Does anyone know the FOV in GT Sport?

thank you all the f.o.v. i have look for years for it g.t.s. don't have it thank you much.

The screen still displays the same pixels, no matter the FoV. So the same amount of rendering, right? It's just what is displayed changes.

It doesn't seem to be the issue with other titles... There's no resolution or framerate hit in PC2 and AC when changing FoV.
FOV does impact performance

I have a 32" TV & sit about 55" away from it. I just did mine using this FoV calculator: https://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/ & got 17.83° for Assetto & 35° for Project CARS; WHOA! :eek: I'm so used to GT's FoV that I doubt I'll ever be able to adjust to a proper 1:1 FoV on my current set up, although I will give it try & see what happens.

It does explain why people who've never played a racing game have such a hard time when I invite them round to have a go, as the FoV is way off compared to reality.

:lol:

PS: My TV is actually 31.5", & if anyone knows of a more accurate calculator that will also allow distances from monitor/TV greater than 50"...

VBR
...I will give it try & see what happens...

Well, I tried it...and...wow! First off, it all looked very "wrong" & I didn't like it :irked:. However, I decided to stick with it & that's when I started noticing things. I was in an Evo X at Oulton Park National & I began to notice that the kerbs just looked kind of right, they didn't look stretched out anymore (not that I noticed that they were stretched before). The more I drove, the more I began to realise just how warped & distorted the track was with the default-ish FoV :odd: (in this case Project CARS set to 85°).

I really started enjoying it :D, although I was frustrated at how slow I was; five seconds off my previous best :ouch:. I kept on, & began enjoying it more & more, & my lap times fell to within 3 seconds. Then, I decided to see what it would be like with other cars out on the track, so I set up a race weekend. Now, this is when things really started to click into place. I've never driven around Oulton Park in real life, so I had no frame of reference as to the size of the track in reality. However, when I saw another Evo in front of me my brain suddenly realised, not only the scale of the car but of the whole track, & everything suddenly looked more or less 1:1. :)

Cars are big, cars are very big! :eek: What an absolute rude awakening of an eye opener!!! :lol:

Eyes Opened.jpg

Within a few laps of seeing the other cars, I had put in a time only a few tenths of my previous best. I was now hooked! I spent all afternoon lapping Oulton Park, & then moved on to Brands Hatch. This is when I started to notice that not only does an incorrect FoV warp the tracks, but that this visual distortion destroys the elevation changes too. Brands is like a bloody rollercoaster! Then I did my first "proper" sim-racing lap of my all time favourite track, Der Nordschleife. I've driven thousands of miles on this track in GT games, but this lap felt like my first. I wanted to do it on a laser scanned version, but Assetto Corsa on the PS4 doesn't allow FoV setting below 50° :rolleyes:. So, I went back to the Project CARS less accurate version, but it didn't matter because it was so much fun. The elevation changes on that track were crazier than Brands; OH MY DAYS! :drool:

FoV.jpg

I've just had one of the most exhilarating sim racing experiences of my whole life this afternoon & can only imagine how VR, with it's 1:1 scaling plus wider FoV as well as head tracking, would improve upon an already incredible experience. Despite its many issues, thank you SMS, WMD, & @IanBell for Project CARS 👍 :cheers: :bowdown:

However, I am left utterly disgusted at how I've been robbed all these years of such a joyous experience by games that do not include this option. I remember Kaz boasting that GT4's Nord was accurate to within 1.5cm. Nowadays, tracks are laser scanned & are accurate to within 1mm or so (apparently). BUT, THEN IDIOT GAME DEVS GO & DESTROY IT ALL BY WARPING & DISTORTING THE TRACKS WITH ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL FoV SETTINGS THAT RENDER THAT ACCURACY NULL & VOID!!!

:banghead: :boggled: 🤬 :confused: :crazy: :dunce: :eek: :( :ill: :irked: :mad: :odd: :ouch: :rolleyes: 👎 :yuck: :grumpy:

Every driving game on PS4 needs fully realised FoV settings just like Project CARS provides 💡. GT Sport isn't doing it, & Assetto Corsa just doesn't cut the mustard either.

I tried that, but it gives me a different result than the last one even with the same settings. It doesn't matter though as P CARS only goes as low as 35°.

:boggled:

Last edited:
VBR
Well, I tried it...and...wow! First off, it all looked very "wrong" & I didn't like it :irked:. However, I decided to stick with it & that's when I started noticing things. I was in an Evo X at Oulton Park National & I began to notice that the kerbs just looked kind of right, they didn't look stretched out anymore (not that I noticed that they were stretched before). The more I drove, the more I began to realise just how warped & distorted the track was with the default-ish FoV :odd: (in this case Project CARS set to 85°).

I really started enjoying it :D, although I was frustrated at how slow I was; five seconds off my previous best :ouch:. I kept on, & began enjoying it more & more, & my lap times fell to within 3 seconds. Then, I decided to see what it would be like with other cars out on the track, so I set up a race weekend. Now, this is when things really started to click into place. I've never driven around Oulton Park in real life, so I had no frame of reference as to the size of the track in reality. However, when I saw another Evo in front of me my brain suddenly realised, not only the scale of the car but of the whole track, & everything suddenly looked more or less 1:1. :)

Cars are big, cars are very big! :eek: What an absolute rude awakening of an eye opener!!! :lol:

View attachment 817820

Within a few laps of seeing the other cars, I had put in a time only a few tenths of my previous best. I was now hooked! I spent all afternoon lapping Oulton Park, & then moved on to Brands Hatch. This is when I started to notice that not only does an incorrect FoV warp the tracks, but that this visual distortion destroys the elevation changes too. Brands is like a bloody rollercoaster! Then I did my first "proper" sim-racing lap of my all time favourite track, Der Nordschleife. I've driven thousands of miles on this track in GT games, but this lap felt like my first. I wanted to do it on a laser scanned version, but Assetto Corsa on the PS4 doesn't allow FoV setting below 50° :rolleyes:. So, I went back to the Project CARS less accurate version, but it didn't matter because it was so much fun. The elevation changes on that track were crazier than Brands; OH MY DAYS! :drool:

View attachment 817822

I've just had one of the most exhilarating sim racing experiences of my whole life this afternoon & can only imagine how VR, with it's 1:1 scaling plus wider FoV as well as head tracking, would improve upon an already incredible experience. Despite its many issues, thank you SMS, WMD, & @IanBell for Project CARS 👍 :cheers: :bowdown:

However, I am left utterly disgusted at how I've been robbed all these years of such a joyous experience by games that do not include this option. I remember Kaz boasting that GT4's Nord was accurate to within 1.5cm. Nowadays, tracks are laser scanned & are accurate to within 1mm or so (apparently). BUT, THEN IDIOT GAME DEVS GO & DESTROY IT ALL BY WARPING & DISTORTING THE TRACKS WITH ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL FoV SETTINGS THAT RENDER THAT ACCURACY NULL & VOID!!!

:banghead: :boggled: 🤬 :confused: :crazy: :dunce: :eek: :( :ill: :irked: :mad: :odd: :ouch: :rolleyes: 👎 :yuck: :grumpy:

Every driving game on PS4 needs fully realised FoV settings just like Project CARS provides 💡. GT Sport isn't doing it, & Assetto Corsa just doesn't cut the mustard either.

I tried that, but it gives me a different result than the last one even with the same settings. It doesn't matter though as P CARS only goes as low as 35°.

:boggled:
AC on the PS4 does allow lower FOV, you just need to set it per car on the adjust cockpit option (when you are in the pits or from the pause menu on track), and remember that AC is a vertical FOV not a horizontal one like PC.

BTW give Spa and Watkins Glen a go as well.

Last edited:
AC on the PS4 does allow lower FOV, you just need to set it per car on the adjust cockpit option (when you are in the pits or from the pause menu on track), and remember that AC is a vertical FOV not a horizontal one like PC.

BTW give Spa and Watkins Glen a go as well.

I stand corrected. 👍 Will do...

I actually like AC's per car FOV and seat position settings better than pCARS (EDIT - on PS4). The advantage with pCARS is the ability to adjust the seat position on the fly with the keyboard. AC just suffers from lack of updates on the UI, its weird that the FOV in the main menu only goes so far and is overriden by the in car settings.

Either way.. not having even the basic FOV settings on ps4 sim or sim-cade titles irritates me. GTS and Dirt need to get on that...

Last edited:
Distance from screen = Width of screen / ( 2 * tan (fov/2) )

Going with my FoV figure of 78 degrees gives:

Distance from screen = Diagonal screen size * 0.538
This is correct. (and sorry for messing it up bigtime earlier - seems like a double inversion of my rattled brain)

However my estimate for the FoV still stands at 70 degrees for the bumper cam (vs. your 78),
so the end result would be closer to this:

Perfect Distance = 0.6 * TV Diagonal

Still, as you also mentioned, in most setups you have to move the screen as close as possible to even come close to this value.

Another note: Obviously, PD are concerned about maintaining the smooth 60 FPS.
More FoV would obviously mean more load for the graphics card,
but it is hard to see how lowering the FoV (as most setups would need it) would have a negative impact on performance. If anything it should be quicker to draw less stuff!

However my estimate for the FoV still stands at 70 degrees for the bumper cam (vs. your 78)
Can you explain in detail how you did that? I understand the idea of working out the arc size from how many times the screen fits in 360 degrees, do you need to use the controller to move the camera in that way?

FOV does impact performance
so on gran turismo sport on ps4 pro with a 55'' 4k tv with HDR what is the f.o.v. and how to set it up ? i look all over the intent and fond not thing so what the answer this hum bug .

so on gran turismo sport on ps4 pro with a 55'' 4k tv with HDR what is the f.o.v. and how to set it up ? i look all over the intent and fond not thing so what the answer this hum bug .
The only way to set GTS FOV correctly is to use the VR headset - limits what you can do in the game, and locks you to 900P per eye....

There are no settings for FoV in GT Sport, & that's the main problem being discussed in this thread. GT Sport's FoV is locked in place, but if we can work out what it is, then we can choose to sit at the correct distance from our TV's based on the size of the screen. That way we'll end up getting the correct field of view for our set up. I'm no good with math, so I can't help you out with how far you should be sitting from your TV, but I'm sure someone else on here can.

The only way to set GTS FOV correctly is to use the VR headset - limits what you can do in the game, and locks you to 900P per eye....
yes i try the ps vr it f.o.v. was good but the picture was like when i was on the farm with rabbit ear to find the right spot and it was hum bug to.play on it for month just could not get the awesome picture so gave up on it . then phone playstation and all got out of them is to reset it and try that . now i am out $400.00 with a bummed vr.

AC on the PS4 does allow lower FOV, you just need to set it per car on the adjust cockpit option (when you are in the pits or from the pause menu on track)...

The vFoV for AC that I got from https://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/ is 17.83°, & the game only goes down to 29°. So, I have to stick to what I said before about AC not cutting the mustard. Also, I only like to drive in dash cam in AC & changing the FoV ruins the in-car camera, which can't then be adjusted. I think I'll stick to P CARS...

PS: Before some "helpful" soul tells me to go buy a new TV; I'm quite happy with the one I have, & wouldn't consider doing that just because of one game's lack of options.

VBR
PS: Before some "helpful" soul tells me to go buy a new TV; I'm quite happy with the one I have, & wouldn't consider doing that just because of one game's lack of options.
I would say to move the TV closer.:)
My 31.5" monitor is 20" from my eyes and I play with 43° FOV in Assetto Corsa.

Last edited:
VBR
The vFoV for AC that I got from https://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/ is 17.83°, & the game only goes down to 29°. So, I have to stick to what I said before about AC not cutting the mustard. Also, I only like to drive in dash cam in AC & changing the FoV ruins the in-car camera, which can't then be adjusted. I think I'll stick to P CARS...

What FOV are you running in PC2?

BTW the camera position in AC can be adjusted in cockpit mode, I always use it to move it back.

Edited to add.

Just check your posts above and yep AC doesn't go narrow enough, which I agree isn't good enough and it's a shame.

Also checked in AC and while you can't adjust the dash cam, you can fully adjust the helmet cam and turn it into a dash cam (or even a chase cam), which may help.

Last edited:
I would say to move the TV closer.:)
My 31.5" monitor is 20" from my eyes and I play with 43° FOV in Assetto Corsa.

I would love to, but it's not possible at the moment. I could get 16 inches closer if I do some "DIY" to my TV stand, but would rather not take a hacksaw to it. I suppose I could buy some kind of stand or table for my TV, but it would have to fit over my Playseat Evolution & be the exact right height. I'd also have to buy a longer HDMI cable & set it all up every time I wanted to play. Too much hassle really...

What FOV are you running in PC2?

BTW the camera position in AC can be adjusted in cockpit mode, I always use it to move it back.

Edited to add.

Just check your posts above and yep AC doesn't go narrow enough, which I agree isn't good enough and it's a shame.

Also checked in AC and while you can't adjust the dash cam, you can fully adjust the helmet cam and turn it into a dash cam (or even a chase cam), which may help.

As per my post above (# 63 in this thread), the FoV calculator recommended 35° for Project CARS. Which was lucky as that's the minimum the game goes down to. I did try adjusting the camera in cockpit view, but I couldn't get it looking right, & hate to see the arms & wheel on display. I love Project CARS that you can hide the arms/wheel animation. Can't do that in AC on PS4, so I only use the dash cam, which I first experienced in DC & really liked a lot. By the way, I have a pathological hatred of chase cam!

Back on topic; I would dearly love to see what GT Sport looks like with the proper FoV.

:)

Can you explain in detail how you did that? I understand the idea of working out the arc size from how many times the screen fits in 360 degrees, do you need to use the controller to move the camera in that way?

I just use the left analog stick to look around, I think this is the default controller setting.
(while the car is parked... any car movement would be bad, obviously...)

As my last post was obviously a piece of ****, I measured again and I am getting 4.75 FOVs per 360 degrees, maybe even a tiny bit less.
so the horizontal FOV is about 76 degrees! (360/4.75) So with 70, I was wrong again!
This is for "bumper" cam, I hope it does not depend on the car/track, which would be pretty sick.
I was also wrong when going for the 46" TV instead of 55". I put the damn thing as close to the wheel as possible and it is still not enough!

As my last post was obviously a piece of ****, I measured again and I am getting 4.75 FOVs per 360 degrees, maybe even a tiny bit less.
so the horizontal FOV is about 76 degrees! (360/4.75) So with 70, I was wrong again!
This is for "bumper" cam
76 degrees is within the margin of error for my 78 degrees estimate, so we all seem to be in agreement now that it's around that. I used bumper cam for my estimate as well.

So, using 0.55*diagonal, we have
40" => 55cm
43" => 60cm
46" => 65cm
55" => 77cm
65" => 90cm

My seating position is currently 85cm away, 9cm of which are wasted by the stand's 'protrusion'.
Cannot move closer without cutting my arms or driving like grandma...
So I need 55" with side stand or 65" to cover everything.

I'm sure most people have already seen this video, but I looked at it again yesterday, and it reminded me of this thread:

So he has a pretty big screen right behind the wheel there, which roughly matches what we've calculated on this thread as giving the correct FoV.

Digging up an old thread...

I just got a new 31.5” 4k monitor for my PS5, and have managed to get it 54cm (~21”) from my eyes to centre of the screen... which is still 10cm too far away for correct GTS FOV.

I can maybe get it 1cm lower and 1cm closer, but that’s it with a wheel in the way.

From this close, the top of the screen (usual rear view mirror in bumper cam) feels a long way up!

Previously I had a 28” monitor around the same distance.

50" Diagonal monitor behind a T150. Eyes need to be about 25" away and I find it is possible with a 50". Need to move the monitor closer to the base of the wheel so I can move the seat back and unbend my elbows a little but that is really it.

No playseat or rig here, monitor and console share a table with the pedal set mounted vertically to the wall underneath. Just the right amount of room for a person around 5' 10". 6' or more may find they need more arm room to turn the wheel past 90°.

Attachments

• 16433007391651452967912.jpg
    16433007391651452967912.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 16433008291721514232465.jpg
    16433008291721514232465.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 20
55 FOV 65in TV I use classic mathematics triangle and distance from screen is ccca 140cm

Right Scalene Triangle​

Side a = 157.62403
Side b = 139.17376 distance from TV
Side c = 74 its half the width of TV

Angle ∠A = 90° = 1.5708 rad = π/2
Angle ∠B = 62° = 1.0821 rad
Angle ∠C = 28° = 0.48869 rad Half of the 55FOV

My screen(42”) is 23” from my eyes, but it should still be a bit closer for proper FoV, but that’s as close as I could get it.

Hmmm then horizontal FOV is 77 not 55

Back