• Thread starter Duke
  • 7 comments

Duke

Keep 'em separated
Staff Emeritus
United States
Midlantic Area
GTP_Duke
I was just reading through Der Alta's excellent GT3 writeup yet again, having just run the amateur Dream Car series last night. It's funny how similar our experiences were (thanks again for the excellent benchmark information, AO!). AO ran it in the Altezza LM car.

Having no LM car (at the time), I thought about running either my Camaro racer (too powerful) or my CLK tourer. I opted instead for my bone-stock ZZII on medium slicks, which was typically capable of qualifying 3rd or 2nd (when I bothered to qualify, since I started last every race).

Deep Forest: 01':13.86"
Laguna: wups! forgot
Route 5: 01':22.68"
Apricot Hill: 01':18.88" fun!
Route 11: 01':57.31" not fun!
Grand Valley II: 01':51.97"

Starting from the basement, I was usually able to make it to 3rd by halfway through the first lap, or sometimes later if there was too much rubbing in the pack (whichn happened a lot with the cars closely matched). Then I would spend the next lap or two reeling in the dominant 1st and 2nd place cars (usually the RX-7 and Altezza). On nearly every race I had just caught the leader during the 4th lap (or was just about to) when that car would pit, leaving the 5th lap as an excercise for the student. Interestingly enough, the dominant 2nd place finisher was the other ZZII, I assume because it didn't pit on the 5-lappers either. It was usually 6-9 seconds behind me at the flag. I pitted after the fourth lap of the 7-lap GV finale, just because I had a comfortable lead, and everybody else already had. I dropped to third, but regained the lead within the lap.

I silvered on the Test Course, losing to the FTO by 0.007" out of a 9-minute race. I didn't have the HP to stay in front of him, and I was a little early on my final slingshot pass, apparently, because he got back around me.
:mad: :mad: :mad:
In comparing my laptimes with AO's (in his Altezza LM car), I see that the 570-hp ZZII was consistently 1-1.5 seconds slower on every course.

After seriously considering the FTO as a prize, I took instead the RWD RX-7 LM. I don't have an RX-7, and by the time I'm through winning the 30 or so Skylines and Evos, I'll have plenty of fast 4WD cars.

Hehe I went through this series 3 times
1st time with my Opel Astra Touring car with hard tyres and Spec 1 NA tuning Gives around 560/570 bhp
2nd Time with my Gillet Vertigo with the same hard tyres and Spec 1 NA Tune although It gave me only 540/530 bhp
3rd Time with a Stock Panoz Esperante apart from guess what hard tyres. I cant remember the laptimes I got because this was like 3 months ago (Im amazed I can remember what cars I used)

On the test course races I always turn the TCS back on if my car is an eqivalent power and lower the aero parts to the lowest they can go (im sure you already did that). The TCS helps for a great start if you get a good start you usually can stay out of the way and not let anyone else get into your slipstream, although you dont gain any more time.

The RX7-LM is a great car its very fast and handles great, its just a shame I have loads of other great cars or I would actually drive the thing.

Neon: Thanks for the Kudos. I'm planning on offering the Full write-up to Jordan when it's finished. So hopefully all that hard work I did will benefit more than a few people. I'd post the link, but the host site right now wouldn't like the traffic it might bring.

Very similar times indeed.

Deep Forest: 01':10.999
Laguna: 01'19.456
Route 5: 1'21.387
Apricot Hill: 1'17.880
Route 11: 01':53.156
Grand Valley II: 01':49.782

Congrats on making it through. I'm thinking that by this time, you're nearing the end of amateur level? I've been away from GT3 for nearly 3 weeks, and am looking for a good long session this weekend.

Like knocking out 2 or 3 enduros.

On the FTO note, I was only able to win the race, by driving in a spot on the track, that the FTO avoided. Thereby eliminating his ability to draft. Although he did pass me near the end of hte 4th lap. The final difference was 0.654 seconds. Very close considering all the other races were 20+/- seconds margins.

AO

Actually, no, I'm only about 1/3 or less through the Amateur level: Japan, Europe, America, DTC; FF, FR, MR, Skyline; and Dream Cars. I spend more time here than I do playing - I only get a couple of 2-hour sessions a week.
:(
I tried staying all the way to the inside, on the lower white line, but the FTO just had enough HP to pull me. Running a short freight train with the FTO, I was able to get the ZZII up to 217 mph @8500 rpm. One notch shorter on the gearing and I might have made 220 right at the rev limiter. I also still had a fair amount of downforce dialed in; I might squeeze a few mph that way too.

Originally posted by neon_duke
I was just reading through Der Alta's excellent GT3 writeup yet again, having just run the amateur Dream Car series last night. It's funny how similar our experiences were (thanks again for the excellent benchmark information, AO!). AO ran it in the Altezza LM car.

Having no LM car (at the time), I thought about running either my Camaro racer (too powerful) or my CLK tourer. I opted instead for my bone-stock ZZII on medium slicks, which was typically capable of qualifying 3rd or 2nd (when I bothered to qualify, since I started last every race).

Deep Forest: 01':13.86"
Laguna: wups! forgot
Route 5: 01':22.68"
Apricot Hill: 01':18.88" fun!
Route 11: 01':57.31" not fun!
Grand Valley II: 01':51.97"

Starting from the basement, I was usually able to make it to 3rd by halfway through the first lap, or sometimes later if there was too much rubbing in the pack (whichn happened a lot with the cars closely matched). Then I would spend the next lap or two reeling in the dominant 1st and 2nd place cars (usually the RX-7 and Altezza). On nearly every race I had just caught the leader during the 4th lap (or was just about to) when that car would pit, leaving the 5th lap as an excercise for the student. Interestingly enough, the dominant 2nd place finisher was the other ZZII, I assume because it didn't pit on the 5-lappers either. It was usually 6-9 seconds behind me at the flag. I pitted after the fourth lap of the 7-lap GV finale, just because I had a comfortable lead, and everybody else already had. I dropped to third, but regained the lead within the lap.

I silvered on the Test Course, losing to the FTO by 0.007" out of a 9-minute race. I didn't have the HP to stay in front of him, and I was a little early on my final slingshot pass, apparently, because he got back around me.
:mad: :mad: :mad:
In comparing my laptimes with AO's (in his Altezza LM car), I see that the 570-hp ZZII was consistently 1-1.5 seconds slower on every course.

After seriously considering the FTO as a prize, I took instead the RWD RX-7 LM. I don't have an RX-7, and by the time I'm through winning the 30 or so Skylines and Evos, I'll have plenty of fast 4WD cars.

and where might i find this right up?

AO usually posts his writeups by race series or event. If you search the GT3 board for the words "blow by blow" you will find them, or search for posts by "Der Alta".

He's compiling it all, I know, but I don't think it's ready for public consumption yet.

As Neon_Duke stated, the "GT3 Blow by Blow" compendium that I have been writing, is not ready for public consumption. I've only documented about 78% of the game. From my F1 series (On the second trip through the game), to the restart, and up to my current position. Which is about 1/2 of the enduros and roughly 9/10 of Pro mode left to complete.

If enough interest were shown, I might open it up in it's unfinished and beginner HTML'd form. (It's near 80pages) I'm unfortunately a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to showing off my work.

Thanks for the interest, but to quote Neon, do a search for "Write-up" and you'll find quite a bit of info similar to Neon's notes.

AO

I used the zz11 as well because many of the cars are lots faster than you. When on test course the FTO always wins but only by 1/10 of a second.

Back