Drift Settings questions - How to fix snap understeer?

I tried to make my own drift settings to post, but there's a problem with the settings when i make them i usually turn the oversteer traction control 0 but with cars like the nissna skyline, at the exit of the drift they suddenly spin in the other direction, does anyone no why this happens?

Also, if this is so, how do i make the car spin without messing around with the traction control? i have already messed around with the torque distribution but i can't make it spin!

Can i get any help please? Also if this belongs in the settings depot then sorry!

what u experiencing is called "snapback" check This Thread out ;)
BL i hope u dont mind me quoting u :)

Source: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57146
Boundary Layer
On sharp corners it is often possible to whip the car nearly perpendicular to the corner apex and just rely on momentum to carry you to the exit of the corner. On longer corners however, things become more difficult. If your drift angle is too large your car may either come to a sudden halt or spin-out. This has occurred because you were not steering into the drift enough [countersteering] and/or you were giving the car too much throttle. On the other hand, if you lose your drift angle mid corner or encounter violent snapback at the corner exit you may be required to countersteer less and/or apply more throttle.

Boundary Layer
Slipperier tires require less effort to generate slip (duh), but may be more difficult to control
Grippier tires will require more drastic weight transfer and/or more power to initiate and maintain a drift.
Grippier tires are more likely to cause snapback when exiting a drift.

Boundary Layer
i. Spring Rates:

As you may have read in Scaff’s guide, spring rates directly influence how the car reacts to weight transfer. To a large degree they determine where the car’s mass is supported under neutral loading, and where it will ‘travel’ if you were to turn or brake. A general rule to keep in mind is that the stiffer you make one end of a car, the less grip will be available there (of course there are exceptions made for extreme settings, but that is not for this guide to cover).

Effects:
Stiffened front spring rate (relative to previous setting)
More responsive turn in. You can throw the car into the corner more aggressively.
Less mechanical grip may result in understeer at mid-corner (don’t necessarily view this as bad from a drifting point of view!).
Overstiffening can cause loss of contact with the road through bumps, etc.
May indirectly amplify the effects of snapback at corner exit.

Boundary Layer
A lower setting allows a greater speed differential between left and right tires during engine braking & deceleration. This makes for a more maneuverable car and a decrease in understeer at corner entry.
A higher setting does exactly the inverse.
A setting that is too high will create excessive understeer at corner entry and seems to contribute to snapback exiting a drift.

check that thread out, its exteremly helpful. it provides solutions to ur snapback problem 👍

Perfect reply FaLLeNAn9eL 👍
oh, except you left out what that last quote was about - it's taking about LSD Decel

To sum up, you may find the following setting modifications helpful in reducing that snapback you've encountered:
  • Reduced ride height [take care not to limit suspension travel too much]
  • Stiffer rear spring rate [within reason]
  • Stiffer damper settings
  • Stiffer rear stabilizer [again, within reason]
  • Lower LSD decel and/or initial torque settings

but keep in mind that its the combination of all your settings that will determine your car's exact handling. If there is something fundamentally flawed elsewhere in your setup, the effectiveness of these modifications will be diminished [ie - if your car is bottoming out, etc]

The only way you will fully eliminate the snapback [or snap oversteer, whatever you'd prefer to call it] is to have very tidy steering work.

edit: I re-read the first post, and the issue seems to be with AWD's spinning at corner exit - not FR's. I'm not so hot with AWD's so I can't suggest a definite solution in that case. But the answer may lie in your front LSD settings and your throttle input as you exit the corner, in addition to the other suggestions listed in this thread.

To help you again, youre not really supposed to reply witg just smileys, it falls into the category of "spamming" and wastes space for the boards.

BTW, you sure are posting a lot... [:)]

allright, back on topic, please.

BL, isn't it also true that longer wheelbase stabilizes the car, making it bit harder to rotate? ( which is why I mostly prefer drifting more compact MR's )

Thus, choosing a car with short wheelbase ( For example MX-5/Miata ), the handling is quicker, even too quick in some cases, making the car better for tighter tracks and shorter, precise drifts. ( Autumn Ring )

Longer wheelbase then, is better for long, stabile drifts, like most FR/AWD layout cars. ( Corvette ZR-1 on Apricot Hill for example. Lovely.) Of course, the location of the engine and power level has their little fingers in the play too, not to mention tyre compound, track surface ( even in GT4 ) and so on.

Thinking that suspension is the only thing that effects on handling is bit like thinking that it's air what you're breathing.

Thinking that suspension is the only thing that effects on handling is bit like thinking that it's air what you're breathing.

Of course there are other factors that contribute to how a car handles than just your suspension settings. Neither FaLLeNAn9eL or myself said that there wasn't. That's not really the point here though, this thread was about minimizing snap oversteer once you've already tried drifting and setting a car up. Good luck changing your wheelbase from the settings menu.

One thing that (Edit: ALMOST) hasn't been mentioned yet: Weight distribution. If you got a FR or an AWD with an engine that's

a) very heavy
b) mounted too far in front
c) not mounted longitudionally

you may get snap understeer or just understeer generally because the car is just too nose-heavy. In that case, add a little weight to the back of the car (example [PAL]: 35kg / 50 [means rear]) until you reach a weight distribution that works for you (50%-50% or even more rear-biased).

Of course you may not be happy to carry around ballast in your highly tuned car... but IMHO a nicely balanced car is worth the hassle and much more rewarding to drive.

Edit: Or you can of course stick to MR's and FR's that come already nicely balanced when you buy them (for Example any NSX, Lotus Elise, S2000, M3 CSL, Hachiroku et cetera).

it seems like adding toe-in would help with this problem, and nailing it out of a corner (tricky) would probably reduce this.

i always found the best thing to do for snap understeer is work more on steering smoother back to TDC...

that indeed is one of the best methods. even the best suspension setup can't save you if you can't control the steering input accurately.

Why do you call it snap understeer? I'm very curious, since its always been know as Snap Oversteer, since you suddenly oversteer in the direction you are counter steering, resulting in a spinout. Understeer is simply the lose of traction on the front wheels, so if the car is pivoting based on the direction of the front tires, its hardly understeer...

That aside, the best method is to simply stop countersteering a bit earlier than you are at the moment. This is what I have to do in GT4 at times. In real life its easier to feel the point to stop counter steering, which comes earlier in shorter wheel based cars I think.

The other bit is do NOT get off the gas suddenly to regain traction, tap the brakes, or anything else that would shift weight on to the front wheels. Lifting off or braking will give the front extra bite, leading to this snap oversteer.

Best yet, learn to drift an MR car, and everything else will seem boring and mundane. And quite stable :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap-oversteer

Snap understeer is when your mid drift and the car just looses the drift and starts understeering to the outside of the corner.

Snap understeer is when your mid drift and the car just looses the drift and starts understeering to the outside of the corner.

Wouldn't that simply be understeer...I have never heard snapundersteer before....To stop snap oversteer...Just don't countersteer as much...To prevent understeer...Turn more...at entry...aka your not throwing the car hard enough.

I have found this thread very useful thankyou for all that had posted and i have come a long way since i started and i use a no oversteer or traction control and 20 understeer i have got good like this but idk

Back