Drift Line Selection - a Discussion

Boundary Layer

navigating a sea of fools
Premium
GTP_Brent
been kinda quiet here the last few days, not many new topics popping up.
so yup, time for a discussion, gotta get more activity and debate. It keeps stuff interesting

So, the big question is:
When you drift, do you try to maintain a traditional racing (outside, inside, outside) line? or do you do something different?
such as intentionally drift wide around the turn,
begin your drift at an unassuming point (very early, very late)
etc etc​

and also:
Why do you choose this line?
because you've seen others do it that way?
because it's your style?
does the way you select a line change from one track to another?
etc​

Perhaps you could explain how you setup your drifts around your favourite, or most comfortable, track. And explain why you choose to drift it in this manner, if it seems like an original way of approaching it.

hrm, this sounds like its derived form a horrible high-school english assignment. Oh well... :sly:

note, please do what you can to not turn this into a drift vs grip thread, b/c that is not the intent :)
thanks

ok, go!
👍

I try a traditional line, but that is because i am a Gripper, who every now in then likes to get very sideways. it is really a matter for me of seeing what i think i should see at a section of a track.

If I'm drifting for speed (Aka: Tandem Practice) I will take a normal out-in-out racing line. I will also modify that line for complex corners so that I can hit multiple apexes while drifting. When doing this, I will generally slide at a reduced angle and initiate drifts where I would with normal turn-in. Finally, I will, depending on the car, try to slide all four wheels beginning at the apex of applicable corners.

If I'm drifting for show (Aka: Solo Practice) I will modify a normal line so that I can carry a higher angle; still hitting apexes but going wide on sweepers. I usually start the drift early and try to achieve a dramatic (fast) step out upon initiation. And the best part.. when sliding complex corners I use excess angle to create virtual apexes so I can drift entire complex corners wether I am accelerating or decelerating.

>> Why do you choose this line?

Because that's how it's done IRL.

>> Does the way you select a line change from one track to another?

Not really.

When you drift, do you try to maintain a traditional racing (outside, inside, outside) line? or do you do something different?

I try to follow a traditional racing line for the most part. Alot of times though due to poor setup for the turn I kind of have to wing it and just do what I can to keep the car on the track, which I think is more important than having a nice long smooth drift that sends you flying off the track in the end.

Why do you choose this line?

Following the ideal racing line generally provides you with the longest, smoothest curve to work with. I try to do this with all tracks, It doesnt always happen that way but I try my best.

Perhaps you could explain how you setup your drifts around your favourite, or most comfortable, track. And explain why you choose to drift it in this manner, if it seems like an original way of approaching it.

Ill answer this one more like "How do I learn a track for drifting?"
I try to run a few laps with the drift car, but try to grip drive as much as possible to learn the grip limits for all the turns, and the ideal line for them. Then I start pushing the limits while trying to hold the Ideal racing line. The thing ive found to work best is to not pay so much attention to the road right in front of the car, but farther up ahead, anticipating how you are going to exit the turn and set yourself up for the next turn.

well it depends; If I take a inside line, I have to hit the gas more to break traction but it doesn't work all the time sadly TT_TT

I think I stay near-ish a racing line. I tend to kick the car sideways before it's actually in the corner, and while going sideways control my forward movement so that I'm as close to the wall/grass as possible at the apex. I like following the inside for as much of the corner as possible too. I think I drift the way I do because I started to love sliding by doing a lot of dirt driving in AWD cars. It's dictated my style.

A lot of people slide along the outside edge of the track, but I've never liked that as much. I just love it when the front of the car is almost skimming the inside, especially with walls. That comes from watching the first bunch of Initial D, years ago, heh.

Red Raevyn
A lot of people slide along the outside edge of the track, but I've never liked that as much. I just love it when the front of the car is almost skimming the inside, especially with walls. That comes from watching the first bunch of Initial D, years ago, heh.

Finally, a reference to Initial D that makes good sense!

I like to take a line that gets me close to the wall at exit. That usually is the standard racing line. I absolutely love it when the front tires just miss the inside of the corner and at exit the car comes within a few inches off the wall/sand/grass. That's just good stuff to me.

like drifting onto the rumblestrip but not into the grass 👍 quite an adrenaline rush when your really in the zone so to speak. :D

i usually try and take the basic line, outside-inside-outside. i usually try and get as close to the wall or rumble strip and stay near it at the exit.

When I drift I try to get as close to the inside wall as possible without hitting it.

>> Why do you choose this line?

I feel that if I take the closest line I can prepare for the next turn quicker

>> Does the way you select a line change from one track to another?

No, not really.

When I drift I like getting close to the walls as I can. Reason is, its more dangerous and in my opinion more daring to see because there is little room for mistakes.

"More risk equals more reward"

One of the lines for approaching this is coming from a fient from the outside where the rear kicks out near the outside curve and drifting towards the inside wall and hugging the apex like Takumi does with the front wheel drop and exiting on the outside of the curve.

Or

I like just staying on the outside the whole time. I will try to get my rear wheels close to the outside as possible from the begining to the end of the drift. Close to a point that maybe it touches the dirt and kicks some dirt up. For me, this is more difficult to do than the first style explained above because it requires more precesion when entering so that you don't overshoot and drift off the course.

I take some practice first and then after a few laps, I know just ONE line that works for me, it isn't always a logical line, but it mostly the ONLY line where I can drift thrue properly, that's almost everytime the racing line, except for corners that are opposite of eachother, that means where I need to link them(I like this thread:dopey: ) Now this is sometimes different from the entrance and exit, wich I want to stretch and pull as early as entrance possible to an as long as possible exit (I think that just looks cool) But the apex is almost always the same, it just is THE moment where it's decided if I exit good or not.

Also, I like the exit to be UNstable, just increasing the angle a bit at the exit makes the car look like he's REALLY out of control, but again WITH a lot of control........if you know what I mean. Also a LOT OF ANGLE, and A LOT of smoke makes me go :crazy:👍 And so smootheness does mean something to me, but not much, it's something I don't really look at. I make corners usually with feints except for long turns, where I just powerslide for the longetivity

I like especially El Capitan and Grand Valley because of these things I like, plus I think they're challenging but I begin to get them under control:tup:

And how I approach some corners? Well, I just need a vid. to explain.

I >BELIEVE<(not sure) heard TS say in some comment on some vid. that the particular person should DEcrease his angle at the exit's, meaning a smooth exit...........that's where drifting rules stop with me, and my personal preferences begin, I just don't like it.

Well, this is a bit how I drift (very fun this thread, compliments to TS:tup: )

Edit: mmm.....^it almost looks like a small biography doesn't it^:)

G-T-4-Fan
Also, I like the exit to be UNstable, just increasing the angle a bit at the exit makes the car look like he's REALLY out of control, but again WITH a lot of control........if you know what I mean. Also a LOT OF ANGLE, and A LOT of smoke makes me go :crazy:👍 And so smootheness does mean something to me, but not much, it's something I don't really look at. I make corners usually with feints except for long turns, where I just powerslide for the longetivity

I know what you mean here. I agree, that extra unstable push at the exit always looks hot! Its analogous to finishing a slam dunk. You can slam it or you can slam it down like Vince Carter and really put some energy in it. I have a good example I will try and upload it.

This is a video I made for my S2000 club, if you saw my previous video it might contain an recycled clip, but most are new.
CLICK
Check out the second drift done in the Berlina Black S2000, this is an example of the extended exit that I'm talking about.

BreakerOhio
I know what you mean here. I agree, that extra unstable push at the exit always looks hot! Its analogous to finishing a slam dunk. You can slam it or you can slam it down like Vince Carter and really put some energy in it. I have a good example I will try and upload it.

This is a video I made for my S2000 club, if you saw my previous video it might contain an recycled clip, but most are new.
CLICK
Check out the second drift done in the Berlina Black S2000, this is an example of the extended exit that I'm talking about.

THANKS man:dopey: YEAH you've got it, you can pull it off even BETTER I'd say:) I hope I get that card REALLY SSSOOOOOONNNN!! I've got some of that too, but your countesteer even makes it shoot back straight again if you know what I mean, while I use settings that allow it a bit more GT3 style exit, slowly increase in angle, but not that fast push straight again afterwards like you did. Yeah it looks good:tup:

This is how I attack the turns Tankspanker.

This is a short demo clip of my Spec C on Trial Mountain turns 4-5 connected.
I drift with a preferred out-in-out method.

I'm still a bit shabby with GT4 but here you go anyways haha.
I found it very hard to maintain deeper angles when I knew i had to have enough juice to get all the way to the next turn.

Spec C out-in-out drift-line Demo VIA yousendit

In fact, this is a little sneak at my next movie. enjoy :) .

ForcedInduction

I found it very hard to maintain deeper angles when I knew i had to have enough juice to get all the way to the next turn.

Spec C out-in-out Demo VIA yousendit

Now I confess, I DO like smooth too, this looked very smooth and delicate and I liked it alot:tup:

I'm sure this will fall into the matter of opinion catagory, but, If you are adding angle at the exit (unless you are about to enter another corner) you are only slowing the car down and looking sloppy. You want both outside wheels to be parallel and on the marble for speed/look.

d3p0
Best 4WD drifting I've seen so far, though, trial mountain is so tired.

REEAAALLLLYYY CAN'T WAIT FOR POSTING MY VIDS. I GARANTEE YOU, I CAN DO THAT TOO:D:D:D(sorry I'm just freakin out right now out of desperation)

d3p0
I'm sure this will fall into the matter of opinion catagory, but, If you are adding angle at the exit (unless you are about to enter another corner) you are only slowing the car down and looking sloppy. You want both outside wheels to be parallel and on the marble for speed/look.

I know what you're talking about d3p0. But the banked curve inside the tunnel made me lose the angle i already had, and as i full throttled after losing the angle on the banked turn, i could only add angle.

I hope you understand what i mean. For that instance right there, i need to full throttle with 0 countersteer to get to the next 90degree turn.

Edit: Yea i just recorded this in practice session just now. Sorry for the shabby work.

ForcedInduction
I know what you're talking about d3p0. But the banked curve inside the tunnel made me lose the angle i already had, and as i full throttled after losing the angle on the banked turn, i could only add angle.

I hope you understand what i mean. For that instance right there, i need to full throttle with 0 countersteer to get to the next 90degree turn.

Had that same problems often too, so I think he knows what your meaning:sly:👍

ForcedInduction

Edit: Yea i just recorded this in practice session just now. Sorry for the shabby work.

Sorry, I didn't mean for that to sound like criticism, I just meant in general. And actually, I was watching Breaker's S2000 when I wrote that comment; specifically the part right before the tunnel. Finally, yes, it can be difficult to get to the edge, especially on a corner like that. My suggestion would be; go in faster and maybe run less camber.

d3p0
Sorry, I didn't mean for that to sound like criticism, I just meant in general. And actually, I was watching Breaker's S2000 when I wrote that comment; specifically the part right before the tunnel. Finally, yes, it can be difficult to get to the edge, especially on a corner like that. My suggestion would be; go in faster and maybe run less camber.

No, criticism is welcome here 👍
But after experiencing AWD in the game for quite some time, AWD drivetrains are weak at banked curves. There's not much I can do.

Here's the link again for the people who don't know what we're talking about 💡

spec C out-in-out drift-line demo

ForcedInduction

Spec C out-in-out drift-line Demo VIA yousendit

FI, it's videos like this that remind me why I don't like you!!! ;)

Good stuff bud. And a good video explaination of line.

For those of us that think Trial Mountain is tired...Well, it's a common track and excellent for showing various techniques. That's really good especially for new drifters.

Swift
FI, it's videos like this that remind me why I don't like you!!! ;)

Good stuff bud. And a good video explaination of line.

For those of us that think Trial Mountain is tired...Well, it's a common track and excellent for showing various techniques. That's really good especially for new drifters.
Heh, we have to retired that track and move to EL captain

hah i just did that 2 days ago :D

that really big hill (the one you can get some really sweet jumps off of) makes for some really sweet drifts because of the drastic weight transfer. :D

nightkids4ever
Heh, we have to retired that track and move to EL captain

Ah, I must've missed the memo. :dopey:

El Capitain is such a long track though. If anything I figured Tsukuba or something. :dunce:

Swift
Ah, I must've missed the memo. :dopey:

El Capitain is such a long track though. If anything I figured Tsukuba or something. :dunce:
Lol, Tsukuba isn't that bad, even if you can link like 4 of its turns ^_^

ahahah i use that little u turn coming out of the 3 turn? its a right turn then into the u turn that goes to the left. you can go stright but i like using that thing
-TD

Latest Posts

Back