DFP Drift Settings

• Thread starter lurkerD
  • 30 comments
Yeah so I'm breaking my silence since I found this site over a year ago. Thanks everyone for all the information, advice, videos, and set-ups. :cheers: I've been playing this game since GT1 blah blah blah long story short I got GT4 the first day it came out along with a new DFP and soon after took a stress induced hiatus because of the wonderful new physics engine. :banghead:

So I took it up again a few months ago and have been honing the skills. I'm happy now that I can recreate 90% of the drifts I could make in GT3. Well, last night for no reason I checked my DFP settings. It was on simualtion and I think I had the power steering off and the active steering on. Something I probably did when first trying to figure out the game.

I put it to the default settings and wouldn't you know my drifting improved immediately. It seemed that the wheel was more forgiving of my inputs. Before doing this, I had a difficult time linking drifts and performing big feints because i had to be extremely sensitive on the inputs when shifting weight.

I haven't really seen anyone post DFP drift settings. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the manual explains the affects of these settings.

The question is: What is your setting for the DFP when drifting?

I'd like to especially know what Mike le chat noir, aka the DFP King, is running. :bowdown:

Currently, the default setting is doing me good. I think it's amatuer, active steering off, power steering on, and strong force feedback.

Thanks in advance for the read and advice. Maybe I won't be so quiet anymore...

lurkerD
No I didn't. I'm sorry if I had too. Please have this post deleted if it's inappropriate or out of line. It's my first post.

I wouldn't say that. But it's been talked about before. Also, if you're intrested in Mike's settings, why not send him a PM? :)

Ok, I'm going to let this one ride for a while.

Let's keep it on topic. After searching around there isn't a thread focused on this subject for drifting. So, have at it.

The Amateur/Professional/Simulation is for the 200 degree wheels (GT force, DF etc) and don't work with the DFP.

Most of the accomplished drifters I've seen the setup of seem to use strong feedback and power assist.

I'm not sure if the "active steering" bit works on DFP, but I'd think it would be best to turn it off anyway...

Ske
The Amateur/Professional/Simulation is for the 200 degree wheels (GT force, DF etc) and don't work with the DFP.

Most of the accomplished drifters I've seen the setup of seem to use strong feedback and power assist.

I'm not sure if the "active steering" bit works on DFP, but I'd think it would be best to turn it off anyway...

Im with you on this! i havnt noticed much difference when changing the Ametuer/Professional etc setting on my DFP, looking back at it any differences i have noticed may just be me thinking that because i have turned it to professional it feels better. I would advise for the "active steering to be turned off because it makes the car feel like its "skipping" throug a corner. What i mean is the lateral momentum of the car seems to break traction and gain traction repeatedly and quickly creating this "skipping/jerky" feeling through the wheel. Its pretty horrible.

When i first got my DFP i was expecting to be a god at driving but its not the case. I dont think this thread should become misleading, there are no miracle settings to make the DFP "easy" to use. Unfortunately if you want to be able to drive as well with the DFP as your DS2 then practice is the only answer.

Hey thanks Swift for letting this topic ride. :cheers:

After experimenting with the settings I realized that this is a difficult topic to discuss. I'm basically asking how the wheel feels in your hands and that is going to be different for everyone. It's like explaining love. You'll know if it is when your in it.

All I can share is my experience. Not to mislead anyone because practice is the ONLY way to drifting in GT4, but to me default setting is more forgiving.

Thanks everyone for listening and to the mods for letting me spam a little. :)

P.S. - Mike's setting is Active On, Simulation, Power Assist On, and Strong if anyone wanted to know. And of course PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!

I've been using active steering on, power assist on, FF on strong (only by coincidence do these match Mike's settings)
then I reduce the FF at the wheel with select, r3, left paddle.

I've had my fair share of problems learning to drift on the DFP, but these settings are what feel best to me. I haven't felt any need to change them in months (I think September may have been the last time - right when I got on xlink).

I'm not quite following what others are complaining about with the active steering. I guess I'll just have to switch it off and note the difference for myself.

Boundary Layer
I'm not quite following what others are complaining about with the active steering. I guess I'll just have to switch it off and note the difference for myself.

No need my friend! I have just turned it on again and whooooooo it makes catching the car in a drift sooo much smoother. My previous statement still stands when it comes to grip driving but this is a drift thread!

Cheers BL 👍

Active steering definitely helped with the weird oversteer and snapping I was getting, and made the car behave more like I was used to with the DF (non pro), but it seemed to make the feedback and centering even more dull... So far I've mostly been trying with strong feedback and everything off, thinking AS would be sort of a 'crutch' like ASM.. but it seems it's pretty much needed if I want to be able to link/counterdrift consistently...at least while I'm trying to learn it

I really wish the DFP had more (or more erm constructive) feedback... I can't seem to feel what the car is up to while countersteering at all, even with power assist off and strong setting.

------------------------------------------

Edit (no need to double post):
I'm a bit confused about the DFP settings atm.. I was trying hard with active steering ON and power assist OFF, which turned out not to work at all for me.. but it seems like any other combination of settings are manageable :odd:

I'm sticking with Active Steering ON, Power Assist OFF, Feedback STRONG for now.. those settings seem to provide a little bit of slack/understeer while keeping some feedback and weight.

Finally getting more confident with the DFP after this discovery (took me long enough to realize that the settings might play such a big difference :ouch: ) At last I can start managing my footwork while using 900 degrees of steering, weight shifting seems vastly more important compared to when I used the 200 degree steering...

Dfp FF on strong
steering on simulation
assist off....assist sounds wussy to me...
and with it on the car feels really numb my thoughts...

droptopmazda
How do you adjust the DFP

Ok go to your garage/home, go to options, Scroll down untill you see the list of controller/wheel settings, Click on "wheel settings" and there you go.

OR

200 to 900 degree mode with the DFP = hold select, R3 and press the RIGHT paddle

Feedback = hold Select, R3 and press the left paddle. The left light will flash once for mild force feedback and twice for strong

Ske
I'm sticking with Active Steering ON, Power Assist OFF, Feedback STRONG for now.. those settings seem to provide a little bit of slack/understeer while keeping some feedback and weight.

Finally getting more confident with the DFP after this discovery (took me long enough to realize that the settings might play such a big difference ) At last I can start managing my footwork while using 900 degrees of steering, weight shifting seems vastly more important

AS i mentioned above i too thought that active steering sounded "wussy" and i hated the way it behaved during grip driving. Now i have really gotten into drifting i have explored this avenue again and its a wonderfull change. The wheel doest feel so unforgiving and its more eager to do what you want it to, by no means is it easyer though. I too, have now found that my settings now make a huge difference. I was talking to swift yesterday about spring rates and was amazed at the different levels of grip i could have just by moving the rates from 9.4 to 10.2. Its helped me with feint drifing and especially tightening my line using the brake during a drift as i feel more comfortable with the wheel and im not expecting the DFP to try and rip my arms off if i dont give it 200% attention.

Boundary Layer
I've been using active steering on, power assist on, FF on strong (only by coincidence do these match Mike's settings)
then I reduce the FF at the wheel with select, r3, left paddle.

I've had my fair share of problems learning to drift on the DFP, but these settings are what feel best to me. I haven't felt any need to change them in months (I think September may have been the last time - right when I got on xlink).

I think that's the same setting that I use. Reducing the FF with the wheel itself makes things much easier, to me. Not to mention its a whole lot quieter. My biggest problem with drifting with the DFP is dialing out the oversteer to recover a drift. I can do it alright about 80% of the time, but I still fishtail a little after the recovery. Would this be something easily fixed with suspension setup or do I just need a little more practice?

If you set the FF to the weaker option, is it the same result as changing it through the wheel?

Ebiggs
If you set the FF to the weaker option, is it the same result as changing it through the wheel?

I do not know for sure but i assume so because there are only 2 setting in the gt4 menu and 2 settings using the wheel. i will see tonight when i get home from work, i know mines set to strong so i will change it at the wheel then see if its changed in the menu

Ebiggs
I can do it alright about 80% of the time, but I still fishtail a little after the recovery. Would this be something easily fixed with suspension setup or do I just need a little more practice?

I would just suggest more practice. If you aren't spinning out after every drift, then 👍, I'd say you are on the right track. Just take a little more time to become more precise with your steering at the exit. You'll know when you have it right - you unwind the drift and as you get the wheel to dead center the car straightens right out. The wheel won't tug at you one way or the other. It's a good feeling.

In a lot of my drifts though (especially coming out of high speed ones), I still have to give a slight sawing motion to the wheel at the exit of the drift to keep the car point straight.

I'm not entirely sure.
To me it feels like there are 4 different FF settings:

Strong
Strong - reduced at the wheel
Mild
Mild - reduced at the wheel​

Mild reduced at the wheel practically turns FF off. Strong reduced at the wheel still feels as though it has a bit more feedback than the mild setting, imo - but test for yourself.

Boundary Layer
I'm not entirely sure.
To me it feels like there are 4 different FF settings:

Strong
Strong - reduced at the wheel
Mild
Mild - reduced at the wheel​

Mild reduced at the wheel practically turns FF off. Strong reduced at the wheel still feels as though it has a bit more feedback than the mild setting, imo - but test for yourself.

Your bang on the money, i just tested this a few moments ago and your correct.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm getting a video capture card for Christmas, so I'll put some videos up then.

I still feel no difference with active steering on or off. So...........I'll just leave it off.

I've never had a problem using strong (full force at wheel) active off, and the df settings default (they don't matter when using DFP)

I love my force feedback, all of my drifting control comes from the feel of the wheel incase any of you actually read some of my (long) posts in other treads about it, then you know what I'm talking about.

BUMP! For the one that posted the How do YOU drift with your DFP?

I drift 2 footed, 2 hands with one always close to the.....round thing...lol. Just use one finger to push the round thing to shift into lower gear. Going into higher is required only on straights and I can just hold my hand on the round thing again till I'm gonna drift.....thats 2 handed again:)

I have my active steering off and FF on mild. The FF was keeping me from turning the wheel fast enough to be able to counter the more sharply angled drifts but when I turned it down, it really made the car alot easier to control.

I raced with the AS on and it seemed.. I dunno.. just didnt feel right. And not a tangible feeling like the feel of the wheel. Felt like... hrm... kinda how you feel when you control a slide versus how you feel when the ASM controls the slide.

I dont know about most of you but when the FF on strong locks up it really pisses me off. I wish there was a wheel with a proper gearbox (there probably is I just havent heard about it). I find the wheel to be useless when you are trying to hold a car straight going 430km/h on Le Sarthe, the FF throws it out, I'll go try turn the mild feedback down with the wheel, see if it makes a difference like Boundary Layer suggests.

I dont know about most of you but when the FF on strong locks up it really pisses me off. I wish there was a wheel with a proper gearbox (there probably is I just havent heard about it). I find the wheel to be useless when you are trying to hold a car straight going 430km/h on Le Sarthe, the FF throws it out, I'll go try turn the mild feedback down with the wheel, see if it makes a difference like Boundary Layer suggests.

I remember reading somewhere that discussed the same issue. The solution was to turn off vibration for the DS2 controller in the game, and unplug the DS2 controller while playing. Aparently it affects the FF on the DFP, particularly at high speeds.

I use these settings all the time, when grip or drift racing:

AS: Off
FF: Strong
PS: Off

It does lead to problems with regaining grip too soon, especially on softer tires. I usually run R1 or R2s, and it is generally OK on those. With practice I've gotten much better with these settings, so it is possible to use them if you wish, it is just more difficult. For me, the key setting is AS. ON makes for easier control and drifting, but OFF makes for much better responsiveness and more precise control, and the expense of "ease".

I drift mostly RR and MR cars, so I'm talking about what I've seen referred to as "speed drifting" here, not exhibition drifting. I'm almost never drifting an entire lap, and use these settings because I find turning AS on deadens the car's responsiveness tremendously and causes gobs of understeer in general.

(For those not noticing the difference, it is most noticeable on tight tracks with extremely agile cars. Try The Elise IIIR with the AS OFF around Citta Di Arria, then try it with AS ON, and you'll feel the difference as you understeer straight into walls repeatedly!)

Hey guys im using the g25 to drift. Is it possible to set FF on the g25 like you do on the DFP via certain button codes?

Also, dont wanna make another thread. But Im having trouble with setups. Ive tried some from here[the bid drift archive thread] but it feels like they are mostly setup for the Ds2 controller and the big archives of drift setups dont list if its for Wheel or Ds2.

How good are the Intec wheels? I'm pretty sure I have an Intec wheel and I'm not sure how long it's been but it was pretty hard to drive with it. The steering response was extremely poor, but I didn't realize there were settings you could change for the wheel. So does anyone know anything about the Intec racing wheel?

Back