Does Tourist Trophy Help You Appreciate Motorcycles More?

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 16 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Anytime a game can be realistic and fun, you tend to feel like you begin to appreciate a certain thing. Tourist Trophy is a new franchise deal as a divide-and-conquer deal for Polyphony Digital. You race motorcycles around a variety of different courses with a good number of motorcycles and motorcycle manufacturers to boot. Plus, you can jazz up your little rider with all sorts of riding gear. Question is, did this game help you appreciate motorcycles more?

I'll start.

I'm traditionally a car guy. I have very little knowledge about motorcycles and motorcycle racing. All I know is that MotoGP is the Formula 1 of motorcycle racing. I got to learn first hand that motorcycles handle MUCH more differently than cars. Part of TT's challenge is that what you learned from racing cars must be applied to racing motorcycles, since many of the courses are from GT4 with the exception of Valencia. I got to learning a few things. Biggest thing is that I didn't know thee's a such thing as racing scooters. The Yamaha TMAX series gets you to realize there's a such thing as motorsports scooters. Scooters are actually the easiest motorcycles to ride. I was impressed for the most part on what PD had to offer for motorcycles. While I am still a car guy, I do have new appreciation of what motorcycles can do.

I think in the future, PD will have to look into sidecar racing, motocross, supermoto, and various other motorcycle disciplines. Appreciating motorcycles and using them has to be Chapter 1. Chapter 2 will have to involve greater motorcycle disciplines in racing across a number of different and unique series. Other than that, I have some newfound respect for motorcycles.

Now what do you think?

I'm already a rider, so I can't say this game has helped me appreciate bikes more. I like that I can ride bikes in this game that I haven't ridden before, however. It's given me more appreciation for bikes I wouldn't otherwise consider riding.

I'm curious, though. Are there non-riders playing this game who are considering getting a motorcycle now?

i have always appreciated motorbikes, but i guess now i realise that bikes are only quicker than cars to certain point, a bike cannot go around the nurb' in under 6'00 mins.......and if has been done then thats a VERY brave rider, whereas SOME highly tuned cars can do it in 5'30

so in thect yes, i do appreciate bikes more, but then i appreciate cars more to.

im a non-rider but i've wanted to get a motorcycle ever since i can remember. since playing tt i feel like i want to get one even more now. i used to have a dirtbike and all i can remember is it was damn fun riding that thing.
anyway im thinking about getting a used motorcycle soon, anyone have any suggestions on a good starter bike? i'll probably spend a few thousand to get something decent keeping in mind it might get damaged. i want something kind of sporty and light. i was looking at the ninja 500, katana 600, stuff like that. would something like an older cbr 600 f3 be too much to handle for a new rider? or would i just gradually get used to it by riding it with great discretion over time?
valentino rossi truly made me appreciate motorcycles, motorcycle riding, when i first started watching him in moto gp. it just amazed me that anyone could ride as well as him. and last season the skill he showed on his yamaha was unbelieveable. he'd stay back in second behind gibernau or someone like that the whole race, conserving his bike, tires, then the last lap just put his head down and pass them like it was nothing. like he could have any time he wanted. too bad about this season though. tire problems ending his last race and now his bike just dies while he was leading le mans? anyone know what that was all about? cause the engine didnt blow or anything it just stopped, like a computer triggered a shut off or something.

This game pushed me over the edge on wanting a bike. I grew up on the back of my dads bike but I never persued getting one. After trying all these models you can pick up subtle differances in the attitude of bikes. All my buddy ride and have been hounding me to get one. Now Im actually looking into gear/used bikes. I want to take a riding saftey course first. Im not in a rush, there is a lot to learn so Ive been doing research first.

What I liked most was the smaller cc lesser known/appreciated bikes. I have more fun with those. Hopefully Ill have a bike by next march.

not really. ive wanted a bike for a while, ive just never been able to afford one plus gear. that just makes me wish more bikes had made it in, rvf400rr, rc30, rc45, rc51, etc.

i wonder why they couldnt get bikes like the nsr500 and kr3 in like the 8hour bikes. mich doohan and aoki specials :D

Yes for sure, I have always been a car guy, I still am car guy, Tourist Trophy has not made me want to get a bike (well maybe a little :sly: ) but it certainly has made me appreciate bikes a whole lot more.

Now when I see bikes on the road I actually take note and look to see what bike it is and I just went to the track for the first time to watch a Australian Super bike round with a friend who just bought a 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6.

Well being someone who has always been into cars and has been with the GT series since GT1 as well as a bike enthusiast, i was definately glad to see PD come out with this game, and although i was looking into riding before this game, i am def. more pressed to get a bike now.

All I can say is that before Tourist Trophy, I didn't really notice bikes on the street much at all, and have to confess to not knowing my Kawasaki from my elbow. But already (having only own the game for a few days) I pay much more attention to bikes and am already gaining a better appreciation for them - solely down to the influence of this game.

More importantly, I never had a real appreciation for the craft/art of motorcycle riding. Although the game is unlikely to make you a better motorcyclist, I think at the very least it is likely to allow you to appreciate what it takes to ride one of these beasts in real life.

Yes, a hell of alot more. When I realised how easy it was to throw the rider off it gave me massive newfound respect for bike racers. I'm still learning to ride, haven't got my own bike yet though.

Crayola, you post to Supercars.net forum with that nick?

I find it interesting that riding certain bikes in TT have made me curious how theyd were in real life. For example the BMWs which seem very race compared to their image.
I´ve driven various bikes in real, thought driving them like I would a car, but anyhow got some experience. I´d say atleast the big naked bikes like CB1300&GSX1400 aren´t as heavy feeling as in TT.

I've always been into bikes as my Grandad (yes my Grandad) rode bikes into his '60's. I have many memories of going to race meetings with him as a kid so I suppose it was only natural that I would end riding bikes.

Not had as many as him yet as he regularly had five or six bikes sitting in his garage. He even bought an old Kawasaki Race bike which sadly I never got to ride as my Mum wasn't too keen on me going racing at 13. He did, however, teach me how to wheelie, how many people can say their Grandad tought them how to wheelie on a sportsbike?

I suppose it has made me appreciate my bike more as it's in the game, sort of.

Not really.

I was a bikefreak aldready before i got it. But one ting i would like more in the game. I LOVE supermotos. :sly:

Supermotards on dirttracks. Half track asphalt, half track gravel.

And some more motardbikes, KTM's racemotards and many more.

I respected motorcycles long before the game, partly because my dad is a longtime rider long before I was born. He used to share stories of his younger days and occaisionally rides his '99 CBR600F4.

I have just bought TT this weekend and I love it. Some ten years ago I was about to buy my first bike when I met my wife and so the plans for that bike got sidelined and eventually cancelled for various reasons. I must say that playing this game makes me very "bikehungry" again...

Definitely. I have been brought up around the off road side of motor sport mainly cause my dad raced off roaders most of his life. Because of this I have been more into dirt bike and ATV’s and have been riding them since I was 5 (im now 17) . So I have never really like sport bikes or anything like that. After playing TT I definitely have a new appreciation for road bikes, especially the racing bikes, I mean 300KM+ on a tiny bike that’s just insane :crazy:

Back