Domestic B License

• Thread starter Swift
  • 72 comments
Synopsis of the 2nd thread in this forum called
Read This: GT4 Licenses Gold Medal Guide by The_Missing_Link

B1 - Driving Park Test Course 100m, Start and Stop; Mazda Demio (J) `99
B2 - Driving Park Test Course 200m, Start and Stop; Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo (J)
B3 - Deep Forest Raceway, Turn 1; Honda CR-X Del Sol SiR `92
B4 - Deep Forest Raceway, Turn 1; Nissan Silvia Q's Aero S14`96
B5 - Tsukuba Circuit, Full Pace Lap; Mini One '02
B6 - Driving Park Test Course 500m, Start and Stop; Renault Megane 2.0 16V `03
B7 - Driving Park Test Course 1000m, Start and Stop; Dodge Viper GTS `99
B8 - Twin Ring Motegi Road Course, Final Loop; Mazda MX-5 Miata J-Limited (NA, J) `91
B9 - Twin Ring Motegi Road Course, Final Loop; BMW M3 CSL `03
B10 - Laguna Seca Raceway, Full Pace Lap; Citroen C3 1.6 `02
B11 - Grand Canyon, Beginning of Switchbacks; Toyota Celica 2000GT-Four (ST165) `86
B12 - Swiss Alps, Fast Right; Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 `85
B13 - Tsukuba Circuit, Final Corner; Fiat Barchetta Giovane Due `00
B14 - EL Capitan, First set of turns; Infiniti G35 Coupe `03
B15 - Infineon Raceway, Full Pace Lap; Chrysler PT Cruiser `00
B16 - Tsukuba Circuit, Spoon Corner; BMW 120D '04

@ Doormeister, can't help you on the licence itself but it would make it easier for others if you had actually given them some idea of what the grad test entails. Not everyone will know straight away. :)
Have you tried reading the Gold medal licence guide https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64913

I found it right after I posted - it just wasn't inuitively obvious at first for me. Golded it shortly afterwards. Lots of good information and helpful vids too. thanks.

Both in the "Licenses Gold Medal Guide" for License Test B16 (Tsukuba Circuit, Spoon Corner; BMW 120D '04) of this site and the test description of the game itself there is talk about the first turn having to be taken flat out.

I keep trying but I don't understand how one could manage T1 flat out. I have to lift slightly in order to get through that turn. My best time so far is 0'23.459.

Has anyone successfully stayed on full throttle from the beginning of the test and all the way through T1. If not, I would contend that this is impossible to pull off.

I've done it once. You have to put three wheels on the dirt there (but not four :)). Even doing this, the exit is very hard to pull off cleanly without sliding off the track. Even pulling this off, I did not get gold. I haven't watched the demo, so I'm not sure how they do it.

Edit: In the demo run, they don't take the first turn full-throttle. There's a bit of a lift, but they don't lose much speed.

The guides are confusing, as you say. I found the "gold medal guide" for B-16 was way too brief to be of any use at all. I get the feeling the writer did it in 1 or 2 goes and didn't consider the finer points of it.

Put the guide line on to get the turn in point, but don't keep full throttle. If you start your turn in, lift gently for about half/three quarters the distance the guideline shows and get back on the gas firmly but smoothly you should be able to make the turn and have a good exit speed.

Don't go monstering the curbs as vehicle stability is the key to this corner - if you bump up and down on them your wheels will skid and you don't get the drive out. Again, keep it smooth and relax a bit.

From there, pretty much follow the guideline (maybe take a wider entry into the last corner, get on the gas a bit sooner). That should get you a gold medal.

Thank you for the input! That's what I thought as well. Physically impossible... I just needed a confirmation from other drivers. Couldn't agree more with your remarks. I was able to better my time by a couple of thousands to 0'23.451 now, but I think I'll leave it at that.

Basically, the Gold medal is pretty easy to get if you lift in the right moment and manage to stabilize the car through T1. I found that steering slightly to the left when you hear the tyres upon exiting helps a great deal, too.

Anyway, I kept trying to stay full throttle all the way because it's tempting (tried turning in earlier, etc.). If it were possible, it would greatly improve the overall time. But it's just not.

@kyle
Way to go! Can't believe you pulled that off. I see how you would significantly lose time doing it but hats off anyway!! Would have loved to see that manouver of you controlling the car :) I wasn't able to do it. If you can't get Gold... you'll find it in the last turn. Try opening the wheel as soon as possible and shift to 3rd gear as soon as the 57 appears.

christofire
The guides are confusing, as you say. I found the "gold medal guide" for B-16 was way too brief to be of any use at all. I get the feeling the writer did it in 1 or 2 goes and didn't consider the finer points of it.

Put the guide line on to get the turn in point, but don't keep full throttle. If you start your turn in, lift gently for about half/three quarters the distance the guideline shows and get back on the gas firmly but smoothly you should be able to make the turn and have a good exit speed.

Don't go monstering the curbs as vehicle stability is the key to this corner - if you bump up and down on them your wheels will skid and you don't get the drive out. Again, keep it smooth and relax a bit.

From there, pretty much follow the guideline (maybe take a wider entry into the last corner, get on the gas a bit sooner). That should get you a gold medal.

keleko
@kyle
Way to go! Can't believe you pulled that off. I see how you would significantly lose time doing it but hats off anyway!! Would have loved to see that manouver of you controlling the car :) I wasn't able to do it. If you can't get Gold... you'll find it in the last turn. Try opening the wheel as soon as possible and shift to 3rd gear as soon as the 57 appears.

It was, in fact, slower to take the turn flat out (hopping over curbs isn't the best way to keep a car balanced). I'm not sure why the license intro makes us all think that it is 1)necessary and 2)possible. Maybe something was lost in translation. I came ever so close to getting gold yesterday. I still need to work on the final corner as I have not found a comfortable way through it yet.

I feel really stupid about this but I can't seem to get gold on B5 - Tsukuba Circuit, Full Pace Lap; Mini One '02.
The closest I got was 1.27.248; 0.048s off! :ouch:
That took me forever to do though and I don't think I'll ever be able to do it again. I've read the Gold medal guide several times, studied the demo (how the f 🤬 does he do that?) and drove test laps but nothing gets me under 1.27.200. I'm at a loss here. Once again there must be something I'm overlooking since nobody else here seems to have particular problems with this test. And I know I am not the worst driver on this forum.
It would be a lot easier if I had a shadow I could chase and see in the demo where exactly I loose time. With just 2 intermediate times its really hard to tell what I'm doing wrong.
Does anybody have a video of a gold run on this test? I think it would really help me out.
This test is the last one I need to get all gold on National B. Can anyone please help me?

I can give you some supporting words by saying that this was one hell of a test and it took me about four hours of constant trying to do it. The key is smoothness and you should keep the car on 2nd gear in the hairpins if I recall right. Also slipstream as much as possible, the effect isn't too noticable but it may give you the missing fractions. 👍

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I AM SUCH AN IDIOT!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I tried licence B5 - Tsukuba Circuit, Full Pace Lap; Mini One '02 again and got gold on my 4th try!
All I had to do is coast through the last turn instead of breaking for it. I cant believe it was so simple. I wasted hours trying to get gold on this mission and in the end it was because of something so simple.
Oh wel, I'm just glad I figured it out eventually. Now its on to some of the more challenging IA and IB licences. I now have 49 golds and 31 silvers and I'm starting to believe I might one day have 80 gold. Unless the slalom tests give me a heartattach first :indiff:

Bad1
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I AM SUCH AN IDIOT!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I tried licence B5 - Tsukuba Circuit, Full Pace Lap; Mini One '02 again and got gold on my 4th try!
All I had to do is coast through the last turn instead of breaking for it. I cant believe it was so simple. I wasted hours trying to get gold on this mission and in the end it was because of something so simple.
Oh wel, I'm just glad I figured it out eventually. Now its on to some of the more challenging IA and IB licences. I now have 49 golds and 31 silvers and I'm starting to believe I might one day have 80 gold. Unless the slalom tests give me a heartattach first :indiff:

The Mini test was hard to gold.
The slalom tests I think are easier. Watch the replay and note the speeds you need to get gold.
Start of slow to get a feel for the car and when you need to steer. Then just keep adding to your pace. Turn the front wheels earlier than you think to keep the car settled as big wheel movements cause you to lose speed and control.

i'm trying to gold this license but the mini one is holding me back... anyways i just did the one with the G35 on el capitan, and the gold time was 18.100, and i got 18.099.

Ok this Mini one really is starting to tick me off...countless tries and I can barely break 1'27.8. Any tips for driving that hunk of junk well? Because I just cannot seem to get any real control out of it, and yea I'm using manual.

yeah I've been beating my head on the Mini Tsukuba in MT as well :banghead:

I've managed to shave some time by going to 3rd before the hairpins, then dropping clear into 1st gear while rounding them, but i'm still a full second from the gold after several hours :ouch:

I'd really like to gold all the tests in manual, but i'm on the verge of going auto for this one.

yeah i have some tips, dont try to force the little crappy car to much during corners as the tcs will bog u down. for the hairpins, as ur braking, try and stick to the inside as best as possible, and the fast right in the middle of the course can be taken at full throttle by using 3 2 wheels on grass trick, and the last corner, i just glide around it, and when the speed hits about 105, u accelerate out.

Bad1
I feel really stupid about this but I can't seem to get gold on B5 - Tsukuba Circuit, Full Pace Lap; Mini One '02.
The closest I got was 1.27.248; 0.048s off! :ouch:
That took me forever to do though and I don't think I'll ever be able to do it again. I've read the Gold medal guide several times, studied the demo (how the f 🤬 does he do that?) and drove test laps but nothing gets me under 1.27.200. I'm at a loss here. Once again there must be something I'm overlooking since nobody else here seems to have particular problems with this test. And I know I am not the worst driver on this forum.
It would be a lot easier if I had a shadow I could chase and see in the demo where exactly I loose time. With just 2 intermediate times its really hard to tell what I'm doing wrong.
Does anybody have a video of a gold run on this test? I think it would really help me out.
This test is the last one I need to get all gold on National B. Can anyone please help me?

I too had the hardest time getting gold on this test and I too got exactly 1'27".248 for my best score. What I found after what seemed like a thousand runs was that I could beat my best score on the first checkpoint by .2 - .4 tenths almost every time but would lose it all by the next checkpoint. My speed through the high speed right was always smooth and always 57 MPH. I found I was losing all my time in the hairpin before. The way I overcame this was to make sure I left a cars width between the mini and the rumples braking down to 37 MPH like the preview and never getting below 32 MPH. The difference this allows for is you get the car accelerating in the middle of the track instead of going slightly wide. Your speed when getting a bit wide may be 33-34 MPH but this always gives up time. Once I got this turn mastered gold was in my reach and I finally beat it for the last time.

I'm stuck on the mini mission too. In fact I've been stuck on around 1'28"00 for about 6 months now. I just cannot comprehend the reasoning behind putting such a bloody difficult and stressful mission only 5 missions into the game. Secondly I don't even believe it can be done, anyone who wishes to send me a video of it to prove it is more than welcome to, send me a PM and i'll let you know my email address. I have been solidly trying it for about 5 months now and I cant get any closer to the gold time. In fact just sitting here thinking about it makes me want to hurl that damn game as far as I can and smash this keyboard over the head of whoever decided on the time needed for the gold. That single mission has totally destroyed any enjoyment I would have liked to have gotten out of Gran Turismo 4 and has given me 5 months of total stress and tension every time I play it. But as I am a fighter I continue, even though I know the effort is totally futile and in vain. The day I manage to get gold, if ever, I will actually dance down my street naked. And they wonder why there is more violence due to stress related ilnesses.... :indiff:

I too had problems with B-5, but last night, I finally got gold (and cheered to myself quite loudly, probably made the neighbors wondering what was going on). Anyway, the trick seems to be diving very deep into the corners before braking. The downshift into 2nd for the corners seems to help a lot too.
On the first hairpin, don't hit the brake until you are almost to the rumble strip on your turn in. Then hit it hard and coast for a second until you know you won't understeer on the way out. You should get down to a bit over 40 on the hard braking and down to about 35 during coasting/initial acceleration out. The second hairpin is more of the same, except you should be in 3rd by the time you get there (through the slight S). Wait for a good amount of time, then turn in and brake hard, downshifting as appropriate. You don't need to brake for the right turn after the second hairpin, just let off the gas for a second to get started turning, then hit the line and power out. For the third hairpin, again wait quite a while (even still accelerating while turning in) before hitting the brakes hard and downshifting. Cruise around at about 35 and then hit the gas on the way out. Make sure through the whole thing that you're shifting just before the rev limiter hits (~40 to second, ~71 to third). For the long last corner, start turning in while still accelerating, then when you get to the inside of the corner, tap the brake to get down to about 70. Then feather the gas until the middle of the rumble strip and then hit it hard, keeping it smooth until the finish line. Just so you know, your splits should be about 26" at T1 and a bit under 50" at T2. Good luck. It is possible.

Holy crap this Mini test is driving me nuts. Hours later and the closest I got was within .2 or so of the time, and I can't seem to duplicate that. This and the PT Cruiser test are the only ones I can't gold...

And after soooooo long I finally golded the Graduation test! I was driving incorrectly all along...

Oh my god, finally. After about 12 hours slaving away on B16, I got my gold. Every time I started again (it wasn't 12 hours straight), I had gotten so close (23.749, 23.733, etc.), and I finally got it. Hurray for all golds on B! :D

I can't believe B7 took me so long; it's the braking test with the Viper. I was always off by 0.250 from gold.

It turns out that you lose so much time when the wheels spin; just start the car off in 2nd gear (not 1st), and brake at 820m or so (press R3), and it's an easy gold trophy. Duh.

I´ve got a question especially to hollo:
How can i make the car´s at B3 and B6 to brake out with the back?
I wached your replays and tryed to make the same but i wasn´t able to do it... can sb help me pls :sly:

Uhoh
Can't remember exact details atm but are you using the R3 lines?
Sorry i meant the b2 and b6 where you´ve got to start and brake with the Mitsubishi 3000 and the Renault Megane. Holl01 did something like a drift into finish.
PS: My times B2: 10,699
B6: 22,198

zocker_16
Sorry i meant the b2 and b6 where you´ve got to start and brake with the Mitsubishi 3000 and the Renault Megane. Holl01 did something like a drift into finish.
PS: My times B2: 10,699
B6: 22,198

Try this the moment you start breaking, slightly steer left then hard right, or first right then left, it'll help the car stop a little faster. But IMO you don't need that to gold this test, as far as I can remember I didn't need the trick and just perfected the starting point of the break to gold those tests.

Good luck 👍 on your gold quest and remember...... it can be done.... :sly:

Back