Does anyone else hates high tyre wear in manufactures cup?

• Thread starter Necudo
  • 29 comments
Austria
Austria
I dont know what is the reason we always have 8-10-12x tyre wear in those cups? Its just so unrealistic and annoying. Something like 3-4x would be great. After 4-5 laps on Barcelona left tyre are just useless.

I dont know what is the reason we always have 8-10-12x tyre wear in those cups? Its just so unrealistic and annoying. Something like 3-4x would be great. After 4-5 laps on Barcelona left tyre are just useless.

It's only the first round that's like that. After that there's one race at x6 and all other races are at x5 or lower. If its that big of an issue just skip the first round.

But yes I do also hate high tyre wear races, although will still be doing this one.

EDIT Also watch this 👍

Last edited:
There used to be a time when every race was high tyre wear :lol:

Yeah, I think when I first started Sports mode every race was at 15x or something.

I don't think the high tire wear would bug me so much if the pit loss wasn't increased so much. I mean, I get that they were ridiculously short before but in typical PD fashion, they went way overboard in the other direction.

It just makes you think a little bit, both about your strategy and your driving.
For instance at Barca only the Hard is mandatory, so treat the Softs as qualy only tyres.

Except a no-stop is all but impossible and the RM don't last much longer than the RS with the high multiplier.

Except a no-stop is all but impossible and the RM don't last much longer than the RS with the high multiplier.
That's not what I was recommending. I have only done 1 practice race. I did 7M/10H and it worked well and put me ahead of much faster drivers who 2 stopped. Some did pass me but I was only a few seconds down come the end. You can go a few extra laps on the mediums without it becoming chronic. Using the softs in qualy I didn't like how they felt after only a few laps. Meds feel a lot better. But again it forces you to think about things which is only a good thing IMO.

That's not what I was recommending. I have only done 1 practice race. I did 7M/10H and it worked well and put me ahead of much faster drivers who 2 stopped. Some did pass me but I was only a few seconds down come the end. You can go a few extra laps on the mediums without it becoming chronic. Using the softs in qualy I didn't like how they felt after only a few laps. Meds feel a lot better. But again it forces you to think about things which is only a good thing IMO.

Hey, whatever works for you. Personally, I found I can go 7 laps on the softs while keeping better time than I'd get on he meds. But different cars, different driving styles and preferences. Do what works for you.

Then why not just use another set of hards when you pit for fuel? That’s what I was thinking.

I was alternatively thinking of using hards for just the first lap, pitting, and then using mediums for the rest of the race, for a total of two pitstops. Ah, who am I kidding? I think I’ll just go with two sets of hards. Or at least see how far I get on hards until I need to refuel, and then judge whether I should use another set of hards, or - if there are so few laps left - if I could switch to mediums, or even softs.

Last edited:
Then why not just use another set of hards when you pit for fuel? That’s what I was thinking.

I was alternatively thinking of using hards for just the first lap, pitting, and then using mediums for the rest of the race, for a total of two pitstops. Ah, who am I kidding? I think I’ll just go with two sets of hards. Or at least see how far I get on hards until I need to refuel, and then judge whether I should use another set of hards, or - if there are so few laps left - if I could switch to mediums, or even softs.

I did a test and was able to do 10H/7S. A no stop won’t work unless you can do some extreme fuel saving. I could probably do 8 or 9 on the softs but I don’t think I’ll risk that. You may be able to stretch fuel to maybe 13 laps but I don’t see how anyone would be competitive doing a no stop.

I did a test and was able to do 10H/7S. A no stop won’t work unless you can do some extreme fuel saving. I could probably do 8 or 9 on the softs but I don’t think I’ll risk that. You may be able to stretch fuel to maybe 13 laps but I don’t see how anyone would be competitive doing a no stop.
Sounds good, I might just do 10H/7M to be safe.

Yeah, same. Really dislike high tyre wear races. Around 3x is alright in my view. Double digit (or just below) tyre wear multipliers are ludicrous.

IMO, tyre management is a skill just like trail braking and hitting apexes. People practice hundreds of laps to get a certain laptime and no one complains, but nobody likes to learn tyre saving. Most people dislike it because they just think it's basically "going slower" and not much fun, but I can tell you that the fastest drivers are often also the smoothest, and thus have the best tyre wear ;)

Even in low tyre wear races, if your tyres are just slightly better than your opponent that would give you a grip advantage in the final lap, and that could be the difference in making that last corner overtake stick or not. So regardless of the tyre multiplier, it's a good idea to practice smooth driving. Take the high multiplier races as an opportunity to improve this skill, not an annoyance 👍

I am generally not a fan of tyre wear but don't mind it when you legit have an option to do an extra stop, but it's a really fine line. I understand why folks like it but i chew tyres really, really badly so I usually avoid tyre wear battles unless I can do another stop like we used to quite a bit in Race C earlier this year.

I think it's a great thing. I forces you to drive smart, reduce wheelspin and sliding into/through corners, makes drivers think carefully about their aggressive driving or pay the consequences. With three tyre compounds on offer at Barcelona, it means you need to work on strategy, balancing your driving style with tyre degradation and performance levels.

I love the challenge it brings to the races and in the races daily without it over 4-6 laps that's fine but the longer races are just boring without it. Looked back at my replay from the manufactures race yesterday to see why I gained a 5 seconds lead in just over 2 laps and the guys behind were overdriving and burning up their tyres so there's a lot to be gained when you learn how to save your tyres.

Last edited:
I don't mind tyre wear being a factor to keep in mind. I'll happily do a bit of tyre (and fuel) management during races to try get an edge.

That said, I don't like when it goes as extreme as it did yesterday. If it's a circuit that naturally wrecks tyres and you slap a high tyre multiplier on it, it just becomes stressful IMO. I don't find it fun when I need to spend the entire race focusing on nothing but babysitting my tyres just so that I can actually complete each stint without spinning.

That said, I don't like when it goes as extreme as it did yesterday. If it's a circuit that naturally wrecks tyres and you slap a high tyre multiplier on it, it just becomes stressful IMO. I don't find it fun

I think you don’t gain a huge amount by wrecking your tires.
Take turn 3 at Catalunya, if you use the yellow driving line there on inside you hug the curving, and there’s just about a cars width of banking there too.
You can push and gain a tenth or two in that corner by just assasinating the front left with a lot of throttle or you can take it tight without squeal and still often make a pass since you’re covering less distance.
Bonus you use less fuel too because scrubbing the fronts hard with a lot of steering lock requires more throttle to maintain speed.
On that turn you see many players too aggressive imo if it’s not a sprint. They will exit turn two then veer left and try to straighten turn three out and carry maximum speed which if done right is best for qual but not in race imo
Hard to argue with holding the curb in race imo

Last edited:
I treated yesterday like the Spa race in the exhibition series. You drive against the conditions for the best time. It's good to do once in a while and really hones your skills and techniques especially in a MR car. But yes, it's good to have a good mix throughout the season or it gets boring.

I used to hate it, but I figured those were the parameters and I had to get better. I'm just figuring out how to trail-brake and that's helping me control the car a lot better. I don't love the high tire wear, but I'm not shying away from it like I used to.

Back