drafting

• Thread starter rev
  • 7 comments

rev

I have noticed something that doesn't realistic about the drafting in GT4. When a car is cornering, the slipstream of the car seems to drift to the out side of the car.

example:
When you are directly behind a car that is cornering, you are not in the slipstream. Yet, when you are on the outside of that car you are in the slipstream.

Is this accurate?
I think that this does not happen in GT3, but I really don't remember...

crosswinds, maybe?

Likely the slipstream is merely placed geometrically behind the car, and not where the car has been. So if the car is angled to the left (in a baned turn), then the "slipstream" is angled out to the right.

I've never noticed myself, will look later. If this is true, it is probably a method of cutting down on calculation load for the game engine.

The slipstream is supposed to be to the outside of a car in a turn. Physics and fluid mechanics.

what i'm curius of is if they actually modeled the "wash" behind the car.
because i've been noticing that it certainly feels like my car has no front downforce in a corner when i'm behind someone at high speed.

I can always tell if I am in a slipstream through sound(might need it kinda loud).
When you are in a slipstream, that rumbling sound of the air going past the car becomes much more quiet and sometimes disappears all together.

The other glitch with the slipstream is that it doesn't dissapate at a constant rate. You'll notice that when you first enter the draft (about 100yards behind the car producing it) that it is just as strong as it is up to about 10 yards of the vehicle. Between 10 yards, and the back bumper it is jumps up a notch. It should gradually get stronger as you get closer.

Also, it doesn't work at 49mph, but at 50mph it works the same as it would at 150mph. It should gradually get stronger and longer as speed is increased.

However, they did accurately replicate multicar drafting. I.E. the large, wide hole in the air caused by two cars side by side, or multiple cars in a line. They also accuately replicated the dreaded, "areo push." Which is very evident entering Infenion turn 1 in the draft at 130mph in a race car.

To really get the feel for the draft in this game go do the Skyline Drafting mission in the Missions Hall. Not sure what number it is, but it is very hard to win.

rsmithdrift
<snip>

To really get the feel for the draft in this game go do the Skyline Drafting mission in the Missions Hall. Not sure what number it is, but it is very hard to win.

It's mission 23 - I still haven't managed to beat it - it's a real cat & mouse type of drafting battle...

UMP

Back