DFP 900 degrees steering in GT4P vs. in GT3

• Thread starter SkillRacer
  • 10 comments
For all those of you who are playing GT4 Prologue w/ the 900 degrees steering using the Driving Force Pro, and also own GT3, i have a question for you...

Ive managed to get DFP 900 degrees to work in GT3. Once you press

select+R3+R1

calibrate your wheel in the options, it works. Once you get used to it it works quite well actually (but almost impossible to recover from a spin).

For those of you w/ GT4P if you try that does the control of the wheel compare? or its quite different in GT4P.
I know that GT3 wasnt designed for this, but seems to work anyway, so im just curious if the control of the wheel is similar with GT4P.

Thanks!

Can somebody with GT3 try this and the DF Pro wheel try this for me..........?

- 1 - Calibrate the wheel in GT3 as usual while locked in 200 degree mode.
- 2 - Once finshed calibration use the 3 button trick to unlock the wheel.
- 3 - Now play any track in GT3
- 4 - Does this give the wheel more steering lock than the regular Driving Force wheel?

Biggest problem with the old wheel and GT3 was you were not able to wind as much 'lock' on as with the dual shock controller. This makes it difficult to recover from spins/slides.

Biggest problem with the old wheel and GT3 was you were not able to wind as much 'lock' on as with the dual shock controller.

Really? i.e. far left on the wheel isn't a full left input? Isn't that the point of calibration? Think they'll fix this in GT4 (or is it fixed in GT4P) or is it a hardware limitation?

Switching to 900 degree mode with the default calibration isn't that effective for GT3, it just stretches out the input values for the steering wheel, which makes it more difficult to go from lock to lock when needed in racing scenarios. You have to turn more to make what was once a short turn in 200 degree mode.

I haven't tried calibrating it once in 900 degree mode, maybe this will let you tune the wheel to you liking.

Originally posted by S13KS
Biggest problem with the old wheel and GT3 was you were not able to wind as much 'lock' on as with the dual shock controller. This makes it difficult to recover from spins/slides. [/B]

Actually, that's just PD's code to make the game playable with the d-pad. Basically you are playing with driving assists on when you play GT3 this way. With the wheel, the simulation is more realistic, especially when set on Simulation Mode (which is not available for any DS configuration).

Basically, you are playing different games with each type of controller. I think the same holds for GT4 Prologue - unlike when using the wheel, when you use the DS2, you never have all driving assists off even if you switch them off in the menu.

Yea 900 degrees works w/ GT3, but even on simulation mode, it doesnt feel like the wheel is linearly responsive with the wheels. It feels like theres always lag with the wheel catching up to your steering. I mean that works great for the analog controller, but makes it ridiculusly difficult to recover from drifts when using the wheel (at least for me).

anyway back to my original question, can anyone describe the responsiveness of the wheel w/ GT4P? thanks.

Originally posted by Arwin
Actually, that's just PD's code to make the game playable with the d-pad. Basically you are playing with driving assists on when you play GT3 this way. With the wheel, the simulation is more realistic, especially when set on Simulation Mode (which is not available for any DS configuration).

Basically, you are playing different games with each type of controller. I think the same holds for GT4 Prologue - unlike when using the wheel, when you use the DS2, you never have all driving assists off even if you switch them off in the menu.

No. You do not have as much wheel lock available with the wheel as you do with the dual shock. It is most likely due to the limited lock of the DF wheel. Using all of the available wheel lock would've made the wheel too twitchy too control.

GT Concept recitified this issue somewhat - buy increasing the aggressivess of lock the further you turned the wheel. However I felt this gave the cars an strange feel - due to the sudden increase in wheel lock.

An easy way to tell the difference......

Play a track in GT3 using the DF wheel. Turn the wheel completely one way and back again several times. Then watch a replay and take note of the amount of visual wheel lock available.

Then do the same with the dual shock - and you'll notice a significant amount more wheel lock.

And which wheel would you be using? I'll test it tonight, but so far I've never noticed it. Properly calibrated and excluding the slightly strange old Driving Force I don't think there's a difference, but maybe you're right and I just never noticed - I'll check it tonight.

Originally posted by Arwin
And which wheel would you be using? I'll test it tonight, but so far I've never noticed it. Properly calibrated and excluding the slightly strange old Driving Force I don't think there's a difference, but maybe you're right and I just never noticed - I'll check it tonight.

I had the GT Force wheel which came with GT3. I also have the Momo which gives the same result.

However the Momo does have a bit more lock than the old GT Force and Driving Force. When calibrated it makes the control a bit less twitchy than the other wheels.

I have the Wingman FF GP ... I'm fairly sure the MoMo doesn't have more lock than that wheel because at iLink events I drive a lot with both of them. But it's an interesting point and I'll check it out tonight ...

Back