Does X-Box Have a Chance?

• Thread starter Magic069
  • 53 comments

Are You Prejudice?

• Yes, I am sticking with PS and the GT series no matter what.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • No, I am open to anything new, and think I will be in line to buy the first XBox.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • XBox, PS? Huh? What? Where am I? Oh man, my head hurts.

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
I was reading threw the screenshot thread and found that many of you are feeling the same way I am.

Call it a prejudice, but I am sticking with the GT series, and Sony Playstation. As for XBox, no matter how amazing it looks, or how fun it could be, I don't think I will ever own one, or even be interested in buying one. Matter of fact, I find myself being more excited about GTConcept more then anything, as far as racing games go. ;)

Just an opinion, whats yours?

X-Box has a great chance.

I love my PS2! But I also see myself in about 1 to 2 years buying a nice little black X-Box.

Oh yeah Magic, YOUR A PREDJUDICE MEANY! j/k.

:D

Out of these two, PS2. But out of the three, Gamecube. I don't give a care or a second look i.e; I don't like X-Box. Just my opinion, though. :D :P

Well I have one and it is great. I enjoy it alot. I am going to have to say that I like all 3 systems.

I hate to say it, but the Xbox is here to stay my friend. I think the PS2 will edge it out, and that the Xbox and Gamecube will split the difference (mostly because the GC will have so much younger support)
The Xbox will definitely have the edge in many areas of gaming though, as it seems that it will be buying the Company that owns GTA3, and a few others. I'm sure that this won't be the end of that either....
People will get by with only 1 or 2 systems, but as Tazz points out, people with all 3 will be the happiest. :P
(On a side note, due to unforseen circumstances, I will be picking up a Gamecube next week. :))

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell
I hate to say it, but the Xbox is here to stay my friend. I think the PS2 will edge it out, and that the Xbox and Gamecube will split the difference (mostly because the GC will have so much younger support)
The Xbox will definitely have the edge in many areas of gaming though, as it seems that it will be buying the Company that owns GTA3, and a few others. I'm sure that this won't be the end of that either....
People will get by with only 1 or 2 systems, but as Tazz points out, people with all 3 will be the happiest. :P
(On a side note, due to unforseen circumstances, I will be picking up a Gamecube next week. :))

Sounds good Tom. You will like the Gamecube. I know I do.

Like I've said before, the XBox is a good thing but I just don't want to give my money to the evil empire. I have two friends that have XBoxes and I play at their houses a lot (six player Halo!). I'm just not funding Microsoft anymore - personal choice. Now I need to go out and buy a bunch more PS2 games.

~LoudMusic

Industry talk is that the X-Box may cost Microsoft between $500 million and $1 billion in its first year. MS are apparently losing around $200 a unit, and apparently Sony and Nintendo aren't (contrary to popular belief) losing money on their consoles.

I still dont like XBOX....... I hate the controllers forit... they are so big and clumsy.... and the buttons on the top are too close together and small... and the actual console is the size of my computer tower.

Originally posted by Rumple Foreskin
I still dont like XBOX....... I hate the controllers forit... they are so big and clumsy.... and the buttons on the top are too close together and small... and the actual console is the size of my computer tower.

You must have an e-machine because the Xbox isn't that large at all.
And there is also an Xbox with the S-controller which is quite a bit smaller for gamers with small hands. Personally I'm thrilled as most game console controllers are too small for my hands, but I had to buy an s-controller for my friends cousin who was always crying foul because he had trouble handling the larger controller. (He's a pipsqueak ;))

Ya, while I don't have small hands, I didn't like the layout of the original Xbox controller. The diamond pattern was just odd and the white and black buttons were a stretch to get to when using the right analog stick.

I bought one of the S controllers when it first came out and went and bought 2 more of the S Controllers last night so the boys could play NFL 2k2 with me.

Im not saying i have small hands.... i dont, but i think they could have done a better job at desinging them... look at the ps2 and gamecube controllers.... they are both real tiny and fit in your hands nicely... the XBOX controller reminds me of the Dreamcast one... just a big bulky thing stuck in your hands

The Ps2 is a good design, but it is still a bit small for my tastes. The GC is definitely too small for me though, but I expected that as it is designed for Japanese and younger gamers in mind. The dreamcast was a little too small too, and I ended up killing my hands playing intense games like Tony Hawk 2 and Soul Calibur (among others) The xbox controller was a perfect size though, but I do agree that the buttons should have been layed out in a diamond like all other consoles (and the new S-controller) The only time that it really drove me nuts was in DOA3 though.
So far the dualshock is the best designed console controller I have ever used (although Ascii makes some very nice pads, but you have to import them from Japan) It's got a very open design that allows for hands of all size and shapes. My only hope is that they copy MS' lead and throw a different sized controller onto the market (3rd party pads are larger, but are generally crapola.)

I hate Gamecube, and I love X-Box and PS2. All my friends have X-Box, I myslef have a PS2. If i had to choose from the three of them, I'd say PS2.

Originally posted by Earth
PSX1 is outselling x box in Japan nuff said

Maybe because they are only $50 or even less.

Xbox is the god of the gaming world. Sony is knocking the pants of of Xbox right now, yes. Also, PS2 has had a year head start on it. Xbox has the most powerful, well, everything about it. Xbox has so many exclusive games that are great. PS2 will not dare slap an "exclusive" sticker on their games because they know there is a chance of big bad Bill going in and buying up the companys. What I am saying is, give Xbox another 1-2 years. It will be where Sony is now. On top of the gaming market. It will be like how Microsoft dominates the PC market. Xbox is my pick of the three. Simplist choice I have made in a while. :)

XBOX will dominate Playstation2

Oh **** no, XBOX isn't gonna dominate over PS2, the PS2 will dominate over XBOX. You can't beat that because it has more games than the XBOX and besides the controller for the XBOX is too large and bulky.

Originally posted by DeliveratorTitan
Oh **** no, XBOX isn't gonna dominate over PS2, the PS2 will dominate over XBOX. You can't beat that because it has more games than the XBOX and besides the controller for the XBOX is too large and bulky.

That's why they made the Controller-S, for people with small d*ck... I mean hands. :P j/k

Originally posted by DeliveratorTitan

You're a fool.

Xbox has not been out for a year and a half like the PS2 has been. This may be the reason behind why Xbox does not have as many games. People like you need to think. Also, I think many who root for the PS2 over Xbox are just doing it because they dont own one, and they are for what system the have and that system only. I do not even have an Xbox but I think its the greatest console of them all. I read about gaming all the time. I know what I am talking about when it comes to this area. Liken Genocide said, there is Controller-S for people with smaller hands. It is not a bulky controller either like you say. It is the most comfortable controller I have ever put my hands around. Please get your facts straight Titan. When you post and do not know what you are talking about it only makes that much more of a fool.

Here is a smiley for you. :rolleyes:

You have been awarded this twice by me in less than 10 minutes. Check this thread to see what I mean. http://forums.gtplanet.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=246742#post246742

You might want to read through the comments I made in a couple of other threads on this topic. There is talk in the industry (I work in an affiliated field) that Microsoft is taking pretty solid hits financially on each X-Box being sold.

The story is as follows. The initial lauch price Microsoft had pencilled in was a small profit/break even price per unit (can't remember the figure). Before lauch, Sony unexpectedly dropped the PS2 price and the Gamecube launch price was less than expected. And so, the X-Box was a loss leader right from launch.

From Sony's point of view, rumour is they were able to acheive a major cost reduction in manufacturing the PS2 by combining the functions of two processors into one around the time of the X-Box launch. They dropped prices corresponding to this cost-cut a little after the X-Box launch.

Microsoft have not been able to acheive production cost cutting due to there being three manufacturers involved in making an X-Box - Intel, MS and Nvidia. Apparently they are still running pretty close to the same cost per unit they were at launch.

Anyhoo, talking to a few retailers, it appears that contrary to popular belief Sony and Nintendo are actually profitable at current console prices.

I can't remember the exact prices, but I believe the X-Box is currently losing around the profit margin of 7 to 8 games per console - which is fine, except the average number of games sold per console across the industry is 4.

Industry rumour is MS will lose between $500 million to $1 billion on the X-Box this year, with no relief in sight.

The X-Box is clearly technically superior, but unfortunately consumer electronics lives in a world where profit is king - and that is a real issue at the moment for Microsoft. They've picked a market where the major players are the most successful manufacturer/marketer of consumer electronics ever, and a wily and nimble industry veteran who has seen numerous competitors go bust.

Did you know Microsoft made what was basically a takeover offer for Nintendo in the formative stages of the X-Box? And, when the board at Nintendo saw the plans for the X-box, they thought the manufacturing would be too cumbersome to be effective...

Latest Posts

Back