Do Cars Wear Out or Lose Performance Over Time?

• Thread starter BobDx123
  • 44 comments
United States
United States
Pretty much explains in the title, but I’ll extend the question a little.

Is there any reason, whether it be mileage, number of engine repairs, damage taken etc… that alters/degrades the performance or life of a car at all?

I’m asking because we have all the Gr.1 legendaries over this week and I’ve had to repair my 787 (engine & rigidity) twice this month. I want to make sure there isn’t need to buy a backup; they can’t be modified so there’s no option to buy new engine/body… can’t think of any other reason for getting another excerpt for visual/collecting purposes but want to make sure.

Edit: I’ve repaired 787 twice this past month, not over 2 months

Thanks ahead of time for all of your help,
as always much appreciated

Last edited:
Just making sure you do an oil change.
I do crazy amount of oil changes, I’ve never let it go below normal, often I’ll do before it has degraded down a level.

I’m curious though… has anyone tried skipping them? what happens? And what happens when people skip rigidity and engine repairs for a while?

Last edited:
@BobDx123

Yes there degrade after ca. 20000km or 4 engine repairs.
wow 😮 So 12,400 miles… I’m already at 7k, glad I brought this up.

What do we see happen after that point, is there a predictable path of deterioration?

Also, has there been any benefit from me doing the repairs immediately or is it same to drive “normal conditions” and fix before however much time before “bad/whatever” next level below is called? For example, couple days ago I changed the oil, did one race at Sardegna then all 3 dropped to normal and I repaired everything before going out again.

Edit: Additional Question…
For cars that can purchase new engine + body at tuning shop, does that reset this process or is it strictly for removing upgrades?

Last edited:
@BobDx123

You can change it and it stops but it remove all parts you buy for the engine.
it seems doing the oil change before it says normal speed up the process.
My first Sf19 i changed oil it says normal and it ends by 21000km. The next one i changed it after or before every session and it ends with 18000km.

My Tomahawk S started to lose PERMANENT Horsepower after about 10.000-12.000 km and it reached a permanent loss of 5 horsepower after 30.000km or so, and it now has 140.000km and it's still only at -5 horsepower from when new. It had 1021 CV new, and now it's at 1016.

I can't tell about the chassis though since I wasn't the one who drove it. (lol).

But the only way to restore your car's engine performance (and probably also chassis) is to buy a new Engine or new Chassis on the Tune Shop.
However, buying either of them takes away the engine and weight upgrades (aside from the widebody for whatever frickin reason), and it costs more than the car itself.

You might as well buy a duplicate than buy a new engine...
Don't want to offend anyone, but you would be an idiot if you bought a New Chassis because that costs 1.20x more than the actual car... Yes... PD was on some drugs when they came up with this.
The Engine costs 0.5x of the total price of the actual car itself, but it removes all the engines tunes, so this is only a good choice on cars that cost a couple of million credits or more.

Last edited:
Does buying a new engine solve this? Or is the car forever destined to be down on horsepower permanently and you're better off selling it back to the game?

Buying a new engine will restore the power lost but new engines are not available on every car.
Thanks. Was wondering about that, as this issue made me have some thoughts about this situation earlier today.

Have a question for @Chikane_GTR , @Grimm6Jack , @RacinLei , and anyone else who observed a cars performance drop…. In your experience was their an associated (pp) Performance Points drop along with either the “Actual” hp/torque decrease OR with how you felt the car was behaving sluggish/different?? Also, did any of your situations display other stats that changed such as “acceleration” “rotational g” “stability” etc..?

This discussion made me wonder if its possible to intentionally drop the pp level a bit so that certain cars that can’t be de-tuned enough through regular means to reach a particular pp level OR be able to lower pp from the car’s degrading rigidity to de-dune with a higher horsepower/torque

2 examples

1. Car A cannot be de-tuned enough to reach 800pp (or 950, 700, 600 etc…) but is close, could a degraded car help it reach that level so it can participate in new races?

2. Car B, lets say a newer Gr.1, when detuned to 800pp has a significantly worse power to weight ratio than the Gr.1 legendary classics. Can the cars pp be lowered from degrading Only the rigidity to maintain a better power to weight ratio when de-tuning?

Have a question for @Chikane_GTR , @Grimm6Jack , @RacinLei , and anyone else who observed a cars performance drop…. In your experience was their an associated (pp) Performance Points drop along with either the “Actual” hp/torque decrease OR with how you felt the car was behaving sluggish/different?? Also, did any of your situations display other stats that changed such as “acceleration” “rotational g” “stability” etc..?

This discussion made me wonder if its possible to intentionally drop the pp level a bit so that certain cars that can’t be de-tuned enough through regular means to reach a particular pp level OR be able to lower pp from the car’s degrading rigidity to de-dune with a higher horsepower/torque

2 examples

1. Car A cannot be de-tuned enough to reach 800pp (or 950, 700, 600 etc…) but is close, could a degraded car help it reach that level so it can participate in new races?

2. Car B, lets say a newer Gr.1, when detuned to 800pp has a significantly worse power to weight ratio than the Gr.1 legendary classics. Can the cars pp be lowered from degrading Only the rigidity to maintain a better power to weight ratio when de-tuning?

Yes, the PP does decrease because of both, the loss of HP (which is minimal) and the chassis itself, and yes, it doesn't behave as good as before.

Yes, the PP does decrease because of both, the loss of HP (which is minimal) and the chassis itself, and yes, it doesn't behave as good as before.
I can back this up 100%. As long as you restore the rigidity to the chassis it's pretty much impossible to tell the difference between a car with the oil being in the red and it needing an overhaul, and one with 0 miles on it. I have a newer copy of the Tomahawk S that I didn't use for the script and they run pretty much identical laps at all the time trials I've tested them in.

Keep meaning to do it with a lower power car, like the 930 turbo since I have a bunch of them, but it gets boring running the same car around just to put miles on it, lol. My guess is it'll lose the same ~0.5% horsepower that the Tomahawk permanently loses, which I believe started at 1006HP and is now at 1001HP, and has stayed there even with the oil being red and engine needing an overhaul for many thousands of miles.

So you technically lose engine performance, but it seems to be capped at less than 1% loss, so there really isn't any practical performance loss.

@BobDx123

I race a lot sf19 and notice a slitly change in terms of reffing out or low rpm performance by loosing 1bhp because of bad oil.
i didnt use the car anymore after loosing 1bhp through engine repair so i cant say its the same.
It is also a diffrent wich car you are using.
If you are running a tomahawk with 1000+ bhp you will less notice a loss of 1bhp then with a less powerfull car.
1bhp seems not effecting the pp system, i never get lower than that so i cant say it will effect the pp system by loosing more bhp.

2 examples

Lately I been using the Audi r18 2011 which I have at 799.99pp to do the 1 hour of spa and so far I'm at 500 miles with it I'll keep track on when it starts to lost hp and the engine becomes bad to see if pp decreases.

Last edited:
I overhauled the engine of my Porsche 919 more than 4 times, it only has 3000 miles on the clock. And indeed until now I did this to all my cars not knowing it damaged the HP in 4 attempts.

As you cannot buy a new engine for it I had to buy another and sell the damaged one at the UCD.

Now this is annoying. Where in the game does it tell you that this overhaul option damages your BHP so quickly? And why are cars so expensive to maintain in the first place?

I get they have gone for a real life kind of feel, but I feel this mechanic is both wholly undescribed in game, and a money making farce for Polyphony/Sony to milk your credits dry faster so you give them real cash instead.

I have 40 million, I flat out refuse to grind for cars anymore, (I grinded GT Sport legitimately and bought every single car). I will not do that in this game.

This is my last Gran Turismo game I buy.

Polyphony can go do one.

Last edited:
I overhauled the engine of my Porsche 919 more than 4 times, it only has 3000 miles on the clock. And indeed until now I did this to all my cars not knowing it damaged the HP in 4 attempts.

As you cannot buy a new engine for it I had to buy another and sell the damaged one at the UCD.
Why you did that 4 times when the first level of engine wear is when you get more than 5000 km?
Now this is annoying. Where in the game does it tell you that this overhaul option damages your BHP so quickly? And why are cars so expensive to maintain in the first place?
You need a lot of milage before you can see a significant drop in performance and the option to overhaul the engine is not that expensive for road or racing cars.
I get they have gone for a real life kind of feel, but I feel this mechanic is both wholly undescribed in game, and a money making farce for Polyphony/Sony to milk your credits dry faster so you give them real cash instead.
25, 50 or 100k credits after 5.000 km is hardly a reason for them to milk your credits.

Why you did that 4 times when the first level of engine wear is when you get more than 5000 km?

You need a lot of milage before you can see a significant drop in performance and the option to overhaul the engine is not that expensive for road or racing cars.

25, 50 or 100k credits after 5.000 km is hardly a reason for them to milk your credits.
Cos I have the money to keep the cars in top shape. So why wouldn't someone refresh all the options? Game does not tell you that if you do this 4 times it will be detrimental to your performance. Or did you not actually read what I wrote?

If you take part in competitive racing you don't want to find out on the track that your car needs to be refreshed. Especially if you lobby host like I do.

I disagree. Polyphony want all sorts of gimmicks that match real world pricing, car issues etc to make the game feel 'real'. That's fine. But with pitiful online payouts and a handful of the most grindiest races and economy in GT points to a bad in game economy that's aimed at macro transactions to fill their wallets and empty yours.

But I guess not everyone can see the bigger picture at play here.

Lately I been using the Audi r18 2011 which I have at 799.99pp to do the 1 hour of spa and so far I'm at 500 miles with it I'll keep track on when it starts to lost hp and the engine becomes bad to see if pp decreases.
To qoute this post my Audi r18 2011 is now down to 523hp from 532hp and its still at 799.99pp.

Overall I really don't pay much attention to this stuff my p1 gtr is close to 2000 miles and I haven't changed oil on yet.

Cos I have the money to keep the cars in top shape. So why wouldn't someone refresh all the options? Game does not tell you that if you do this 4 times it will be detrimental to your performance. Or did you not actually read what I wrote?

If you take part in competitive racing you don't want to find out on the track that your car needs to be refreshed. Especially if you lobby host like I do.

I disagree. Polyphony want all sorts of gimmicks that match real world pricing, car issues etc to make the game feel 'real'. That's fine. But with pitiful online payouts and a handful of the most grindiest races and economy in GT points to a bad in game economy that's aimed at macro transactions to fill their wallets and empty yours.

But I guess not everyone can see the bigger picture at play here.
I did read what you said and that's why I'm confused. Why did you rebuild your engine 4 times in less than 3000 miles when there's no need to do that?

The only thing you need to do is change oil. It's only a temporary loss of performance. Change your oil and your car will be back at top shape with maximum hp again.

Rebuilding your engine should be done only after 5000km, which is the distance you need to drive to reach the first level of Engine wear, making it go from Excellent to Normal.

At some point, overhauling the engine won't be enough to make it new again and the loss of performance is permanent, but then we're talking about 2-3 engine rebuilds, which is 10000-15000km and the loss of performance is something like less than 5hp. That's A LOT of kilometers.

lol at this dingdong rebuilding his engine every ten miles for no reason and then getting mad about losing 1hp.
Childish comment. Are you here to have a conversation or insult other members? Either way, disregarded.

I did read what you said and that's why I'm confused. Why did you rebuild your engine 4 times in less than 3000 miles when there's no need to do that?

The only thing you need to do is change oil. It's only a temporary loss of performance. Change your oil and your car will be back at top shape with maximum hp again.

Rebuilding your engine should be done only after 5000km, which is the distance you need to drive to reach the first level of Engine wear, making it go from Excellent to Normal.

At some point, overhauling the engine won't be enough to make it new again and the loss of performance is permanent, but then we're talking about 2-3 engine rebuilds, which is 10000-15000km and the loss of performance is something like less than 5hp. That's A LOT of kilometers.
Of course. Tell me, does it specify this in game or did you learn it from in game experience or information from here? As if it's in game I've missed where it tells me 4 engine overhauls lose you horsepower.

I always drive different cars and I don’t grind any of the events, so I doubt I’ll ever get to experience these concerns. Two oil changes per year on average and that’s it.

Of course. Tell me, does it specify this in game or did you learn it from in game experience or information from here? As if it's in game I've missed where it tells me 4 engine overhauls lose you horsepower.
It's not the 4 engine overhauls that caused the degradation, its the mileage that you've put on the car (presuming that you did the overhauls when the game told you the engine status went to yellow). If you did the 4 overhauls with only limited mileage in between, then yes I reiterate everyone else's assessment that such was a stupid move.

Sorry M8

Last edited:
Sorry M8

Hey mate. The only mature response so far. Thanks my guy. Answered my question.

I see that even on your post you had degenerate comments from immature users. Guess that's why I'm not on here much. Full of stupid kids who think it's Reddit 🤣

Thanks again Lei

Last edited:
Just making sure you do an oil change.
.. FACT!

.. no matter what, and I mean no matter what, after every single race, first things first, oil change, car wash, my own superstition if you may.. but I do know one thing, everytime I get back in any of my cars I check it in the tune shop & they're always "excellent".. that's all I need to know & that's all that matters..

NW.

I do crazy amount of oil changes, I’ve never let it go below normal, often I’ll do before it has degraded down a level.

I’m curious though… has anyone tried skipping them? what happens? And what happens when people skip rigidity and engine repairs for a while?
I had a car that I just decided to skip oil changes for no particular reason, it got down to red or “poor” if I remember correctly, and HP did start to drop noticeably. Though, I didn’t ever change the oil, so I don’t know if it’d taken increased permanent damage. I also haven’t had access to the game since mid-August, so I can’t really test anything either, in fact I don’t actually remember what car it was (I want to say it was the drift LS swapped Silvia). Sorry to not be much more helpful than that.

Last edited:
it seems doing the oil change before it says normal speed up the process.
My first Sf19 i changed oil it says normal and it ends by 21000km. The next one i changed it after or before every session and it ends with 18000km.
You'd think pre-emptive oil changes would protect the engine instead of making it lose power faster...

Back