouldn't be my first thought for this. The dust is horrible and many things including the vehicles doesn't look like they belong into the world. All a bit flat and no real reflections in the sun. Even the wet vehicles and tyres are still flat a don't reflect anything. Do they all have the F1 trending flat paint liverys without any gloss?
The island in the first helicopter shot just isn't connected to the world it seems and floats over the water like a ufo. The movement of the cars looked like they didn't even had a lateral movement in the suspension in the dune section. The closer shots looked better with some good details on the vehicles especially the side by side Polaris things and also the raindrops looked good. But I don't know. A bit biased since I really liked the different navigation approach on the first one and was hoping for a improved 2022 version. Especially the getting stuck not knowing why-scenario which killed the game for me in the end trying to run the full dakar rally...

Not a big fan of lensflares in ingame footage. Same for the raindrops on my view. Both suggesting that you look through a camera lens and not you own eyes. Ok (and nice) for trailers, cinema and cutscenes but just killing the immersion ingame for me since you just don't get lensflares and lots of small raindrops on human eyes. Only appearing on lenses and (in different form) googles :boggled:

Some (partly questionable) caps, good (or better) ones in the next post - scroll down:

View attachment 1098737View attachment 1098738View attachment 1098739View attachment 1098740View attachment 1098741View attachment 1098742View attachment 1098743View attachment 1098744View attachment 1098745View attachment 1098747
Who cares about the graphics? This is a passionate team rescued from bankruptcy due to the shady acts of their previous publisher, trying their hardest to pour their heart out with a new game, which could actually be good now that they have a rare financial backing for a dream instead of a cash register, and you are chastising them over the graphics?

Dakar 18 was a wonderful yet flawed game, but was so unique and captured so well the spirit of Dakar, I find it flabbergasting that anyone would diss this new game over the graphics. Your observations are a true testament to what is wrong in the gaming industry today: appearance over substance. Paulo and his team love the Dakar rallies. And they want us to have a taste of it. No, it's not going to have ACC physics or GTS visuals, but it will capture what we want: an approximation of the sheer determination and difficulty of what a real Dakar rally is all about. It's a different kind of racing and I am truly taken aghast at your post belittling the game over graphics.

Don't like, don't play. That's fine. Let us Dakar fans enjoy one of the few racing games made by and for racing fans.

Who cares about the graphics? This is a passionate team rescued from bankruptcy due to the shady acts of their previous publisher, trying their hardest to pour their heart out with a new game, which could actually be good now that they have a rare financial backing for a dream instead of a cash register, and you are chastising them over the graphics?

Dakar 18 was a wonderful yet flawed game, but was so unique and captured so well the spirit of Dakar, I find it flabbergasting that anyone would diss this new game over the graphics. Your observations are a true testament to what is wrong in the gaming industry today: appearance over substance. Paulo and his team love the Dakar rallies. And they want us to have a taste of it. No, it's not going to have ACC physics or GTS visuals, but it will capture what we want: an approximation of the sheer determination and difficulty of what a real Dakar rally is all about. It's a different kind of racing and I am truly taken aghast at your post belittling the game over graphics.

Don't like, don't play. That's fine. Let us Dakar fans enjoy one of the few racing games made by and for racing fans.
Sorry. Don't wanted to hurt your feelings.

Last edited:
Who cares about the graphics?
Quite a few people.

Honestly, it's a fair point about the graphics since those screenshots range from so-so to outright awful. The Dakar game is going to be a niche title at best and relies heavily on the environment due to the nature of the race. If it looks bland, it's going to turn people away since driving through a bleak-looking desert for ages really isn't a big selling point. Lighting is going to play a huge role too since the race mostly centers around the desert regions of Saudi Arabia and the lighting there casts a wide range of colors over the landscape.

I agree graphics aren't everything with a game, it's why pixel art games are still popular and continue to sell well. But, when it comes to a racing game you want to feel immersed in it and that's difficult to do if it doesn't at least look good. We're also now used to what modern graphics look like and when you see something that looks several years old, it can be pretty jarring.

I get that the trailer is still probably from an early build and there's definitely some more polishing that needs to be done, so I won't fault it too much for the time being. However, if it looks like that at its release, it might be a pass for me, which would be a shame since I ended up liking Dakar 18 after figuring out the nuances and really enjoy rally raid in general.

Back