Does Anyone Watch Wrestling? (WWE, AEW, TNA, NWA, etc)

• Thread starter km
  • 9,239 comments
So sad to hear about The Anvil, he was one of my earliest favorites growing up.

Raw was actually pretty decent tonight, had pretty good flow and a pretty good crowd(too many ad breaks but there always are), although the tribute towards the end understandably drained the momentum of the last hour for the predictableexciting finish. I've not been watching as much lately but I was reasonably sports entertained tonight.

Having Renee on commentary instead of Coach was about a 3,000,000,000% improvement by itself but I'm sure it won't last. Somebody there seems to love that guy. She was a little rough around the edges but not bad. They would need something to stir up conflict between the commentators as Graves thrives on that, but Coach is just plain awful in every way.

Welcome Back Dean Ambrose! You have been missed.

Renee did a great job and was so much better than Coachman, but then that's not saying much, a plank of wood would do a better job than Coachman.

I'm going to miss Summer Slam, but that's not exactly a bad thing since the only match that interests me is Daniel Bryan/The Miz (AJ/SJ could be good if they give it time). Takeover on the other hand should be great as usual.

I re-upped my Network subscription purely on the potential of watching Reigns and Lesnar devolve into a trainwreck akin to Lesnar/Goldberg from WrestleMania 20. This, of course, is assuming that Lesnar is done for the time being in order to attempt an actual MMA comeback instead of a one-off fight.

Jim Ross, I still listen to his podcast a lot and he is giving away an extra month, all people need to do is go to either WWE.com/JR and sign up.

For that you get Summerslam, Hell In A Cell and the Superstar Showdown in Melbourne for free.

A big weekend for WWE at The Barclays Centre in Brooklyn

Summerslam on Sunday
Raw on Monday
Smackdown on Tuesday

And it all starts with NXT Takeover Brooklyn VI tonight.

EC3 v Velveteen Dream

NXT North American Championship
Adam Cole (c) v Ricochet

NXT Tag Team Championship
Undisputed Era (Strong & O'Reilly, c) v Moustache Mountain (Steven & Bate)

NXT Women's Championship
Shayna Baszler (c) v Kairi Sane

NXT Championship-Last Man Standing Match
Tommaso Ciampa (c) v Johnny Gargano

Tonight's "Indy star confirming their NXT signing by showing up in the crowd" is
Matt Riddle.

EDIT:

First non-MYC match confirmed for the women's PPV. MYC finals also set but I'm not spoiling it.

Last edited:
Takeover was absolutely fantastic, every match was great, some superb performances, two titles changed hands.

NXT just continues to get better and better.

I’ll have to go back and watch it later since I’m currently somewhere with bad internet, but from what I’ve seen spoilers won’t ruin anything.

Also, Bliss vs. Stratus has been confirmed for Evolution.

First time I've watched an NXT show, really good. None of the matches were perfect but all were good, really just down to taste I think. EC3/Dream probably the weakest but still good. Cole/Ricochet was not my kind of match, too much half-hearted "fighting" between obvious big spots -- but a couple of the big spots were amazing. That's just a style that works for some and not for others. Some other commenters I've read think that was obviously match of the night. I loved the other three.

All of it was fun though. NXT does seem to have "something" that's missing for me from main roster shows. Seems weird ending a major WWE event with a smile on my face instead of relief that it's over.

Edit: some cleanup/rewording to make better sense.

I didn't watch it live but I woke up 3 hours ago and I've just watched and enjoyed a full WWE PPV in one go. Round of applause NXT.

Takeover was just awesome. All of the matches were good. If I had to pick my favorite, Ricochet v Cole would be my favorite with all of the action going on.

Good job NXT. Good job. 👍

An excellent NXT show last night, but that was the appetiser, this is the main course....

Kick-Off Show

Cruiserweight Championship

Cedric Alexander (c) v Drew Gulak

Rusev & Lana v Andrade 'Cien' Almas & Zelina Vega

Raw Tag Team Championship
The B Team (c) v The Revival

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smackdown Tag Team Championship
The Bludgeon Brothers (c) v The New Day

United States Championship
Shinsuke Nakamura (c) v Jeff Hardy

Braun Strowman v Kevin Owens
(If Strowman loses in any way then Owens is new Mr Money In The Bank)

Daniel Bryan v The Miz

Finn Balor v 'Constable' Baron Corbin

Smackdown Women's Championship-Triple Threat Match
Carmella (c) v Becky Lynch v Charlotte Flair

Raw Women's Championship
Alexa Bliss (c) v Ronda Rousey

Intercontinental Championship
Dolph Ziggler (c) v Seth Rollins

WWE Championship
AJ Styles (c) v Samoa Joe

Universal Championship
Brock Lesnar (c) v Roman Reigns

That is one Huge card!!

They should put Corbin vs Ballor on first after the pre show.

Completely agree, I think its the match that the fans care about the least.

Kick-Off show is on now, its on for two hours, no matches yet, arena starting to fill up.

Now I see why they had Balor Vs. Corbin on the main show. Granted I really don't see how this feud is worthy of bringing the Demon back.

Now I see why they had Balor Vs. Corbin on the main show. Granted I really don't see how this feud is worthy of bringing the Demon back.
Now they need to end the feud since he used the demon form. Also since when did they start using cgi/3D effects for entrances?

Now they need to end the feud since he used the demon form. Also since when did they start using cgi/3D effects for entrances?

Fairly recently, seemingly reserved for the Big 4 of WM/SS/Survivor Series/RR.

EDIT: Brock said another really naughty word on PPV, and
LOLROMANWINS

Last edited:
If the next chapter of Bryan-Miz doesn’t involve a Hell in a Cell match I will be rather disappointed. Seems like they set it up perfectly with the way tonight’s match ended (didn’t catch his post match promo so no clue if they’ve set the next match up yet).

The main event was about as bad as it was expected to be. I’m actually happy Braun didn’t cash the briefcase in since I can’t stand him. One thing I did notice though was apparently the match was no countout since Brock was outside the ring for a good minute while Roman was in the ring.

I didn’t really catch any other matches in their entirety so I can’t say how good they were.

It seems that they rarely enforce countouts on big championship matches anymore, probably because the crowd hates finishes like that. They sometimes do, but usually only when they want to do the "heel champion running away" stories.

I kind of wonder if Braun might have been out there just to make sure the crowd kept paying attention instead of doing their own thing, as well as to provide distractions that Roman could take advantage of.

Overall tonight reminded me a little bit of 'Mania in that the first half of the show was great and then it kind of fizzled out. Demon Finn coming out was cool but a squash is always a little unsatisfying. Seeing him win the match without getting the great looking paint worn off was nice at least. Hardy and Nakamura was okay, but didn't set the world on fire. Alexa and Ronda was more than a bit sad. I'm not sold on Ronda yet and that did nothing to help. I know she's a big draw but I prefer the old "being good at other disciplines doesn't mean you are good in WWE" story, and I don't buy her as an unbeatable monster just because she has a good judo throw. Maybe the story was supposed to be that her reputation got Alexa to scare herself into not being ready or something.

I guess those matches being underwhelming helped make the main event look better, but the match itself just turned into the usual hit "your big moves early and often... and we're done here" thing. At least it didn't drag on with 10 minute chinlocks or a hundred finisher kickouts.

But the first half was really good and I loved both AJ/Joe and Miz/Bryan. The other early matches were quite fun too.

Really good show, AJ/Joe and Miz/Bryan told great stories going forward, Ziggler/Rollins was good and wasn't predictable with the Ambrose heel turn that didn't happen, Rousey looked fantastic and is getting better every time I see her, the Becky Lynch heel turn was long overdue.

I feel that having Braun out there for the main event was to stop the crowd hijacking the match, the match itself wasn't great but at least we have a full time champ now who's going to be there every week.

Other highlights were Demon Finn (the body paint/art was fantastic!) and AJ's daughter (if it was his daughter!) being cute and saying 'you're bleeding daddy' to him.

Anyone notice that out of the four title changes three of them were on the Raw side?

You need to here what she had to say on the Gorilla Position podcast, holy cow!

Good smackdown, New Day are tag team champs again, Erick Rowan from Bludgeon Brothers is carrying an injury.

More wrestling references from the Wendy's Twitter account, this time aping Scott Steiner's infamous math promo against Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe from 2008's TNA Sacrifice. (though he failed his 141 2/3 percents chance of winning because he didn't factor in Angle being replaced in the match)

Back