Does Anyone Watch Wrestling? (WWE, AEW, TNA, NWA, etc)

• Thread starter km
  • 9,239 comments
The opening match for the SD tag titles was a good entertaining opener, Lashley v Truth shouldn't have even been on the show IMO, Bayley v Tamina was OK but nothing special, as was the Universal title match I thought, I mean it was a good match but it would have been way better if it was The Fiend and not Funhouse Bray in the match.

The match between McIntyre and Rollins for the WWE title was fantastic and easily match of the night for me, I thought they worked really well together and had good chemistry and I hope the feud doesn't end and they have another match at Backlash, the only thing I didn't like really was after the match when they shook hands, Rollins had some new entrance music to fit in with his new heel 'messiah' persona and having him shake hands with Drew after the match isn't really a heel thing, he should have snubbed the handshake and walked away.

Then there was the MITB matches, I thought it was a lot of fun. It was a bit stupid at times especially with Rey and Black being seemingly thrown off the building and not being mentioned at the time but the little cameos were great with John Laurinites, Brother Love, Heyman and both Vince and Steph popping up, I'm happy with Asuka winning the women's but I'm not so sure about Otis yet, for me he is more of a comedy character and the fact he didn't actually climb the ladder to grab the case doesn't sit well with me (it gave me flashbacks to the Carmella/Ellsworth fiasco of a few years ago!)
it will be interesting to see where they take the Otis thing going forward, I am happy for him though.

At just 2 hours and 23 minutes it was the shortest WWE PPV since 2006, Backlash is up next on June 14th and it was supposed to be a Saudi show but they obviously cant do that in the current climate so they decided to bring Backlash back.

Becky Lynch has an important announcement to make on Raw tonight so that will be interesting, plus Edge and Orton will be on the show.

Big Congratulations to Becky and Seth!

Great opening to the show with Becky relinquishing to Asuka, and then saying 'I'll miss you guys' into the camera gave me the feels. Congrats too to Asuka who has now pretty much done everything in WWE, she has already been NXT champ, Smackdown champ, tag team champ, won Royal Rumble and MITB, she was also a Survivor Series sole survivor.

A rough 24 hours for Rey Mysterio who was thrown off a building and then Seth decided to celebrate becoming a father by taking Rey's right eye out (as you do!) Rey said beforehand that both he and Black were thrown on to another platform that was only six feet below, I laughed at that and just said 'whatever man!'

King Corbin will be on Raw next week to take on champ Drew McIntyre (don't know why) The Iconics are back and they beat Bliss and Cross and get a title match against them next week, Randy Orton argued with Edge that he was the better man at WM but not the better wrestler and then challenged him to a regular match at Backlash, Charly Caruso then rather stupidly said that it could be the best wrestling match ever.

Sami Zayn cant defend the Intercontinental title so he has vacated it, a tournament to crown a new champion starts on Smackdown this Friday.

Drew Gulak is the latest to be released from WWE.

It appears to be Gulak's decision as he contract was expiring and he chose not to re-sign, he was on Smackdown last night in the first round of the IC title tourney, he lost to Daniel Bryan and they shook hands afterwards and he also posted a coaching session video to Bryan on Twitter just this afternoon, so this news has come out of the blue.

Its a shame he left, I quite liked him.

I saw that too. He was one of my favorites back in the day. My thoughts and prayers toward his family :(

He was one of the nicest guys in and out of the ring. And he lost his life to save his son's! He will be dearly missed :(

Very sad to hear about Shad, from what I have read no-one has a bad word to say about him and the fact he sacrificed his own life to save his 10-year old sons tells us everything we need to know about him. My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Shad.

Another sad loss, does anyone know why she was being bullied?

From my limited context, this seems to be what kicked things off. Not familiar with her work, but according to wrestleref friend she had potential to be something great.

Last edited:
Let's step away from the depression and look at the good news: Kurt Angle has been rehired and will be the special guest referee for NXT next week.

So I know its been a very sad week in the wrestling world but I want to get back to some sort of normality and talk about some WWE news.

Backlash is in a couple of weeks and a few matches have been made.

Drew McIntyre v Bobby Lashley (for the title)
Strowman v Miz and Morrison (for the title)
Edge v Randy Orton

McIntyre v Lashley seems interesting, I would've liked to have seen him take on Rollins again as they had such a good match at MITB but I don't mind the fact that Lashley is getting a chance, I think Lashley is under-rated and hasn't been used properly since his return, that love triangle was horrendous!

Strowman v Miz/Morrison in a handicap match is just a throwaway sort of match and I would've thought that Braun would've taken on the Fiend next after he took on Bray at MITB but I guess they are giving him slightly easier opponents to build him up as Champion. Edge v Orton seems like a great match on paper and I am looking forward to it but they are billing it as 'the greatest wrestling match ever', which is a bit stupid.

Other matches that could happen on the card are Asuka defending her Raw women's title against he winner of a triple threat match which will happen on Raw tomorrow, and the winner of the IC title tournament and the semi finals are Daniel Bryan v Jeff Hardy and Elias v AJ Styles, would love to see Bryan v Styles final but Hardy v Styles could be good too.

Speaking of Styles he has now been traded to Smackdown which I think is a good move, some of his best work in WWE has been on the Blue brand.

Like GT said Kurt Angle will be on NXT this coming week to be special guest ref in the cage fight between Matt Riddle and Timothy Thatcher. the next NXT takeover iis on the 7th and it is 'In Your House', Yep they have brought the name back, quite fittingly so too!

An okay RAW last night. Apollo Crews is the new US Champion, plus they have the crowd somewhat back! Hopefully they'll keep it for Smackdown.

Happy for Apollo as I feel he deserves it.

They had NXT performers as a crowd in last nights show with them staying apart from each other with Perspex glass put up outside the ring, its not a proper crowd of course but it added to the atmosphere, some of the people in the crowd included Aaliyah, Shotzi Blackheart and Kacy Catanzaro.

The triple threat women's match was great.

NXT is definitely worth watching tonight, Kurt angle posted a few pics on Twitter of the cage they are using for the Matt Riddle/Tim Thatcher 'cage fight' match, it looks next to nothing like a regular steel cage they normally use.

Also its been reported that tonight will be Riddle's last match on NXT for now at least, he is expected to be on Smackdown in the coming weeks, tonight's match is sort of a farewell match for him.

So Smackdown last night, Jeff Hardy knocked down Elias in his car after drinking whilst driving!

It will be AJ Styles v Daniel Bryan for the Intercontinental title, but the way they got there last night was a bit of a wild ride.

Raw last night, not a huge amount happened.

Apollo Crews and Kevin Owens had a good match for the US title until Garza and Andrade got involved and it turned into a tag match, Rey Mysterio vowed revenge on Seth Rollins for his eye injury (and son Dominic said 'an eye for an eye'!) R-Truth has got his 24/7 title back after pinning Gronk in his back garden, Nia Jax caused another injury after she shoved Kairi Sane into the ring steps and Sane suffered a deep cut to her head (lets be honest its not the first time Nia has botched and hurt her opponents, not likely to be the last either) there was another fun segment between Street Profits and Viking Raiders ad they went Bowling this time, Shawn Michaels gave his verdict on the Edge/Orton match.

After the show Forgotten Sons member Jaxson Ryker released a Pro-Trump tweet that did not go down well at all. Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, and Ricochet are just a few of many who ripped into it.

Ryker has the right to express his opinion of course but it seems very ill-timed.

After the show Forgotten Sons member Jaxson Ryker released a Pro-Trump tweet that did not go down well at all. Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, and Ricochet are just a few of many who ripped into it.

Ryker has the right to express his opinion of course but it seems very ill-timed.

Best call out so far was his own tag partner.

El Hijo De Fantasma is the new WWE Cruiserweight champion after he beat Drake Maverick in the final of the tournament on NXT last night, it wasn't all bad for Drake as after the match Triple H came out with a contract that Drake signed, so Drake is officially back with WWE and deservedly so.

The whole tournament was really good and very enjoyable, there were a few established guys like Tony Nese, Jack Gallagher and Akira Tozawa blended with some new guys like De Fantasma, Kushida and Jake Atlas and all the new guys were impressive, the final last night was a great match.

Takeover: In Your House is this Sunday with Backlash next Sunday.

Back