Drive Hub Racing Wheel Converter

• Thread starter VBR
  • 3,306 comments
Has Sony or Microsoft patched out devices like this in the past?

Do we think they will?

I ask because I have a CSR Elite sitting in my closet in its original box that I would really like to use.

I don't want to spend $90 and have it shot down in 6 months.

I'm confused. Hasn't ChronusMax already released a firmware for their current adapters that allow FFB to work with wheels on PS4 and Xbone? How's this any different?

Anyway, in the not so distant future, GIMX will be releasing firmware that will allow for Xbox One compatibility with their adapters, in addition to the already PS4 and PC support. Plus it's much cheaper and isn't restricted to just *some* wheels. *ANY* wheel can be used with GIMX doesn't matter who the manufacture is or how old it is, including OSW's, Thrustmasters, etc.
My understanding is that GIMX still requires you to attach to a PC?

The way I see it, GIMX is ideal for the PC racer who has a high end wheel and wants to also use that rig with consoles. Whereas ChronusMax sounds like it caters more for the multiplatform console user: Plug and play but limited to console-class wheels.
I believe with the GIMX you would still need a PC to be running in order to use the wheels on consoles.

The CronusMax Pro was pretty much plug n play without the need of any PC, however a universal hub is needed in order for it to work.

So perhaps this new product is the same as the Cronus Max Pro but now, without the need of a universal hub?

Yay, a solution that doesn't require all those other pesky steps. Just plug an play. Price is abit up there but if this works as well as they say it does, totally worth it. Now to look at the (Morally questionable) options I have to attain that money...

Last edited:
I wish this would make my CSW V2 work with my Xbox 360. Will Microsoft and Sony step-in and disallow the use of this product in the future? Could they do that?

My understanding is that GIMX still requires you to attach to a PC?

The way I see it, GIMX is ideal for the PC racer who has a high end wheel and wants to also use that rig with consoles. Whereas ChronusMax sounds like it caters more for the multiplatform console user: Plug and play but limited to console-class wheels.
You can use a Raspberry Pi with the GIMX adapter if needed to avoid the use of a PC.

I'm confused. Hasn't ChronusMax already released a firmware for their current adapters that allow FFB to work with wheels on PS4 and Xbone? How's this any different?
The Max needs a USB hub and a controller. This looks like they basically took the hub and Max and made it one unit in a new race oriented plastic box. It's probably 99% identical to a Max.

Never had much input lag using my g27+Max on PS4 so I doubt this will either.

need 3 USB inputs...for the Fanatec CSP V3, Th8a Shifter and T300rs wheel base...(& ended up having a dedicated PC for racing games)

The Max needs a USB hub and a controller. This looks like they basically took the hub and Max and made it one unit in a new race oriented plastic box. It's probably 99% identical to a Max.

It was my understanding, there was or is NO input lag when using the Cronus Max wheel edition. So is there some noticeable lag? To me if there is lag, these devices are just so so work arounds.

I always thought the Cronos Max duped the console into thinking you were using a controller. That's why FFB was approximated and steering wasn't very responsive. The Drive Hub is claiming to be recognised as a supported FFB wheel. So it should feel 100x better than any of the Maxes.

Lag is my concern, and I do expect at least Microsoft to rain on this parade. At least on the Xb1. I don't think they'd prevent it from working on the 360. - This is just my guess though. It could fly completely under the radar, because they didn't defeat any of the Chrono's Max converters AFAIK.

:edit: My guess on the Maxes performance came from reading FM.net and what its users said about it. Also it's an opinion on the Cronous Max for the XB1.

Last edited:
Yes. I had a gt3 and upgraded to a v1 only to find out someone scammed me. The v1 was defective. Then ps screwed me. I then bought a v2 with thoughts of a work around, I said forget it and got a xbox1. Got horizon3 which was not really wheel friendly. Bought Forza 6 but the disk was jacked went to return it but I waited to long on ebay. Now I am ordering this and my play seat shortly. I also started to build back up my computer since I let it go for way too long. I am super excited. Finally. Now I can go back and check out atteso.

Hmm, if this has any way of allowing an accessory on an already compatible setup then they're about to make a few more sales.
Thinking here that I wouldn't mind a handbrake for my G29/PS4 setup. Not sure they're doing that sort of thing though, the limited information seems to be around mapping your 'old' wheel to a new one so that it works on the new consoles.

All credit to them, I hope the bigwigs don't feel the need to block it!

Does anyone know if this will work for future consoles because I would hate to replace my G29 like I did with my G27. I would love for my G29 to work on the PS5.

I hope SONY is not able to take any legal action against creators of the hub, that there is no lag and that the creators can override any PS4 updates that would try to make it not work.

I own every SONY console since PSX i support the brand all the way by buying games, PS+ subscriptions etc, however since what SONY is doing in the subject of driving wheels - wheels not working on new platforms - is just a clear rabble I will only buy GT Sport and Project Cars 2 if the hub works, without lag and SONY is not able to do anything about it.

I planned to buy Gimmix, however the hub is much superior without necessity of using PC, configuration, DS4 being on all the time. One plus I see for Gimmix is - I think they are able to update firmware very easily and I am not so sure about the hub.

Am I wrong or there are already users who own the hub? - can you please answer regarding the lag?

I hope SONY is not able to take any legal action against creators of the hub, that there is no lag and that the creators can override any PS4 updates that would try to make it not work.

I own every SONY console since PSX i support the brand all the way by buying games, PS+ subscriptions etc, however since what SONY is doing in the subject of driving wheels - wheels not working on new platforms - is just a clear rabble I will only buy GT Sport and Project Cars 2 if the hub works, without lag and SONY is not able to do anything about it.

I planned to buy Gimmix, however the hub is much superior without necessity of using PC, configuration, DS4 being on all the time. One plus I see for Gimmix is - I think they are able to update firmware very easily and I am not so sure about the hub.

Am I wrong or there are already users who own the hub? - can you please answer regarding the lag?
http://cronusmax.com/manual/firmware_recovery.htm

Good news. Apparently there is updated firmware available for even their older cards.

If you have a PC with a USB port the hub will be as easy to update as downloading the update and connecting it via USB to your PC, just like the cmax.

For the nth time...THERE IS NO LAG THAT I CAN DETECT.

If you have a PC with a USB port the hub will be as easy to update as downloading the update and connecting it via USB to your PC, just like the cmax.

For the nth time...THERE IS NO LAG THAT I CAN DETECT.
I think what is happening is people are confusing the Cronus Max cards and other newer cards to some of the older cards that have come out by several different companies in years past.

I've done some research with this over the past couple of months, and from what I have read, the older products from about 4 or 5 years ago had their issues. However, there hasn't been any complaints whatsoever on lag issues with the newer stuff.

Looks like this is the route I'll be taking with my G-27 for the PS4

Nice idea, but Sony won't allow this for long. Expect a firmware update shortly after to kill it. I will sell my T300rs, the proceeds going towards the Tx wheel for the one x. It should cost me around the same as this.

It would be great to know if they ever plan to extend the support to flight sticks as well.
I'd like one for playing Elite Dangerous on my PS4, but the only supported stick is a shoddy Thrustmaster...

Nice idea, but Sony won't allow this for long. Expect a firmware update shortly after to kill it. I will sell my T300rs, the proceeds going towards the Tx wheel for the one x. It should cost me around the same as this.
Don't forget that the base model TX comes with a rather crappy plastic rim.

Unless you are already running a different rim than the stock T300 one, I'd suggest you consider buying a TX stand-alone wheelbase. Swap it in, shelve the T300 wheelbase but reuse existing rim and pedals. Otherwise you might find yourself needing to buy a new rim soon after your TX purchase.

Don't forget that the base model TX comes with a rather crappy plastic rim.

Unless you are already running a different rim than the stock T300 one, I'd suggest you consider buying a TX stand-alone wheelbase. Swap it in, shelve the T300 wheelbase but reuse existing rim and pedals. Otherwise you might find yourself needing to buy a new rim soon after your TX purchase.
That was the plan as i have the Ferrari f1 rim. However, after shopping around, unbelievabley, it is cheaper to buy the whole thing than just the standalone Tx wheelbase. I wouldn't be doing any of it if my T3pa pro pedals weren't compatible. I may treat myself to a nice new rim at Christmas though !

I now have pretty much all Logitechs g25/27/29
Thrustmaster T300 & T500
And an OSW
All work fine with GIMX no need for anything else.
If you think I'm bluffing look
20170822_033418.jpg

There is nothing wrong with this but GIMX also work like charm on anything.

I now have pretty much all Logitechs g25/27/29
Thrustmaster T300 & T500
And an OSW
All work fine with GIMX no need for anything else.
If you think I'm bluffing look
20170822_033418.jpg

There is nothing wrong with this but GIMX also work like charm on anything.
I got to look into it. Does GIMX work on Xbox One?

Well...this could change my plans and save me some money, at least in the short run.

As my set-up is more for Xbox I'll be waiting for the sword of Damocles to drop from Sony's end.

I wish this would make my CSW V2 work with my Xbox 360. Will Microsoft and Sony step-in and disallow the use of this product in the future? Could they do that?

No one is answering because I don't think anyone really knows.

Hence the reason I'm not buying it yet as I don't want my $90 getting patched out.

XXI

Hence the reason I'm not buying it yet as I don't want my $90 getting patched out.

My same exact reason why o haven't ordered one either.

Sony haven't patched out any of the other converters available on the market, & that includes the Cronus Max Plus with PS4 Wheel Edition mode; so I think it very unlikely that they would single out the Drive Hub. Also, it's in their best financial interests to leave it alone; firstly it would cost them time & money to work out how to kill it, & secondly they would lose some console sales because sim racing Xbox owners would now buy a PS4 because they can use their XB1 wheel on it via Drive Hub. Although nobody knows what will happen, it's very unlikely that they will seek to stop it.

The drivehub works AMAZING!, Far better than Gimx, (and pretty close to the cost of getting a raspberry Pi, and required serial usb adapter to run gimx (i've ran this myself as well)I own a fanatec CSR Elite wheel, CSPv3's fanatec clubsport shifter, and handbrake, and all function as if it was natively plugged into the console...Fanatec wheels emulate fanatec wheels (xb1 or ps4 wheels etc) logitech emulates the logitech, and thrustmaster emulates thrustmaster to provide maximum compatibility and feel! There is zero detectible lag of any sort!. I've been betatesting this product since last year, and am blown away at how plug and play it is, works flawlessly with my logitech g25 wheel as well, no need to configure anything, simply plug in and race! The price is cheap considering you no longer have to own multiple wheel setups for every console! I own the beta pcb but would gladly buy the retail version myself... this is how satisfied I am with the product! The cm team goes over and above what is necessary to provide the best experience, and has no problem adding wheel support as time goes on! This belongs in any console sim racers setup! Believe me, you won't be disappointed! truly idiot proof! You also don't get the fancy rev led's via ps4 with the gimx

XXI

It is impossible to support xbox 360, as the wheels that worked on 360(fanatec and ms wheel) both used the proprietary ms wireless protocol. Xbox one and ps4 force feedback wheels work via USB, this is why they are able to have full functionality on these consoles! It is also a waste to develop a product for a console that is end of life! If they could support it with ease they would, but because of the proprietary ms wireless protocol it isn't going to happen!

It is completely different and more powerful than the normal cronusmax... The cronusmax plus only supported the g25/g27 wheel and ps4... Drive hub supports xb1 ps4, and a whole pile of wheels/peripherals, thrustmaster / logitech shifters etc!

XXI
Has Sony or Microsoft patched out devices like this in the past?

Do we think they will?

I ask because I have a CSR Elite sitting in my closet in its original box that I would really like to use.

I don't want to spend $90 and have it shot down in 6 months.

It's pretty impossible to patch this out as it would risk the possibility of the actual wheels its emulating failing to function!. The drive hub basically looks to the console like the actual wheel it's emulating and shows up as such in the games control options! for example, using a g25/g27 on xbox or ps4 , the console will see a g29 or g920 wheel!.. .same goes for fanatec and thrustmaster wheels, The console will see the corresponding actual xb1 or ps4 version of the wheel!

That surprised me too. They support everything under the sun, except for that model.
These wheels are literally new, and I wasn't even aware of their existence. You can bet 100% they will do what they can to fully support these. This isn't just restricted to console based wheels, They just wanted to support all of the mainstream wheels that most people have when launching. There is nothing stopping them from adding other wheels in the future!

Last edited:
Back