Depression and Anxiety Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2,115 comments
@Dan from my experience they take a while to kick in, usually a few weeks. Most that I've tried (Deantics, Citilopran, etc) weren't strong enough for me. Using Prozac worked, felt 'normal' while on it. The only side affect was lack of a sex drive. After coming off the pills I didn't experience anything abnormal other than the absence being unnaturally possitive (which the pills do).

@Dan

I'm on Citalopram (Celexa) which has a wide variety of side-effects, most of which are pretty mild.

I experienced some nausea, drowsiness, appetite loss, and this weird feeling in my head. It was a little annoying but it all pretty much went away after a week or so. That's how I hear it tends to go with similar medications. Lots of slightly irritating side-effects which go away as the body gets used to it. Overall it didn't bother me all that much.

The only difficult things were trying to maintain my weight when my appetite was low, and figuring out when to take the pill so I could sleep at night without insomnia and not be drowsy during the day. But these days I barely notice I'm taking anything. And, luckily for me, the medication seems to have been very effective. I don't regret taking it at all. For some people, it takes several tries to find the right medication or combination of medications, but it looks like I got lucky on my first try.

Dan
What is it like to be on anti-depressants or anxiety meds?

I wish I could answer this more precisely. The side effects range so far and wide because different people will have different reactions. For example, @kikie responds adversely to benzodiazepines. They work fine for me. Zyprexa made me ceritfiably crazy. For others it's the magic wand.

I've never gone to the doctor about my issues and I'm curious as to how they make you feel before and after taking them.

It's best to ask a real professional. Suppose I said to you "Venlafaxine works really well. you should try it." You go try Venlafaxine and within two weeks you're way worse than before. In theory, my well intentioned but bad advice just harmed you.

Talk to a professional. They aren't there to harm you.

For example, do anti-anxiety pills like Xanax calm you down immediately if you're having a panic attack?

It's all up to the severity of the attack and your absorption rate, mixed in with which member of that chemical family. Xanax works quickly but has a short half-life.

I've also heard there's nasty side effects for a good number of them. :scared:

Some. But not all have the nasty side effects.

Dan
What is it like to be on anti-depressants or anxiety meds? I've never gone to the doctor about my issues and I'm curious as to how they make you feel before and after taking them. For example, do anti-anxiety pills like Xanax calm you down immediately if you're having a panic attack? I've also heard there's nasty side effects for a good number of them. :scared:
No, Xanax start working after half an hour, at least.
When I had to go to the A&E/ER due to a severe panic attack, they gave me xanax. After 45 min. to one hour, I was still having anxiety, so they gave me another one. After taking two Xanax'es, my anxiety went away. Very strange because Xanax is a benzo. Actually not that strange if you know that I start reacting adversely to benzos after taking these for at least 4 days, 3x a day. So the two Xanax'es, worked perfectly for me.

It was Lysanxia, a benzodiazipine, that gave me these severe panic attacks (side effect) because my reaction to Benzos is paradoxical. It took another benzodiazopine to get this anxiety attack (Xanax) under control.

A few weeks later, the psychiatrist, whom prescribed Lysanxia, gave me Xanas instead. But this time I had to take it 3 time a day. After 4 - 5 days, I had the same side effects as I had with Lysanxia.

My reaction to Zyprexa is even worse.

There are acupressure points to get rid of an anxiety attack. I tried it and it works.

Dan
What is it like to be on anti-depressants or anxiety meds? I've never gone to the doctor about my issues and I'm curious as to how they make you feel before and after taking them. For example, do anti-anxiety pills like Xanax calm you down immediately if you're having a panic attack? I've also heard there's nasty side effects for a good number of them. :scared:

My understanding is that even the same medications can affect different people differently. Presumably it depends somewhat upon your specific brain chemistry and exactly what's going wrong with it. But I can give you my own anecdotal experience if you're curious.

I was initially put on Lexapro (escitalopram). At the time my depression was pretty crushing, and it initially actually made me feel pretty great for a couple of days. I understand that this is unusual but not unheard of. Over the first week this sort of wore off until I was feeling depressed again but not quite as bad. Then over the next couple of weeks it ramped up again to it's "proper" effectiveness, which for me meant that while I didn't feel 100% I was good enough to be functional and not struggle to find the motivation to put food in my mouth.

I should note that no medication will make you feel 100%. At best they'll make you feel less bad, and there may be trade offs to get that. That's just sort of how it is.

Anyway, so I'd started off on a pretty low dose. A couple of months later I seemed to be slipping back so they upped the dose. That worked, but then a couple of months later we had to do the same again. At this point the side effects started kicking in for me. I'd already seen some weight gain, which I'm fine with if that's what I have to deal with, but at this dosage I also got really strong lethargy. Essentially I was super tired all the time, and left to myself I would sleep 16-20 hours a day. This makes it really difficult to hold down a job and stuff like that.

I ended up getting a second opinion from another doctor to move onto Brintellix (also known as Trintellix, vortioxetine). This controls my depression slightly less well but doesn't have the side effect of making me lethargic. I seem to be better at self-managing the symptoms of my depression at the moment though, as I've now had a fair bit of practice ;). It does give me nausea for anywhere between 30 minutes and a few hours after I take it, and the weight gain seems to be even more pronounced (I'm about 15kg over my "normal" weight at this point as a 6 foot guy), but again these are prices I'm willing to pay for controlling the depression.

I wouldn't be put off by the idea of "nasty" side effects. Yes, a lot of the drugs have side effects and if you look at the list it can be terrifying. But unless you're on super high doses your side effects are likely to be minor compared to the improvement in your quality of life from treating the depression or anxiety. And if you do have major side effects, your doctor will work with you to find a medication that is better for you. There are lots and lots of options for medication these days, and it's very unlikely that you won't be able find something that makes you feel better without any hugely objectionable side effects.

If nothing else, I've found it does feel good to be trying something new. The feeling that you're potentially making progress is pretty valuable, I'm at my worst when I feel stuck in a rut with nothing else to try. Just doing something, anything, can help at least keep your spirits up.

Dan
Thanks for your full response, but could you elaborate on the part I quoted? What do you mean that it made you crazy?

For one, @Imari is spot-on.

To answer your question:

The mood stabilizers had caused mood swings. Zyprexa made them worse. They were more frequent and more severe. There were never any up-swings, just the cursed ability to go from normal to soul crushing really quickly. I gained eighty pounds. Lost the last vestiges of my then-abysmal self esteem.

As more time progressed and I became more mindful and aware, I had the strange thought two years ago that maybe this nurse practitioner in 2010 gave me a misdiagnosis. I went in December 8 looking for help with depression and anxiety and left bipolar II, and nothing seemed to work for more than four or five months. I asked a new one. "Bipolar? no way. But you definitely have depression and anxiety."

The lack of Lithium and seroquel in my system produced the intended results of those medications.

It seems that the aliens, whom genetically engineered early humans or whatever into modern human, didn't do a good job. Everybody seems to be depressed or have other mental/brain issues.

Just lighting up this thread a little bit with this stupid joke.

It seems that the aliens, whom genetically engineered early humans or whatever into modern human, didn't do a good job. Everybody seems to be depressed or have other mental/brain issues.

I think it's definitely true that it affects more people than you'd think.

Not to mention that the universe was created, and it's generally agreed upon to have been a bad idea.

I did have the thought that humanity has a history of doing really dumb things and it's taken us an awful long time to get from stabbing each other in the brain with sticks to smartphones. I have a hypothesis that actually mental illness (in various forms) is essentially what holds the human race back, and it's as we develop better communities and methods of dealing with it that we progress as a species.

It's hard not to think of where we'd be if most of the people who would have been great leaders, scientists, explorers, warriors or whatever weren't crippled from the get go by mental illness. Or leaders etc. who clearly were crippled by mental illness.

I suspect that our brains not working right is the human condition, and actually it's the few who are well adjusted, well trained and simply lucky enough in the genetic lottery that are the exception.

Dan
Is this an HG2G reference?

I'm pretty sure yes. I would have said it was a verbatim quote if I hadn't looked it up and seen otherwise.

b5468eef4f763d817e380bb655b6f711.jpg

I'm pretty sure yes. I would have said it was a verbatim quote if I hadn't looked it up and seen otherwise.

b5468eef4f763d817e380bb655b6f711.jpg

Ok, I wasn't sure. The sentence was familiar, and the last time I read HG2G was at least four years ago.

@Imari, I don't think it's mental illness holding back humanity so much as human nature itself, though mental illness seems to be part of the human condition.

It's hard not to think of where we'd be if most of the people who would have been great leaders, scientists, explorers, warriors or whatever weren't crippled from the get go by mental illness. Or leaders etc. who clearly were crippled by mental illness.
And then there are leaders whom aren't crippled by mental illness. It's the opposite, they became psychopathic dictators. BTW, I think that all the world leaders have a screw loose. We, the common people are the most sane on this planet. :D

And then there are leaders whom aren't crippled by mental illness. It's the opposite, they became psychopathic dictators. BTW, I think that all the world leaders have a screw loose. We, the common people are the most sane on this planet. :D

Yes, well, there is that. I tend to agree that beyond local government it takes someone who is kind of damaged to want to do it.

Phobias

1. Sidonglobophobia

The fear of cotton balls.

2. Koutaliaphobia

The fear of spoons.

3. Coccinellidaephobia

The fear or phobia of ladybugs.

4. Scopophobia

The fear of being stared at.

5. Orthopterphobia

The fear of crickets.

6. Turophobia

The fear of cheese.

7. Myrmecophobia

The fear of ants.

8. Abibliophobia

The fear of running out of reading material.

9. Levophobia

Fear of things to the left side of the body.

10. Kabourophobia

The fear of crabs. BTW, why wouldn't someone be afraid of crabs? They're frightening.

11. Ebulliophobia

Fear of bubbles.

12. Hedonophobia

Fear of feeling pleasure.

13. Achievemephobia

The fear of success. If you have it, it's probably the only thing holding you back from success.

14. Autodysomophobia

Fear of smelly people.

15. Kolpophobia

Fear of genitals, particularly female.

16. Oikophobia

A fear of household appliances and other home surroundings.

17. Euphobia

Fear of hearing good news.

18. Pittakionophobia

The fear of stickers.

19. Pogonophobia

The extreme dislike and fear of beards.

20. Chaetophobia

The fear of loose or detached hair.

21. Luposlipaphobia

The fear of being pursued by timber wolves around a kitchen table while wearing socks on a newly waxed floor.

22. Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia

Fear of the number 666.

23. Allodoxaphobia

A fear of opinions.

24. Disparnumerophobia

The fear of odd numbers.

25. Didaskaleinophobia

Fear of going to school.

26. Xanthophobia

The fear of the color yellow.

27. Automatonophobia

Fear of ventriloquist's dummies, animatronic creatures, wax statues, or anything that falsely represents a sentient being. Let's be honest though, those things are pretty creepy.

28. Nyctohylophobia

If fairy tales have taught us anything, it is that we should all have this phobia, which is the fear of the woods in the night.

29. Globophobia

The fear of balloons.

30. Dendrophobia

Fear of trees.

31. Acerophobia

Fear of sourness or sour things. Raise your hand if you've ever been freaked out by a Sour Patch Kids commercial..

32. Cacophobia

Fear of ugliness.

33. Pentheraphobia

Fear of your mother-in-law.

34. Deipnophobia

Fear of dinner parties.

35. Pantophobia

No, not a fear of pants, but the fear of everything. So I guess that actually includes the fear of pants.

36. Pediophobia

Being afraid of dolls.

37. Alektorophobia

Fear of chickens.

38. Phronemophobia

The fear of thoughts, or thinking.

39. Coprophobia

Fear of feces.

40. Arithmophobia

Fear of numbers.

41. Triskaidekaphobia

Fear of the number 13.

42. Arachibutyrophobia

Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.

43. Food Neophobia

The extreme fear of new foods.

44. Botanophobia

The maddening fear of that single most dangerous species on Planet Earth...plants.

45. Lanchonophobia

The fear of vegetables.

46. Genuphobia

The perfectly relatable fear of knees. See also Body.

47. Basophobia

The extreme fear of falling down. So much so, that someone with this disease never gets up.

48. Consecotaleophobia

The fear of chopsticks.

49. Trypophobia

A fear of holes.

50. Rhabdophobia

Fear of being beaten by a rod or instrument of punishment, or of being severely criticized.

51. Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Its not fun to say, but ironically, this is the medical term for the fear of long words.

Last edited:
50. Rhabdophobia

or of being severely criticized.

I don't know if it a phobia but I have serious problems with this. I always seems to take it personally, eventhough it is just a harmless comment.

You call them phobias, I call them slices of insanity. If it isn't a direct threat to life then there is no reason to be fearful of something.

I understand that phobias are irrational fears but some of them take the biscuit. Biscuits probably scare some people. Biscuits.

Edit: @kikie, your posts are rubbish and you smell like elderberries. Are you scared now?

Monday, it will be 8 months of depression and suffering. :crazy:

I'm depri at the moment but ...... I was just able to smile though when I read @Lizard's post. :cheers: 👍

Depri is short for being depressive etc ... and is actually Dutch.

Monday, it will be 8 months of depression and suffering. :crazy:

I'm depri at the moment but ...... I was just able to smile though when I read @Lizard's post. :cheers: 👍

Depri is short for being depressive etc ... and is actually Dutch.

I've been clinically depressed since I turned 16, thats more than 12 years now. Given time you will adjust.

I've been clinically depressed since I turned 16, thats more than 12 years now. Given time you will adjust.
When I'm clinical depressed, I'm really depressed. I can't eat anymore, I have a lot of anxiety, phobia, depression enduced psychosis, I can't sleep anymore without medication, I always lose weight due to the severe stress and wearing myself out, exhaustion, eventhough I force myself to eat. I always seem to lose a lot of muscly tissue and less body fat. For some reason I still don't comprehend, I cry a lot when being clinical depressed. I can't stand anything. My senses are very sensitive/hightend that every sound is too much etc.... . I can't literally watch TV because that makes me more depressed. I don't wash, shave until late at night when I'm not depressed anymore.
Basically, I'm a non-human-brain-eating zombie whom isn't able to live, suffer a lot, constantly trying the best way to commit suicide, getting admitted to the hospital etc.... . When I'm in a depression, I'm really in a depression and not feeling down like most people feel when they think they are depressed. I always scores the highest scores on depression tests e.g hamilton depression scale test.
In 2008, my psychiatrist took some blood and had sent it off to Germany to be tested. Guess what, my serotonin level was so low that it was normal for me to feel so horrible. I have a strong character and will power and still, it is brutal/cruel/gruesome what I have to go through and barely manageable.
Nobody can deal, for years, with what I feel/go through when I'm depressed. That is impossible, believe me. People whom claim that they can are liars because what I go through when I'm depressed is literally going through hell, day after day, minute after minute and these people certainly won't survive if they go through what I have to go through.

They die from exhaustion, malnutrition or lack thereof, body shutting down or they will kill themselves eventually.
This will go on for a few months. Luckily for me, until now, I have always been able to come out of these severe clinical depressions. It can change though but I hope not. And when I do get out of it, I'm depression, anxiety, phobia and all the other stuff, free.
When I get out of the clinical depressions, I have to start all over again. My endurance/stamina is completely gone, literally. Making up my bed is even too much and I'm out of breath. I don't have any strenght anymore. E.g. when I take the stairs and go down, my legs can barely support my body and I have to hold on to the wall on my right and the banister on my left. My legs always shake and tremble when going down.
Riding a bike; well my legs start to acidify immediatly. It always takes my up to half a year to one year to get my strenght back.

This is actually funny. A few months ago, I was carrying 12 glass bottles (with water in it, in a plastic bottle thing that holds 12 bottles :D) up the stairs (and I barely made it). When I wanted to put the bottles (still in this bottle thing that holds 12 bottles) down, it was too much, too heavy for me. I wasn't able to put these bottles on the floor and I catapulted myself hitting the window with my head. :P

Last edited:
What it's like for me going from winter to summer to winter again with severe Seasonal Affective Disorder;

Not really. Full force depression is unsustainable. That's why people commit suicide.

Mild depression can be adapted to and dealt with to a certain extent, especially if it starts when you're young and you don't know any better. Looking back, I figure it started kicking in for me when I was six. I just thought that was how people were, and that I was worse at dealing with it than other people. It took nearly thirty years before I got the combination of enough experience to know better and a really bad few months to make the symptoms bad enough to seek help. But if the depression had been that bad and that sustained when I was young, I'd never have made it past the age of ten.

If you've been depressed, then you'll know that there are periods when it's so bad that you couldn't put up with it for any significant length of time. If it's always gone away for you quickly enough that you could stagger through, then that's great. I guess it's that way for many people. But it's not that way for everyone. There are definitely people like @kikie that just get creamed by it. Brain chemistry can be a bitch.

There is no adjusting. It's just unbearably awful. The whole point is that your brain chemistry is maladjusted, which then leads to all the other problems that kikie describes. And it's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, because the depression kills the motivation and ability that you'd need to fight the depression. Beyond a certain point, there's no real way out of the hole other than waiting, hoping, and scrabbling along trying to keep yourself fed and sane.

Back