Drift Techniques

• Thread starter Loon
  • 33 comments
GTPLoon
D1 Loon
Which drift techniques do you think are the hardest and which ones do you think are the easiest.

I personally found the feinting to be the one I had trouble with. I'd either feint too much and go wide into the grass, or I'd come back with too much speed and weight transfer and spin out.

Power over was the easiest for me, just mash the gas and turn.

So what was it for y'all? Converse.....

clutch kick is the hardest. :scared: :dopey:

but i have no problem with most techniques.
feint is easiest for me because i use it so much.
not sure what the hardest is for me, because i just dont really have any certain technique that is the hardest. every corner can be attacked differently, esp on suzuka.

I can't shift lock......but then I bet most can't...it's a gt4 problem cause it rev matches...

I use everything when I drift...Usually its a combo of techniques...Fairly comfortable using Feint, brake, lift off, power over....The best way to learn is to try different drivetrains....as each require a different technique to drift....Feinting is easier in 4wd I find...Throw it sideways gas and let the 4wd fix everything....MR I find lift off very effective....and for FR a mix of feint and brake seem to work most consistently...

And depending on the strength of hp... power over....

I like doing Feints but i suck at those,
i tend to do Brake/ Lift Off's, where i brake, small feint and not mash throttle since i have poor drift entries.

I started off with feint, and I'm still on feint. Maybe caused I'm too used to using this technique since i started.

I would say that feint will be the hardest to master and perfect it. But when initiating a drift is being considered, i can say feinting can be applied on most cars, be it powerful or moderate. Maintaining the drifts for long corners using feint on a underpowered car will be a different issue.

Lift off technique will be the easiest for me on a car which is both oversteery and have adequate power on it. Lift off gives beginners enough time to react, and doesn't requires as much precision as feinting. Beginners normally requires more time in reacting to situations, therefore lifting off allows more time to adjust on your drift. Once you are happy with your angle, just feather your gas throughout the corner.

This are just my personnal opinion. Cheers brothers!

what would you suggest for a low-powered car?
in real life or in only GT4
doh.

for a low powered car, use feint and try to maintain as much speed around the corner as you can. you dont need much throttle control for low hp. just stay on the gas unless you really need to let off of it. if we had a clutch i would say bang the hell out of it, but no clutch=no clutch kick.

I only use feint and power over at my drifting skill level right now. For HUGE TURNS, (tuskuba's) I use feint espically, just because power over mainly sends me deep into a drift (angle) and that turn really cant have that big of an angle.

Sometimes when i get knocked up on a turn or two, i use the power over to keep my self gaining speed...

does that make any sense?

what would you suggest for a low-powered car?
in real life or in only GT4

A lot of throttle....For Low hp cars try and get back on the gas asap....and floored...your goin to need every little bit of it's hp...for both RL and gt4...

Does "Manji drift" counts? could have been the hardest drift technique to do in gt4.I always spin when i tried to do it (with a controller of course) and another difficult drift technique is Scandinavian flick and Dirt drop (hope everybody knows what that is)

I like using a mixture of the feint and e-brake drift, especially at high speeds. Sometimes the result could be 'wild'

Imagining the effects of that is wild enough.:scared:

I wouldn't be surprised at how you will be throwing your wheels(if you used one).

the basic techniques (no weight transition) are the easiest to use, so thats mean the e-brakes, shift lock (cant be done in GT4) and power over, all this techniques simply needs a good sense of timing, so the easiest one is certainly the Side ( E-brake) techniques. And to be honest, i hate E-brakes drifting, is too far easy, a good mean to learn how to drift at the beginning, but no more.

After that, you have the 3 other form of drifting, and weight transition is on too, braking, feint and lift off, braking is pretty easy to learn, you only need a good braking balance setting, now lift off, an easy one too, but its more tricky, cause you have to knom exactly when you have to release the gaz to initiate sliding, you have to know how the car feel before too to be more efficient in your drift, and after all this you have the Feint drift, for me is the hardest techniques, easy to learn, but like someone say before, more difficult than the other to master, so the only way to do this one at perfection, its parcticing, and practicing again.

Now for me, most of the time im using a combo of feint and braking drift, but i like to use some little lift off drift too, all depends of which car i use.

Sorry for my poor english :ouch:

Hmmm...To me they're all easy to me when initiating or in the middle of drifting.

but when i was new to gt4 the hardest was side brake and the easiest was feint and power over

yeah ive noticed im releying on the e brake alot more so now im trying not to use it ;;;;cept on those turns that are off center

A certain technique that was pointed out in the Drift bible, the Braking technique.
Which isn't my style, I think but I keep on trying to do it but the rear but when I just use feint/lift off more my style.

The certain way that is pointed out in the Drift bible, the Braking technique.
It isn't my style I think but I keep on trying to do it but the rear but when I just use feint/lift off more my style.

Is it just me or does anyone else have a hard time reading this?

Great topic loon.👍

As like most drifters, I started with the e-brake. This didnt do much for me however. Although there is one use for them that I use: If I use a different method and I start to straighten out than I will lesson my countersteer and tap it once or twice to get me back to the sideways world.

After my failure with the e brake, I moved on to power over: great technique for learning to exit a turn. Not that good for show though.

Then at this point, I learned of GTP and the Drift Bible. :dopey: This helped so much you couldnt believe.

I had already known about the feint technique, but had not used it much, same with braking, because I wasnt good at it. Then I figured out my problem, I was not doing the right throttle work. This was the point were a pair of guys started to help me on my way. (Loon and Tulok)

The braking method is what I use the most of the time because it makes it easy to control the speed. I usually combine this with feinting. I also practice some turns without using the brakes (I dont know what method this would be called)

The easiest for me braking and power over.

I cant really say the hardest, because you cant shift lock in GT4, but if I had to say one, it would be.........feint drifting.

As always
:cheers:

BLITZ

I cant really say the hardest, because you cant shift lock in GT4, but if I had to say one, it would be.........feint drifting.

As always
:cheers:

BLITZ
Though that we can get the basic principal of Feint drifting is the weight transfer but most of the drifting techniques have that principal. But we sway the car from out to in to get that weight transfer.

I've been accustomed to the ebrake method. I've transitioned out, and into feint drifting, but I still use the ebrake to help with the feint initiation, now and then. I only use the e-brake for initiations, here and there, but from what others are saying, I'm currently weening myself off of it.

Although others are against it, I use the Nitrous Kick. (Max nitrous+Tap R1 during drift.) It's helping me to transistion out of the e-brake technique, but I've still to understand why it's not good to use the nitrous.

Can anyone explain? (Without flaming me?, lol)

Well its because your car will straighten up mid-drift.Its not good also because your using the extra boost to get that extra speed into drifting,which is not natural. (unless your car is too underpowered,i can understand that)

Back