Defund the Police?

What is your opinion on the current police force situation in the US?

• Police departments nationally are funded appropriately as they are now. No change is needed.

• Police departments should be slightly defunded and slightly smaller.

• Police departments should be substantially defunded and much smaller.

• Screw it, the police force as we know should be completely abolished.

• Actually, the police force isn't funded enough and too small right now, and should grow.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The whole barber/cop training comparison seems really misleading, esp. that sign that circulated about barber school hours vs. academy hours where a few officers pointed out that the sign isn't taking into account 1-2+ years of actual on-duty training with another officer. Last Daiymo & Parker can likely elaborate but I'll refrain from tagging them for a response out of respect this may be a discussion they don't want to partake in.

This is pathetic. Pathetic.

What advanced tactics course do you take where you walk ahead of someone and stop so they bump into you, therefore meeting the minimal criterion for "assault" on a police officer?

That was great! More!

What's great about cops abusing their power?
I mean dude was harassing him.
I would've turned around and busted him in the face yelling in my ear like that and dude was purposely trying to trigger the officers...

I would've turned around and busted him in the face yelling in my ear like that and dude was purposely trying to trigger the officers...

I agree, but as @Northstar says a cop should be able to handle that. There's also nothing illegal about shouting at a cop. The cop's response, at least in the video, appears to be entrapment. He purposely causes a collision so they can arrest the guy for assault.

He's at work.

article-2208358-153312C9000005DC-2_634x460.jpg

This is pathetic. Pathetic.

What advanced tactics course do you take where you walk ahead of someone and stop so they bump into you, therefore meeting the minimal criterion for "assault" on a police officer?

This is just a few towns over from me. It's already been around the Long Island subreddit and there's more info than this video. The guy was asked nicely multiple times to not walk into oncoming traffic and stay with the rest of the group that was walking along the street. He was going out of his way to do whatever it was he wanted to do. In general, not at Liquid directly, always make sure you to get all of the facts and info before forming conclusions. I don't agree with the excuse they use to grab him but they quickly do and when they do they bring him down and that's it. No beating. No pepper spray. Just a quick arrest and that's it. All of the protests on Long Island have been relatively peaceful and nothing like the madness we're seeing around the country.

This is just a few towns over from me. It's already been around the Long Island subreddit and there's more info than this video. The guy was asked nicely multiple times to not walk into oncoming traffic and stay with the rest of the group that was walking along the street. He was going out of his way to do whatever it was he wanted to do. In general, not at Liquid directly, always make sure you to get all of the facts and info before forming conclusions. I don't agree with the excuse they use to grab him but they quickly do and when they do they bring him down and that's it. No beating. No pepper spray. Just a quick arrest and that's it. All of the protests on Long Island have been relatively peaceful and nothing like the madness we're seeing around the country.

Ok yes, so he keeps on walking on the street... That's a bad thing... yes i know.

But during these difficult times:

wouldn't it be better and shouldn't the police protect him by going way ahead and ensure the demonstrators's safety by warning incoming traffic... let the guy demonstrate peacefully... he is going to stop at some point... forcing a guy down on the ground and trying to shut him up don't seem to be something that can end well for anyone...

The protesters would certainly would have appreciated if the cops were on their side and ask "hey where are you going? we would like to offer our support to you!"

Wouldn't that go much more a long way than pinning him down while he was just exercising his freedom of speech ?

It still appears they tried to entrap him into committing assault though. I'm not sure what he was charged with, but if it's assaulting a police officer, then that's a gross misuse of power by the cops. If he's breaking the law by impeding traffic, which sounds like he was, then arrest him. Don't try to get him to commit some other crime that he wouldn't have otherwise done.

He was not charged with assault. Somewhere down in the comments there's a link to a local news article detailing it. Sorry for not finding it. I agree the way they went about it wasn't right but he was clearly looking for trouble to create a narrative.

I don't see the oncoming traffic? If he needed to be removed from the road then that was grounds enough to remove him from the road. With 10 or so officers there and a police vehicle directly behind that should have been quite easy. Assaulting him to force the arrest by saying (in reverse) that he caused an assault is just thick.

Are the police in the US overfunded or is this just a perception based on cherry picked examples?
I do not know about all municipalities. But certainly in mine and probably a lot of others, the overtime hours for sworn officers constitute a major part of the annual budget. The would indicate to me there are currently not enough sworn officers to handle the workload. The SPD has a serious problem hiring enough officers just to stay even, let alone expand. The current allocation is unfilled! Too many want to retire, quit or work elsewhere. Morale is low for a variety of reasons.

In the future, this may be mitigated by social workers or other specialties handling certain calls currently taken by officers.

He was not charged with assault. Somewhere down in the comments there's a link to a local news article detailing it. Sorry for not finding it. I agree the way they went about it wasn't right but he was clearly looking for trouble to create a narrative.

He shouldn't find it. The police should be good at not letting people find it. They should be trained to do that instead of to pull their gun faster than someone else might. I wouldn't expect jay walking to be handled with arrest.

Only part I have a comment on is the "complaints" part.
Just cause they might receive a complaint, doesn't mean they actually did what they were accused of.
Ok, but that post was about complaints that make it to/or be as risk of making it to court as evident by the word "settlement". If it goes to court and once all is said and done and the accuser has been found to make a fraudulent complaint, then they will not only walk away with a felony, but also could be counter sued for the court costs as well.
I can only see one reason for a settlement, and that being the officer or PD being worried it would not be able to beat the charges otherwise.

It turns out police departments all across the country are being defunded to various degrees due to heavy budgetary problems at the state and municipal levels. It's a simple matter of limiting the hemorrhaging of red ink. The coronavirus pandemic with consequent cratering of the economy and in tax revenues are primarily responsible for this development according to the video report in the news article below. Reallocation of some of the police budget cuts to alternate social services is another major factor. The video is accompanied by a short article regarding the situation in Austin, Texas.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/austin...ard-i-35/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=99367475

"Denver is now sending mental health professionals instead of police to respond to non-violent 911 calls. According to Adler, none of the calls in Denver have required police backup. This frees up officers for other police work."

"Denver is now sending mental health professionals instead of police to respond to non-violent 911 calls. According to Adler, none of the calls in Denver have required police backup. This frees up officers for other police work."
Here's a source for your quote:

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2020/09/10/...at-your-own-risk-says-austin-defunded-police/

I hope they're making the right call and continue to do so. I think people have got it in their heads that less funding for police means no police instead of using the vast resources they already have more efficiently.

Here's a source for your quote:

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2020/09/10/...at-your-own-risk-says-austin-defunded-police/

I hope they're making the right call and continue to do so. I think people have got it in their heads that less funding for police means no police instead of using the vast resources they already have more efficiently.
Well, when you come up with stupid slogans that doesn't really describe the situation, amd then people coop the movement to do stupid things like that CHAZ zone, you tend to get people who don't understand what is trying to be conveyed. But, hey, restruction law enforcement doesn't have the same ring or aggressive connotation to it. Doesnt sound as good during a protest.
Its the same issue I have with the "white privilege" thing. I get the idea, but the term instantly gets my back up. It points a finger at an entire race and calls them all bad for having some sort of "privileges" that a good deal of white dont really feel they do have. Makes for a great sound bite ot click bait, but it also causes so much abrasion that it cr re ates more resistance than good for what the movement is actually about. Equitable rights. These terms turn what should be seen publicly as a positive for all and turns it into us vs them.

Since the thread title is defund police, maybe if you’re stupid enough to want LACK OF LAW ENFORCEMENT
then you morons in favor of the idea would support paying the money that was defunded to criminals directly, since they wouldn’t do crime if they were rich. Further that’s what it does-REWARD CRIME LMFAO
YEAH that’s what you want smfh

That’s about the level of rational thinking ability of proponents of defunding.
How ironic the founders of BLM who push this are criminals..lol
You couldn’t make this up!

Back