[Discussion] Do you still have faith in SMS in the project cars series

Interesting would be "a little bit of both"

Why not having good controller support, nice carrer mode but keep motorsport atmosphere intact with Pit-Stops and race weekend format which will add a lot of depth. Lets keep it easy to learn but hard to master. I think this would be perfect middleground.

This is the direction that would have pleased everyone, and created a truly memorable game.

Now, the real question is why they did not follow this (obvious) direction?
Limited budget?
Tight deadlines?
Stubborness?

Last edited:
I don't worry about it. If they make a good game, I buy. If they make an ok game, I buy during sale. If they make a bad game, I skip. I have faith that between Polyphony, Turn 10, CM, Kunos.... at least one of them is shipping a good game, and that's enough.

I had faith in SMS before they were sold to Codemasters, I like the WMD style of development and with more player input it manage to build a game that I really like. I never have faith in standard game company way of development, we never know what the sequel will have and what they are changing so I just judge them on each title when it release.

I like the WMD style of development and with more player input it manage to build a game that I really like. I never have faith in standard game company way of development, we never know what the sequel will have and what they are changing so I just judge them on each title when it release.

Considering they didn't officially unveil PC3 until it was pretty much ready for release I think they gave up on the whole WMD thing long before Codies got involved.

Last edited:
Considering they didn't officially unveil PC3 until it was pretty much ready for release I think they gave up on the whole WMD thing long before Codies got involved.

I think no one expected pCARS 3 to even be release for this gen. I certainly didn’t think a new WMD will happen anytime soon considering they were busy making FnF Crossroads and they likely spent a considerable amount of time planning for the Madbox console too.

I think pCARS 3 might be rushed to complete the Bandai Namco contract so Codemasters can have full control of SMS. All the branding still list Bandai Namco as publisher for pCARS 3 despite Codemasters own them now.

I still have faith that they are capable of creating a fun game (which I think pcars3 is).

But I won‘t trust a word about their future games, especially what Ian says. And that’s the problem, cause I think I’m not the only one. And that causes people to wait until they buy the game, if they end up buying it at all.

There's no doubt SMS has a very competent engineering and designing team. As long as they can keep focus and not be bothered by certain marketing and sales folks I think they'll be fine. :)

If referring to the simulation value for future entries then no; of course not after having been acquiered by Codemasters. That is for certain.

The Project Cars "projec"t ends with PC3 (actually ended with two since pc3 was not crowd-funded). Next game won't be even named after this series, that if SMS survives of course.., and yes, I'm thinking about their investment on the mad-box console which.., where is it btw?

Last edited:
This question largely circles around the point how you see the 'project cars series' right now. I for one have actually quite some confidence that SMS with the backing of Codemasters can create a very good game. But for me this series is about a combination of driving and motorsport simulation with a for consoles large amount of cars and tracks. As much as i hope the series returns to it's roots with the next iteration I wouldn't put my money on it.

That being said I really do believe that you can gain a huge market if you create a good sim with a lot of content that is accessible, however that won't be easy or cheap

Back