DIRT 5: General Discussion

Formula Offroad and rock bouncers looks to be new car classes. The way they are listing those car classes on the event poster, I'm hoping we will get races with mixed classes.

Codemasters is really talented when it comes to UI design. Not only is the presentation great, but each game they make manages to have its own, unique aesthetic.

Bit more info on throwdowns at GamesRadar article:

"Throwdowns are like special one-off events that are kind of like palette-cleansers and are a bit different to your standard races. So it could be specific— you're in a buggy, and everyone else is in a truck, and you've got to get to the front. Or it might be that you're in a truck, and you've got to stop buggies getting past you."

Sounds like some of the late game event in Motorstorm Pacific Rift, I remember there was an event using a big rig against all opponent in bikes that I couldn't get gold.

Source: https://www.gamesradar.com/dirt-5-campaign-story-interview/

That menu could have been taken straight from Arctic Edge. Now there's narrative and multi-class racing. Whodda thunk the next Motorstorm would be a Dirt.

Also this is a "Superlite", wonder if it's one of these little buggers

%C2%A9-John-N.-Miller-2019_O0I7881-1-scaled.jpg

Dirt 5 launching on October 9th

Other than that, nothing new in the career video and it is mostly same info as the article from last week.

Codemasters are actually going all-in with bringing back DiRT 3 vibes, I wasn't expecting Gymkhana to return.

While they are bringing back arenas, they might as well bring back party modes for Multiplayer.

I think party modes should be coming back, all the talk about the game is how heavily influenced by Dirt 2 and 3. Just have to wait till September for any info on online content.

Dirt 5 Discord has another new screenshot:
VWBrazil1.jpg

The liveries in Dirt 5 sure looks awful so far, weird mix of bright colours, pattern and no decals.

The liveries in Dirt 5 sure looks awful so far, weird mix of bright colours, pattern and no decals.
I guess this game isn't for me but it's the internet so I'll have a rant anyway. What is the point of having licenced cars in this game? They could've saved some money and had a load of fictional cars. None of the cars will drive like the real cars (It's an arcade game, that's fine, I loved Dirt 2 and the original GRID), in the fake liveries they won't look like real cars either. An Evo 6 that you can't pretend to be Tommi Makinen in may as well be a Subaru.

Maybe I'm just being overly critical, there might be real cars hidden in the menus when the game releases.

Last edited:
I guess this game isn't for me but it's the internet so I'll have a rant anyway. What is the point of having licenced cars in this game? They could've saved some money and had a load of fictional cars. None of the cars will drive like the real cars (It's an arcade game, that's fine, I loved Dirt 2 and the original GRID), in the fake liveries they won't look like real cars either. An Evo 6 that you can't pretend to be Tommi Makinen in may as well be a Subaru.

The arcade market don't really care if it drives like a real thing or not but they do care enough that the cars are licensed. NFS handles nothing like a real car but it doesn't stop the community asking for a Mitsubishi Eclipse in it.

They said there is a livery editor and I guess you can still make your own Tommi Makinen livery but many of the livery in screenshots is just random pattern of bright colours and it just looks weird seeing it on these cars. I won't look good on a fictional car either.

Last edited:
The arcade market don't really care if it drives like a real thing or not but they do care enough that the cars are licensed. NFS handles nothing like a real car but it doesn't stop the community asking for a Mitsubishi Eclipse in it.

They said there is a livery editor and I guess you can still make your own Tommi Makinen livery but many of the livery in screenshots is just random pattern of bright colours and it just looks weird seeing it on these cars. I won't look good on a fictional car either.
I hope there is a livery editor but I cant remember one in any other Codemasters game. I expect a pattern selector with the option to change colours.

I hope there is a livery editor but I cant remember one in any other Codemasters game. I expect a pattern selector with the option to change colours.

They claim it is the most complex livery editor in any Codemasters games in their reveal article, it might be more than just pattern selection this time:

Oh, and each car will be visually customisable through DIRT 5’s nuanced livery editor, with more editing options than any previous DIRT game.

Source: http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/05...codemasters-game-launching-from-october-2020/

It looks nice. Reminds me of GRAVEL a little bit.
However, I don’t like the exterior cam movements. Also, I don’t know, it seems to lack the sensation of power and speed and the great collision physics of previous DiRT games. I think I’ll miss the good old EGO Engine.

It looks a lot like Gravel and I really like that but the circuit looks rather short.

*Edit
I notice the mini map seems to have a lot more cars, further in front and back seems to have groups of 3-4 cars.

Last edited:
It looks nice. Reminds me of GRAVEL a little bit.
However, I don’t like the exterior cam movements. Also, I don’t know, it seems to lack the sensation of power and speed and the great collision physics of previous DiRT games. I think I’ll miss the good old EGO Engine.

Interesting, I always assumed everything from Codies is gonna use Ego. Do you know what engine they're using for D5?

Looks like a lot of fun from those videos! This is the return to form the mainline DiRT series needed and I'm really looking forward to it. This pic on Discord shows how incredible the stage design is coming along:
Brazil.jpg

Back