DIRT 5: General Discussion

I most likely completely missed this but the Amplified Edition is only available digitally, right?

MXH
I most likely completely missed this but the Amplified Edition is only available digitally, right?

I think so, I remember reading that on discord. Retail copies do come with an extra pre order bonus car, Porsche Macan T1 Raid

I think so, I remember reading that on discord. Retail copies do come with an extra pre order bonus car, Porsche Macan T1 Raid
That’s a bummer. Don’t know how that flew under my radar.

Although, I see that there’s a Day One Edition. Can always pick up the Season Pass on a sale later on.

Great video from DF as usual.

Does anyone know how the game will perform on the current-gen base consoles? Can’t find any official information about it. Am I wrong to assume that it’s most likely a sub-30fps screen tear galore?

Will Dirt 5 feature replay mode? I think I haven't seen any race replays.
Will there be something like any car on any track or will the cars be limited to specific events/tracks?

Will Dirt 5 feature replay mode? I think I haven't seen any race replays.

I don't think there is any replay mode, don't see any buttons of it at the race end screen.

Will there be something like any car on any track or will the cars be limited to specific events/tracks?

I don't think there are that many restictions, I remember the hour long stream few days ago did mention Pathfinders event are locked to the rock bouncer car but I think the rest of the event are playable by a good variety of cars.

Early previews has T1 Raid trucks racing on Landrush, Stampede and Ultra Cross events, there is a footage of Formula Offroad on Ice Breaker events too:

But so far I think we only saw rally cars on Ice Breaker, Ultra Cross, Gymkhana and Rally Raid events, events with big jumps like Stampede and Landrush might be locked to buggies and trucks but buggies and tracks might be able to run all events except Pathfinders.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but the still lack of any footages for point to point (traditional) rally stages is rather concerning.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but the still lack of any footages for point to point (traditional) rally stages is rather concerning.

Dirt 5 won't be having any standard rally stages, the only point to point event in game is rally raid event and that is a multi car event as well. Rally raid on time trial is probably the closest you can get to standard rally.

Dirt 5 Game Modes list:

Ultra Cross — Mixing multiple terrains, unpredictable circuit design and challenging bends, Ultra Cross is your classic rallycross-style event, turned up to 11. Expect close pack racing, crossovers and incredible environments for these action-packed, circuit-based races.

Rally Raid —These point-to-point events are classic DIRT – thrilling routes through natural landscapes, where bravery and precision are key, as you’re behind the wheel of machines built for extreme off-road racing. High-speed sections, jumps, route splits and more keep you on your toes from start to finish in every Rally Raid event.

Landrush — Circuit-based events that are not for the faint of heart! Rough terrain, jolting jumps and technical sections are the order of the day for Landrush, taking place on either dirt or snow. Expect extreme weather and changing track conditions to mix things up big time in these pack racing events.

Ice Breaker – Minimal grip, maximum fun. Ice Breaker challenges you to master short circuits that take place entirely on ice, with flowing turns and idyllic environments. Throttle control, precise drifting and momentum are key to mastering this brand-new experience for the DIRT series. Better get your skates on!

Stampede — Hard, unforgiving natural landscapes, built for rough-and-ready machines with suspension and shock absorbers galore, Stampede circuits are tough, to say the least. Unmarked routes with major undulation over mud, sand and plenty more, buckle up for some serious pack racing fun with Stampede

Path Finder —You’ve never seen this kind of event before in a DIRT game. Path Finder lays down the gauntlet with some seriously hardcore off-road terrain, steep jumps and rock-strewn paths. Here, it’s not just about speed – it’s about strategy and survival. Use your rock bouncer to overcome these incredible single-car events against the clock.

Sprint — Here’s our event type built specifically for DIRT 5’s bonkers sprint car – 900bhp, huge wings, different sizes for all four wheels. Learn to tame this beast on our oval and circular tracks, with constant drift control required as you tear up the track in these unique multi-car races.

Gymkhana — It’s back! Jump, drift and donut your way to success in these high-octane stunt arenas, purpose-built for your automotive antics. Get sideways and airborne, and string together your moves to trigger multipliers and hit the target score within the time limit. Need we say more?

Time Trial — Feeling extra competitive? Time Trial lets you take any circuit or point-to-point event and make it just you against the track – oh, and everyone else who’s ever raced the same scenario. Lay down your best times in the single-car mode, and rise up that scenario’s global leaderboard.

Source: http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/07...-cars-and-features-revealed-gymkhana-returns/

Last edited:
DIRT 5 Car list revealed, featuring some quirky concepts including the Mitsubishi e-Evolution, VW ID Buggy and Audi AI:Trail:
142a7760-d3cb-11e9-9f99-ee79494678e9

Kind of sad that some of the modern rally cars got cut.
"Cut" implies they were planned to begin with* ;)

One thing to keep in mind is that just because a car is in Game X doesn't mean it'll be in Game Y. Different game design considerations, different licenses etc.

DIRT 5 places much less focus on rallying than DiRT Rally 2.0 for example.

*I'm not privy to what cars were shortlisted, just making a general point here.

What on earth does 'wheel support isn't quite there at launch' supposed to mean?

From the official Discord:

DIRT 5 WHEEL SUPPORT NEWS

As we near launch day, we want to give you an update on our wheel support, and our commitment to delivering a great experience for our wheel players. We are currently working with platform holders and wheel providers to test and refine DIRT 5's wheel support options, but it's taking a little longer than we planned.

It means that, on launch, there will be limited wheel support for DIRT 5. On Xbox consoles, wheel support will be temporarily disabled, whilst very limited options will be available for PlayStation consoles and PC.

We know this will be disappointing for some players. Releasing so many SKUs, including being a day-one title for next-gen consoles, creates an array of challenges. Rest assured that the DIRT 5 team has delivered a fantastic racing experience on pad, and we're committed to making sure that feeling will be there for wheel users too.

The team is already working on an update for wheel support, currently scheduled to roll out by the end of November. This update will further open up wheel compatibility for PS4, PC and Xbox One, allowing you to configure your setup to suit your wheel preferences. We are also working hard with our platform partners to ensure we have broad wheel support for PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. We'll include as many next-gen options as we can for November, but some may have to follow.

This update is a priority for the DIRT 5 team, and we'll have more news over the next couple of weeks.

OK, so the Eurogamer review is up...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...w-enjoyably-old-school-arcade-racing#comments

...and on one of the image is this:

View attachment 968992

What on earth does 'wheel support isn't quite there at launch' supposed to mean? Honestly, no wheel use at launch just rounds off the trifecta of disappointing driving games launches this year for me so far.
Trust me when I say that the game in no way merits wheel support - there's just not the depth to the handling (and particularly collision) model that would make it at all more enjoyable with a wheel.

Our review will be up shortly (in video form; it's just me this time, so I won't be watching it).

Back