Dodge SRT-4

Scotland
Scotland
IMG0015.jpg

IMG0014.jpg

IMG0009.jpg

IMG0008.jpg

Hey, you're from the SRT Forums site. Seen your topic over there about these screen shots. 👍 Really want to join the SRT-4 family, but just don't make enough money right now... :guilty:

GT3man2001
Hey, you're from the SRT Forums site. Seen your topic over there about these screen shots. 👍 Really want to join the SRT-4 family, but just don't make enough money right now... :guilty:
yep from srtforums and nothing wrong with the neon...srt-4's better though

built up from the eclipse? no no no, says who, the SRT-4 was built up from a Neon, it IS a Neon, an impressive neon, but a Neon nonetheless.

Dodge has nothing to do with the Eclispe, sure, their owned by Chryser which owns Eagle, but even then it isn't based on the Talon, the lines are way too different, the drivetrain is way to different, there is no similarity.

like i said before, its a Neon.

that being said, i have no problems with the SRT-4, not my first choice, but far from a my last choice (i'd actually Prefer the Sentra SE-R Spec V over it, not because its faster because its not, but because i prefer the styling and the performance isn't a slouch either. i damn PD for testing an SE-R Spec V and then leaving it out of the final product!)

incubusnb
built up from the eclipse? no no no, says who, the SRT-4 was built up from a Neon, it IS a Neon, an impressive neon, but a Neon nonetheless.

Dodge has nothing to do with the Eclispe, sure, their owned by Chryser which owns Eagle, but even then it isn't based on the Talon, the lines are way too different, the drivetrain is way to different, there is no similarity.
Uhh... The DSM's were a join project by Mitsu and Chrylser, and included the Eagle Talon, the Mitsubishi Eclipse, and the Plymouth Laser. Chrylser and Mistubishi have teamed up too many times in the past to list really. Starion/Conquest, 3000GT/Stealth, the 2.6 HEMI, just to name a few.

That said, Neons are awesome at the track(road tracks, not talking about drag racing) and are alot better cars then you guys make them out to be.

Turbo Skittle

SRT4 - turbo=Neon

Its sstill a neon...............but hell i would love to own one....but i dout i will.......got any pics of yours

The only way a Neon is based off an Eclipse is if they use the same chassis. Since I know crap about Chrystler products, I couldn't answer this.

The Trans Am was based off the Camaro, since they used the same chassis (F series). Long live the Trans Am/Firebird legend!

The SRT-4 is a neon with a PT Cruiser turbo engine in it. Great bang for the buck. Go figure, a neon that can do 150 mph stock. Give it less than $5K and you'll have a faster quarter mile than a vette. Seeing that the car can be bought for $18k it is definately a great value.

cost to own is around $379/month for 60 moths @ around 5% APR

Not bad at all...for a "neon" :sly:

the only thing this car really shares with the eclipse is that it has a mitsubishi turbo in it. Stage 3R lightweight with BFG drag slicks has an 11.84 quarter mile. Better value for the money? Name it.

Bad understeer under heavy acceleration though. I only wish it was a mid engine rear drive vehicle. 60/40 f/r weight distribution. The one thing I don't like about some of the pictures I've seen here is that the tires are weak. Most of the SRT-4s have the BF Goodrich KDW tires. Nice bucket "viper inspired" seats too!

I heard one today and it is very plausible they have no mufflers. The reviews say it has no mufflers. I believe them. But my parents say it's not possible(illegal). After hearing them multiple times I know there is no muffler under there.

no way it would bet the vette in the 1/4.............it cant ever hang with a STI or EVO MR..

**** it can barely keep up with a 350...........(weel they are like tied but anyways)

Let me clarify....

stock 230 wheel horsepower 250 torque 13.9 quarter mile

for less than $5k (with installation) you CAN beat a vette, EVO and STI with the stage 3 Mopar upgrades. I believe it was Sport Compact Car that did a review of the stage 3R lightweight. The article was featured on the cover. "American Psycho" was the name of the article. And yes, it will hang with the big boys. They mentioned that the SRT-4 Stage 3R was the most powerful FWD car they had ever tested.

Think about it for less than $25k you can have a very nice street machine. The nice thing is you can get a stage 3 FINANCED from the dealer since it is a "factory installed" option. Before everyone knocks the "neon", think about it. A sub $20K car that has very close numbers to the Nissan 350z and almost identical numbers to the 2004 Mustang GT. It's easy on insurance too, mine is only $87/ month full coverage.

...I didn't know that factory upgrade information until AFTER I bought mine. Besides $450/month was just over my payment threshold.

...and you are correct, they do NOT have "mufflers". They have resonators. The factory upgrades actually make the SRT-4 sound even more mean than it does already (more "burbly"). The Stage 1 is ECU change that gives 10 more HP and 10 more torque. Nice turbo hold as well as nicer sound. $329 at ModernPerformance.com. I actually got $5 off a bet with some guy. I told him if he could find the mufflers on my car I'd give him the money, if he couldn't...

Omologato
Uhh... The DSM's were a join project by Mitsu and Chrylser, and included the Eagle Talon, the Mitsubishi Eclipse, and the Plymouth Laser. Chrylser and Mistubishi have teamed up too many times in the past to list really. Starion/Conquest, 3000GT/Stealth, the 2.6 HEMI, just to name a few.

That said, Neons are awesome at the track(road tracks, not talking about drag racing) and are alot better cars then you guys make them out to be.

i know what a DSM is, hence the referance to the Talon in my original (note: unedited) post

but, the SRT-4 isn't based on any of them, though as sqcomp mentioned, they do share the turbo.

my point was that even sharing a turbo isn't enough to consider one car "based" on another, thats like saying the new GTO is based on the New corvette because they share the same engine (i think, i'm not up to date on my Chevs, but i think you get my point)

also, id like to note that nowhere have i said the SRT-4 is a bad car, its a great car, i'm looking forward to it. the Neon(SX 2.0 for my fellow Canuks) on the other hand, sucks, completely, and utterly

Ahh yes, the LS2. Nice engine! I'd love to be able to afford to put one in an old MR2! I've heard of a Northstar V8 in an MR2 but that new LS2 would be REALLY nice! 400 HP! Yes!

I definately agree with the FWD comment. I hate the understeer. It would serve better as RWD. Oh well, it is a creat off-road rally car in it's class. Think about it. The only other FWD cars I've seen that come really close are the new RSX Type s and the Cooper S.

Lots of cars are FWD that should be RWD. ;)

to reply to this from a engineering standpoint:

There are several reasons manufacturer's tend to favor the FWD platform - a big one being safety.
When a car loses control the most common reaction of the typical driver is to hit the brakes. A FWD car will more often than not understeer when pushed past its limits, a condition which is corrected by braking. A RWD on the other hand will tend to oversteer and is only made worse by braking.

Secondly, greater economy can be reached on a fwd due to their decreased rotating weight. You have no heavy driveshaft to spin, just two cv axles. More of the cars hp potential output will reach the wheels in this scenario (speaking generally).

The FWD layout also simplifies problems encountered by routing exhaust and gastank placement and design, but these considerations tend to be secondary to those mentioned previously.

All that aside, greater performance could be attained by a RWD or AWD platform since weight naturally transfers to their drive wheels under acceleration, and not away from them as is the case in FWD. They also make better use of the vehicles total available traction - no 'passenger' wheels as in the rear wheels on a FWD. But not all cars are meant to be hardcore performers, they are just meant to give the impression of being a performance automobile to attract young buyers.

Drift-Kid
no way it would bet the vette in the 1/4.............it cant ever hang with a STI or EVO MR..

**** it can barely keep up with a 350...........(weel they are like tied but anyways)
Why does everything have to come back to drag racing?

I think it's the light to light mode of thinking. I am a bigger fan of road racing than drag racing. Obviously! Look what we're waiting for here! the measure of a car and it's driver is much more than a straight line (or an oval track...sorry! :yuck: )

After seeing the ALMS in my town I just can't get enough. Nothing like the mixed competitor fields, seeing a corvette C5 with it's signature American V8 go up against a Murcielago GTR V-12 that is SO shreikingly LOUD and them being passed by JJ Lehto in that awesome Audi LMP1 car!

...and GT4 has all that (save the Lambo)

I think I've watched the America GT4 intro a million times now. Damn these last few days!

TankSpanker
to reply to this from a engineering standpoint:

There are several reasons manufacturer's tend to favor the FWD platform - a big one being safety.
When a car loses control the most common reaction of the typical driver is to hit the brakes. A FWD car will more often than not understeer when pushed past its limits, a condition which is corrected by braking. A RWD on the other hand will tend to oversteer and is only made worse by braking.

Secondly, greater economy can be reached on a fwd due to their decreased rotating weight. You have no heavy driveshaft to spin, just two cv axles. More of the cars hp potential output will reach the wheels in this scenario (speaking generally).

The FWD layout also simplifies problems encountered by routing exhaust and gastank placement and design, but these considerations tend to be secondary to those mentioned previously.

All that aside, greater performance could be attained by a RWD or AWD platform since weight naturally transfers to their drive wheels under acceleration, and not away from them as is the case in FWD. They also make better use of the vehicles total available traction - no 'passenger' wheels as in the rear wheels on a FWD. But not all cars are meant to be hardcore performers, they are just meant to give the impression of being a performance automobile to attract young buyers.

The Acura TL is a great car and it would be best RWD but I guess the FWD platform is more efficient.

FWD is not the boogeyman lots of people make it out to be. Although RWD or 4WD will offer better performance, there are some excellent handling FWD cars out there. For example, the Mini, or how about the VW Golf GTi MkI. Both cars have legendary handling, and both are front wheel drive cars.

And have any of you read any reviews of the SRT-4? Understeer is not a big issue with the car. Here's some of C&D's review of the '04 SRT-4.

The biggest difference is how the new car behaves in everyday driving. Now, the SRT-4 doesn't uselessly spin the inside front tire when exiting a turn. It simply hooks up and scoots. It is also proof that high horsepower, front-wheel drive, and a limited-slip diff don't have to be a recipe for arm-tugging torque steer.

There is a light pull at the wheel when you floor it in first or second, but compared with the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V and Acura TL Type-S (both cars have that high-powered front-drive, limited-slip recipe), the SRT-4 is a revelation. We also appreciated the neutral and crisp handling that is accompanied by a firm but not harsh ride.

Back