Destiny: Become Legend (Now with More Iron!)

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 4,545 comments
United States
Allen, Texas
crispychicken49
crispychicken49
BETA DATES
PS3/4: 7/17/2014
XB360/XBOne: 7/23/2014

Everyone be on 7/26/2014 at 2PM EST (Timezone Converter!) to test server stress tests and to get yourself a new emblem!

BETA GAMEPLAY

PLACES TO DISCUSS DESTINY BETA
Bungie.net
/r/DestinyTheGame
Destiny on GTP

Destiny ViDoc ~ Pathways Out of Darkness

Thanks to Ddrizle for keeping this thread up to date! I owe all the credit of information to you! 👍

Players will explore our solar system in Bungie's new first-person shooter, crafting personal stories as they travel Destiny's surreal, fantastic places.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/17/3993058/destiny-bungie-first-look-preview

“Our story begins seven hundred years from now in the Last City on Earth, in a Solar System littered with the ruins of man’s Golden Age. A massive, mysterious alien ship hangs overhead like a second Moon. No one knows where it came from or what it’s here for, but only that it’s our protector. Meanwhile, strange, alien monsters creep in from the edge of the universe, determined to take Earth and the Last City. We are young ‘knights’ tasked with defending the remains of humanity, discovering the source of these monsters and – eventually – overcoming it.” Elsewhere in the document, the massive alien ship is referred to as “the Traveler.”

IGN Article

Bungie officially confirms Destiny Reveal on February 17

We'll see what Bungie can do outside of Halo. Bad thoughts of Oni pop up for me for some reason, but then again, that was Bungie West.

Pre-Order posters give a little more insight to the story, as well as the type of game!

Thread over at Bungie.net with all the information

Last edited:
Just a heads up your quotes and what not are all messed up since I am assuming you're posting from mobile....

Otherwise... Ya, I am excited for this one.

I saw some screens for this and got curious - when I read the story, I was far less curious about it all. Sorry, the story behind a game is important to me. Have fun though, it does look very pretty.

Just a heads up your quotes and what not are all messed up since I am assuming you're posting from mobile....

Otherwise... Ya, I am excited for this one.

Yeah, haha.

From the Polygon article Bungie seems to have gotten together a great team! Even better than the previous team! Lead designer worked on Read Dead Redemption and the Grand Theft Auto games. If this is an Open World game (which I think it is) then they have a great designer to do it.

Plus the guy who worked on Finding Nemo and other animated Pixar movies is doing the animation. Overall I think this is truly and awesome company, ready to make an awesome new universe!

when I read the story, I was far less curious about it all. Sorry, the story behind a game is important to me.
I kind of feel the same way.

Most first-person shooters these days have a single-player campaign that is really just an extended tutorial for the online multiplayer. The CALL OF DUTY franchise is particularly guilty of this; to those games, the story is just a loose series of scenarios that introduce gameplay elements in order so that you can use them online. But Bungie is one of the few developers that actually seems to value the single-player experience, and want to tell an interesting story. That was enough to make me pay attention to this project - until, like you, I read the story. It just doesn't seem like anything original.

I kind of feel the same way.

Most first-person shooters these days have a single-player campaign that is really just an extended tutorial for the online multiplayer. The CALL OF DUTY franchise is particularly guilty of this; to those games, the story is just a loose series of scenarios that introduce gameplay elements in order so that you can use them online. But Bungie is one of the few developers that actually seems to value the single-player experience, and want to tell an interesting story. That was enough to make me pay attention to this project - until, like you, I read the story. It just doesn't seem like anything original.

I have a feeling that the way they described it could've been better. Like you said, Bungie usually pays attention to their story line so I doubt that they'd make this one super unoriginal. Hopefully... :lol:

I think the story sounds fine. Sure, the individual details are nothing original... some of 'em have used by countless cliche sci-fi yarns. But as a whole, how the details are put together, I think it sounds like it'll be pretty good.

Based on the Marathon and Halo series, I'd say that this kind of sci-fi seems to be Bungie's thing. So with them behind the helm, it could possibly be great.

Bungie did a great job with Halo 1, 2, and 3. Bungie truly sunk their entire heart and soul into Halo 3. Such an amazing and innovative game. ODST was terrible and Reach wasnt too great either.

I became a huge fan of Bungie after Halo 2 and Halo 3. I loved their trueskill matchmaking multiplayer and I really hope Destiny also has a similar feature for the multiplayer. Regardless, it will be the opportunity for Bungie to redeem themselves again after starting to go downhill with the Halo series. Really looking forward to seeing some more info about Destiny. I didnt read through the entire link but I am sure this is focused for the next gen consoles.

Last edited:
Thanks Ddrizle! Really excited about this, I have a feeling that it will be very good!

Thanks Ddrizle! Really excited about this, I have a feeling that it will be very good!
👍 You're very welcome!

IGN Live Stream: Destiny Reveal

mb4bgh.jpg

2v7wc3s.jpg

2qbrxah.jpg

Destiny ViDoc ~ Pathways Out of Darkness

Last edited:
Just saw the video for this on facebook. Nice to see an interesting FPS coming out that isn't based entirely on online play. I suck at online FPS shooters and really miss the days when they were all about the single player experience. Will be keeping an eye on this one. Good to know they are separate from M$ now so we can get this on PS3. 👍

Expected Q4 2014 release on current gen... what?

Hopefully they just can't say next gen at this point.

Also hope this does indeed come to PC; seems pretty dumb to me if they don't develop for PC... since it is the MMO platform.

Expected Q4 2014 release on current gen... what?

Hmm... That seems odd, I thought it was going to be late this year or early 2014 not late 2014.
Also hope this does indeed come to PC; seems pretty dumb to me if they don't develop for PC... since it is the MMO platform.

I'd love it on PC! Imagine the graphics, dynamic lighting! :drool: I would be willing to bet that if this one is console only the sequels will be PC.

Last edited:
Nice to see an interesting FPS coming out that isn't based entirely on online play. I suck at online FPS shooters and really miss the days when they were all about the single player experience.
You can't even play Destiny without being connected to the internet.

It's a persistent, shared and connected world, so you will need to be connected [to the internet] to play Destiny.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-17-destiny-requires-an-internet-connection-to-work

Taken from ocn:

summary from this video:

- Class based shooter
- Titan (heavy), Hunter, Warlock, magic powers like shooting fireballs
- "Star is you. Stories that are told are the stories you make with your friends"
- They're still making content that you play (quests, etc)
- No monthly fee
- Online is like Journey
- Game will have emotes, like most MMOs
- There are other planets to visit
- MMO style town with safe areas where you group up
- Bungie kept using the word "Dungeon", implying MMO style dungeon design
- One of the developers used the term "6 player raid", again like MMOs
- Players can drop in and out of your game, like Journey
- Co-op is the focus. There is competitive play
- "No lobby or matchmaking system". Gerstmann thinks there will be an arena in the town for competitive
- Rumors are true: Paul McCartney is working on the music for the game
- Music was made before the game was done, the game tailored to the music. They usually make the music as the game is made, tailored to the scene
- The Activision contract is real. They'll be working on Destiny for 10 years
- They wouldn't discuss the business details of the contract
- Announced only for 360 and PS3 "at this time" (implying other systems later on)
- "A persistent online universe filled with other players. As the world grows and expands over time so does the story. The destinations you can access, the activities you can experience, and the rewards you can earn. Personalize and upgrade every aspect of how you look and fight with a near limitless combination of armor, weapons, and visual customizations. Take it all with you into every mode, including Destiny's story, competitive multiplayer, and public combat destinations. Return to The City, Destiny's third person social space to repair and rearm before going out." From the press release.
- "They didn't show us any game while we were up there. They're making a documentary"
- They wouldn't say "PC". They kept stressing "our strength is console" and "console shooter"
- What was shown looked good but did not look like it could run on PS3 or 360 because it was running on PCs
- Lots of focus groups used for testing the game. Uses cameras to watch the tester faces while playing the game
- No gameplay was shown, none, zero
- Highest player count mentioned was "6 player raid"
- No cross-platform play (360 can't play with PS3), obviously
- Release TBD, not expected for 2013 financials, so not until Q2 2014 at earliest, possibly Q4 2014 because Q2 is a bad release window for a big game like this
- Bungie offices were nice. It used to be a movie theater and bowling alley. Seems like a nice place to work[/quote]

This really does sounds like their own version of a MMO version of Mass Effect in a very good way. The MMO concept sounds like it would work very similar to how the system works with TDU2 and Fable 3. You can go and meet just about anywhere with other people up to a certain amount. This sounds VERY interresting for sure. I am also sure it will be on the next consoles. "Online only" will create some issues for those that dont have a good internet connection. Only having P2P does make me a little bit nervous. No matchmaking makes me wonder if this will even have any type of competitive multiplayer or is mainly a large co-op experience where you and friends go and attack AI enemies in various areas. That part seems like a grey area so far. Just not sure how a vs multiplayer would work in this game without some sort of matchmaking. The Hubs seem like they will be similar to the "Home" feature on the PS3. Or like the free roam with the avatars in TDU2. Or like the free roam with the avatars in TDU2 in other players houses or while looking at cars before a race in the race lobby.

Here is a breakdown of Destiny.
Gameplay:
◦a "shared world shooter"
◦it will be a class based game (3 classes shown off so far. are Vanguard, Hunter, and Warlock)
◦needs online connection
◦Has ships in it (also land based vehicles)
◦can go to other planets (maybe add/sell new planets post release)
◦will last 10 years
◦has "Dungeons" in it
◦one will be Dust Palace
◦Journey like multiplayer in that anyone can come in (number of people who can enter your world are design controlled)
◦you can form squads
◦you can have “six–player raids”
◦no lobby or matchmaking traditional services
◦hubs where people can meet up to talk, will be allowed to gamble
◦one hub will be the Overwatch Sector of the Tower
◦in hubs the game will be in third person
◦has PvP
◦lots of customization in it
◦some sort of loot system
◦“Everyone needs to look unique”
◦have prefab parts
◦will have iOS app
◦supports live events
◦multiple enemy factions
◦one enemy faction will be the Sand Eaters

Making of:
◦trailer was in-engine rendered
◦started on it in 2006ish
◦Paul McCartney will make music for it
◦"Bungie has already recorded 50 minutes of music with a 106-piece orchestra and a 40-voice choir at the legendary Abbey Road Studios in London."
◦used to be codenamed tiger
◦only has talked about it on ps3 and 360 (apparently stressed about how they are good at making "console" shooters) (could be moved onto new systems)
◦will have "Fully multithreaded performance on all platforms; interactive world editor; an entirely new graphics engine; distributed computing clusters; advanced AI and locomotion; a live update content pipeline; global scale server architecture; and a data-drive simulation engine."
◦"“We’ve had to spend the last six years rebuilding almost every part of our game technology,” says senior engineering lead Chris Butcher. “Creating this world is the most ambitious challenge we’ve ever taken on here. Huge worlds larger than any we’ve ever built — living, open worlds with deep physical simulation. And each is full of players.”"
◦everything in the game has to meet 5 pillars of design philosophy (and then 2 more)
◦A world players want to be in
◦A bunch of fun things to do
◦Rewards players care about
◦A new experience every night
◦Shared with other people
◦Enjoyable to all skill levels
◦Enjoyable by the tired, impatient, and distracted

Setting:
◦takes place in the future
◦set in our universe
◦players help create story in some way
◦"Destiny's story was compared to a series of books, each with a beginning and end, that encompass an overarching primary narrative."
◦was a golden age of galactic exploration
◦will be finding ancient human settlements on other worlds
◦human race was almost wiped out by unknown force
◦The "Traveler" sacrificed himself to save humanity
◦the giant ball is his ship, called the sphere
◦grants power to the cities warriors, you will gain access to the travelers technology
◦have “the European Dead Zone" and “The swamps of old Chicago”
◦have "War Rhinos, Spider Pirates, time-traveling robots, “and of course, evil space zombies.”"

It's essentially an MMO so not sure what you mean by that.

He probably means that the game isn't based only on the PvP combat. Like Call of Duty, Battlefield, or to an extent, Halo. Most games focus on Multiplayer more than story, so I think that is what he means.

I'm hoping that Marty is still working on the music. He does great stuff. I assume these Raids and Dungeons are going to be similar to campaign missions from Halo too. Hopefully we have a whole world to explore, and not just certain parts of the world.

It seems they have had a lot of time to work on it, there it says that trailer has been in development since 2006, which means the game has been in development for longer. Do not disappoint Bungie!

I like what I'm seeing, but I hope Bungie can live up to some of the promises they've made with the "seven pillars" approach - particularly when it comes to inexperienced gamers, or those of us who don't have a whole lot of time on our hands. I, for one, don't want to fire up the game after a week of not playing, only to find that the universe has totally changed and I have to play catch-up, trying to figure out what is new.

So if it's going to be released on both ps3 and ps4, merged online gameplay ? same question for Diablo 3. They could pull it off, same servers different graphics? lol

So if it's going to be released on both ps3 and ps4, merged online gameplay ? same question for Diablo 3. They could pull it off, same servers different graphics? lol

Sounds really tricky lol. So how did a game like Portal 2 do it you think? I'm pretty sure the PC version of Portal 2 is superior? in graphics over the PS3 version but you could connect together between the PS3 and PC. Now that the PS4 is basically a PC, it may be possible?

Here's a little speculation on my part about Destiny.

So we have a feeling from a few screenshots that "Faction Wars" is the competitive playlist. We also know that the player can choose factions. Now, remember Reconstruction Era? Many people had different plans on rebuilding America after the Civil War. I think that the Factions have similar purposes. They want to rebuild humanity.

So we choose a faction based on what plan we like best. Since Bungie have said this is a player-driven story, then wouldn't it be cool if our actions affected the next Destiny games? So imagine this. We go into Destiny, and we choose our faction, say Dead Orbit because we agree with their plan. Then we go into Faction Wars and fight against the other faction, getting many wins. When it comes time to choose a victor and our Faction is on top, our plan gets used to reconstruct humanity, and is shown heavily in the next Destiny games.

This is all just pure speculation on my part though.

The problem with that is that it contradicts the story of DESTINY. The whole idea behind DESTINY is that humanity narrowly avoided its own extinction, and is now consolidating its position in the galaxy while hostile alien threats start working their way towards earth. The players take on the role of "Guardians of the City", so they are all effectively allied. To have factions springing up and fighting each other will endanger mankind's future, so I doubt it's going to be anything like that.

I'd say it's more likely that any in-fighting among the players is going to arise at the very fringes of the galaxy. Humankind is starting to explore its former colonies, which went into decline during "the Collapse". Nobody seems to know what the Collapse was, so I'm guessing that a large part of the story is going to revolve around what actually happened during the Collapse that led to mankind's decline. There's probably going to be some evidence out there that players find, which opens up plenty of potential for factional fighting: do you make public what you find, and potentially cause panic on earth? Or do you keep it to yourself until you find more evidence to support your theory of what happened, or disprove it?

That way, the fighting would be limited to skirmishes on the edges of the galaxy, but as Bungie start revealing more evidence in future updates or releases, more and more people would start joining factions.

Back