Drifting in Prologue...not impossible!

• Thread starter Tacet_Blue
  • 69 comments
A lot of people are saying that is v difficult in Prologue to get a proper drift going without use of e-brake.

Well I am new to drifting and managed to get a near 10 second drift.

Impreza WRX STi

edit: its a right click save target as...sorry..free hosting

Excuse the quality..if only I had a video capture card :(

If you want to see how it is done properly check out Sylviadrifter's video

CounterSteer Zero

I have mocked drifting in the past, but its quite fun...

I'm in practice for the Drift mode of GT4 :)

btw I've always found it hard to tell the difference between drifting, and bad driving :lol:

It's in the Post...I can smell it!

I've been training my arms for the Force Feedback by lifting a few pints :lol:

That wasn't a bad drift for a beginner :)

CRAP! Instead of putting this $700 i magically got towards the Skyline, i could have bought the wheel!

Tacet_Blue
A lot of people are saying that is v difficult in Prologue to get a proper drift going without use of e-brake.

Well I am new to drifting and managed to get a near 10 second drift.

Impreza WRX STi

edit: its a right click save target as...sorry..free hosting

Excuse the quality..if only I had a video capture card :(

If you want to see how it is done properly check out Sylviadrifter's video

CounterSteer Zero

I have mocked drifting in the past, but its quite fun...

I'm in practice for the Drift mode of GT4 :)

btw I've always found it hard to tell the difference between drifting, and bad driving :lol:

Thats a nice drift you got there, was it done on accident or can you consistently do that? impressive angles. Its not impossible to drift without ebrake in Prologue, you can obviously fient and trail brake, but for most of the other cars you lack HP from stock power so ebrake is necceasary to get good angles in Prologue. Did you do the drift with the wheel?
Can you show us a longer clip where you do more than one corner?

BreakerOhio
Thats a nice drift you got there, was it done on accident or can you consistently do that? impressive angles. Its not impossible to drift without ebrake in Prologue, you can obviously fient and trail brake, but for most of the other cars you lack HP from stock power so ebrake is necceasary to get good angles in Prologue. Did you do the drift with the wheel?
Can you show us a longer clip where you do more than one corner?

Cheers Breaker 👍 That was my best one.

It wasn't an accident, but I can't do it all the time. The back end slides out and goes in the dirt, thats why it carries so far.

I've got no room on that server, thats why the vids so short. Have you got x-port? I've attached the file it came from. Feel free to turn any into video. :)

I've only just got the DF Pro today :D :D so I'm on a learning curve. That was done with the good old DS2.

:cheers:

Attachments

• ImprezaWRX.xps
    42.2 KB · Views: 33
]
Tacet_Blue
The back end slides out and goes in the dirt, thats why it carries so far.

Exactly, thats not a proper drift. You might as well say, "drifting in prologue isn't hard, I do it all the time at Grand Canyon.". Using the dirt doesn't count, in my book, as a good drift, sorry. Using the dirt is cheap, you might as well use the e-brake. I say the e-brake is more welcome on tarmac, than going off the track. If you can do any rear wheel drive car in that game without using the dirt, I WANT THE VIDEO! Like the big 270 degree turn at New York, kick out that whole turn, with smooth countersteer, and a big angle, then I'll be impressed. Until then.

I've got to disagree dude.

In D1GP competition rules you get extra points for putting the back end in the dirt, and throwing up some dirt on the crowd. Ok there was no crowd there, but they would have sure got it :lol:

That drift does start on the tarmac you know :)

Also it is still called drifting on a rally track!

Prologue Lesson 17 "Practice your drifting techniques at high speed"

The x-port file has some more that might be more to your taste, but I'll keep trying anyway ;)

big up for JIM!

and that 27-degree turn...i got an M5 replay comin at the turn with 270 and when i let off the brake the car breaks out at a 120 slidin all the way through it...and again...DIRT DONT COUNT!

Tacet_Blue
Cheers Breaker 👍 That was my best one.

It wasn't an accident, but I can't do it all the time. The back end slides out and goes in the dirt, thats why it carries so far.

I've got no room on that server, thats why the vids so short. Have you got x-port? I've attached the file it came from. Feel free to turn any into video. :)

I've only just got the DF Pro today :D :D so I'm on a learning curve. That was done with the good old DS2.

:cheers:

It was nice a drift (for one corner), but if you say something like "drifting isn't so hard in Prologue" I hope you can really do well, I mean really well because I disagree with you, drifting is challenging, BUT not impossible. Back it up with more tarmac drifts. Be able to consistently do it on the road, like say on three consecutive corners. I can't consistently drift in GT4P like I can GT3 yet, because I have to be very precise with my enterance and angle, however I am getting there, I'm understanding the physics with the DFP. I can now drift in GT4P very well, in my opinion, but I still wouldn't say "drifting isn't so hard" because it IS hard to do, especially with the 900 degree wheel.

I'm drifting the Viper GTS, NSX, and Silvia consistently on the tarmac on new york and fuji. Can you show us some of your drifts in those tracks with more than one corner, else I think you are miss leading others about how simple it is to drift in GT4P. If you said "hey check out my drift" then I wounldn't have brought this up, but since you said "it isn't so hard" please show us more.

Below is a good example.

http://gwinbeer.com/drifting/vids/GtpDriftMusicVideo.wmv

BreakerOhio

I've seen that vid of yours before Breaker, I think it was in your sig at some time.

You obviously have more skill than me at drifting! The New York stuff is very impressive! 👍

The thread title maybe misleading but I was addressing the people that were saying that it was impossible without modifying the stock cars. I also state in my first post that I am a complete amateur, and I'm implying that if I could do it, then anyone could :)

But can I point out for JimX that in the first few seconds of that vid you drift across the dirt at Tsukuba...well in my opinion, that is still a very handsome drift, dirt or not!

How about I change the Thread title to Drifting in Prologue...not impossible! :)

If you look at my x-port file there is a drift there at Tsukuba almost identical to one of yours...its the last hairpin where you overcook it end up riding up the hump....me too :)

Oh...and it is much harder with the DFP in 900 degree mode...but I'll keep on trying ;)

Tacet_Blue
I've seen that vid of yours before Breaker, I think it was in your sig at some time.

You obviously have more skill than me at drifting! The New York stuff is very impressive! 👍

The thread title maybe misleading but I was addressing the people that were saying that it was impossible without modifying the stock cars. I also state in my first post that I am a complete amateur, and I'm implying that if I could do it, then anyone could :)

But can I point out for JimX that in the first few seconds of that vid you drift across the dirt at Tsukuba...well in my opinion, that is still a very handsome drift, dirt or not!

How about I change the Thread title to Drifting in Prologue...not impossible! :)

If you look at my x-port file there is a drift there at Tsukuba almost identical to one of yours...its the last hairpin where you overcook it end up riding up the hump....me too :)

Oh...and it is much harder with the DFP in 900 degree mode...but I'll keep on trying ;)

Well, by saying that your are a complete amateur and what you titled the thread "drifting isn't so hard", it puts the difficultly of drifting in GT4P to be something simple because the title of your thread would imply that drifting is easy to do in GT4P. Which I don't agree. Don't sweat it, the reason I made my reply was to clear things up for others that GT4P isn't really that easy to drift in, but still possible. There are videos out including ours that show that it is possible, its just not simple and not easy to carry the drift out of a bend. That is where I'm coming from. I just wanted to help clear this up. Anyhow again cheers to you for learning how to drift in GT4P. Keep at it. There is something unique about using the wheel that you have to do to get oversteer, maybe this new physics engine is really improved and portrays what D1 drivers really have to do. I won't talk about it just yet, I want others to notice it first. But there is a technique that you do to get oversteer with the RWD cars that worked in GT3 because of the steering assist, but for GT4P you have to add something else to it. Good luck discovering this.

Well guys i just found what is undoubtably the best car to drift in GT4P, the SL55 AMG, ohh can't beat that Ferrari engineering.

I'll post up a video later, but go out and use this car, it's amazing and doesn't have that stupid neutral stall when you upshift :D

I'll have a go with that SL55, I'm having a bit of nightmare with the DF Pro!
At the end of a drift with countersteer, I'm overcorrecting and I end up in a positive feedback loop!It makes me do a little fish tail dance until it finally spins off! :crazy:

There is no way to pause a reply, pressing start finishes it, its a pain if you are trying to take pictures!

Tacet_Blue
I'll have a go with that SL55, I'm having a bit of nightmare with the DF Pro!
At the end of a drift with countersteer, I'm overcorrecting and I end up in a positive feedback loop!It makes me do a little fish tail dance until it finally spins off! :crazy:

The only way I could prevent that from happening is to start controlling the drift with the throttle, but since I'm a drifting n00b I'm still not very good with it. I do think that's the key to it though, if you have to correct with steering alone the car will just start sliding, kill the drift and any chance on a nice exit out of the turn.

Arwin
but since I'm a drifting n00b I'm still not very good with it.

:) I'll try anything!

Check out all these drifting begginers trying to get in some practice for the GT4 drift mode :lol:

btw that includes me!

Arwin
The only way I could prevent that from happening is to start controlling the drift with the throttle, but since I'm a drifting n00b I'm still not very good with it. I do think that's the key to it though, if you have to correct with steering alone the car will just start sliding, kill the drift and any chance on a nice exit out of the turn.

Arwin is right. Here are more tips.
The key is to not be so heavy on the trottle when your "spidersenses" tell you that your front wheels are starting to correct the car.
When you feel the front tires start to guide the car, you need to start gradually straightening the wheel. Don't continue to opposite lock at the end of the drift, otherwise you will overcorrect and send the front of the car to the outside wall. If your front starts to overcorrect you can quickly help prevent it by letting off the gas, don't think that you can power over and correct it... its ok to take the foot off the gas, this is not need for speed. :)

I drift with the 900 degree logitech.

On tarmac, I drift on New York with the RX-7 or S14, its easy at some sort depending how much speed you come though and timing.

Mostly I'm on the Gran Canyon with the RX-7 or S14 yet again. It helps me more with countersteering and throttle control because its easy to lose traction.

There where times where I did a really good long drifts on New York and the Gran Canyon. For some reason I can't drift period on Tsukuba Circuit...

At times I wished I had the 2-way LSD to drift like on GT3 for GT4P.

Weather or not its not consider drifting on dirt, it helped Ken Gushi the 17 year old D1 driver, he before started to learn how to drift on dirt in the canyons where his dad used to take him for fun, now look at him, he's a pro without a license. lol (he's a year older than me)

Thanks for the tips guys, any more are welcome, I am still having most success with the 4WD WRX Suburu.

My RWD drifting is totally out of control! If you want to see pirouette's and 720's then I'm your man, but it just ignores my countersteer :crazy: The SL55 AMG is just far too frisky for me. RyosukeFCDS are you using the wheel or a pad with that, because I found the steering travel too long.

Breaker I have no idea how you manage to break away the back end of the NSX Zero and keep it under control! I think it is to do with what you touch on here:

BreakerOhio
But there is a technique that you do to get oversteer with the RWD cars that worked in GT3 because of the steering assist, but for GT4P you have to add something else to it. Good luck discovering this.

What is this secret that you speak of Drift master :)

I use the Fairlady Z or the SL55 AMG. I just love the way the SL55 slams thru the gears. NO slipping when it shifts at all! Makes for fun drifting. The EVO is also good drift car. Try different tires and you will see how well it works.

MARKY D
For some reason for 4WD vehicles, it's easier to induce drift than FR vehicles. Why is that?

I've noticed that.

I'm guessing, but is it because when you have the wheels turned and gas it, the car tries to pivot on its axis as the wheels fight to go in different directions. The front wheels wnat to go with you, but the back wheels relative to the front are going in a different direction, so it pulls the car around...

Also I noticed in the D1GP there was a rule stating that 4WD cars are not allowed!! maybe because it is too easy, compared to FR/MR cars.

btw on the MR cars thing, don't try drift in the Lotus :lol: You want 900 degrees of rotation...you got it!!

Actually I've got a x-port of the Lotus at Grand Canyon, its quite an effort to stop it spinning all the time :crazy:

Attachments

• LotusGrandCanyon.xps
    57.1 KB · Views: 21
4WD! suppose 4WD drift is hard, especially those with 50/50 power distrubution.

However those cars in GT4P aren't, Lancer/Impreza has more power on the real wheel, for Skyline, they have even more power distrubute to the rear wheel, like 20/80.

And except those 660cc 4WD cars, most 4WD cars in this game have enough power to slide the wheel, so you think it's easier for them to drift. But in real world, make a 4WD to drift is much harder than a FR

Tacet_Blue
Thanks for the tips guys, any more are welcome, I am still having most success with the 4WD WRX Suburu.

My RWD drifting is totally out of control! If you want to see pirouette's and 720's then I'm your man, but it just ignores my countersteer :crazy: The SL55 AMG is just far too frisky for me. RyosukeFCDS are you using the wheel or a pad with that, because I found the steering travel too long.

Breaker I have no idea how you manage to break away the back end of the NSX Zero and keep it under control! I think it is to do with what you touch on here:

What is this secret that you speak of Drift master :)

The secret is in the wheel, there are no steering assists present and you have to think about which way the front wheels need to face to help swing the rear out. I can't show a replay yet because the replays don't have wheel shots. What you have to image is if I asked you to bring the right rear of the car out by just using the wheel, what direction would you turn the wheel??? To the right of course. I'll leave it at that for right now. Thats a good tip already, if you can work with that you will discover that you can get a drift angle with almost all the cars in GT4P if you apply this technique to your drifts.

If you get good with this, then you don't even have to use street tires. You can drift with Normal tires or the other choice, I believe its slicks or softs?

Try the Silvia K. This car is balanced well for drifting. Take it for a spin around the New York track. Fient and trail brake, and this is one of the few cars that I find that can drift out of the bend. You won't need the ebrake with this car.

Breaker dude :)

I'll have a go with the Sylvia, I tried to understand what you said in the other post, but it was too Zen for me :lol: I was sitting with my hands pointing them to the right, and going rear right back end to the left, no...point nose to right.

I'm still poor with the wheel at drifting, can't get countersteer timing right yet. I'm always too late!

I've been practising normal racing on road tyres with the wheel, round Citta, and I'm back on pace with my DS2 times. :)

What do you think of my Subaru Legacy B4 2.0 GT specB 1:49.767 @Citta. 100% clean of course. See, I'm not rubbish :P

A Class Cars

I'll get back to drifting, I've got my wheel set up, so I'll try the Sylvia tonight 👍

Tacet_Blue
Breaker dude :)

I'll have a go with the Sylvia, I tried to understand what you said in the other post, but it was too Zen for me :lol: I was sitting with my hands pointing them to the right, and going rear right back end to the left, no...point nose to right.

I'm still poor with the wheel at drifting, can't get countersteer timing right yet. I'm always too late!

I've been practising normal racing on road tyres with the wheel, round Citta, and I'm back on pace with my DS2 times. :)

What do you think of my Subaru Legacy B4 2.0 GT specB 1:49.767 @Citta. 100% clean of course. See, I'm not rubbish :P

A Class Cars

I'll get back to drifting, I've got my wheel set up, so I'll try the Sylvia tonight 👍

I have a two lap replay of the Silvia drifting around New York without using any ebrake. I can upload it later.

Back