Differences of using the clutch for shifting

wildchild_pr
Hi:

Just to know if you notice the differences of using the clutch during shifting?

When the clutch is used to shift it feels & hears more real than when skipping the clutch; by the way i think is cool to use it always.

Any opinions or experiences??

not from me, I just paddle up and paddle down while shifting!:dopey:

I just used the cluch to get "S" on that cursed DR level 18 stage 4 (the Caerham drifting one).

It's one of those where the results of your tries are like this:

failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-failed-"S" :D

Enthusia does more of a "power shift" going between gears, as opposed to Gran Turismo, which allows the RPM to drop before engaging the clutch (as you would in real life if you owned the car :dopey: ). You're also doing the same thing by doing the clutch "manually" in EPR.

In many cases the difference isn't that noticeable, but in GT4 it can make driving a car like the S2000 or GSX-R/4 -- which rev high and don't drop RPM all that quickly -- frustrating.

"Gan-san" Kurosawa actually mentions this in his interview. :)

Hi:

Thanks for the great info, but I am bit confused.

Question:

1) Does the game is designed to use always mannualy the clucth during shifting? or should be use like gt4 semi-automatically?

Note:

I know that in real life cars you hear the gearshift lag and not the direct feel like in race cars.

I don't even think the clutch was intended to be used for shifting. It's just there as sort of a gimmick.

A gimmick is a little trick, used so they can sell better, or say they have it.
so if the clutch is a gimmick, they only made a clutch so you have one, not so you use it.

I think that there is a difference in using the clutch and that it isn't a gimmick. If you look carefully, when you downshift not using the clutch there is a kind of jerkiness to downshifting - also the revs drop a lot more. If you downshift using the clutch, it's a smoother shift and the revs do not drop as much. I think i can turn in a quicker lap by using the clutch.

Also by using the clutch you can use the heel-to-toe technique. I definitely notice a difference downshifting but not much of one during an upshift.

The clutch in Enthusia makes sense and does a good job to add more depth to the simulation. There's a some advanced driving tricks you can do with the clutch that allow you to control how the car shifts weight when entering a corner if used properly during down shifts, rev matching, and heel toe. I've managed to build a clutch into my DFP wheel and have worked it just as I would in real life and the clutch is in the game is great. Only wish GT4 was as advanced.

You guys work at NASA, or something like that?!?!?! If I ever tried to do what you did I would end up with no wheel at all ... :crazy:

Back