Does anyone know the FOV in GT Sport?

I wonder why they didnt include such essential thing in the first place.
Strictly speaking they have never included it, people found a work around in GT5 and GT6 as they had triple screen support and you could 'fool' it into allowing you to set the FOV.

With PSVR I don't hold up much hope of triple screen getting added in, and a single screen FOV being even more unlikely.

Unfortunately its a common trend in PS4 titles, with only three currently supporting it (PC/PC2, AC and F1 2017).

I wonder why they didnt include such essential thing in the first place.
Pretty much for one reason: the game has to appeal to as many gamers as possible.
With AAA titles on console you can observe a very common trend for the last couple years. Publishers don’t allow options that may lead to a different than advertised gaming experience. The majority of GTS players doesn’t even know what FOV is, nor do they care what the advantages of a correctly set FOV are. Dedication of such degree among GTS’ target audience (which GTPL is hardly representative of) is not only highly unlikely, I’d go as far as to say it is undesired by the dev/publishers.

With PSVR I don't hold up much hope of triple screen getting added in, and a single screen FOV being even more unlikely.

VR is very interesting, but I don't see it going much further in GTS or the GTS successor in this generation, than it has gone with GTS already. The computing power and the resolution is just far too small, for me at least.
Some don't mind the extremely low resolution, but personally I have a tendency for motion sickness in 3D games already, and the low resolution makes it much much worse for me, so unless we are getting the headsets with 4k and the required computing power I don't see this changing much in the short term.
In a couple of years we'll all drive using a 4k or higher headset for sure tho.
Hopefully in the meantime they give us a better option to play on the TV/monitor.

I didnt care about FOV either. Today i have decided to measure how far from TV i should sit given GTS static FOV. It was much closer to the TV than i was sitting and man what a difference this makes.

I can hit corners much better and control of the car is improved too. Its more like IRL now, I can feel it. Combined with cockpit cam it feels more natural and fun. I was on the verge of quitting GTS but now i have to reconsider :P

(EDIT: I use T150 with a stand)

I've just checked and Multi Monitor (and unofficial FOV adjustement) support came
- 3 months (02/2011) after the realease of GT5 (11/2010)
- 3 months (03/2014) after the realease of GT6 (12/2013)

It's been 4.5 months already since GT Sport launch (10/2017), Kaz didn't say a word about that, so I don't feel it's gonna happening this time :(
I hope I'm wrong

I've just checked and Multi Monitor (and unofficial FOV adjustement) support came
- 3 months (02/2011) after the realease of GT5 (11/2010)
- 3 months (03/2014) after the realease of GT6 (12/2013)

It's been 4.5 months already since GT Sport launch (10/2017), Kaz didn't say a word about that, so I don't feel it's gonna happening this time :(
I hope I'm wrong

Yeah not much hope :(
It‘s a shame because implementing it probably doesn‘t require much more than adding the settings screen for it... the engine most likely can do it anyway as it must use a different FOV for VR.
Even from a marketing point of view it is stupid in my opinion. If it was adjustable they could even set the default to 180 degrees or something for the „wow it feels faaaast“ idiots and we wouldn‘t care and just change the setting...

Man.. I have been away for awhile but saw an article about a new GTS update that had the classic Mini (yay!). So I thought, lets find out of GTS has proper FOV settings yet. Dug around and no, sadly not, not even the fudged options from GT5/6 for triple screens. . I have been racing RC cars and playing Warframe so my sim racing setup has been put aside.

Man.. if PD would just think logically about it. Keep the default where it is at. Then allow people to lower the FOV angle if desired. Lowering the FOV in any title I can think of improves performance (Frame Rate) so why not allow it? They likely have some BS response about being fair, same is why you cannot use the virtual rear view mirror in all views.

Anyways.. will have to move the TV back to the office and get the wheel out just for a change of pace, Warframe is totally awesome but could use a break from it. I like GTS and now that I am a few content releases behind there are plenty of single player chase the rabbit races for me to do which is just enough before I get tired of the experience and go back to either pCARS 2 or AC.

FOV option would be so great....
The ratio of track and cockpit is generally weird here, giant cockpit/tiny track.
Sense of speed in a n100 car is like driving a gt3 car.

Strictly speaking they have never included it, people found a work around in GT5 and GT6 as they had triple screen support and you could 'fool' it into allowing you to set the FOV.

Unfortunately its a common trend in PS4 titles, with only three currently supporting it (PC/PC2, AC and F1 2017).

Aren't those triple screen titles only triple screen on the PC version?

The PS3 triple screen system required three PS3's, with PS4's being a bit more expensive, perhaps they have dropped this because you can buy a triple screen capable PC for less than three PS4's?

Surely FOV is a performance issue? You want a wide FOV then you have to process more.

The screen still displays the same pixels, no matter the FoV. So the same amount of rendering, right? It's just what is displayed changes.

It doesn't seem to be the issue with other titles... There's no resolution or framerate hit in PC2 and AC when changing FoV.

Does awful answer the question? I can run many other games and find a way to get comfortable racing in cockpit view but GTS is just about impossible.

As mentioned yesterday, here's a look at FOV on the PS4 for various titles including GTS.

Hi there. Do you know what happened to this video? I would love to see it but it seems to be removed. Did you upload this yourself and if so, can you help me out here so I can watch it?

Pretty confused ppl around here...
So here is the expert measurement+calculation. believe it or just don't.
horizontal FOV ~= 70deg ("bumper cam", measured by turning the camera and noting that the view fits about 5 and 1/6 times in 360deg)

The answer:
Distance ~= 0.7 * screen width !!! (this is just distance = tan(FOV/2)*witdh)
or Distance ~= 0.8 * screen_diagonal

so for all illcalculates out there:
43" -> 87cm
49" -> 100cm
55" -> 112cm
78" -> 158cm

Discussion:
The closer you can move the screen the more accurate the FOV gets in general, as most screens tend to be too far away...

so if I'm using a 60" TV (guessing 52" width) I would need to sit with my face being about 30 - 32" from the screen?

I think I am currently sitting about 60 - 70" away

so if I'm using a 60" TV (guessing 52" width) I would need to sit with my face being about 30 - 32" from the screen?

I think I am currently sitting about 60 - 70" away
Here you go, this will calculate what FOV you should be using for your screen size and seating distance.

However with GTS you can't adjust the FOV so you are stuck with around 70 to 80 degrees, which unless you have a projector you are going to need to sit stupidly close to in order to have a 1:1 ratio.

Here you go, this will calculate what FOV you should be using for your screen size and seating distance.

However with GTS you can't adjust the FOV so you are stuck with around 70 to 80 degrees, which unless you have a projector you are going to need to sit stupidly close to in order to have a 1:1 ratio.
I use a projector, so would my FOV be different?

Attachments

• DSC_0496.JPG
    DSC_0496.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 62
Does the FOV explain why the tracks in GT Sport seem so narrow? I was watching Super GT race at Bathurst in Forza and the track was much wider than it is in GT Sport

Does the FOV explain why the tracks in GT Sport seem so narrow? I was watching Super GT race at Bathurst in Forza and the track was much wider than it is in GT Sport

Yes that is exactly why... even if you sit very close to a 55" screen your FOV is normally set lower than GTsport has it.

If you get a chance try a game like pCARS or Assetto Corsa and use an online FOV calculator to see what you should use for your screen size and distance .. then set it and compare to GTsport, you will see how far off it is.

PS4 main screen > settings > sound and screen > display area settings > enlarge (as much as possible). That gains about 5% in FOV, I'd say. The cropped area is not really needed.

By the way, my eyes are about 45 inches away from my 49 inch 1080 TV. If it was 4k, I'd be sitting another 5, perhaps 10 inches closer.

GTS cockpit adjustment options are all you need for single screen setup in my opinion. Some are asking for more FOV, which would make things look weird using single screen. After seeing some iracing videos, some are using cockpit view with very tight FOV, it reminded me of looking through binocular, very bumpy and little sense for speed. PD know what they are doing and GTS looks beautiful.

GTS cockpit adjustment options are all you need for single screen setup in my opinion. Some are asking for more FOV, which would make things look weird using single screen. After seeing some iracing videos, some are using cockpit view with very tight FOV, it reminded me of looking through binocular, very bumpy and little sense for speed. PD know what they are doing and GTS looks beautiful.
Because options that allow people to tailor a set-up to individual needs are a crap idea.

I did try to get a hFOV estimate by moving the car to the start/finish line and setting the car up so I can see the start/finish line in a straight vertical line at the edge of the screen. Doing this I pretty much exactly came to a FOV of 80° (maybe a tiny bit more)
I've just been pondering FoV, as I know I'm too far from my screen, based on my preferred viewing distance when using a controller, which is much closer than I can get when using a wheel.

I replicated your experiment, though I used the white line of a straight section of track instead, as it seemed easier to line up a longer line on the screen. I don't know if this is what you did after doing that, but I used a protractor to measure the angle of the car from the little red marker on the track map relative to the direction of the track, and the field of view is then double that angle. I got a very similar result to you, I got 78 degrees.

I then validated this method by using my camera on a desk to line up the edge of the desk with the edge of the frame, and measured the angle of the camera to the desk. Double this angle matched the focal length of the lens, using an online table of focal length vs field of view, to within a degree or two.

There is an error in the formula posted above, the correct formula is

Distance from screen = Width of screen / ( 2 * tan (fov/2) )

It actually doesn't affect the posted result much, because 1 / (2 x 0.7) is still approximately 0.7.

So, if we assume the screen is 16:9, the width is 0.8716x the diagonal size, giving:

Distance from screen = Diagonal screen size * 0.4358 / tan (fov/2)

Going with my FoV figure of 78 degrees gives:

Distance from screen = Diagonal screen size * 0.538

The implication of this is that there's really only one sensible option for a screen, which is a 43" TV just above the rear of the wheel base, 23" from my eyes.

Back