Doog's Mercedes-Benz E350: My Biggest Update Yet

• Thread starter Doog
  • 338 comments
Great-looking example of an E39. They're among my favourite BMWs, which I suspect I'm not alone on. Hope you get the radiator and torque converter done and dusted with no problems đź‘Ť

Thank you. As far as 5ers go, the E39's my favorite, though immaculate E28s give them a run for their money. The torque converter doesn't need to be fixed right away, but the radiator does. Speaking of which, the Bimmer will be driven some distance for the first time since December 26th to stay the night at the mechanic's house so it can be taken to a shop and repaired on Wednesday. Hopefully I'll have a little silver Bimmer that I can actually use in the driveway by the end of the week.

I hate to say this, but I've heard from a few local BMW Car Club members who own one like yours mention that the automatic transmissions on these are notoriously weak...

Good luck, Doog. I've always loved the E39, and I think a 530i with those sport wheels have looked fantastic. I would love to see you getting this back on the road and enjoying this car.

I hate to say this, but I've heard from a few local BMW Car Club members who own one like yours mention that the automatic transmissions on these are notoriously weak...

Good luck, Doog. I've always loved the E39, and I think a 530i with those sport wheels have looked fantastic. I would love to see you getting this back on the road and enjoying this car.

In all the research, owner reviews and forum lurking I did, I never noticed any comments on the 530i's gearbox, but then again Bimmerfest's E39 section has a higher percentage of 540i owners compared to any other trim level. Most of those who have 530is have the manual, so I can see why I didn't hear much about the autobox's longevity. I'm feeling two main issues right now, but both seem to go away once the car's warmed up. At a stop, I feel this sort of odd vibration, thudding feeling, which our mechanic told me was the torque converter. When I shift into from park into reverse, there's a slight delay, followed by a very noticeable lurch as it gets into gear. Odd stuff, I must say.

My mom was very impressed with the car when she saw it for the first time and decided that a mechanical inspection wouldn't be needed, which we've now learned was a costly mistake. If she'd known of the problems, there wouldn't be a 530i in the driveway, or rather the mechanic's driveway now, as it awaits repairs tomorrow. If I heard that the car would need work after she looked at it, I would've said no as well. That said, if the car were to be sold, I'd regret it immensely. The car's so nice cosmetically, and the driving experience is so satisfyingly precise. Luckily, the Bimmer's not going anywhere. The torque converter issue will be dealt with when it becomes a bigger issue. Other than that, I'm attached to the car, even with its unexpected issues. Not being able to drive it is slightly torturous, but it's better than whatever bland Corolla I would've been given if I wasn't a car enthusiast.

Thanks for the suggestion, but naaaaah. Not feeling the criss-cross look.

The radiator was fixed on Wednesday as promised, but one of the hoses didn't fit. The hose situation will be fixed in a month. The car runs and drives just fine, though it is leaking something on the driveway; don't remember what it was. Floored it for the first time yesterday while coming onto a highway, motor sounds great as it smoothly revved up to 7000 revs and smoothly upshifted. Doesn't quite pull like a big black Lexus, but it's more than sufficient.

11917620514_6f30fa6be8_h.jpg

11917450143_1fec5487da_h.jpg

I can feel that uneven spacing making OCDers' blood boil already.

Bought some NGK spark plugs and two cabin air filters on...Thursday? Replaced the air filters, which removed that dusty smell I'd been dealing with for a month. The only problem is that the dust was masking the rather gross burning smell from my torque converter. Whenever I park the car, I can smell it for a few hours around it, but now I can smell it a little bit inside the car, which is a bit annoying. The spark plugs joined the correct radiator hose in a small pile of boxes in the garage to be installed on the car soon. The car still lurches into reverse, but not every single time. The engine continues to run healthily, and the brakes seem to be doing well.

12021878043_cfe810ab1e_h.jpg

There's a similar reputation in the UK, actually. I'm not sure how common it is, but by about 120k miles is when some start failing. I believe it's at least partly to do with the fact the transmissions are classed as "sealed for life" so when the car is serviced BMW doesn't change the ATF. A few details, UK-wise, here.

Likewise though, glad to hear the car is still going well @Doog.

Wooa I've been gone for a couple of months, hadn't seen this.
You'll probably find this useful/funny (Some profanity)

Half of those apply to any BMW owner in the E3x range :lol:

Also, cleaning BMW wheels is probably what people have to do in Hell for the rest of time.

Wooa I've been gone for a couple of months, hadn't seen this.
You'll probably find this useful/funny (Some profanity)

Haha I can relate to a few of those as an e46 owner. "Asten eatbelts" had me laughing. Crappy early 00's lcd screens.

And I think the style 135 wheels from zhp's take the cake for the most pain in the ass to clean.

Haha I can relate to a few of those as an e46 owner. "Asten eatbelts" had me laughing. Crappy early 00's lcd screens.

And I think the style 135 wheels from zhp's take the cake for the most pain in the ass to clean.
220Ms look even harder.
220-19-22-inch-genuine-bmw-3-series-m3-e90-e92-e93-alloy-wheels-style-220-rims-tyres51fe2a3730875_720x600.jpg

This is the most beautiful location for a drive-through bank that I've ever seen. Luckily (for me), it appears to be out of service, though the better photos came from the golf club next door.

12244220276_b303c48d8d_h.jpg

12244067194_e8a1a5d688_h.jpg

12244066024_aa198a3f33_h.jpg

12244214116_11903cff6f_h.jpg

12243631735_48dc48df4c_h.jpg

12243628015_653e847fac_h.jpg

Edit: and now it has 66,000 under its belt.

12246064954_035c2e3e04_h.jpg

Last edited:
If and when the output display on your instrument cluster goes out (or at least to the point where you can't stand it anymore), there are places that will fix it for a reasonable amount of money.

Nice to see you back in the car.

If and when the output display on your instrument cluster goes out (or at least to the point where you can't stand it anymore), there are places that will fix it for a reasonable amount of money.

Nice to see you back in the car.
M5board currently has a promotion going in the vendors section where you send the cluster and they fix the ribbon for $75 which Is half the usual price. Seems like a pretty good Deal IMO

The car cover finally came this afternoon and it appears to fit well over the Bimmer.

12465996254_f29f47d047_h.jpg

I've been waiting anxiously to use leatherique on my front seats which, typical to an aging E39, have a bit of wear. There's some wear on the bolsters from getting in and out of the car, but the seats themselves are in decent shape. I'm hoping the seats will appear cleaner after the treatment, which involves the car sitting in the sun for a day. It's supposed to be 80 degrees this weekend, so I look forward to trying it then.

Back