Do you start races if not in pole position?

• Thread starter ORGNDTND
  • 64 comments
There is nothing wrong with only starting to race when you've put a Qualifying lap in around your best pace but if everyone quit every race that they weren't on pole for they'd be no actual racing going on. You may as well have just used the pit glitch at that point.

Then again sometimes you can have a better race when you don't set a representative time too, it all depends on who you get put up against. At the Gr3 at Brands the other day I had a good couple of races fighting through, once from 8th to 3rd (helped by an odd guy pitting) the others were overtakes, very enjoyable even though had I Qualified where I should have, I may have been able to win. Then I did set a proper Qualifying lap, around half a second quicker and the next two I went from pole unchallenged to win, definitely not as fun as before.

To start with I was mostly starting on pole and winning the race. I think I probably won 40 of my first 50 races. It was pretty boring really.

Now I am finally an S/S driver I’m very rarely on pole. In fact I prefer only doing a few laps qualifying and starting 5th-10th. Racing with others is so much more fun than leading start to finish (see my other thread for a fun race).

Although now I feel pressure to spend more time qualifying (boring) just to help keep my DR at S level. Damn my vanity!

I finish every race I start. Unless some reallife stuff happens and I absolutely can'.t

I very rarely drop a position from my qualification spot unless I've been rammed off the track during the last lap. I'm much better at chasing than leading.

It's one way to avoid first turn carnage, my mind does not work that way though so to me each grid position I find myself in has it's own unique challenges.

I start races when I'm not on the pole. 👍

I always try to get the best time possible on the time trial as don't like starting races if not going to win.

Not getting pole is also part of the experience, is not possible to always start in pole, always will be someone that is better than you, just do your best and have fun.

I've only had one pole since moving up to B DR - I'd have been short of races for the last 2 months if I followed your example......

I always try to get the best time possible on the time trial as don't like starting races if not going to win.

I'm between C and D.

I prefer being in D as when I win a few races I get moved up to C and against tougher opponents and less likely to win.
Each to their own obviously, but that really is quite pathetic.

Of course I start the race, in fact, if it is a circuit that I know well and I can pick my favorite car (Corvettes!) I will start from last position without qualy time. Just for fun!

Then if I feel I'm doing well on the track I may probably take some minutes to do some qualy laps and see what happens.

In my case, only reason (besides real life stuff) to not start a race is when I feel that I won't be able of keep a clean race (not knowing the track, uncomfortable car, simply distracted by anyother thing). In that situation I may not race until the next day and just play offline.

To start with I was mostly starting on pole and winning the race. I think I probably won 40 of my first 50 races. It was pretty boring really.

Now I am finally an S/S driver I’m very rarely on pole. In fact I prefer only doing a few laps qualifying and starting 5th-10th. Racing with others is so much more fun than leading start to finish (see my other thread for a fun race).

Although now I feel pressure to spend more time qualifying (boring) just to help keep my DR at S level. Damn my vanity!

I sought of know the feeling, it's better to not climb the ladder than to climb the ladder and live in fear of falling off.

I sought of know the feeling, it's better to not climb the ladder than to climb the ladder and live in fear of falling off.

Haha! The fear is real! I fell off straight away and it hurt!

In my first race after becoming S/S I got punted off the track and then later I missed the pit lane twice! I was not expecting that pit lane entrance !!! (Bathurst)

Needless to say I went straight back to A/A.

The other day in the Gr.3 Daily at nurb 24hr, I qualified on pole, but stupidly spun in turn 1. I was shuffled all the way back to 12th. Made up 15-20 seconds over the next 2 laps and won the race making a pass in the last turn! I won by .012 seconds. I don't care where I start on the grid. You always have a chance to win the race.

The other day in the Gr.3 Daily at nurb 24hr, I qualified on pole, but stupidly spun in turn 1. I was shuffled all the way back to 12th. Made up 15-20 seconds over the next 2 laps and won the race making a pass in the last turn! I won by .012 seconds. I don't care where I start on the grid. You always have a chance to win the race.

Do you have the replay? I'd love to see that comeback! Nice job and I totally agree.

Weird logic in the thread, from the OP. 2 each his own u guess. I don't care where I start love good clean racing in the middle of the pack tho. I have 4 poles and have only won 2 of those races.

Starting high up the grid (not nessesarily on pole), getting punted off and ending up in last place but then working back up to a high position by the end.
That’s some of the best races I’ve had.
I have more fun with those than any race starting pole and winning.

OP, this will blow your mind, but it can be even more fun not qualifying at all!
Start at the back and see how many places you can make. Best fun ever and a damn good challenge

Do you start races if not in pole position?

What a boring way to play.

I guess from this, you have no experience in overtaking cleanly. You'll never become a good driver with that approach I'm afraid.

Slipstreaming and overtaking are some of the best bits of racing. Why would you choose to exclude them?

Back