Death Stranding - A Hideo Kojima GamePS4 

• Thread starter dice1998
  • 163 comments
Bought on PC. Looks nice, game seems fun enough but Jesus Christ would you let me play it? The gameplay to cutscene ratio is pretty messed up in the first few hours, even for a Kojima game. Watching characters spout exposition at each other in cutscenes is :censored:ing boring.
Yeah, it seems like Kojima got worse with this over the years. That’s reason number 1 why I’m hesitant to give this game a try. Reason number 2 is that it looks like a walking simulator and I usually can’t stand those. Still, I am curious why people seem to like it for the most part. I refuse to believe that most people enjoy walking simulators, so there must be something to it that makes it more than that.

I don’t like how the story starts. The main characters started blabbing about stuff right away and I had no idea what they were talking about, makes the game comes off as a bit pretentious. The vehicle physics are pretty bad sometimes too.

No game is perfect though, this is not for everyone but I like the weirdness.

Last edited:
Still, I am curious why people seem to like it for the most part. I refuse to believe that most people enjoy walking simulators, so there must be something to it that makes it more than that.
There is definitely a lot more to it, but I don't think a lot of folks make it past chapter 2 (the first two chapters take place in the intro area, which is, well, boring). After that there's more interesting biomes, vehicles, story, characters, road building, expanding your gear and network, stealth/action, bosses, etc. I found it surprisingly refreshing. Replayability value is low though. And if you don't like 20-minute cutscenes followed by another 20-minute cutscene, looks elsewhere, this game is no different than the last few MGSes for that matter. And there are a questionable mission or two in there that force you to walk and do a crapload of backtracking.

What made it tick for me is the weirdness, chillin' in a beautiful environment and the slow pace, it was a welcome change. The walking simulator (or rather: dynamic load simulator) part is surprisingly fun too, you really need to plan every step you take, especially in rough terrain. Oh, and typical Kojima cheeky humor (also: typical Kojima cringy dialogue some times).

Definitely not for everyone though, it's too niche to be mainstream. (Which I find great, but companies need money in the bank to make AAA releases. ;)).

Given what he did with the expansions for MGS 1-3, I'm interested to see where he goes with the "director's cut" (as if anyone edited his original vision of Death Stranding, Kojima please), it could be a good bit of extra content. Glad I hadn't re-bought DS on PC yet, I'm sure this will make the jump sooner rather than later.

It's a bit weird how many not-new games are releasing on a console people are still struggling to buy, though. Is this what gaming has become?

Given what he did with the expansions for MGS 1-3, I'm interested to see where he goes with the "director's cut" (as if anyone edited his original vision of Death Stranding, Kojima please), it could be a good bit of extra content. Glad I hadn't re-bought DS on PC yet, I'm sure this will make the jump sooner rather than later.
IMO they won't ignore the massive success/positive reviews on PC.

IMO they won't ignore the massive success/positive reviews on PC.

I think you're right, it'd be pretty sad if they didn't bring it across. I think - even though it's not a new game - it might be the game I'm most looking forward to hearing more about, hopefully the MGS hints weren't just pandering for a joke and there will be some classic tactical stealth action.

Has anyone upgraded to the PS5 version?

I’m addicted to this game atm, it’s much easier since it’s my second play through but I’m playing on hard difficulty this time.

Widescreen and quality mode is the way to go if you want the best looking graphics with the least amount of drops in fps, according to Digital Foundry. I’ve been using it and I can’t go back to normal.

I love this game tbh, I feel like it’s misunderstood by many people.

I love this game tbh, I feel like it’s misunderstood by many people.
I'm not sure that it's misunderstood, it's just a ****ing weird game. People are unlikely to think that it's merely okay, they're either going to love it or hate it. It's a game that I'm glad exists, but I wouldn't randomly recommend it to just everyone. It's only great for a very specific type of player.

For those interested, a friend of mine release a photo book based on Death Stranding :

It's sold out but it's interesting to see what he could do with a game I thought.

If you have any questions, feel free to shout.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back