DiRT Rally 2.0 Comes Free to PS Plus in April

Seems like a last resort attempt to impose this game on the masses. It's for the most part a great racing title that kind of flew under the radar, which is Codemasters own fault for having polluted the franchise with inferior products like DiRT 4. The pre-release marketing campaign for DR 2.0 was pretty bad as well. Hopefully this move will work as an eye-opener to more players.

The pre-release marketing campaign for DR 2.0 was pretty bad as well.
I wasn't around for pre-release campaign, as I was working at Konami at the time.

What specifically was "bad" about it? Might be good to know for future reference.

What specifically was "bad" about it? Might be good to know for future reference.

I'll just keep it short and focus on the trailers here... The announcement launch trailer failed to capture the diversity of the game. It didn't showcase that many cars and the action scenes were too brownish and gritty. That probably seemed fitting for a rally game named DiRT, but there's a fine line in not making making it look dull. I wouldn't blame anyone for not paying attention to it.

Then there was the original launch trailer, while slightly better in terms of showcasing the game's scope, it was ruined by music with lyrics. The generic rock music just seemed out of sync with the game and the ethos of the franchise.

The VW Polo was also a rather bad choice as the cover car when Codemasters didn't secure the rights to its official WRC livery.

You guys have stepped things up though. The GOTY launch trailer is much better. Rebranding the game with the Subaru Impreza S4 on the start-up screen was a nice touch as well (too bad it didn't become the GOTY cover car).

Seems like a last resort attempt to impose this game on the masses. It's for the most part a great racing title that kind of flew under the radar, which is Codemasters own fault for having polluted the franchise with inferior products like DiRT 4. The pre-release marketing campaign for DR 2.0 was pretty bad as well. Hopefully this move will work as an eye-opener to more players.

How is a game that is "free to download" being "imposed on the masses" exactly? Are you being forced to download all free PSN games? Blink twice if you are being held against your will. :eek:

It didn't showcase that many cars and the action scenes were too brownish and gritty.

I mean...the game literally has the name DIRT in the title. So the complaint is that the original announcement trailer failed to make the dirt look less dull? The scenes were too "brownish and gritty"? I have to admit, that is one complaint I never ever expected to read. :lol:

Last edited:
How is a game that is "free to download" being "imposed on the masses" exactly? Are you being forced to download all free PSN games? Blink twice if you are being held against your will. :eek:

You know what I mean.

I mean...the game literally has the name DIRT in the title. So the complaint is that the original announcement trailer failed to make the dirt look less dull? The scenes were too "brownish and gritty"? I have to admit, that is one complaint I never ever expected to read. :lol:

I'm not complaining. The Codemasters guy asked for more detailed feedback and I offered my perspective.

Take your confrontational crap somewhere else.

Finally finally got the last remaining trophy (Fire up that car again) and the platinum today, very nice timing.

It's not coincidence this is on PS Plus a week after the Colin McRae DLC was released but I don't know why people are suggesting Codemasters are shark developers, they really aren't, in fact they theyve been extremely generous. You can play DLC Locations and even earn the trophies without even owning it, that's very generous. Plus as well if you buy a season you get the Colin McRae DLC for free!

Very very good game and fantastic graphics and driving experience... definitely not really for the casual arcade like player. I would suggest taking it steady at first and progressively pushing.

Shame I already own this game otherwise I would be hyped! Highly recommend, there's also a platinum trophy to be hard as well with some hours put in. The hardest trophy is the one I mention above .

It's only so the Codies can flog the DLC.

But hey, the demo version is well worth downloading if it's free on PS Plus.
Why are you suggesting the base game is a demo? There's plenty of content and things to do. It's taken me probaly 60 hours to get the platinum so that isn't demo. You can actually play the DLC locations m by joining someone who does own it online

Last edited by a moderator:
Has to be one of the best month on PS+ ever. Wonder if we see more games added like these, since next gen is on the horizon.
I think killzone shadow fall will be comming soon.. Just a feeling..

Horizon... Well that's far away... I can just about see it... But it's apexing my sightline, with, the sky

Well I shall be adding this to my PS Plus library next week,

This is a game that I had thought about getting when it came out but then forgot about so is a "win" situation for me but I have to say it has been a good year so far in terms of PS Plus games so hopefully that will continue!

In the interest of saving time downloading dirt 2 when it's released on ps plus, if I download the dirt 2 demo do you think that will not need to down load the dirt 2 full game when it's released.

I was wondering the exact same thing! The demo is like a 70+gb download, so it must be the full game?

I asked Dirt, Codemasters and Ask PlayStation on Twitter...

"@Codemasters @dirtgame @AskPS_UK If I download the demo of Dirt Rally 2.0 onto my PS4 now, does that mean I won't have to download anything extra on Tuesday when it releases on PS+?"

Got a reply on Twitter from @dirtgame...

"In theory, no.

The Trial Version is the full game but with most of it locked away.

If that unlocks when PS+ then it's essentially a preload now for you.

You should download the Trial anyway and get practicing "

Last edited:
I was wondering the exact same thing! The demo is like a 70+gb download, so it must be the full game?
I asked Dirt, Codemasters and Ask PlayStation on Twitter...

"@Codemasters @dirtgame @AskPS_UK If I download the demo of Dirt Rally 2.0 onto my PS4 now, does that mean I won't have to download anything extra on Tuesday when it releases on PS+?"

Got a reply on Twitter from @dirtgame...

"In theory, no.

The Trial Version is the full game but with most of it locked away.

If that unlocks when PS+ then it's essentially a preload now for you.

You should download the Trial anyway and get practicing "
WOW good enough rational, I will download tonight.

Can’t find the demo in the UK PS Store

There is no "demo" version on the store, it's under the main game page. Go to the main Dirt Rally 2.0 page on the store, beside Add To Cart, there should be a Try Demo button.

Attachments

• 436D35E1-E727-4D63-8646-4D4C8B1D30FC.jpeg
    436D35E1-E727-4D63-8646-4D4C8B1D30FC.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 27
I thought this would have been free for PSplus members from April 7? Well it's April 7 now so I went to the PS Store to download it free but it says "Add to Cart $39.99". There's no free download of the full game that I see for PSplus members and I'm a PSplus subscriber? What gives?

Back