DIRT 5: General Discussion

How good does current gen look on your console?
No.
Edit:

Yeah current gen looks pretty damn good on my consoles! Look at GT Sport and Forza Horizon.

This is just larger terrains perhaps with a little partical affects with Dirt 4 engine. Look at Driveclub which is 6 years old almost. Not Impressed

It'll be 120fps on series X. It's cross gen mate, it's not gonna look amazing.

Yeah, WRC looks the same as current gen also which is cross gen.

Will probably have to wait for Dirt Rally 3 which will be next gen exclusive perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
EXbV4FHXYAMpZPL

It looks like beautiful graphics, I saw in the GTP article there was a photo mode but couldn't see it in the blog (any more details on that @PJTierney ) It has a hint of the Evo/Driveclub/Onrush vibe to the tracks and cars to me.

Funny you mentioned Driveclub, because the new team working on Dirt 5 are more or less the Driveclub guys. I think Dirt5 looks better than Driveclub in this footage.

Yeah, that night scene in the snow reminds me of driveclub. The game is for current gen also which is understandable why it looks like dirt 4.

Didn't Evolution Studios leave Codemasters??

Have to admit the info and trailer looks good....though I have Dirt 2 and 4 and hardly play them.
I'm not keen on racing on ice though....neither rain.

I saw in the GTP article there was a photo mode but couldn't see it in the blog (any more details on that @PJTierney )
Oh, and each car will be visually customisable through DIRT 5’s nuanced livery editor, with more editing options than any previous DIRT game. Once you’re done designing, snap your greatest moments with a dedicated Photo Mode, capturing ever jump, scrape and slide.
http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/05...codemasters-game-launching-from-october-2020/

Am I the only one that think it looks trash? Even current gen the graphics and gameplay looks rubbish. Definitely an arcade direction here. It will be super cheesy and super Hollywood-esq... which on the older Dirt games 2 and 3 I did kinda enjoy... but I've grown up a bit now... won't be for me this.

Still plenty to do on PS4, the only 2 games that will make me buy PS5 is GT7 and GTA6.

A little floating but I finally got my Dirt Rally 2 plat :)

Meh. Happy that it's not full electrics, but it lacks (for the moment) what I loved most of Dirt 2: arcade rally and huge open areas.

I like any kind of racer. But I prefer Dirt 2 over Showdown. I hope we get a next gen Dirt 2 or a triple A quality Gravel. I love the last, but it just screams cheap everywhere.

PS: With open areas I'm refering to those point to point races.
I'm playing through Gravel right now. Such a fun game, which feels like it has the spirit of Dirt 2. You are right though that it could do with some AAA polish.

The tracks in Dirt 5 look really closed off. I really miss the Trailblazer events from Dirt 2 and 3, and it doesn't look like they are returning.

Looks very Motorstorm-y, which is good. However, I felt burned by the inconsistent physics of GRID (a game I was actually optimistic for, why are the kerbs more unforgiving than any sim I've played?), sooo, I hope that's not an issue here!

For those wondering where the graphical leap is.

2 things.

first, if those images are truly in game, the cars themselves look amazing. Completely smooth curves on all surfaces. Things that are meant to be round are completely round like the grill and lights on the mustang.

secondly. Even though the ps4 and Xbox one were easier to work on than previous consoles. The graphical leap over time has been insane.

compare assassins creed black flag on ps4 to assassins creed odyssey also on ps4.

Attachments

• EEAE926B-06F3-460C-9E76-2B9146322FB5.png
    EEAE926B-06F3-460C-9E76-2B9146322FB5.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 180E0256-E221-4E8A-8B2E-B0CD9058B107.jpeg
    180E0256-E221-4E8A-8B2E-B0CD9058B107.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 42
Yeah current gen looks pretty damn good on my consoles! Look at GT Sport and Forza Horizon.

This is just larger terrains perhaps with a little partical affects with Dirt 4 engine. Look at Driveclub which is 6 years old almost. Not Impressed

Dirt 4 engine with better partical effects and larger terrain is just Evolution upgraded Ego engine for Onrush:

Dirt 5 does look a bit better compared to Onrush.

Am I the only one that think it looks trash? Even current gen the graphics and gameplay looks rubbish. Definitely an arcade direction here. It will be super cheesy and super Hollywood-esq... which on the older Dirt games 2 and 3 I did kinda enjoy... but I've grown up a bit now... won't be for me this.

Still plenty to do on PS4, the only 2 games that will make me buy PS5 is GT7 and GTA6.

A little floating but I finally got my Dirt Rally 2 plat :)
Trash? Way OTT

Pre-order is up on Steam:

There is an "Amplified Edition" that comes with:
Amplified Edition players have three ready-to-race cars in their garage (Ariel Nomad Tactical, Audi TT Safari, VW Beetle Rallycross), three-player sponsors with fresh objectives, rewards and liveries, and content for features yet to be revealed – all exclusive to Amplified Edition, along with boosts to currency and XP earnings.

Post launch content includes:
including a minimum of 12 new cars, 60 new Career events, new player sponsors with fresh rewards and liveries, and more items for features yet to be revealed…

And the pre-order bonus:
Pre-order DIRT 5 now to receive the Ford F-150 Raptor PreRunner by Deberti Design!

Thanks Famine, I must have a been a bit tired last night and completely missed the second half of the sentence. :cheers:

Confirmed that the game is developped by Codemasters Chesire, the team that made OnRush: https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/0...ers-cheshire-evo-onrush-driveclub-motorstorm/

Looks like they started working on the game right after the launch of OnRush: https://www.codemasters.com/career-opportunities-cheshire/

I knew as soon as I saw the trailer it had the DC/Onrush vibes, the lightning strikes, tyres, colours. I think I took too many photos in both :boggled:! The good news from this is the photo mode will be awesome with loads of settings and great post processing magic like the other two.👍

"The official announcement post also reveal a brand new mode, never before seen in the DIRT franchise, which Codemasters is keeping under wraps for now."

I think is the coop split-screen mode that just can use on the career history mode too (they mentions that on the Steam Page)

Local split-screen up to four players on offline modes, including Career, makes DIRT 5 the perfect couch multiplayer racing game as you battle for position with your friends.

Hopefully they make this online too..

Yeah but this is the Xbox Series X version. Looks the same as Dirt 4
Is a in-engine trailer, and no, looks better that Dirt 4 and even Dirt Rally 2.0.

Watching the trailer makes me wonder how the cars will be grouped together. Would a old mustang really be competitive with a Citroën R5 on dirt?

BOYS!

I'm all up for arcade racing games. Easy to play, easy to have fun.

When i get bad days in DR2.0 or PCARS, i just load my PS3 again with some DiRT 2/3, or even GRID, and everything gets happy again. I love when you can turn your brain off and go ham on the track (no, no, that's how you play Sport Mode...).

The only thing that gets me worried is, obviously, Codemasters.
Just look at GRID 2019. No content and, for some reason, the 'arcade' part of the game seems a little bit off for me. And there's also the fact that DR2.0 DLCs are pretty much the same content from DR1 (don't even try to argue with me. This is BS) or the fact that every F1 game is heading for the same path as FIFA/PES games...

Still... October 2020. Right around the corner.

After seeing the trailer a couple of times it looks pretty good actually. That Thunder and lightning reminds me of Driveclub and to read that members of the same team are involved has me interested.

Looks like a fun experience.

Back