Dakar 18 (PS4, XOne, PC) - Release date September 25 2018

• Thread starter er185es
  • 587 comments
I'm not exactly well versed in Dakar technicalities, but I thought in raid style racing you only have a pre-determined start and finish point, and the route is up to you? I checked this year's route though and it seems you do follow a specified route.
https://www.horizonte-tours.com/uploads/dakar2018short.jpg

I was initially thinking a square map like FUEL's (that would make it just over 120km wide each side). This would mean even the longest drive corner to corner is about 2.5-3 hours (could be longer if the route isn't a straight path or looped). But a long thin map like what you suggested could be more faithful to the actual race. That would take considerably more effort to model though. Also whether the PS4/XB1 can handle loading the WHOLE map at once, or will it be cut into separate stages?

At Dakar, racers gets "roadbook" with recommended track - similar to rally pace notes, but it is only a rough guide of important points with several hundreds meters or kilometers unspecified. The key lies in GPS control points, which have to be passed at all cost, between them the racers can choose their own path. In reality, top teams have designed people just for shortcut planning.

I this game, I suppose you will be left with a corridor of some sort with route marked by control points, as it was at the desert part of Dakar game on PS2. Games are quite fast-paced, so loosing several minutes by finding route is not an option.

Last edited:
z37fqkixs2c01.jpg

As much as I *want* to get excited, I know that with Bigmoon's lackluster reputation at best when it comes to developing games is probably a recipe for disaster, especially in a discipline that requires a lot of moving parts like Dakar. And that Reddit post upthread, while certainly encouraging, screams to me of a developer who is making a lot of checks that it probably cannot cash.

Like any Milestone game, I come in with very low expectations.

As much as I *want* to get excited, I know that with Bigmoon's lackluster reputation at best when it comes to developing games is probably a recipe for disaster, especially in a discipline that requires a lot of moving parts like Dakar. And that Reddit post upthread, while certainly encouraging, screams to me of a developer who is making a lot of checks that it probably cannot cash.

It is being developed together with Deep Silver. So hopefully the two can get their act together on this one.

It is being developed together with Deep Silver. So hopefully the two can get their act together on this one.

I mean, sure, but Deep Silver doesn't exactly have a kind and sterling reputation either. Really, this just goes to a natural distrust of any small time racing developer that I have had since the genre bottomed out at the end of the last console generation.

I'm just going to chip in here that Seb' Loeb Rally Evo on the PS4 for me at least is a surprise in terms of gameplay. It's early days (only got it at the weekend) but actually really enjoying it from a ground up campaign mode. I'm thinking that maybe the faster cars become too difficult, but overall I'm well happy with the game!

That said, it does lack a bit of polish and the sound is woeful.

I'm just going to chip in here that Seb' Loeb Rally Evo on the PS4 for me at least is a surprise in terms of gameplay. It's early days (only got it at the weekend) but actually really enjoying it from a ground up campaign mode. I'm thinking that maybe the faster cars become too difficult, but overall I'm well happy with the game!

That said, it does lack a bit of polish and the sound is woeful.
Seams Milestone games will now have that polish with the new engine. This Dakar sounds too good to be true.

I am extremely interested in this, hopefully it pans out well and it's a decent game. I've never heard of Bigmoon, but Deep Silver has released some passable games. Not perfect, but fun games nonetheless.

Back