drift speed...

• Thread starter 128d
  • 38 comments
I have a problem. For the life of me I can not seem to sustain enough speed in my drifts to keep them for any great length of time. I have tried just about every entrance speed and turn-in angle ant either I will only be able to keep it sideways for but a moment or I will get it sideways and stay that way as the car somehow continues straight. Anyone have any advice?

128d
I have a problem. For the life of me I can not seem to sustain enough speed in my drifts to keep them for any great length of time. I have tried just about every entrance speed and turn-in angle ant either I will only be able to keep it sideways for but a moment or I will get it sideways and stay that way as the car somehow continues straight. Anyone have any advice?

What type of car are you using? Tires?

Its GT3 and its with about any car I try. I have only been using the stock compound tires because I figured they would be the best suited for drifting.

nightkids4ever
in IRL or gt3
Why would he be asking in a gaming forum about drifting in real life.....? Did you even think when you wrote that?
You need more horsepower. And try sim tires.

Another thing you may need to do is change your angle during the drift to keep it going and downshift to give you more power.

From stock to around 300HP it would be prudent to use simulation tires... Anything above that, you can use normals, sports, or various racing tires...

Are you using MT or AT transmission?... AWD's or RWD's?...

;)

I am using the AT setting with a RWD car. I am also using the D pad too if that matters. I am so so as a drifter in real life and I have tried all the tricks I have learned to help but none of it seems to work.

Ryen49
Why would he be asking in a gaming forum about drifting in real life.....? Did you even think when you wrote that?
You need more horsepower. And try sim tires.

Another thing you may need to do is change your angle during the drift to keep it going and downshift to give you more power.
well we had IRL drifters here also and no ..i didn't think

I have tried the sim and sports and that helped a bit but I still dont have the speed. I gave MT a shot and its a bit overwhelming for me as a noob.

As one who is new at drifting (ok, I'm a drift n00b), I'm finding there's a fine line from not enough speed to too much speed. A lot of this depends on the car, of course. I'm breaking into drifting with medium to high power FR's and MR's (GT40 Road, Z06, XJ220 Road, Shelby Cobra, Viper Concept), using stock suspensions and Sim Tires. I'm having to adjust from running fast laps to setting up for drifting the turns, and linking drifts.

IMO, MT is essential for this, as kainzero said, so that you can keep your RPMs in the power band to the rear wheels. If your being overwhelmed by the transition from AT to MT, may I suggest first running a few Amateur League series, just racing, and using MT to get used to it. You really need shifting to become second nature when drifting, so you can concentrate on the driving (drifting) line and the countersteer. Some seat time, just driving with MT, will help shifting become second nature.

First ...how long are your drifts right now? For example, what turns can you drift, and what do you consider a long drift?

Second, what RWD car are you using, and how much HP do you have in it?

you should use sims with a 300HP. (i started out with a stock rx-7 sims around 300hp)

Good place your should practice is Midfield raceway the two long turns

attachment.php

Attachments

• midfield.JPG
    midfield.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 14
I gave MT a shot and its a bit overwhelming for me as a noob.
you should master MT before drifting. it's actually very useful...

before I used to drive AT and MT was like... way out there. but now i can't imagine driving without MT.

also, you should be using sims... try using them on a lightweight stock car, like a Silvia Spec Aero R or whatever (S15).

RX-7_FC_DrIfteR I can not drift either on a consistent basis usually I am only able to make it about halfway through before loosing speed an having to pull out early. I am using a 240sx with sims and all mods. (turbo’d and about 500HP I believe) I will give the MT a shot tonight and see if it helps. I can however drifts most of the turns on the “Deep Forest Raceway” pretty well.

128d
RX-7_FC_DrIfteR I can not drift either on a consistent basis usually I am only able to make it about halfway through before loosing speed an having to pull out early. I am using a 240sx with sims and all mods. (turbo’d and about 500HP I believe) I will give the MT a shot tonight and see if it helps. I can however drifts most of the turns on the “Deep Forest Raceway” pretty well.

Well then you could also start like this do each turn as if grip racing and half way through oversteer and try to drift from there on out. Then slowly work on doing more and more of one turn. Make sure your taking the proper line as well.

My first drift track is Trial Mountain. Use free mode and master one turn at a time. I think Trial Mountain is a good place to start drifting because it has a little bit of everything on the course.

For you 240sx whats your settings?

500 hp is abit much for a 240/180/200sx.. the best is around 250-280 hp... Like Rx said, Hang around Midfield or T.M to get used to the different turns and gradients. Oh and welcome to the drift forum NoQuarter, it's nice to see an OLR vet down here..

128d

500HP is way too much for a light car with sim tires... If you want to keep all that power, you're going to have to switch to normals or sports...

MT takes some time to get used to (unless you're like me and have never used AT)... Don't just give it a quick try... It's something that is going to take practice to get comfortable with... However, it is essential to a well controlled drift...

Try to remember this general rule... It should help:

Stock to 300HP = Sims
400HP to 650HP = Normals, Sports, Super Slicks to Medium Slicks
700HP to 1000HP = Soft to Super Soft

This of course is a general rule and varies slightly for each individual car, depending on weight and engine response mostly...

Post your settings and give a description of how you usually tackle a turn... Be specific and it will help us better diagnose whatever problems you may be having...

Also, Take out that 240SX completely stock on sim tires... This is the best way to learn good technique, in my opinion... Using a stock vehicle forces you to use weight transfer to initiate drifts, instead of just relying on power... Quite a few of the drifters here have used this method (including myself) and it has proven succesful... It not only forces you to learn good technique to get you through, but it also can give you insight on the base level handling characteristics for the vehicle. It is important to pay attention to the base level, so you will have somewhere to tune from...

;)

My settings for my 240 are...

Spring Rate: 4/4
Ride Height: 89/89
Shock Bound: 7/6
Shock Rebound: 7/6
Camber Angle: 3.0/0.0
Toe Angle: 2/0
Stabilizers: 7/6
Brake Balance: 10/25
LSD Initial: 5
LSD Accel: 5
LSD Decel: 15

ASM:0
TCS:0

I have found that seems to work out the best for me.

I"m gonna get in on this interesting thread now. =)
Well... i too have noticed that going through long corners, i seem to lose soo much of my entry speed and can't seem to finish the drift. What amazes me is that in the vids that people like SD/Sheron/CMD (not trying to leave anyone out, just naming the most impressional people) put out, they seem to keep their speed steady throught the entire drift.
My question is how do you do that? I'm on stock s14 w/sims. Whenever the car goes sideways, it always constantly loses speed through out the entire corner until i aggressively countersteer for the exit. It's mainly long corners like 1&2 on apricot hill or those 3 monsters on midfield. Halfway through, my car is very sideways and going so slowly that i hit the inside wall.
Is there some sort of weight shift technique for mid-drift that i haven't learned yet to help extend? How do you keep speed consistent? Just curious, thanks for any feedback =)

Just my two cents,
ChiShi

1 thing.. how long have you been driving the gt3? first try to master normal/grip driving.. try to use mildly tuned rwd-s and manual trans... as you will try to push harder, u are bound to experience oversteer at some point and at fairly hi cornering speed... then work from there.. try driving a dynamic track such as deep forrest.. stock fc and 1e86 work fine as a learning tool..

there is no easy way to learn drifting.. at the start i also tried drifting, but couldnt do it.. so i thought there is some trick with suspension settings or tyre choice.. but it really isnt.. you can drift anything, you just need the skill.. now playing the game for over a year intesively, i can drift good.. well i think i can.. =)

It's because you are counter-steering too much. Too much equals slow down in speed. Learn to use less counter-steer in a drift and that you don't have to always enter at 50+ degrees in a turn. On Midfield, I start with a very shallow drift then, when I'm almost to the clipping point, I let the angle reach up to 90 Degrees (This isn't recommended as it slows the car down ALOT, assuming it is FR) I have a video somewhere I'll upload later.

you must mean the first hairpin on midfield right? i also do it like that.. fast in, than ful out after the clipping point... you really must have a fast entry to sustain enough speed to drift throughout the entire hairpin..

but yea you are right, thats why i said that its a must to learn grip driving first, than drifting.. if you are a beginner to the game you usually tend to go slow b4 the corner and than just power over in it.. that is slow, and only low speed, short corners can be drifted that way.. when youre pushing it to the max in grip w/ a car that is not quite the grippiest, you WILL go sideways sooner or later.. and precise inputs to correct the oversteer are necesarry to sustain max speed throughout the corrner..

a novel by moi.. ****.. i write to much..

128d
My settings for my 240 are...

Spring Rate: 4/4
Ride Height: 89/89
Shock Bound: 7/6
Shock Rebound: 7/6
Camber Angle: 3.0/0.0
Toe Angle: 2/0
Stabilizers: 7/6
Brake Balance: 10/25
LSD Initial: 5
LSD Accel: 5
LSD Decel: 15

ASM:0
TCS:0

I have found that seems to work out the best for me.

While SD is certainly better at technical settings then me, I believe I can help you out a bit here.

Get your 240 in the 215-230hp range with Sims.

Ok, first, increase your spring rates. You want to be somewhere in the 10/7 - 12/9 Range. This will help stabilize your front tires while making the rear more susceptible to loosing traction.

Bound/Rebound: These aren’t bad. Mine are 7/7, but it shouldn’t be too much of a difference.

Camber Angle: You need some rear camber as well. I like about 4.0/2.0 on my 240 fastback.

Stabilizer: Turn these down. I have mine on 1/1. The point of drifting is to shift the weight. It’s quite difficult to shift the weight if the car is not able to have a little body roll.

Brake balance: This is more of a personal thing. But with settings as extreme as what you're using, it will make it very difficult to slow down without the rear end sliding out. Remember, there are sometimes when you just need to slow down before a corner. I usually go about 12/20

LSD: Set your Accel to anywhere from 35-50. This will help to give you more control over wheel spin with the throttle.

ASM/TCS: You’ve got that just right!

Give these settings a try and let us know what happens.

That's right Midnite. Remember, the tires that are doing the work and keeping you where you want to go are your front tires. With a bit more camber, they have better grip when oversteer occurs.

Jup, it really all depends on the car.. some setups work great on some cars, and on other they just suck.. thats why its good to drive stock cars quite alot n get to know car's natural charachteristics b4 you go all crazy tunning it..

more negative camber in front gives a car better front sliding properties, its a lot eassier to do inertia drifts, stuff thats really cool. =)

but then again its down to individual preferences.. i like my cars to be in slight understeer setup, so i can do wild transitions, and fast drifting.. also i drive w/ a pad and i cant be so gentle w/ the controls..

Latest Posts

Back